Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
bought recently:

Gibson Explorer

EMG 85+60 (not for the explorer)

Buying soon:
Korg MS-20 (maybe)

Audio Technica AT3035

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Everyone knows what they look like, but what the hell. Mesa Recto 4x12 Slant cab:

Also all this crap: Fulltone OCD, Planet Waves custom speaker cable, Yorkville patch cord, Matched Quad of JJ E34Ls and 5 ECC83S' tubes.

It's been a good week. :)

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Just ordered a Black Arts Toneworks LSTR fuzz

There's a 15% off sale there right now, and the international shipping was dirt cheap (7 bucks) so I pretty much had to.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

mr_package posted:

I love the LSTR sound clips, far more than the Pharaoh (which is more classic-fuzz-y whereas the LSTR is more stoner-metal-fuzz-y to my ears).

Yeah that's why I got it. I already have a fuzz factory so I don't really need another "just fuzz" fuzz.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
One day I will own an Electric amp. For now I am happy with my Rivera K100 though, especially since I retubed it with E34Ls.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Catastrophe posted:

Let me tell you something about Electric amps though. There's a lot of hype surrounding them and most people have no idea if any of it's true or if it's just opinion and hyperbole. Since they're not very common, it's not super easy to just go test one out yourself. So let me clear up a couple of points:

The bad:
-They're kinda heavy.
-"Electric" is kind of a silly brand name for a guitar amp.

The good:
-Everything else is absolutely perfect/amazing.

Best musical equipment purchase I've ever made. I have never once regretted spending that much on it. If it was between selling it for rent money or being homeless, well I guess I'd be laying in an alley that night spooning my Electric amp then because no way would I sell it. :colbert:

Heavy doesn't bother me, I lug around a 4x12 and a 2x12 everywhere. :colbert:

I recently made the decision to order a custom guitar (Monson Redemption, pics in this thread in about 4 months :munch: ) over an Electric but one day it will be mine.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Catastrophe posted:

The bit about them being heavy was a joke.. They're absolutely exquisite pieces of equipment. In all honesty, the only real negative to the MV series Electric heads is that they don't have a really good clean sound. They love tube saturation. I personally do not care about this.

That definitely wouldn't bother me either, the clean channel on my Rivera is great and I'd use both amps so yeah...

In other news, bought one of these bad boys today and I am smitten with it. Also considering doing what every youtube demo video guy is doing and getting a POG or HOG to make organ sounds with it!

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

I really shouldn't have, but I walked into a guitar store when I was out of town (Long and Mcquade) and there was a used Laney VH100R sitting there for a decent price. I never come across these amps and I just love them, so I bought it. Haggled them in to shipping it to the Long and Mcquade in my city for free, which is awesome because my jam space is 2 blocks from there. :dance:

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Underflow posted:

Prepare for lifelong ear damage :) Those things are l o u d.

I'm going to run it in stereo with my Rivera Knucklehead for twice the ear damaging fun! :)

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Loop Master 5 channel looper with master bypass. 100 bucks :cool:

Also on the list for the newest Black Arts Toneworks pedal, the Black Forest OD:

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

I'm not seriously hoping this pedal will be as awesome as everyone says it is, but it'll be fun to play with. There's some pretty good sounding youtube demos of it, so what the hell.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

the wizards beard posted:

If you like that sound then yeah, they are incredible.

I was sold after I heard this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxms_zOpLGY

I'm not too crazy about the basic chugga chugga death metal sound, but that one hit me in the good time spot.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I am interested to see how it will stack with my various other fuzz/dirt boxes and trying it with effects for shoegaze-y stuff.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

HMorg posted:

Post clips of this.

For sure dude! I've got a fuzz factory, a Black Arts LSTR, a RAT and an OCD to mess with!

Also whatever is on my line 6 M13...I'm going to be a busy dude when the HM-2 gets here.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Concatenation posted:

Since I'm unoriginal and have a poor memory, the guy who bought one of these a couple of pages back reminded me how much I love old school swedish death metal tone (especially Dismember's Like An Everflowing Stream and the demo from Cult of Endtime, which you should all check out if you don't read the NMD metal thread). Can't wait to crank this up at rehearsal tonight.

That was me, high five! :hfive:

I just snagged another sweet old Boss pedal

Clips of this one, the HM-2 and all my other OD's and fuzzes stacked together coming very soon (just moved into a new jam space, 24 hours loud as you want :D )

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

W424 posted:

The Fuzz II mode would be pretty awesome if it didn't scoop out all the mids, I wonder if it could be modded?

I'm hoping stacking it with a fairly middy sounding distortion or fuzz will fill the sound out a bit. I'm positive running it alongside my LSTR will yield some pretty sweet results.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

The Gasmask posted:

I was lucky enough to get a build spot for a Bernie Rico Jr. Hesperian 8-string which is almost complete. Normally I'd have to wait somewhere around 9-12 months for one since he's absolutely swamped with orders, but somebody was selling their spot from about a year ago so I was able to jump on and get a nearly complete guitar! The price is also amazing, I'm getting this for about 1/2 of what they normally go for.

It's got the following specs (e: just talked to Bernie and updated my poo poo - wooo!!):
code:
 8 String
 27.5" Scale
 25 Frets
 Locking Tuners
 Maple Neck
 Ebony Fretboard
 Mother-of-Pearl Offset Dots
 Straightened Headstock
 Mahogany Body Wings
 Deep Quilted Maple Top
 Bareknuckle Aftermath Pickups
 Two Mini-Switches for Coil Tap
 Hipshot Bridge
 Natural Oil Finish
Tuning is E - B - E - A - D - G - B - E using a custom set of strings for optimized tension (approx. 18lbs per string, .080-.009). Hopefully I won't have to modify that, I've spent way too much time on my other 8 finding the right gauge of strings.

This is my first completely hand-built custom guitar so I'm absolutely psyched. The specs are almost exactly what I would've picked myself, I lucked out there. Only difference would be a 30.2" scale instead of 27.5".
Bernie is one of the nicest guys I've ever dealt with, he called me almost immediately after I emailed him to confirm the build spot trade went through and we talked for about half an hour about the guitar, his shop, his famous clients, and what he does to get each guitar built. Since I only have those two pictures of the guitar he's going to take some "rockstar" shots with it so I can admire it some more :).

Between Bernie Rico Jr, Strictly 7, Oni, Mike Sherman, ViK, KxK, Siggery, RAN, Monson, Mayones, and Jaden Rose there's a huge market for well-made custom extended-range guitars at reasonable prices. I'm blown away that I actually have choices now, and many of them are sub-$2000. While customs aren't for everyone, it's absolutely worth getting if you need non-standard features on your guitar. There's no reason to compromise when you can get something like this.

I've also decided to get another custom, this time completely with specs of my choosing. Still deciding on the builder, I need someone who can do fanned frets well...

e: too many commas, what, is, my, problem? Also added info

Sup first custom buddy?

My Monson is ready, being shipped tomorrow. Probably won't have it for about 2 weeks. Can't wait!

Sapele body with a wenge top
25.5" scale
14-68 gauge strings tuned to AEAEAC
Bareknuckle Warpig pickups (5 way switch, 2 vol 2 tone)
Ebony fretboard with a custom inlay
Bolt-on Maple neck

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Well, I got the best birthday present ever. My Monson Redemption arrived!

Amazing. I got Bareknuckle Warpigs with a 5 way switch. Wired as such:

1- Bridge
2- Bridge single coil
3- Both humbuckers
4- Neck single coil
5- Neck

It sounds as good as it looks, I'll try to do up some clips soon. It's an amazing guitar for the style I play (Stoner doom), the pickups are so articulate and it was so well set up (gauge 12-68 strings, AEAEAC tuning) right out of the case. I would recommend a Monson to anybody looking for unconventional shapes and great quality for the same price you'd pay for a mid-high range guitar off the shelf.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Some Black Friday scores:

Selling my M13 and needed a reasonable delay that could cover the same ground, the looper is nice too.

The only other feature of the M13 I really used was the phase and uni-vibe patches, so I'm trying this one out.

Couple dirt boxes I got earlier this month:

Black Arts Toneworks Black Forest and Dr Scientist Elements, both are staying on my board. Love these two.

No more pedal buying for me for awhile. :staredog:

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Got a Sovtek Mig100 and a custom name plate for it. :)

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

fappenmeister posted:

That's great! Where did you get the plate from?

Sandy from Precision Designs in Indiana, she does great work!

http://www.precisiondesignin.com/

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Frank Caskelot posted:

I watched the video you posted and decided I need one as well. Placed the order mere moments ago and now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it would make it here in time for the beginning of our studio stint.

It's such a good pedal. I've got a Pharaoh incoming now as well, and thus will complete my unholy trinity of Black Arts fuzz.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I just ordered a couple. I'm interested to see how they hold up to my heavy handed picking style...I generally get about 20 minutes of use out of a 1.5-2mm Dunlop tortex/nylon pick (before the edges get all shredded) so hopefully these last.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

160 Watts of bad rear end. It's heavy as hell but I'm going to hack it into a head and put the Black Widows in my Mesa cab. It needs some TLC (retubing it will cost as much as I paid for it. 6x6L6GCs :black101:) but it will be worth it to explode faces.

ethan fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Krustic posted:

Does the phaser work on yours? If so how does it sound? The phaser on my old peavey wasn't working when I bought it. So just how loud is that thing?

Nah, the phaser is shot on mine too. The dude I got it from only put 4 6L6GB (lower wattage than GCs) tubes in it so it isn't at it's fullest, but at the moment it keeps up with my Laney VH100r pretty well (Laney on 5-6, Peavey at 7ish). I use the clean channels on both and pedals for dirt.

I can't wait to retube it.