Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
some banned jerk
Sep 30, 2004

antila posted:

I love it!
Normally, the bee-threads are always "oh god, how did this get here i'm not good with bees". It's nice to see someone take action against the drat bees!

This thread makes me sad - those bees were probably from someone's hive, and had just swarmed off. Probably one of their neighbors, too. Anyone who has an apiary could probably have collected them safely, and gotten them back to useful, useful, honey production. Plus, honeybees are the sweetest, nicest bees.

Slo-Tek posted:

Excellent, evocative imagery.

I felt like I was there, thinking "dumb bastard is gonna blow his hands off, I must watch"

Also, not a bee person, but isn't a bee swarm worth money to a bee-keeper? Like you call them and say "come get these bees" and they will do their bee thing and they will pay for them?

Yes, this too. They form swarms like that because they are protecting a new queen. A bee-keeper can come and collect them, and get a brand-new hive out of it. They'd probably do it for free, too, since bees are not cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Murda
Sep 15, 2002

Those are spectacular action shots. I would not have the balls to huck containers of flammables at an already burning object like that.

mack
Mar 6, 2005
Jesus, that was a poo poo load of bees. Why call an exterminator when you can just take matters into your own hands? :v:

Voted 5.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
I don't think there was a better way to handle this situation. :)

LongHairedHippy
Dec 18, 2006
wait. the lawn is plastic? like, astroturf?

Itious
Apr 27, 2006
You know you could have just called a beekeeper and he would have come and removed the bees for free? Thats what we did when we had a swarm in the rose bush in the front yard.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Yes yes, call a bee keeper, get them hauled off. That does not make a good thread. Balls of fire? Now thats a thread i like to see, good show.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Itious posted:

You know you could have just called a beekeeper and he would have come and removed the bees for free? Thats what we did when we had a swarm in the rose bush in the front yard.

That doesn't make for very good pictures.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
Don't turn this into a "Think of the bees!" thread. Those were awesome action shots. The photography alone should be enough for a good thread. What camera did you use?

candyfiend
May 31, 2004

by Fragmaster
Hahahaha ... oh man. That close-up picture of the bee swarm is so detailed; it grosses me out just looking at it.

I salute you, American hero. :patriot: Some would have stopped at one bonfire. You wouldn't rest until they were all dead. Well done, soldier!

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
Awesome thread. AMAZING pictures. My favorites are him throwing the hitch, then running away.

Ardonis
Feb 18, 2004

Yeah, it′s kinda like that.
Oh god, that's the funniest thing I've seen all day. I feel a little sorry for the bees. I doubt I'd have had the guts to screw with them myself; I'm from Texas, and hence, afraid of killer bees.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

GBS = GIANT BEE SWARM!

Seriously, those pictures are hilarious. Especially with the one with him running away!

:patriot:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I thought this thread was going to be about bee guns.

Enormous fiery balls of bee death are cool too, I guess.

plainclothes goth
Jul 15, 2001
You are a dangerous, insane person. Thank you for being you.

Interrectum
Sep 18, 2004

Du liebes kind, komm, geh mit mir
Man that was awesome but you might need to replace those swing seats.

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT
Epic. Truly epic.
WTG overcoming those mangy bees...look at them, just flying all around...not a care in the world...they needed justice...and justice...was served. :patriot:

typedef
Jan 6, 2001

by Ozma
haha, that was great

I remember a few years ago some dude posted a thread detailing how he destroyed a beehive (or maybe it was a hornet's nest...) by blowing it up with M-80s or fireworks or something.

Anyway, next time I see a bunch of bees coagulating around something, I'll know what to do :patriot:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Amazing pictures. I can't thank you enough for risking your hide to get those shots.

Git
Aug 21, 2004

I hope I will never ever meet you in person. That was awesome and all, but you sound like one crazy son of a bitch.

wharf cat
Aug 9, 2005

What's that jackass doing.. I KNOW YOU asshole
and so the bee holocaust has begun
voted 5

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I love that the internet allows me to hear the stories of people like this without actually having to meet them.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Hahaha that was good, but the rest of thebees WILL come back for you.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I guess you can't bee my grandpa then :colbert:

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

You crazy motherfuckers have made my day.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
How did you get such great action pictures? The ones with the objects in mid air are incredible. It is not very often I say this, but things like this make me proud to have grown up in the south with just a little redneck influence. We got in the same situation on the 4th of July at my friend's house and I can sum up what happens with a simple math formula

200 dollars of fireworks > 1 bee hive.

not even troll irl
Aug 25, 2006

by Lowtax
those pictures are awesome

z0rge Costanza
Jul 30, 2006

My posting...it's shit Jerry! Shit!
This is the best "burn it with fire" thread I have ever seen in GBS. :patriot:

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
You insane bastard. You know they are only going to come back with support!

Flannel Blob
Feb 3, 2004
horah!

jacert posted:

What camera did you use?

Its a Canon Digital Rebel XT and I was using a 28-135IS lens. In daylight it is easy to use a fast shutter speed to freeze the action like that.

We did call around about how to remove bees and the only advice we got was deal with it yourself unless we wanted to pay a huge premium for having them come out on a holiday weekend. Nobody said anything about getting a beekeeper. In hindsight that would be been a good idea, albeit pretty boring.

This was a chance for him and I to relive some of our childhood shenanigans. We grew up on the same street, and fire was a regular part of our lives back then.

The hole is in the rental property behind the swingset. We don't know if they did something to cause the hive to evacuate or if it was part of the hive breaking off to start anew.

There were no bees in sight at dusk. Mission Accomplished! Thanks and glad so many can appreciate what we did today. It was fun despite inhaling all the strange fumes.

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely
I feel bad because my family has beehives, because we like bees. However, I can see this happening with them too; my brother and father have an obsession with fire.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Santa is strapped posted:

Hahaha that was good, but the rest of thebees WILL come back for you.

First they are going to have to develop tiny asbestos suits.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

On the one hand, those poor little bees weren't hurting anybody...

On the other hand, those pictures were loving hilarious!

GymnastyThom
Nov 26, 2005
Do you smell something? You know what that reminds me of? That smells like.. vampire shit.
GREAT photos! love the look of terror on friends face when throwing the trailer hitch.
"OH THE BEEMANITY" had me rolling.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Got a huge Terminator 2 vibe off of those burning swings.

ItalicSquirrel
Sep 6, 2004

I'm laughing like an idiot. Thank you.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Wir müssen die Bienen ausrotten!

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

I absolutley loved the escalation. That second to last photo with the mushroom cloud is beautiful.

NurseRatchet
Dec 13, 2006

by Fistgrrl
great pictures. I cant even imagine looking out and seeing....Oh God...the bees!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

love 2 text my friends
Jun 30, 2004

Looks like you had a bee-bee-q!

Flannel Blob posted:

Its a Canon Digital Rebel XT and I was using a 28-135IS lens. In daylight it is easy to use a fast shutter speed to freeze the action like that.
Do you get basically zero shutter lag with that?