Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

TheGearPage and TalkBass are the two I frequent the most and have had great experiences trading and buying/selling on both.

I have both bought and sold on gearpage and its awesome. Be forewarned though that there are very few steals on GP. People know exactly what they have and what its worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

DiscoDickTease posted:

I'm really thinking about buying this: http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-Gibson-SG-Classic-with-P-90-pickups-W0QQAdIdZ476906905

The guy wants $600 CDN for it and I have always wanted an SG with P90's ala Townshend.

Should I do it?

He doesn't mention if you get the tailpiece thats missing from the pics or not. Thats some serious cosmetic wear if you have to go buy one on your own.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

I think the biggest issue with Gibson these days is the inconsistency. There are 335's and Les Pauls that play like $2000+ guitars, and there are some that play like something you wouldn't buy for $200. Around where I live we have 2-3 nice guitar shops but none of them carry Gibsons or Epiphones so the only place I get to try them out is at guitar center, where the guitars seem to come out of the box and go on the wall with no adjustments made.

For a Gibson or Epi style guitar, if you can't get it playable in 2-3 minutes of tinkering with it, there may be some serious problems, especially for something they are asking over 2k for.

For me that's what makes the Epi's so attractive. Its real tough to buy one sight unseen, but they're no less consistent on quality than Gibsons these days. I am in the market for a 339 and taking a chance on a $399 epiphone is a lot easier than on a $2500 gibson custom shop when the chances of either being 'a good one' is sadly equal.

To stay on topic, my somewhat new acquisition . . . my new-to-me 1992 Samick Factory Epiphone Sheraton. The most comfortable hollow body I have ever laid my hands on.

uncle spero fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 6, 2013

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Townsend also liked Mini Humbuckers, ala the Baba O'Reily Les Pauls with the numbers on them from in the Kids Are Allright.

You can get one of those now and new from Wildwood for $25 more Canadian than he wants for his beat up used one. Wildwood has a really great reputation for the way they go over their guitars before they go out.

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/115621666.php?CategoryID=346&n=5

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Any pedal for $10 is worth it. A Japanese DS-1 is a great $10 spent. You need to see if Ratt still has an opening.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Revvik posted:

My new Mustang got here yesterday. It's already my favorite guitar. I love Mustangs for some reason. The bass is still in the mail - white with the blue racing stripe.

First thing, I dialed in as close a tone to Nevermind as I could get and cranked out Smells Like Teen Spirit.

I have the exact same guitar in the lake placid blue like yours. Mine is from the MIJ first run of them and it has to be the most comfortable guitar I have ever played. My selector switch was a little wonky though, but an easy replacement.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Revvik posted:

I would love to see mine side by side with a MIJ model. The switch is even in an odd spot, I've bumped it once or twice already playing sitting down. I think it's trying to tell me something.

What year did they switch over? Mine is from the 2012 run.

I think they only did the MIJ's for one year, 2011. I am sure they are still made form the same parts, just assembled in a different location. I think on a well made one there is no difference between the mij and mim, there are just people who think you have a better chance of getting a good one sight unseen if its mij.

If you bonded with yours that fast, its gotta be a good one. I like the sunburst finish only the mim's offer as well.

My switch issues were with poor connections. I went in to bend the connectors on it to fix that and decided to just put a whole new switch on. It's still really easy to bump where it is, but I have been able to keep that to a minimum through habit.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

I still love your LBP Mustang Special. Just grabbed mine to play a little after seeing your post.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

comes along bort posted:

Distortion pedals built to run at 18v+ are the bee's knees.

I am actually going to build up one of these next weekend. I'll probably just run it on two 9v's like the original.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/10/dod-555-performer-distortion.html

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Are there any good resources online that would teach me how to build my own pedals? I've wanted to do this myself, but thus far the most complex thing I've done is wire some pickups.

The basic soldering skills needed to wire a pickup is enough to build a pedal, you just have to get used to working within the smaller confines of a printed cricuit board or veroboard, which is what I use.

I just started with a kit because I wanted an out-of-production Marshall Bluesbreaker. Build you own clone kits are pricey, but they are the way to start. https://www.buildyourownclone.com. Start with an OD pedal as they have a nice low component count and the boards are less crowded. This was my first one: http://buildyourownclone.com/effects-pedals/overdrive/bbod.html

Their directions are illustrated and really easy to follow. That kit turned out great and is still on my pedalboard right now. It gets you hooked though. I think I only did 1 or 2 more kits and then just started buying components off ebay and from electronics sites and building them on veroboard which is like a printed circuit board but the rows are all conductive from hole to hole horizontally.

Once you're doing that, check that site I linked originally. He posts illustrated layouts of how to clone hundreds of pedals on vero board. They will all box up the same once you get used to wiring footswitches and grounding everything.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

juche mane posted:

Unf. What kind of WRHB is that? Better than the Fender 'reissues,' I'd imagine

How could anything be better than just a regular old humbucker disguised as a wide range with a WR cover . . .

Aaah Fender.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

So, I came across this guy who had bought a road worn strat just because he wanted a nitro finished body. He yanked everything off the body and replaced it with parts from an American standard and was selling the leftover road worn parts cheap.

I jumped in and grabbed a Mark Jenny body on the cheap on ebay (also finished in nitro but don't tell the guy I bought the parts from). MJT bodies are really nice, but he tends to relic them too hard for my taste. To the point where paint is completely sanded off in large parts. I was really excited to score this body which is much more tastefully relic'ed. I have always wanted a vintage white guitar where its starting to turn that cool banana yellow color they age to.

Built it up tonight:

Has a nice pin-up on the back. I like it better tucked away there than the guitars I have seen with a similar thing on the front. Its a nice touch of personality.

No rubbed-off paint on the relic job but its really nicely checked. It really matches the road work parts I bought for the project.

And a closeup on the pin-up, who is under the topcoat which is checking over her.

Didn't take long to build up at all, but as soon as I can get my hands on a block I am going to hardtail the bridge. The tex mex pickups sound great and the body is really resonant.

uncle spero fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 15, 2013

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

I use a cmatmods Deluxe Compressor. Can't say enough nice things about it.

http://www.cmatmods.com/deluxe-compressor.html

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Sockington posted:

Installed a GFS neck humbucker (Vintage Extra Hot - VEH), Neovin noiseless bridge pickup (Power Rock), new compensated saddles, new switchgear, push/pull pots, and required pickguard.

Spent 50% of the original price of the guitar on fixing it up to what I wanted to eventually use it for. :3:

Whoah that's nice I love the neck HB/Tele bridge sound when they're both on.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Made a nice grab off craigslist tonight. A sunburst Epiphone 339 Pro. I had wanted one of these for a while but found them to be wildly varying in build quality and all needing a setup well beyond my abilities when I tried them in a store. For $400 new with coil splitting I was always really tempted.

Found this one on CL with a matching hard case for half the price of new. The previous owner is a gigging musician and he had a nice setup done on it already. I am surprised how nice it is. The neck angle is reasonable so the bridge doesn't have to be all jacked up like some recent Epis and even Gibsons I have tried out lately.

A pic of it next to my Sammick-era Epiphone Sheraton, to show how small the body is compared to normal Gibson/Epi hollow bodies.

And a close shot of the body. I plan on leaving the pickguard on it.

uncle spero fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 27, 2013

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Hypnolobster posted:

I just picked up an old Peavey 215 bass cabinet loaded with guitar speakers (big bens).

It sounds completely massive, and I have absolutely no use for it.

Surf green strat, 70's headstock, hot rails (I think) in the bridge.

very very very nice. I bet it lights up that massive cabinet.

Also noticed your THR 10. I love mine.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

So, my latest cheap but cheerful project is almost wrapped up. I really don't care for heavily reliced bodies, but I have a problem passing up a great deal.

I decided to do a tele project. The original plan revolved around a SD 59 neck pickup I had without a guitar to put it in, so I decided to do a Keith Richards-ish Mikawber style tele. When I did my strat project a couple of months ago, I went after an MJT body. They're made in the USA and he auctions finished bodies off starting at 99 cents with no reserve. A lot of them go for north of $300 but if you get on one thats ending at an off time and not many people try for it, you can score them cheap. You just have to keep at it.

So, I got the tele body for this project for well under $200. I was sort of bummed at first because I had drunk ebayed it and the finish was too beat up for my liking. I am fine if it looks old, but if any paint is worn off, I want to be the one who did the wearing by actually playing it. Yet when this body arrived I was pretty psyched. Really substantial piece of wood and it was nice to be able to just lay it down on a bare workbench without caring about padding underneath.

So, I grabbed a used Duncan broadcaster pickup for the bridge position and some nice pots. I also treated myself to a switchcraft jack that I'll never have to screw-tight again. I splurged on a new warmoth vintage modern neck finished in nitro, but it was one of their pre-made necks so it wasn't a horrible deal. Graphite nut too.

After I had it all built up and was about to wire it, I started watching esquire vids on youtube. The body has a very beat up working-class look to it and I sort of liked the straightforward idea of one pickup. There is also something called an eldred mod where you have a third position on the switch where the tone circuit is out and just one .0033 cap is in play. It sounds like you have a wah on but cocked in one position. I loved how it sounded on videos.

So, esquire it is. Out came the humbucker that was my whole excuse for the build, and I grabbed a 5 screw no-pickup pickguard from warmoth. Wired it up eldred style and I am officially in love. I decided to embrace the relicing that was done to the body and got a new 6 barrel saddle bridge, and immediately let it sit in vinegar fumes for a couple hours. It got a nice bit of green on it.

It has so much bite. It took some dialing in on my od pedals but every position is usable. At times it really sounds like a p-90 pickup. I can't say enough good thinks about that duncan broadcaster pickup. The sustain is really incredible and the noise if low, all things considered. It sounds insane going into a fuzz.

3 way switch is reg tele bridge in the far back pos, bypassed wide open tone in the middle and Eldred mod sound in the neck pos.

So all in all, out the door for less than $600. The only thing left is to design a custom waterslide decal for the headstock.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Warcabbit posted:

You, uh, got one too many strings there.
(not being especially serious)

Sounds like a killer guitar. Did you already sell it? There were some wiring options Premier Guitar did recently about broadcasters you might like.

In the original plan I was actually going to remove an entire saddle to force myself to learn the Keef open tunings. Not how it wound up in the end though.

This one is definitely not getting sold. I didn't touch anything else all weekend. When I say less than $600 out the door I was just referring to what it cost me. I have been doing project guitars lately with the intent on keeping them, much to my wife's chagrin. I have agreed to at least sell an existing guitar for each one I build up.

I saw the premiere guitar wiring articles and I believe I grabbed the Eldred schematic I used from them. They have this 9 sounds esquire with a 3 way toggle that is really interesting.

At one point I went real basic and just wired the pickup straight to the output jack. I kept it like that for a couple days until I talked myself out of it, but I essentially have that sound in my middle position, just with a volume pot.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

no dad im not gay! posted:

Absolutely. For a long time I was adverse to having an "on all the time" pedal because I spent so long trying to get an AC30 and found one that was not only ideal (AC30TB model), but also had the right speakers (Celstion Alnico Blues) and NOS tubes (Yugoslavian Ei power and preamp tubes throughout) in it already. Why should I need to use an effect to affect such a perfect clean tone? But no, the EP booster just pushes even more of a low-mid grunt to compliment the midrange jangle. It makes it sound bigger and more complex, as you said.

I always thought of a good booster like cornstarch. You add it to a thin soup and suddenly, you're eating stew.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

DiscoDickTease posted:

I have bought a lot of gear in the past two months that I haven't mentioned here, but this is my latest. I fell in love with the look of a Bigsby on a semi hollow from Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes so I thought I would slap one on mine. I installed it myself with zero issues whatsoever which made me a happy man.

I am still waiting on the "CUSTOM MADE" plaque to come from California which should show up later next week.

Woo!

I'll fiddle with electronics, but I sure don't have the stones to attempt a bigsby install on a 335. Well done.

I like Robinson's playing and his sound a lot. His brother's sideband is pretty decent as well.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

fenix down posted:

No reverb, which is alright because I think you can get a pedal for that? (I know nothing about pedals)

A reverb pedal you'll never outgrow. Usually easy to score used for under $100.

http://digitech.com/en-US/products/rv-7

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

If it does end up being the switch, I buy a lot of my parts from http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/ and have always been happy with them.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Wow, I have no idea what to make of that SG. Its ridiculous in the best way possible. Nice score.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

Its TS9 into another TS9, his set up has not really changed in years.

He also runs his compressor after his overdrives. To be fair, he doesn't actually have both tubescreamers on the majority of the time, just when he really wants a lot of drive on songs like Axilla or their Highway to Hell cover. Usually its the cleaner or dirtier TS alone.

Here is good rig rundown. He talks about the two tubescreamers at like the 3 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG-jXPQe1ak

He has such a great sound. A lot of it comes from using a full hollow body with no center block.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Alleric posted:

Oh I've been dancing all over this thing for weeks now, planning my build for next Summer. Single-piece lack Korina Strat in tobacco burst? Yes, please.

Or a dual bucker Tele.

I can't decide.

Split the difference and do a tele 72 custom . . . In orange metallic flake.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

DrChu posted:

Probably the same person who thought the 250k pots in the 72 Deluxe Reissue was a good idea. I'm ordering a set of 500ks so it doesn't sound like I constantly have my tone set at 50%

Fender.

My pawn shop mustang special with the fake wide range humbuckers had the same issue as the 72 deluxe.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

What do you do with a four way switch on a Tele? There's only three combinations you can do with two pickups.

Use your imagination. My esquire has a 3 pos switch and one pickup. 1 pos for normal with tone pot, I bypassed tone pot and one for a completely different tone cap with no tone pot.

I could happily use 5 positions on a tele thinline.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

The Gasmask posted:

I think it's super useful to have a guitar with at least 5 pickup settings, even if it's not your main axe. It rocks being able to switch from a fendery tone to a thick HB sound.

I don't know if they still do it but my 90s glam metal ibanez HSH gave you middle single and either bridge or neck split for the strat 2 and 4 sounds. I always thought that made for a really versatile guitar.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Daaamn what is that?

Ibanez artist, right?

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

HollisBrown posted:

I don't quite understand he necessity of the neck jig. I've leveled the frets on tons of guitars without one. Don't get wrong, it could be amazing but it's an expensive piece.

And yeah the tools are expensive. I wouldn't own them for only working on my own stuff. I own a shop and do 3 or 4 guitars a week. I paid off my tools in literally a week though.

I tried out my new beam today on my own guitar (as I always do with new tools), with no neck jig and it is a monster player now.

Off topic but is that a Blue Agave strat? I still kick myself for selling mine. Its such a great color. I wish they still made it.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Body for my next project has just arrived. An MJT Strat in nitro tobacco sunburst.

Got a pretty good deal on it as its not very conventional. I have wanted a hardtail strat for a while. I plan on building it up all 70's style with a big headstock and black pickups and pickguard, but I won't have to deal with a 3 bolt neck. This one has a 4 bolt neck pocket with a contour like the deluxe strats used to (and maybe still do) have. Also has a humbucker route in the bridge but I think I am going to do a set of Duncan everything axe pickups with push/pull pots.

Relicing is slightly more tasteful than what MJT usually do, with just a lot of bangs on the edges. Looking forward to finding the rest of the parts for this one.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

In my case its just a matter of not minding relicing. I try an do my projects on a budget and find things that are interesting. The guy who does these bodies does a dozen or so a week and puts them all up on ebay at 99 cents. Polyurethane finishes feel really sticky on my palm. Its not something that bothers most people, but I guess its just a quirk I have. I don't have that issue with guitars finished in lacquer.

So, when it comes to picking up a lacquer body at MIM prices, I find this MJT guy to be a solid way to go. I fall sucker to the lure of something you can potentially get a steal on since his auctions start low with no reserve. In a perfect world, I'd get the body without any relicing, but I don't care about that enough to wait around for a different auction with this uncommon bridge rout or jump into the 400 dollar range for one of his made-to-orders or a body off a AVRI or Highway 1 Fender. He does some really heavy one color over another Rory Gallagher type relics that I can't imagine ever grabbing for a project no matter how low the bidding ends at, but its usually the opposite in that people want the heavy relic jobs and bid those up.

By the time this guitar is done it won't even likely look like a relic, because I am sure the neck I find for it will be newish looking anyway. I'm more interested in doing the internals than anything else. Don't worry, I won't be taking any of your cred. I just like a good build project. I don't even play out.

Edit: I think the used MIM bodies in the price range of this one are finished in Polyester, not Polyurethane. Either way, I like the way lacquer feels on my skin better.

uncle spero fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 9, 2015

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

You don't have to justify yourself, man. It's your guitar. It's your money. Do whatever the gently caress you want. Don't listen to whiny old farts who have too much time on their hands.

Naturally, but I also get where Faustus is coming from. People pay a lot of money for things that may be of dubious sonic value or all about looks. I try and do things on the cheap, and wanted to clear my name that I wasn't going out and commissioning some guy to painstakingly recreate history. For reference, the body was 200 bucks. Budget for the whole guitar is around 600.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Jesus Christ I bet this will be even better when I post some finished pics of the strat in a couple months.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Hollis Brownsound posted:

I wouldn't say that the autoharp "brings this together" but isn't an unwelcome addition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2SIbH1ycXw

Not really fair when its Garcia/Grisman. You'd need to put the autoharp in drop D to ruin that.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Any word on what your friend is having done for the guts of that guitar Faustus? Anything crazy or normal strat hss?

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

So I left with a receipt and a promise that there's a new one in Kansas City, MO that will ship to my apartment ASAP (ECONOMY_GROUND) but I've committed. Now I want to put together a pedalboard for it. An OCD/clone, a tc electronics delay, a chorus, a Phase 90, a Flanger. I'm crazy (it's cool, I can use all that with my Peavey combos, too). And I still want a Talman.

For what its worth, mine takes pedals really well.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Warcabbit posted:

THR10 update: Well, my 'sweet southern rock' LP-alike got _devoured_ by the noise gate, so I dug my Vox SSC-33 out.
http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/vox-ssc-33/13247

Works pretty nicely with it.

I was just playing my SSC-55 through my THR-10 yesterday. The amp really likes those vox pickups.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Warcabbit posted:

Hey. Have I got a present for you.
http://www.planetz.com/guitar/VOX%20HARNESS.zip
The wiring harness for our guitars. Guy specifically put it there for later use.

And yes, that means I could probably upgrade mine to a 55. Probably will one day.

Whoah, thats very cool. Thanks for posting that. It is amazing how poorly these guitars went over. I know Vox planned on selling the 55 for $1000 street. I got mine essentially new for $300. I mean its way too heavy and the weight balance is off, even on the singlecut, but I love the scale length/neck shape and the sounds I can get out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Treated myself now that Madbean redid their Mangler fuzz so that it has a voltage inverter on the board. Soon, we'll have a germanium fuzz face that we can run on our one spot with everything else.