Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
It's kind of a long story, but this upright electric bass ended up without a home, and now it is on it's way to me. I've never played one before, so I'm going to look into taking lessons. Anyone know any good resources online for learning to play this thing? It's too pretty not to play.

It's a Palatino VE-500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
What purpose does the opening lid serve? Are there speakers inside?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Scarf posted:

Aww man, ok forget my need for a FireBox... I want this instead. Let me know how it works for you.

I just tried using my H4N as an interface to record vocals last night and it was nauseatingly bad latency-wise. Like half a second or more. It's definitely very useful for anything that doesn't require immediate monitoring, but as far as recording-music-and-hearing-it-too goes, I can't recommend that function. It's definitely not designed to be used that way, which is a shame because it's so goddamn handy otherwise. It's still a fantastic tool for field recording/live recording/almost everything else.

Here's my most recent gear purchase. "Recent" being a few months ago. I still have no amp, which kinda sucks, but at the same time, it's way easier just to plug it into my computer and use Logic to simulate an amp. Good thing I'm not in a band!

It's a Korean PRS SE Custom. It was basically the nicest guitar I could afford at the time. It's got some issues, but I love it.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 21, 2011

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

mr_package posted:

Just bought MF's stupid deal of the day: M-Audio CX8 monitors for $149 each, which I also stacked with the Rocktober 12% off coupon. $288 after tax to WA.
Oh drat, thanks for posting that. I've been in the market for my first pair of monitors, and this was too good to pass up. Those are going to beat the hell out of my lovely $30 Logitech speakers. :D

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 30, 2011

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Does Rocksmith have a mode for teaching/practicing scales?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
My dad sent me these pictures this morning of a guitar he saw at a pawn shop in Texas. I told him that if the thing isn't crazy expensive, he should buy and ship it to me and I'll reimburse him, because holy poo poo. Who wouldn't want a guitar with hippie cats on it?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

forever whatever posted:

Is that an LP junior? It can't be worth more the 100$. That paint job could trigger a seizure.
This is what I was thinking, based on the single humbucker. Not sure. I wish I could go inspect it in person.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Goddamn that 360 is seeeexy.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

BlueGrot posted:

Not a picture, but a clip. I just got a 33 breath controller. Running it through a Micro Modular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWA_PXHwiic

That's pretty kickass. Where did you get it?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

GreatGreen posted:

^^^ Just in case anybody is wondering, that video does show the differences in those pedals, but the guy making it has no idea how to use what he's got. The rate controls on both those pedals are turned up way too high. A vibe pedal is supposed to be relaxing and mellow. The change over time should be subtle and smooth. You shouldn't hear a constant NYAW-NYAW-NYAW-NYAW as you play.

A quick rate on the vibe like that seriously makes me feel nauseous. It's a very weird sound.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I've never had a proper amp, so I splurged on this bad boy. Vox AC30C2. So far I couldn't be happier. :D My neighbors are going to hate me.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That's good advice. I can probably make a horizontal bar to cover the back posts. The thing seemed like it could use a bit more stability anyway.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Your wife kicks rear end, and so does that guitar. Man oh man would I love a Taylor...

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I loving hate you.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Slow Graffiti posted:

Completely understandable. I hate myself sometimes too, but then I grab a guitar off the wall and all is well.

Do you have a favorite?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
My M-Audio Fast Track Pro crapped out on me over the weekend while I was in the middle of recording, so I decided it was time for a new interface. I went with the Apogee Duet 2, which is incredibly good.

Not my photo, but that's what it looks like.

Best interface I've owned by far. It sounds awesome, and kicks the poo poo out of the FTP in every way. I think eventually I'll spring for the breakout box, but for now the cable works perfectly.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Today at work I made a whammy bar, since for some reason, my guitar didn't come with one. Just have to adjust my bridge a bit now.

Now I'm realizing that it's way too long.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 28, 2012

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I can hire someone to stand in the next room over and whammy for me!

Next time I want to make an accessory, I'll bring my guitar to work with me for reference. ;)

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 28, 2012

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Sup AC30 buddy! :cool::hf::cool:

Mine has been making an occasional funky fuzzy noise when I play certain notes lately that can't be right. I'm not sure if I've blown a speaker (seems unlikely, since I think if I had it loud enough to do that, it would break my windows) or if my pickups/wiring are somehow screwed up. I will get to the bottom of this, damnit!

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 12, 2012

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
And even if they're not, double-walled corrugated cardboard has a really high crush weight. Like over 200 pounds I think. It's pretty strong, homie.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

slapsack posted:

Finally got my hands on one of these sucka's:

It's a Chapman Stick. Here's what it sounds like if anyone gives a rip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM-3phddDWw

Be nice, it's my first song :)

God, I absolutely love a Chapman Stick. Someday I will consider myself good enough at guitar and bass to abandon them both in favor of a Stick, which I will no doubt suck at. Sounds really great, you did a nice job with that, and a great choice of instrument. :)

I've been in the market for a 5-string bass for a little over a month now. Originally, I bought one from Rondo, which was really sexy, but the construction was shoddy, and made it nigh unplayable, so I returned it. This week, my mission finally came to a conclusion when I picked up one of these:

Schecter Stiletto Studio 5. Nicest bass I've ever played, and well worth spending a bit more than I originally intended to. Love this instrument. Haven't been able to take any decent photos of it yet, though, so there's a lame stock one for reference. I'm going to have to make some minor adjustments (volume pot is a little loose, so I need to tighten the nut on it, and do some bridge tweaks, and swap the strings,) but I am very happy with this purchase.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Frank Caskelot posted:

This arrived today. Too bad I've just come down with a cold and don't feel like taking the trip to our rehearsal space to properly try it out.

That's so metal.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Aren't those estimates for the starting bid? I mean, it's an auction, so things are going to go for way more than what it says in the catalog, most likely. I'm sure there will be plenty of private collectors and museums bidding on stuff, as well.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Agreed posted:

Here's what I know I have coming from Patrick Hufschmid at Hufschmid Guitars - check the range here, I've only gone for the thick ones because that's my thing but he makes some really unique stuff:

1. Attack Drop, a pick made with a much sharper bevel than the standard drop. Gray coloration. This one I ordered some time back, I'm expecting it soon - though with customs and all that poo poo the postal service just goes at the speed of "ehhh..." but he makes and ships 'em quick regardless. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one does, the shape looks like it ought to scream for alternate picking, but without sacrificing articulation since it looks like you can definitely get under the string however you want... Will post a trip report when I get it in, for sure. :rock:

This is awesome, and I have to know what it's like. I've been using Jazz IIIs, and wishing the tips would stay pointy, or be pointier, and I've heard good things about thicker picks, but had never seen one with such a sharp point. Ordered one. Hopefully the shipping time isn't too bad, because I'm moving in like a month.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Agreed posted:

The other ones have both been 8 days from placing order to on my doorstep, not bad for crossing the ocean and two sets of customs, I think.
That's good to know, and yeah that is wicked fast. I was doing some playing last night and already starting to think to myself, "okay, how is this going to feel with like 7 extra millimeters? :D

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Yeah, what do you mean maybe? It's essential.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
My Hufschmid pick arrived yesterday, but apparently my postal carrier is too lazy to knock/ring the doorbell, because this morning I got one of those "Sorry we missed you" slips in my mailbox. Seriously, I was home all day yesterday, and not a peep. What the hell USPS? Now I get to do my favorite thing in the world: stand in line at the post office.

Edit: Okay, got it. Holy gently caress. For one thing, I expected it to only be thicker, not much larger. Turns out this is a loving enormous pick, but I really love it so far. It sounds so good on the strings, and is so comfortable to play with. Surprised, but in a good way. Definitely glad I made this purchase. :)

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 30, 2012

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Me too, that is really cool. Never really seen something like that before.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I haven't looked at Huf's site in a while. He's got a lot of new stuff on there. Cool that you can get the Attack Drop in acrylic now, that poo poo's hot. I got the PHD Attack Drop, and then a couple weeks later, a Gigantic Drop, which I love to death. My favorite thing about those picks is that as they wear, they get faster and smoother on the strings, and have this nice new bevel. So glad I got turned on to those, because I don't think I'll ever look back. Playing with a Jazz III now is like, "Where'd my pick go?"

I also made a pick out of a quarter the other day at work. It's poo poo.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Didn't you have a Pico at one point as well? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. An Eigenharp is like my dream instrument currently, so I too would love to hear some first hand accounts about how it plays and what it's like. They're just so drat cool.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
One of my dad's old friends is having some money issues, so he was selling off a bunch of guitars. My dad, being the generous guy he is, bought all of them (five), and they showed up today. He had me go through them and see if there was anything I wanted. There were a couple of beat up basses, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard that is also pretty beat up, an Ovation iDea acoustic which I thought was really loving weird because it's made entirely of plastic and has a USB port... But there was also this sexy PRS SE Singlecut, which I called dibs on.

I have something of a PRS fetish, so this was a good get for me. It's in really good condition, except for a tiny crack in the lacquer on the back, and some dust. Aww yep.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Godin Radiator. Good looking guitar.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Latest additions to my family are Samplemodeling's Clarinets and an Akai EWI USB.

I'm in love with all of my Samplemodeling instruments, but I haven't been able to get the expression I want from them with my keyboard. This is surely going to take me a while to get used to, and learn the fingerings and such, but oh man, it's going to make those instruments sound so much better.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Startyde posted:

EWIs are great and I'd suggest sticking with it if you're looking for realism, but were I primarily a keys player I would've just got a breath controller. Yamaha BC plugged into one of their boards or a MIDI solutions box would get you the expression without having to learn fingerlings.

Probably true, but I primarily play guitar, and I'm really not that comfortable with a keyboard. I really only use mine for basic stuff. I was surprised last night at how easily I was able to pick up the EWI fingerings. Still have a long way to go with it, but I made good progress in only a few hours. Great piece of gear.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 2, 2012

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Haha wow, I didn't even notice the cat. The guitar is magnetic.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

candy for breakfast posted:

Phil Barone bari sax, custom order

*drops dead*

That is a thing of beauty. Now put up some audio samples. :allears:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

I spent so long ogling the goth one, I didn't even notice the cutesy dolphin tailpiece on the uke. :allears:

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 18, 2012

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That's loving hot.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Got a new acoustic guitar. Martin DX1AE. Sounds and feels amazing. I was a little skeptical of the HPL body, but it was in my budget, and goddamn this thing is such a huge improvement over my cheapie 15-year-old Sigma. Solid as a rock, and sounds awesome. The electronics are cleverly hidden, and it sounds decent DI, but I think a nice mix of acoustic and DI would sound fantastic. Loving it. Dig that neck, homie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Not so far, but I've only had it since yesterday. I'm going to put it through its paces, humidity-wise, when I go from Colorado to Ireland in a few weeks, and then back a few weeks later. Definitely going to research some options to save it from tying itself in a knot.

Edit: vvv Good to know, and I've actually started noticing some inconsistencies in the neck this morning. Gonna return it tomorrow. If it can't survive three days in a dry apartment, it's going to be hosed if I take it somewhere very humid and back.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 27, 2013