Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Directed by: Shawn Levy
Starring: Ben Stiller, Robin Williams, Mickey Rooney, Dick Van Dyke, Bill Cobbs

also starring: Owen Wilson makes an uncredited appearance. Ann Meara, Ben Stiller’s mother, makes an appearance.

Saw this last night (premier) with a bunch of 12-14 year-olds I was chaperoning. The trailer worked for me, although I am not a huge fan of Ben Stiller or Robin Williams (after about 1989). The theater was half-empty, surprising for opening night. I’m guessing that there was a lot of negative buzz.

Stiller plays a rudderless divorced father. He takes a job as a night watchman in a museum to, among other reasons, demonstrate to his young son that he can find steady employment.

The trailer lays out the meat of the story line. The family subplot is minimal. Van Dyke, Rooney and Cobbs were unexpected treats.

I found the film to be a lot of fun, and funny. The herd with me want to see it again, and are still talking about it. It didn’t have any dead spots. It received a vigorous ovation, and I hope the buzz fills the seats. Robin Williams and Ben Stiller were both admirably restrained.

That having been said this is not a critic’s film, so the weighting of reviews on sites like Rotten Tomatoes (about 50/50 at this writing) is not a surprise. I like a good, fun film, and this one definitely fits the bill.

Another minor con were a couple of glaring continuity errors, but most people did not seem to notice them.

It moved along well, and was funny. CGI was excellent and used appropriately. Mickey Rooney (whom I thought passed on years ago) was a hoot.

RATING: 4

PROS: Well-paced, Funny.
CONS: Subplot lines are not fully sketched-out and a bitt ragged. Continuity errors.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0477347/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I thought this was fun, visually exciting, and enough laughs to keep me interested in the film. Owen Wilson wasn't completely annoying, which is an accomplishment in itself. Ben Stiller doesn't so much act as he makes surprised faces at what's happening around him for two hours, but that's about all I expected. He's not the star of this movie, the museum, and the production crew that had to put that together, are. Bring your kids and history buffs.

3.5/5

antihero
Oct 11, 2004

Just got back from seeing this and don't understand why many aren't liking it. I smiled through the whole movie and enjoyed Stiller's performance.

I could not believe they threw in a Brokeback Mountain reference by Wilson in the movie. Everyone in my theatre got it and burst into dying laughter. Out of nowhere!

3.5/5

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Just got back from seeing this with the wife and kid, and we liked it a lot. The theater was packed, as in every seat full, and the film was well received.

Some fairly clever dialogues and situations, and of course the to-be-expected humor of Stiller/Wilson. It may be just me, but I like them the best when they are doing the fake/over the top sympathetic/understanding bits (little Attila, he had something ripped out...his heart).

Overall, 4/5, and for a seasonal flick, 5/5.

ps: I AIN'T QUITTIN' YOU!

adisca
May 6, 2003

Young Turks
Pros: Nice idea (the book is probably fantastic). Cute scenes that your children or your girlfriend will enjoy.

Cons: Horrendous acting from (almost) the entire cast. Worse script. Nearly devoid of humor. Besides being full of holes, the plot is weak and feels forced at the end.

This movie contains magic and imagination that some of us miss so much from our childhood. Unfortunately, it's a lovely movie.

Shasta Cola
Jun 16, 2003

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery just mowing us all down.
Saw this last night with my friends. I'm not a huge fan of Ben Stiller, so I wasn't expecting much, but the movie was surprisingly VERY entertaining. I haven't laughed out loud in a movie theater in a long time. The scene where Owen Wilson and Octavius are letting air out of the tires is HILARIOUS!

4/5

Priapist
Aug 10, 2002

Heeeere's Herbie!
I thought it started out to be a wonderful throwback to the great Disney films of the 60's I loved as a kid. Mickey Rooney and Dick Van Dyke were nice casting touches. Halfway through, however, it started to feel like a knock-off of those flicks. They went for too many kid-movie cliches and character development was nearly non-existent. I'm not even sure why they bothered with Carla Gugino's character, she doesn't have much to do here.

That said, it's a fairly fun film, especially for kids. Stiller has a few funny moments. 3/5

LeosBoots
Aug 26, 2005

The mail is the one final hope for resurrecting a dead planet from its ashes, and the letter carriers are the brave soldiers of God in this righteous crusade.
It was a fairly good movie. I laughed alot. It was a pretty cut and paste plot, and anyone over 13 could easily tell what would happen next. What made it unique and bearable was that it was delivered well, and the jokes were actually good. I went in with low expectations, but I was suprised. It's not a masterpeice, but it's something I actually wouldn't mind seeing again.

+ for Ahkmenrah and Attila the Hun.
+ for the villanous Dick Van Dyke, Mickey Rooney, and Bill Cobbs
- for monkey jokes. They're old.
- for the Deadbeat Dad tries to earn childs love subplot.

Overall, a 3.75/5

Xiu Xiu
Jul 10, 2005

no ricky
stop it ricky
cmon ricky
ricky please
Man, I don't know if my place got a rough cut. But in about 6 scenes, there were boom microphones in FRONT of people's faces.

Other then that, it was a fun movie.

lauratiny
Mar 20, 2005

Xiu Xiu posted:

Man, I don't know if my place got a rough cut. But in about 6 scenes, there were boom microphones in FRONT of people's faces.

Other then that, it was a fun movie.

That's what happened when I saw Stranger than Fiction. Very disctracting.

I really enjoyed Night at the Museum. It definitely had it's flaws (weak plot, not MUCH character development, overall just a quick movie) but it's more of a children's movie so I'm quick to forgive.

The tire scene with Owen and Octavius was definitely the funniest part.

Xiu Xiu
Jul 10, 2005

no ricky
stop it ricky
cmon ricky
ricky please

lauratiny posted:

That's what happened when I saw Stranger than Fiction. Very disctracting.

I really enjoyed Night at the Museum. It definitely had it's flaws (weak plot, not MUCH character development, overall just a quick movie) but it's more of a children's movie so I'm quick to forgive.

The tire scene with Owen and Octavius was definitely the funniest part.

I don't get that. Some theaters get rough cuts or something? That doesn't make sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I noticed the mic booms as well. They were there at least 3 times that I saw and I wasn't really looking for them.

Overall, I have to say I was disappointed by Night at the Museum. Night at the Museum is pretty much a comedy with a gimmick. A very expensive and interesting gimmick. But even gimmick movies need some sort of feeling of suspense or excitment. I was dissapointed that a lot of the exhibits that come to left just felt like ornaments. After the initial novelty and jokes of the different exhibits coming to life, they didn't grow on me much. I thought it was weired that the antaganists in the movie pretty much appear in cameos. I could be wrong I can't remember a film with less plot development or face time for the antagonists.