Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Embedded_Image
Mar 12, 2003

headfirst

Nate RFB posted:

As in, the best stuff to use to watch fansubs? I think it might be a bit unnecessary, but it can't hurt either.

It'll be nice for newbies and for when standards inevitably start shifting again. It can also have little stuff like "the subtitle option doesn't work like you may think it does, select the Mplayer control window and hit "b" to bring them up".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Embedded_Image posted:

Intering. If you type in "Yu-Gi-Oh" it will take you to the correct page. If you type in "yu gi oh" it returns nothing. How hard is it to add closest matches to the search results?

That's because I didn't feel like building umpteen redirects. I went with the two most common spellings instead. Likewise, I'm working on Zeta Gundam right now, and will probably have a redirect from Z-Gundam, but probably won't bother with making redirects from Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, because almost nobody types out the full thing like that. And I don't want to spam up the database.

Of course, if you want to add some redirects, go ahead. They're are easy and the same as any other Wiki.

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!

Embedded_Image posted:

Last thing: does anyone think it would be a good idea to have a players/codec page? It might be an easy way to keep everyone current.
I don't see why you couldn't just update the ADTRW FAQ wiki page instead of adding junk onto this that doesn't need to be there.

Embedded_Image
Mar 12, 2003

headfirst

Menacer posted:

I don't see why you couldn't just update the ADTRW FAQ wiki page instead of adding junk onto this that doesn't need to be there.

Ah, yes, the ADTRW Wiki. I completely forgot about that. Man, too bad there isn't an emoticon smacking his forehead in a sort of "doh!" way...

:v:

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Embedded_Image posted:

Last thing: does anyone think it would be a good idea to have a players/codec page? It might be an easy way to keep everyone current.
Sound good. SH/SC has a list of suggested software for computer users to check out, after all. :)

Ayabi
Aug 26, 2006

Sorry, but I'd rather leave the stage.
I registered as Ayabi.

Dan a man
Dec 27, 2004

If there's really so many people in the world, there had to be someone who wasn't ordinary, someone who was living an interesting life. But why wasn't I that ChuChu?
Signed up as Dan a man.

By the way, I love the logo.

TwoPly
Jul 10, 2001
Back in action.
Registered as TwoPly.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not wearing any pants
Signed up as Customer Service

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I got a Death Note page up but it needs a lot of work. I've never read the manga or seen the movie, nor am I too familiar with shows like this (the two series in the "You May Like..." section were complete guesses on my part.)

I just wanted to get something up there to attract the better informed.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Signed up as doomisland. Maybe I can contribute :shobon:

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!
signed up as Grenadier.

Mr VacBob
Aug 27, 2003
Was yea ra chs hymmnos mea
Signed up as the obvious.

Samuel Q. Boxman
Oct 31, 2005

HUH
Can we add video games based on anime? I have a review I wrote for the Bleach GC game then decided to do nothing with it that I could change a bit and add to the site.

Also, how about a list of all the shows added?

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
In as JimBobDole

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All approved.

Samuel Q. Boxman posted:

Can we add video games based on anime? I have a review I wrote for the Bleach GC game then decided to do nothing with it that I could change a bit and add to the site.

Also, how about a list of all the shows added?
It's up to everyone, but honestly I'd rather keep it simple and just have it be for shows. There could be a section for stuff like Melty Blood and the like though, so it's not out of the question.

One question I have is making an index...couldn't we just make a "Recommendation Index" page, and update it with each new entry? Seems to my primitive wiki mind that that might be the best way to organize it. Since if you go to "All Page" you'll get some repeated entries, and some pages which aren't related.

FuryK
May 5, 2004
MTFN Residential god.
In as Furyk. Awesome idea.

Nate RFB posted:

It's up to everyone, but honestly I'd rather keep it simple and just have it be for shows. There could be a section for stuff like Melty Blood and the like though, so it's not out of the question.

Agreed. If we're going to do this, let's focus only on anime and manga first. If we're going to expand it, let's expand it once we've got some content.

FuryK fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 17, 2007

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

All approved.

One question I have is making an index...couldn't we just make a "Recommendation Index" page, and update it with each new entry? Seems to my primitive wiki mind that that might be the best way to organize it. Since if you go to "All Page" you'll get some repeated entries, and some pages which aren't related.
This crossed my mind when I looked at All Pages and saw about six of them were redirects for Yu-Gi-Oh. I've got no problems with it. We'd just need to go through the pages every so often and update it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pierson posted:

This crossed my mind when I looked at All Pages and saw about six of them were redirects for Yu-Gi-Oh. I've got no problems with it. We'd just need to go through the pages every so often and update it.
It's pretty easy to edit the index, so if everyone who adds a new entry just adds it in the Index as the last step, that would work. I don't anticipate problems but I hope we won't run into situations with people messing with the Index :shobon:

I think this works.

One possible situation we could run into is with repeated entries for stuff that has both anime and manga equivalents. I had to think about where to place Death Note, since the entry itself is written to apply to both the anime and manga series. Sometimes it's fine and the entry can apply for both...but there will be plenty of situations where someone may want to write an entry for a specific version. I guess it's up to each person's discretion.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

It's pretty easy to edit the index, so if everyone who adds a new entry just adds it in the Index as the last step, that would work. I don't anticipate problems but I hope we won't run into situations with people messing with the Index :shobon:

I think this works.

One possible situation we could run into is with repeated entries for stuff that has both anime and manga equivalents. I had to think about where to place Death Note, since the entry itself is written to apply to both the anime and manga series. Sometimes it's fine and the entry can apply for both...but there will be plenty of situations where someone may want to write an entry for a specific version. I guess it's up to each person's discretion.
Something that would be easier is just to categorize each article ([[Category:Anime (TV)]] for example) so mediawiki will automatically sort them and we won't have to manually add them to a list.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

raezr posted:

Something that would be easier is just to categorize each article ([[Category:Anime (TV)]] for example) so mediawiki will automatically sort them and we won't have to manually add them to a list.
This works, but how do you get it so that when an entry is added that has [[Category:Anime (TV)]] it'll populate it in a list? I added categories to the Haibane Page, but there still doesn't seem to be an easy way to see it pop back up.

This is the best I could come up with. Is there an easier way to, say, populate a list within another page with the members of a category?

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat
registered as decoy octopus

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
We'll just have to use the index to link to each category, I guess. We should probably discuss what categories to use...

Format categories should be pretty easy: Anime (TV), Anime (OVA), Anime (Movie), and Manga

For Genre categories, we should probably at least have the basics:
Drama
Comedy
Sci-Fi
Horror
Romance
Mystery

And then a few anime specific ones, perhaps?
Slice of Life
Mecha
Harem
Shounen Fighting ?

Any more/less?

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Dear Aunt, lets set so double the killer delete select all.

Hate to go for the obvious, but Action, and for specific ones we could do Cyber/Steampunk

Embedded_Image
Mar 12, 2003

headfirst
Magical Girl
:psyduck:Mindfuck:psyduck: (There's at least one every other year and they seem to be popular :) )
Sports/"Burning Passion"

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Nate RFB posted:

Any more/less?

While it's unwieldy to add too many genres (you just end up wondering what the hell to pick for your show), you may want something for historical stuff, like Saiunkoku or Otogizoushi or whatever. A number of shows probably fall under "fantasy" as well (Scrapped Princess, Nausicaa?).

murklins
Jun 18, 2005
router hax plz
In as murklins.

Maybe allowing people to just write opinions for shows would help get this rolling? The rest of the information could be filled in later.

FuryK
May 5, 2004
MTFN Residential god.
I suggest we have specific tags as well sorting by genre. Something to help me avoid MOE shows along with maybe ultraviolent, yaoi, yuri, mindfuck, so good its bad, and a few other tags following the same principle.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Embedded_Image posted:

"Burning Passion"

Falls into Mecha, Shounen Fighting, and such.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Embedded_Image posted:

Magical Girl
:psyduck:Mindfuck:psyduck: (There's at least one every other year and they seem to be popular :) )
Sports/"Burning Passion"
Magical Girl, Sports, and Fantasy would probably work. I don't think Burning Passion or Mindfuck work because those are more like aspects of shows rather than a genre.

At some point we'll probably ask people to use one of the categories in some rules list or something. There's no harm in people including more genre's or categories, but they just won't show up on whatever index page we decide to link these all together with.

How's this:

Drama
Comedy
Sci-Fi
Horror
Romance
Mystery
Sports
Fantasy

Slice of Life
Mecha
Harem
Shounen Fighting
Magical Girl

Any more than that might be pushing it.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Signed up as Menacer.

Wait, no; CuLT.

I get so confused :shobon:

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!
Signed up as Beansy.

EDIT: Would it be a bad idea to copy information wholesale from wikipedia for some series? Obviously the purpose of this wiki is not just information but also qualitative recommendations, but for the information part, wikipedia already has some hella-comprehensive guides there for a lot of series (like literally 70+ different pages for the Naruto-verse).

Chrom1um fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 18, 2007

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

BeanFriedPork posted:

EDIT: Would it be a bad idea to copy information wholesale from wikipedia for some series? Obviously the purpose of this wiki is not just information but also qualitative recommendations, but for the information part, wikipedia already has some hella-comprehensive guides there for a lot of series (like literally 70+ different pages for the Naruto-verse).
Wikipedia is a public source of information, as this one, so it'd be fine. Lazy, but fine. Like you said the main purpose of the Wiki is to right recommendations rather than supply copious amounts of information and descriptions.

Moogy
Jun 16, 2005

by Fragmaster
I signed up as Moogy.

Seems like a pretty good idea. Wikipedia is good for information, but not viewer opinions, which can be more helpful in deciding what to watch in a lot of cases.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Signed up as Cube.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Template has been updated a bit, as well as the Index (now with HOT HOT internal wiki category linking action). I think this is a pretty good ground work for folks to start churning out pages. The only thing left is the voting system which can be implemented whenever.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Nate RFB posted:

Magical Girl, Sports, and Fantasy would probably work. I don't think Burning Passion or Mindfuck work because those are more like aspects of shows rather than a genre.

At some point we'll probably ask people to use one of the categories in some rules list or something. There's no harm in people including more genre's or categories, but they just won't show up on whatever index page we decide to link these all together with.

How's this:

Drama
Comedy
Sci-Fi
Horror
Romance
Mystery
Sports
Fantasy

Slice of Life
Mecha
Harem
Shounen Fighting
Magical Girl

Any more than that might be pushing it.

I know where you're coming from; the category page would look extremely sloppy if it just listed every sub-category of every niche genre. Then again, if this is primarily an anime recommendation engine, don't you think it would be really helpful for people to just be able to go to a page for a show and find other "mindfuck" or "girls with guns" shows, even if there are only a handful of shows in that category? We could make the more niche genres get listed in that "Anime Specific Genres" section after the main genre list. Or, we could even make those really narrow genres not appear on the main index, and only accessible through searching or through clicking on them from an anime's page. I think it'd be really useful.

On another topic, it seems like pages are being created rather slowly... maybe this site doesn't need to be private? The massive goon prank rush might not be as big as you think, and the ability to edit & create without having to make a post here and wait might be a bigger enticement than you think.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

XboxPants posted:

I know where you're coming from; the category page would look extremely sloppy if it just listed every sub-category of every niche genre. Then again, if this is primarily an anime recommendation engine, don't you think it would be really helpful for people to just be able to go to a page for a show and find other "mindfuck" or "girls with guns" shows, even if there are only a handful of shows in that category? We could make the more niche genres get listed in that "Anime Specific Genres" section after the main genre list. Or, we could even make those really narrow genres not appear on the main index, and only accessible through searching or through clicking on them from an anime's page. I think it'd be really useful.

On another topic, it seems like pages are being created rather slowly... maybe this site doesn't need to be private? The massive goon prank rush might not be as big as you think, and the ability to edit & create without having to make a post here and wait might be a bigger enticement than you think.
One thing I didn't think about is having an internal wiki category link for each genre in each entry...at first I didn't think it'd be useful, but that's definitely a possibility.

I just want to avoid being too specific with the genres. If we're not careful we could go the way of ANN and have stuff like "Serious" and "Supernatural" and "Psychological." Not that those are bad or anything, but I think it's being too specific. "Girls With Guns" however is pretty good; it's a specific niche as you said. I'm glad it's been added.

The reason we're using approved registration is to avoid drama with people loving with the wiki. This isn't like TVIV where just about everyone is just about on the same page with respects to other shows. I think it's a safe assumption that an anime fanbase, even in a place like ADTRW, is pretty divided on a lot of shows. It's the same reason why the Haruhi threads were being massively voted down for a while from the banners; people outside of ADTRW were coming in each time a new one popped up. Besides, we have 49 users so far; that should be a plenty good enough start for a while. I guess people are just waiting (:argh: ) for the wiki to be finalized.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
In as Willie Westwood

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 19, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I made some changes to the Template to try to make its instructions for the categories more clear, but I really don't know if it's that much of an improvement. I'm trying to make it easier for people to start making entries.

EDIT: Ahh, there's the Haruhi page.

• Locked thread