Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
I just recently got some new goodies that I thought I might share in here. I've just recently started learning to play guitar and honestly I still suck at it, but have a blast doing it, which is all that matters to me. I started with a $90 dollar Ibanez steel string acoustic that I got at a pawn shop (apparently it was a great deal, my guitar teacher tells me it's worth between 200-300 bucks. Is he right, who knows? I don't plan on selling it regardless). After that I got my Dad's old electric guitar, which is a Les Paul copy made by a company called Magnum. Truth be told, while it is in great shape, it's still basically a crap guitar and according to my Dad was considered as much even when bought it back in the 70's. Whatever, it worked and I had his equally ancient and crappy amp to plug it into.

As time went by, I got really bummed playing the electric, crappy instruments and gear make it a lot harder to have fun, at least for me. I decided to get a better guitar and amp, but due to a combo of being a total beginner and having a budget, I was trying to do it on the cheap. I decided to start with an amp, and went to Guitar Center, mainly on a whim. I was basically winging it, not really knowing for sure what I wanted, and going off only the vaguest notions, when I came across this used for $45 dollars. It is an Orange Crush PiX CR12L. The amp looked to be in great shape, no physical damage at all, and when I plugged it in right next to a brand new one, you couldn't tell them apart. So I picked it up and brought it home. I think for a beginner like myself it is perfect. Sure, I could probably do better, but it sounds great, doesn't have a bunch of stuff to confuse or distract me, and is actually pretty drat loud for its size.

http://www.orangeamps.com/crush-pix-cr12l/

The last pic there gives it some scale sitting on my couch.

Phase 1 complete, I started thinking about an electric guitar. Thinking about because I didn't have the spare cash to just go buy one right away, which leads into how I am incredibly lucky. One of my best friends knows I want a new guitar and also knows that I am "the computer guy". He calls me early on a Saturday and asks if I can come out right now ASAP to fix the computer of one of the bosses from his work. I says sure and head on over. Well, turns out the guy is some kind of big shot upper management type, and he also plays and collects guitars, like has probably 20+ guitars in his huge rear end house. Turns out, he has some sort of contract/blueprint type paperwork that has to be handed in the next day, and his kids have loaded the computer with spyware and poo poo, making the documents not accessible. I do the standard clean up job that I am sure many of you are familiar with, and long story short it wasn't really that bad and all the data was saved, hooray. Boss guy, who was sweating bullets because I told him there was a chance everything was gone forever, tells me he has to pay me for saving his rear end last minute, and believe it or not, says he has heard (from my friend) that I am beginning to learn guitar. He insists on taking me to Guitar Center (again) and buying me a new guitar. Long story short, we go and spend about 2 hours playing around, and I settle on an Epiphone Worn SG G-400 which ended up being $350 for the guitar itself. To top it off, he also buys me an SKB custom molded hardshell case and the sales clerk guy threw in a stand for it too. Needless to say, I was pretty stunned at all this, but here I am typing this up for you guys with the guitar sitting 5 feet away from me. I know it is a crazy story, and sounds like it may very well be total BS, but hey, I now have a sweet guitar I didn't have before.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Epiphone/Worn-G-400.aspx

The guitar feels great in my hands and I truly enjoy playing it. I'd love to hear anything you guys may have to say about it, I don't really know a whole lot about SG's. I really liked the aged look, and how smooth the finished is, especially on the neck, it makes it easier for me to slide my hand up and down.

EDIT: Sorry for the huge post, I got a little carried away.

themachine fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU