Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

RillAkBea posted:

Awwwww yiss. Screw the bluesdads, it doesn't get much better than this.

Awwwww you just dissapointed the bluedad.

Though seriously, I'm not a fan of any non-Pelham Blue Les Pauls, but that said it looks pretty cool in that picture. :banjo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

iostream.h posted:

Purple Paul Squad incoming.

You guys better be playing doom/sludge on those things or you're just wasting those sleazy looking things. :colbert:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
New AC4C1 day!

Sorry for the crappy quality/huge size, I'm at work right now and posting this on my phone so I might do better pics later.

So I tried it out at a store a few months ago when money was a little tighter and I loved it as soon as I made it growl. It was the perfect dirty tone for me and I've kinda-not-really regretted the fact that I didn't walk out with it. Well yesterday I saw it in stock on their website and bought it on my way to work. So now I'm just sitting around, counting the hours until I can get home and make it roar...

... and taking horribad pictures of it so that I can brag.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Just something that popped into my head seeing your new Dyna Comp.

How many people here use a Compressor? Which one? and where do you use it?

I use a BYOC 2-knob compressor and I either use it first in my chain for rhythm, or near the end in my chain before reverb and delay to get a bit of a vintage studio production feel.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
As the owner of that fruity little half-stack you got there, I can say congrats on your fun little noisemaker. Plus it really matches paint job of the guitar you've got there.

Also, mind taking a picture of the headstock there so we can tell what kind of Les Paul it is?

Also a pro-tip on the Micro Terror, if you're thinking of getting an overdrive or distortion for more gain, go for either a treble booster or a clean boost. None of the dirt pedals I have work even half as well as the treble booster I have running into that thing, and I have heard from other people that other clean boosts work pretty drat good with it. So in short, try an MXR Micro Amp or an Electro Harmonix LPB-1 before anything else if you want it to get real dirty.

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 14, 2013

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Schlieren posted:

I won the Secret Santa lottery :smugdog:

No idea what I'm going to do with this thing but that send loop it has is definitely going to meet up with my envelope filter and my analog delay and my recording equipment :)

Dude, protip, put a chorus or vibrato in the loop, place a delay after the superego, and then use it on the auto mode; Instapad.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
On the topic of strap-talk, I just got this:

A Jodi Head strap, mine's similar to the one in the pic but the ends on mine are brown instead of orange.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Sup Sheraton II buddy! :hfive:

I also have the natural finished model, though I personally think it looks nicer with the tortguard (which I find weird since I usually don't care for tort).

That said, I'm thinking of dropping some humbucker sized P90's in mine. I first got it to be my first real good humbucker guitar, and I even went as far as putting some Gibson Classic 57's in there. But so far I plug it in, and I always want some more bite and brightness. I just replaced the strings on my cheapo Epiphone LP Jr which I dropped a GFS Mean 90 into, and I find that it's closer to the sound I'm looking for than my Sheraton.

Anybody have any thoughts on why I shouldn't do such sacrilege to a beautiful guitar?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Yes.

And Schlieren, I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you. :black101:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Ya might wanna [timg] that.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
All good now, and it looks pretty nice, I'm not really a fan of Purple guitars; though I will say that I am a bigger fan of non-bound Les Pauls.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Dude, there's a reason "Needs more tort" is the most repeated phrase on the OSG forums.

That said, sonic blue looks cooler with a goldguard than tort

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Just some inspiration:

Just a word of caution, the Squier J Mascis goldguard is a vibrant looking goldguard it looks kinda like the one in the first picture so just letting you know. That said, most other ones should look more like the second or last picture, so if you like a certain colour better than the other just be careful.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Colonial Air Force posted:

I like both the pickguard and pokerchip on my LP and gently caress you!

Admittedly, it's a black custom with the cream-colored inlays, so the black pickguard and chip work nicely.

Pics or we'll laugh at you for having bad opinions. Okay, not really, but I'm interested in seeing how it looks.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
As a person whose two main guitars are a Squier Jazzmaster and an Epiphone Sheraton; I despise everything you and that guitar stands for. :colbert:

Though seriously, have fun. I probably wouldn't but that's just me.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

massive spider posted:

My second to last gear purchase was an MXR dyna comp which sounds great but adds horrible noise (to the point I think it might be broken) my last purchase was an EHX soul preacher which adds very little noise but sounds clicky compared to the dyna comps satisfying chunkiness.

Now I'm just thinking gently caress compressors.

Go for a BYOC Classic Compressor, it isn't too noisy, and isn't even click-y at all. Plus if you go for the bonus upgrade pack, it's even more of a "can't tell when it's on, but noticeable when it's off" effect. It's not too hard to do, as it was the first effect I made from them (aside from the confidence booster) and the only problem I had was a cold solder joint and a mistake in wiring due to misreading instructions.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Kilometers Davis posted:

I like to think I prefer pickguardless LPs but nope they always look like they're missing something without one. It's a nice little accent.

Come to think of it most guitars that have a pickguard stock look better as is to me.

Counterpoint, Sonic Blue Charvel San Dimas.

If I could get that or something similar with a hardtail bridge then I'd have a new favorite guitar.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Whelp, I'm never going to buy Ernie Ball's again.

I just bought a set of .08's Cobalts; and after I got all of the strings on and was tuning up to pitch a string broke.

An E string broke.

A loving low E string broke.

Not even at the ball-end, it was at the goddamn tuner, well before proper pitch. The cherry on top is that the only shop in town that sells .08's is on the other side of town.

gently caress.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

muike posted:

That sounds a lot more like a burr on your tuner than a flaw in the string, to be honest.

Nah, the windings of the string were still strong and it broke at a part that was wrapped around the peg and not the 'peg-hole'.

I'm just going to sick with D'addarios and Rotosounds from now on anyways.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Well I got me self a new fancy thing.

A Simon and Patrick Songsmith Folk, at $320 CAD it's a steal for how good it sounds. Plus the way it's voiced makes it perfect for singing on top of, and it looks so drat beautiful with that perfect sunburst and satin finish*.

Only problem with it is that it doesn't fit dreadnought cases so I need to wait until my local shop gets classical cases back in stock.

*Cue Sax.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey look!

It's a Soul Food!

I bought it on saturday, but I only got time to actually play it on my rig today so I'll probably be back later to give some actual words regarding it.

Edit: Here's what I wrote about it on OSG:

quote:

In any case, I spent a good deal of time with it today and I must say I really enjoy the Soul Food.

To disclaim for clarity, the overdrive and overdrive-esque effects that I have spent the most time with are the Boss SD-1, EHX Hot Tubes Nano, Catalinbread Naga Viper, Zvex Box of Rock, and a ProCo Rat 2. Out of all of these stompboxes the one I found the most usable was the SD-1, the biggest reason why is that it worked with pretty much everything I had and it did everything I needed it to do gain-wise; but I never really gelled with how extreme the mid-hump was, some days I loved how boxey it sounded and others I needed more treble and bass. Meanwhile, the one I liked the second best was the Hot Tubes, I liked how it sounded different from almost anything else, and it still sounded good when the gain was cranked; but I didn't use it too often because it tended to be muddy depending which amp or guitar was into it.

The reason why I bring up the SD-1 and the Hot Tubes is because it highlights the two kinds of overdrives you can find; one's meant to push an preamp, and one's meant to provide a dirty sound. If you've been reading about the Soul Food or the Klon then you know that the number one claim is that it excels at the former. I can say personally that it is a great clean boost; on the other hand you can get a much cheaper clean boost with EHX's LPB-1, so why the Soul Food?

It's all in the 'Tone'.

I don't mean that in the 'warmth, tube-like, and harmonics' buzzword sense, I mean in the literal 'way it is voiced' sense. If you have one of these and a looper, do an experiment; kick in a muff or other dirt pedal, loop a simple chord progression with it, and then solo over it playing with the Soul Food. You'll find that it's easy to stand out in the mix with the pedal on, that's why a Soul Food is valuable. You can accomplish similar things with a Tubescreamer or other clones, that's part of why I liked the SD-1, but that leads into the second reason to like the Soul Food.

That reason is 'Transparent Overdrive'

With a Tubescreamer, there are two things that help it stand out in a mix; there is the whole extreme mid-hump aspect that everybody and their antediluvian piano teacher is familiar with, the second is the compression which helps keep that guitarist in a particular spot in the mix. This is why it became popular in the first place, and it's also why there are a lot of people looking for alternatives in this day-and-age where people play on things other than Blackface or Silverface Fenders. With the Soul Food, you don't get the boxey sound when playing with a Tubescreamer through a Vox; and you get the dynamics of playing with a naturally overdriven amp again while keeping the volume down (somewhat ;) ).

The most impressive aspect of the transparent overdrive is apparent when you do something dumb and play it through a modelling amp; the Soul Food literally works with every single piece of equipment!

I mean literally, I played it with all of my guitars into all of my amps, and every single one worked; from my Squier JMJM with antiquities to my Fender Pawn Shop '51. And as much as I hate to use this cliche, but it literally did make my normal 'clean' sound just louder and dirtier. Which made me realize something; why do we all clamour for tube amps for that 'beautiful tube overdrive' and then grind them with dirt pedals that change that sound entirely? I mean I understand why we don't crank Plexi's and Twins whenever we want, but it feels a bit silly to use Muffs, Tubescreamers, or Rat's and more-or-less ignore amp overdrive.

But I digress hypocritically, because I have also been experimenting with other dirt pedals with this thing and have found a few interesting things. With a Muff down chain, you can get a bit of the TS+Muff sound if you crank the gain to the point where the mids are pronounced. The Soul Food also works good after the Muff if you crank the gain to about 9 o'clock, it compresses the sound to where it's smooth but not muddy. My favorite use of the Soul Food (somewhat hypocritically) is as a boost into my Hot Tubes, I run my Soul Food as a dirty boost with the tone knob a bit past noon and then the Hot Tubes as a hot overdrive with volume at unity and the tone also a bit past noon. If I kick on the Soul Food on with the Hot Tubes I get an actually great 'not quite distortion, not quite fuzz' sound that still works well with whichever guitar or amp I kick in.

The only thing I didn't quite love with this pedal is that the pedals onboard dirt sounds are no great shakes, it's hard clipping for better-or-worse. It doesn't work well at all with a traditional solid-state amp because of this, a tube or good modelling amp will cover this up with their own clipping but don't expect it to be your only source of distortion.

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 11, 2014

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Declan MacManus posted:

I traded a bunch of setups and some basic rewiring stuff for this

Sir I must say this with the utmost admiration,

:vince:

Fake Edit: But seriously, if that had a slightly wonkier pickguard it'd pretty much be the greatest guitar I've ever seen.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Man those are some rediculously great looking pedals. I just wish that I could put any effort and talent into my DIY effects.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
My first pedal. :allears:

I switched to a Ram's Head variant clone, and now a double Muff. But maybe I should pull my tone/wicker out and try it again...

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

havelock posted:

What is the distinction between all their model lines? I've played a seagull and didn't like the thick neck, but I have a merlin that's a ton of fun. I hear nothing but good things about Godin in general, but all their sub brands get confusing.

As far as I can tell for their steel-string brands, Seagull is their "modern" brand with a thicker neck and look; Simon and Patrick are their "classic" brand with a thinner and wider neck and retro looks; Art and Lutherie is their "folk" brand in that it has a folk look, a wider variety of colours, and a single price-bracket for all of their models. There is also Norman, but I haven't seen them in the wild so I can't really say what they're about.

There's also Lapatrie, which does the nylon-string guitars. Godin the name is reserved for the headstocks of ugly electric guitars, which as far as I can tell appeal mostly to session musicians and jazz fusion guys. On top of that, there is also 5th Avenue, which is under the Godin name as a sub-brand, which produces quality and cool-looking Arch Tops for jazz guys. And then finally the weird multiac electric acoustics with the eq sliders on the front, which I never have picked up because they don't look cool or affordable.

In short;
- Seagull: Modern Acoustics
- Simon and Patrick: Retro Acoustics
- Art and Lutherie: Colourful Cheap Acoustics
- Norman: ???
- Lapatrie: Classical Guitars
- Godin: Ugly Jazz Fusion Electrics
- Godin 5th Avenue: Arch Tops

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Also I got 8 of merlins as part of my Partner buy-in. And they are tons of fun. Stupid fun. I'll do goon sales for $100 shipped. They have a MAP of $130

drat, if the conversion of Canadian to US Dollars wasn't exactly what I'd pay retail I would jump right on this.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Plus I hear they get grants from the Quebec government for producing their stuff there.

That probably has a lot to do with accepting lower profit margins.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Personally I like the Boss SD-1 for my tubescreamer-esque OD. It's brighter than an 808 and has a character that's more "punk" than "blues". I tried a Soul Food, and an East River Drive, and I didn't like the on-board drive sounds as much. That said I do use the SD-1 near the end of my chain, so that it will compress and smooth out my Fuzz, Delay, and Reverb.

The only other dirt pedal that I consistently use is my Double Muff. It's got a few things that it does uniquely that I appreciate. Now I've always liked the Big Muff a lot more than other Fuzzes, it's aggressive and smooth; but sometimes I got tired of the over-the-top distortion and how it didn't do low or even medium gain. I tried Fuzz Faces as a lower-gain alternative, but the Silicon version wasn't nearly smooth enough for my taste; and the germanium was also too dark. The Double Muff kinda sits in the middle of these three guys. It's got the smooth fuzz of the Big Muff and Germanium FF, it cleans up with the guitar's volume knob like the Germanium FF, it's bright like the Silicon FF. But finally it also has that aggressive sound that's almost like a distortion; but run it into a OD and it's as smooth as a violin, like the Big Muff. It's a perfect fuzz for me.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

DeathSandwich posted:

My local mom and pop store has gotten a used late 90s era Ibanez artcore full hollow-body electric guitar in a chocolate finish that I'm itching on. It's got the same style pearl block inlays that my ibanez semi hollow has. Ibanez model names being what they are I forgot the specific model number, but when me and the shop guy looked online we figure that it would of been about $650 US new. It's got a handful of nicks and scuffs as general wear and tear, and the clerk is thinking about selling it for $300.

I'm so conflicted about it. In one hand, that seems like a pretty good deal for the quality it's in. On the other hand my girlfriend would probably murder me in my sleep.

Sell some poo poo if your girlfriend gets mad. Buy that guitar yesterday.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Define "steal".

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Faustus, I'm just popping in to say that natural finish Ibanez is still :krad:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
A) Normally something akin to that I would post in the "Stupid Music Stuff" thread; but you've made it something I actually salivate over. Congrats!

B) How do they sound, I've always been curious since I've first learned about them.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Some recommended reading; click on Faustus' post history in the thread, you'll see him defending his dick hole guitars like a fedoralord.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Allen Wren posted:

Just started looking at amps because of that post, and I'm wondering, what's the functional difference between a closed-back and an open-back cabinet? Like, obviously, yes, the sound gets out or the air gets in or something, there's a big goddamn hole back there. But what does it actually do to the sound? Anything? Like, with Oranges, there's like a $200 difference between the two cabinets, unless my eyes deceive me this late at night, I can't imagine there being $200 worth of difference in an A/B comparison.

e: $150 difference.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Orange-Amplifiers/PPC-Series-PPC212-C-120W-2x12-Closed-Back-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Orange-Amplifiers/PPC-Series-PPC212OB-120W-2x12-Open-Back-Guitar-Speaker-Cab.gc

The biggest difference between the two is that the high end gets focused with a closed back. And I don't mean in terms of frequency, I mean it is most prominent only within a certain angle in front of the speaker. This may be a good thing if you don't like high end, or if you're primarily using it mic'd. The big advantage is that the low end is better and tighter on a closed back; which is why you'll see closed back amps in a good number of metal bands.

Personally I like open back because I prefer the sound to fill the room; which is possible because all the air isn't being pushed out the front of the cab.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I hope you play some sweet muzak on your A E S T H E T I C ギター

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Go for the RAT, I got one when I wasn't really feeling my Muff. It really does the trick in getting you a tight fun distortion tone. Plus they're a dime a dozen so it's not overly difficult to find a used one.

But if you still want a fuzzy sound, I really love the Double Muff. It is more controlled, brighter (but it isn't very bottom heavy either), and less smooth fuzz. But it's also my favorite fuzz. If I had to give it a character (as hard as it's to describe for a fuzz), it's kinda like a less buzzy, smoother, and higher gain silicon fuzz face. Best part is that it's cheap so you can get it for less than $50 and flip it for just as much if you don't like it.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Literally the only issue that could theoretically happen is that you add enough paint/finish to the neck pocket that it couldn't fit right back in.

But that takes a lot of paint and/or finish to make it something to worry about.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
No it's the prettiest bass you have.

Edit: I'm mostly joking, personally I've never liked "modern" looking basses but to each their own. I hope you make pretty music out of all of them.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Um... It looks a little funny? The money would be better put into a retirement fund? I hear cocane is pretty fun to try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Ah so shoegaze then.