Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Ozymandius posted:

Pedalboard is almost complete, just need a an intense and amazing digital delay. If the budget calls for it, a Empress Super Delay, if not then I'll most likely go with a Time Machine.

Dude, were you ever on Noiseguide before Stimbox got booted? I'm sure I recognise that setup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

:neckbeard: Korg KP3 FX Sampler. The only accessories needed are beer and a mic.

Fender Jaguar HH Player Series in Olympic White. Mine is named Kim after Ms Deal and Ms Gordon- gotta give your guitar a lady's name- it just won't sound right otherwise!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Das Butterbrot posted:

I just got one of those today and using it together with a Kaossilator Pro is awesome! :2bong:

It's great, isn't it!

The manual is sparse as gently caress, and I seriously wouldn't bother with an SD card for loading samples cos it takes forever- you are better off recording them off an mp3 player/whatever- just remember to tag your samples with bpm values.

Here's a tip to make syncing stuff easier if you do beatboxing (I don't do much, but it's something I do occasionally so my timing is awful)-

Choose your tempo, set the loop recorder length to 1 and go 'chk'- you've then basically got a metronome going to jam along to.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

pennywisdom posted:

Downsized my Keystation 88es to this and couldn't be happier.

You sonnuvabitch! I've been eyeing the MPK25 up for a while now. How are the pads? Do they feel convincingly MPC-like?

Content: One of these nifty little gizmos on the way! :dance:

I will post a trip report once it's arrived.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

rt4 posted:

Nah, plenty of solid state amps take a couple seconds for capacitors to charge or something.

I have a Marshall 'Valvestate' and that can take a good few secs to warm up.

In other news, the Vox Time Machine is awesome- absolutely transparent in that it doesn't affect your tone at all, whether it's on or bypassed.

There's a nice variety of sounds you can get, from pristine digital echoes through to slowly degrading tape-esque throbs.

My favorite bit has to be the chickenhead knobs- they are really easy to tweak and it's nice to be able to glance down and know what's what instantly.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

communistdew posted:

And, while exciting, it is overshadowed by the arrival of my Monotron.

Analog, battery-powered Korg synthesizer. I pictured them together for size comparison. Look at the size of that thing! It's teensy! And you can hook a guitar through it. Or any other sound source. Exciting!!

Have you tried running any other audio through the Monotron yet? It has the same filters as an MS20 and can apparently bring the squelch like nobody's business.

My latest purchase: Peavey Bandit 112. Got it 2nd hand from a pawn shop for £130, loud as gently caress for it's size. Pedals left to right for those who care: Vox Time Machine delay, Ibanez CF7 chorus/flanger [wouldn't recommend it really, but can get some almost ringmod-like tones out of it, and I got it cheap] Marshall Shredmaster distortion, Boss DS1.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

communistdew posted:

It certainly does. I've hooked it up to my..ahem..phone and played a little keyboard app through it. You can seriously mess with the sounds. I have to get my amp out in order to play my guitar through it, but so far I'm pretty impressed.

I don't think you can play a guitar straight through it without an amp, but if anyone knows how to do that, then I am obviously doing something wrong.

And you can squelch the night away.

You basically need some kind of amp or pedal with a preamp to generate a signal- even a lovely multi-fx should do it.

Alternatively, if your guitar amp has an fx loop, try it with that? That's what i do with my Kaoss Pad.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Agreed posted:

I am hurting for this trip report, man, surely it has arrived by now!

Oh yeah, sorry! (I have been basically living at work the last week or so).

Anyway, the Vox Time Machine is (as pretty much every other review out there says) one of the most transparent pedals you ever heard. Seriously, it has zero line noise whether on or off.

There is a 'hi-fi/lo-fi' toggle that flips between a totally pristine delay sound, and a slightly modulated one that loses bandwidth with each repeat, though you gotta whack up the feedback to really get the most out of this as it can be quite subtle with fewer repeats.

Delay times run between 1ms and SIX loving SECONDS, allowing mental 'pipe' effects, and some nice thickening all the way through to 'I don't even remember playing that' levels of ambient soundscapes. It's also possible to get a weird recreation of that 'tape pile-up' effect if you crank the feedback and mess about with the very short delay times.

Holding down the tap tempo button switches between the aforementioned pure digital delays (hi-fi setting plus green light= perfect recreation) and a more modulated analogue-type tone, which combines nicely with the lo-fi setting.

Whilst it's never gonna compete with something like the Boss RE201 Space Echo for analogue style sounds (tbh, it's not designed for that), it can offer a nice character to your tone, and I found getting Wes Borland-y sounds a breeze.

It also sounds really nice and clear with a bass guitar- I've always struggled with getting nice echoes on my bass, but not with this one- add a bit of chorus and you can pretend you are in Tool.

TLDR; I love it, but it's not for everyone- if you want murky analogue style echoes, you'd be better off looking elsewhere, but if crystal clear delays and a really simple, friendly interface (those chicken head knobs are FANTASTIC, I wish all pedals had them!) with a bit of character that lets your playing, rather than 'the effect' shine through, then try one out. Just remember to do it after payday.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Agreed posted:

I'd still love some clips, if you can record it?

I'd love to, but I've just had to do a scorched earth on my pc and I gotta reinstall EVERYTHING, so don't hold your breath!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
As you may tell, BittyWings is on a guitar gear binge at the moment. My latest purchase is one of these bastards
which I have been after for ages.

Really looking forward to trying some of the less famous (basically NOT the '2 octave up') settings on it!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Agreed posted:

Friggin' Death Metal pedal :argh:

I'd avoid the DM unless you simply MUST have it. It's a bitch to get useable sounds out of, and prices are so high because of hipster harsh-noise feedback looper wannabes that saw a Merzbow video and thought 'ME TOO!!!!'.

If fact, you can blame the unreasonable 2nd hand price of pretty much any older distortion pedals, no matter how terrible, on these guys.

If you are in the UK, I can lend/sell/whatever one of the DOD model Death Metals if that helps?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

the wizards beard posted:

These are actually quite sought after in the harsh noise/power electronics scene. The DODs sell for a bit more than the Digitechs though.

It's amazing how stuff like the DOD gets reappropriated- it's a one trick pony as far as guitar goes really, however, because it has two outputs and self-oscillates it has become famous on the noise scene as a tone generator (as well as a distortion). You can get some neat little thereminy sounds out of it if you know what you are doing.

In more on topic news, my Whammy 4 arrived and I have been playing Mad Capsule Markets bass all afternoon.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

man thats gross posted:

Been watching all the usual suspects for a decent price on this for a while. I want one, but there's no way I'm paying retail.

Got mine for £110 because it was ex-display and has a TINY bit of paint missing. The chorus modes on it are surprisingly usable- nice for that 'Freak on a Leash' style fading in of chorus on certain notes.

As expected, 2 octaves up is pretty useless (unless you want to communicate with your dog), but the lesser sung modes (the actual octaver, the whole step downtune) on it are cool.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

40sTheme posted:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Best cheap pedal ever.

Modded mine for less bass, more mids by swapping 2 resistors.

Easily a $150 pedal now.

Dude, does your DS-1 screech like an owl in heat when used in a chain? Doesn't matter where I put the drat thing, or whether it's on or not, even if it is on its own (ie guitar> DS-1 >amp) it constantly emits an 'EEEEEEEEE'.

In other news, found a used original Crybaby for £30- missing a foot and had to screw the pot back in place, otherwise it's spot on.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Hubis posted:

what are you powering it with?

Tried with both a daisy chain and a separate PSU. Strangely, I have one of those lovely Behringer distortion modeller things that does a DS1, a Rat and a D+, and when on the DS1 setting, it makes exactly the same noise, at the same pitch, when the other two settings don't. :psyduck:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Kilometers Davis posted:

Extended range family portrait

NWS that poo poo man, it's the guitar equivalent of a triple penetration scene.
I recently picked up a Harley-Benton something or other 7 string off Ebay for £80- came fitted with a .52 low B. WHY?!?!?! .60'd that poo poo straight away, made a huge difference. Don't have a pic, but it looks like somebody has been studying Ibanez very closely.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Wow man, you did well there! If you're using Traktor, a quick poke about the DJ Tech Tools site will get you a really nice 4 deck .tsi file for the BCD3000.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
USA Big Muff arrived a couple of days ago, but you all know what they look like. Will prob get around to posting my collection in the pedalboard thread tomorrow (if I can find a non-corrupt SD card for my camera) as it's grown a lot recently.

Having used the 'Big Fuzz' on Guitar Rig 4, and the 'fuzz' setting on my ME-25, I was absolutely blown away by how... alive my Jag sounds now- seriously cannot compare between copies and the real thing. The tone knob is more versatile than the rest of my distortions (except maybe the Metal Muff) combined, the sustain lets you go from a little bite to full on NIN-style breakup and it's pretty loving loud.

Only dislikes are the stupid proprietary power in and maybe the background hiss at high volumes. Other than that, fully recommend it- my brother listened for about 10 minutes before ordering himself one.

edit: Sounds great with a bass too- can get that 'Hysteria' tone real easy.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Actually had this since the 3rd, but it's taken that long (plus a fresh install on Windows :argh:) to get the drat thing working. Still, now it works like a dream, very intuitive mapping and looks purdy when it's all lit up. Just be warned- Automap (which is essentially vital to the Nocturn's use) seems to work much better on older systems- worked first time on my Dad's 7 year old Dell, 3 weeks struggle to work on win 7 x64.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

HKR posted:

That's because most musical instrument drivers are still written for 32 bit windows and have virtually no support for 64 bit windows, let alone support for windows vista/7.

Automap 3's latest few versions are designed for 64 bit systems and Win 7- it was my system, not the hardware/software that was the issue- seems a lot of these sort of issues (not just with Automap) are down to Windows' bizzare permissions and registry management.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I reckon about 60-70% of my gear has been bought for much less than RRP due it being 'ex-display'- off the top of my head this includes a Whammy 4, a Vox Time Machine, Boss SYB-5 and a Nocturn 25 Keyboard, all at LEAST £30 off RRP due to sitting out it's box on a shelf or a tiny scuff or similar.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Boss DR 202 and SP 202, drum machine and sampler. It's like having Reason 2.5 sat on my desk!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

MrLonghair posted:

"Heh, I'll drop this tiny bid on the auction anyway, no way it's going to go for that little money"

(later)

"Wait what"

Quite fancy drum-machine with a lot of basses from 1998, I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of the samples and the capabilities, did not expect to be able to tune 808 kicks with a lengthy decay and bass boost to the values at which my monitors give up, and my HD25 headphones give me bassy eargams that turns the content of my intestines into easily-extracted slush..

More than decent menu and sequencer system for being a two-line non-backlit LCD machine, it is from 98 after all. So good I can actually disregard my plan of getting a fully analogue 808 clone from MFB.

Hey dude, I got one of these too, it's a really sweet little box. However, have you had any issues with the sequencer making GBS threads itself when you try to save a user pattern (both realtime or step) and resetting the unit? Even weirder, it still saves the pattern, so it isn't totally dead, just a workflow killer. Everything else works fine, so I'm guessing it's just a quirk cos it's so old.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

MrLonghair posted:

I'm using mine as a sound-playing slave sequenced from my MPC, I dig the filter and the low boosting but in the end it's another drum machine I might as well sample and put on the MPC, got outboard equipment that can filter and bigbottom the signal so bring on the MFB-523!

I managed to get ahold of one of the old blue and yellow 4x4 Midisports so I'm now using Ableton to sequence it- was shockingly easy to setup, I was expecting the usual chore of making Win 7 recognize it but M Audio are really on it with their drivers.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
This is probably gonna sound silly, but do you heavy pick users have a problem with breaking strings? Whilst the concept appeals to me (I have a couple 1.5mm's that I use on my 7 string, which is generally in drop A), I'm paranoid about breaking stings because I naturally play quite hard.

What sort of genres are you using them for, are they that versatile?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Thanks for all your answers! I'm really surprised by types of things you guys are playing- I was assuming it was mainly gonna be super downtuned djent-type stuff, not necessarily a bad thing, but it's nice to see they have a reasonably wide range of applications. Will definitely look into them when I have some spare dough.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Thorpe posted:

I run a baritone 8 string tuned down to as low as low C# below bass E.

Holy poo poo man, what sort of music are you playing? If you're in a band, what is the bassist tuned to (if you have one)? My bass cab, admittedly only a 4x12, barely handles my five string.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Thorpe, that sounds pretty cool, guess anything that low is gonna be heavy, and it sounds interesting that you are approaching it with bass techniques.

Although not strictly 'new' my last guitar was a very cheap Harley Benton 7 string off eBay, the neck feels nice and solid but the intonation is out by the third fret when tuned any lower than B Standard, probably due to the dreadful floating trem, which I've now blocked. My advice to anyone looking at extended range instruments is spend that bit more, and for the love of god get a hardtail! I've had numerous cheap sixes that have all played ok, and sold my first cheap 7 years ago for the exact issues I'm having with this one. Maybe this time I've learnt my lesson!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
My Jag has the "between the strings" trem and its a bit of a hassle to sort the locking button. For those not in the know, there's a "button" you can slide that locks the trem to downward bends only, which helps it hold tuning/intonation better. As mentioned above you can do some cool upward bends with your palm as there's so much string behind the saddles, as well as the Sonic Youth/Placebo chimes. Would be quite cool to have a cheap guitar with that bridge style and tune it so the strings behind the bridge were in a scale, but that would probably make the neck side sound pretty bad. Not that that would bother SY fetishists.

Its still nowhere near as bad as the cheap 7 string Floyd Rose ripoff I had that I ended up only restringing twice in 18 months to set up mind you.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
First new guitar in 6 years arrived today! Ibanez S520-WK

It weighs nothing yet sustains for days

edit: not posting off my phone so now pictures work!

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 1, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The Edge trem is pretty twitchy but I'm digging it, only had super-lovely licensed Floyds before that I've always ended up blocking.
Disclaimer: I like the standard Jaguar trem system so my opinions on trems are not to be taken seriously

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I only recently switched to Cubase (Ableton user for years before) and after the initial hump of option paralysis its pretty straightforward to get going. Will take years to get anywhere remotely close to mastering it but it's actually not too bad, especially if you don't have ingrained DAW hotkeys to unlearn.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
And the surfboard guitar, what a joyful instrument.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It has got a lot less "GBS" in there now thankfully, much less repetitive (pretty much the only thread in that forum I read), and as said by someone above its more a mostly-but-not-exclusively-guitar based chat thread.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

JohnnySmitch posted:

Re: Danelectro pedals - don't forget the short-lived "Wasabi" line, most of which were also pretty cool (and huge and 10 pounds heavy)

I have the Wasabi Chorus/Trem and whilst it does sound vintage and watery as hell (ie great with a Jag) I ended up disconnecting the trem section because the footswitches are so drat close together that I'd keep turning it on by accident when I only wanted chorus.

And it clips like a motherfucker with any even lukewarm input.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
http://i.imgur.com/fG6XQJR.jpg

Not a purchase as such as it's free but holy poo poo through some SVT 8x10 impulses does this sound SO loving good. Easily the best VST bass amp (including Amplitube and Guitar Rig) I have ever used.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I could only ever get French shipping forecasts and static/weird tones last time I tried. Good for ambiences I guess

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I was so torn between the Blackberry finish and the natural black I eventually chose on my S. I also keep pulling the high E off the board, it seems very close to that edge which is weird with such a broad flat neck.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Nice, you gonna bird it?
My mate in a crossover thrash band had never had a "nice" guitar before, just 2nd hand beaters until he went guitar shopping for his 25th birthday, of all the things he could have picked for the music he plays the PRS SE won out and years down the line its still going strong and sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hey Agreed it's nice to see you around. I've missed your posts and I'm glad to hear you're doing well :)

I'm considering EZDrummer 2 at the moment actually. That and Superior are my top two options. I should get to it soon and just pick one to roll with instead of jumping back and forth so much.

How interested are you in control over your drum sound? EZ Drummer sounds really good out the box and is more geared towards getting songs 'done', whereas Superior is all about granular control of EVERYTHING and sounds far more raw until you process it.

Both sound great, but Superior is much more of a time investment to sound good. Devin Townsend used EZ Drummer for the Ziltoid album (and has also done a kit for one of the Metal packs for Superior, which as you can guess is compressed to hell). The inbuilt effects in SD are pretty decent, you have little control other than "amount" in EZ, though both do multi out.

Were I to plan on doing a gig with fake laptop drums I'd probably pick EZ as its a bit lighter on the CPU. And the packs are smaller. Metal Machine alone for SD is 30gig if that's a consideration.

To end this possibly useless ramble, both are good, depends how much control you want. I use SD.

Also, great to see you back Agreed, I never posted much when you were last around but your posts were always super informative when I was a lurker.