Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BLOG KING
Jun 20, 2004
I signed up as Metricleft. I might add some information about the Haruhi novels without spoiling them. A reader's guide, if you will. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

raezr posted:

I added [[Category:All Pages]] to the infobox so it doesn't need to be added to every page, and I guess a side effect was that "Template" got included in that category.
That's a great idea, though people who choose to not use the infobox will have to remember to include it themselves. I guess we could put more detailed instructions in the Template to clear all that stuff up...or not use the infobox in the Template.

EDIT: I added a Macross Plus entry.

I also hosed around with the Template. I just can't leave the drat thing alone so I'm sorry if some of these changes seem weird. My goal was to get rid of "Template" being included in the all pages category, and also providing some options for people using the infobox. Maybe it's just me being anal but seeing the infobox used incorrectly drives me crazy. It's easy to forget that just because you haven't included a field in the infobox doesn't mean it won't show up in the entry itself (Original Manga :argh: ). Feel free to tear what I've done apart; I'm just trying to find some happy medium to make making new pages easier without as much maintenance needed after completion.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 27, 2007

Samuel Q. Boxman
Oct 31, 2005

HUH
I started a Welcome to the NHK page, and I'll add more to it soon probably. Someone put something under 'If you like this...' because I can't really think of anything.

Animedork2075
Aug 31, 2005

Burning Tires with Burning Spirit!
:kamina:
Signed up as Animedork2075 (old SA username. I will eventually change it back)

I will look into this. Soon, I will probably add something.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I signed up as Mercury Crusader (I will never tire of this username, ten years after the fact :colbert: ). I will probably contribute more obscure crap than anything else. Yes.

I am now slightly enticed to make a Gundoh Musashi page...

EDIT: I wrote a Galaxy Angel page. It only refers to the first season, however. I don't know if we should treat each "season" as a seperate series or not, but there you have it.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 28, 2007

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Signed up as Griever.

Unless someone else fancies doing it, I might make a Vision of Escaflowne page, I just watched it all for the first time a week or two ago. Great stuff.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mercury Crusader posted:

EDIT: I wrote a Galaxy Angel page. It only refers to the first season, however. I don't know if we should treat each "season" as a seperate series or not, but there you have it.
I'm not sure how others feel, but I think for sake of preventing the wiki from being clustered it would be better if it were all one entry. What else are we going to put into for the descriptions of Z, A, and X to differentiate them? It's not like the plot ever really changes outside of new characters being added. That said, hooray for a GA entry.

Griever posted:

Unless someone else fancies doing it, I might make a Vision of Escaflowne page, I just watched it all for the first time a week or two ago. Great stuff.
gently caress yeah! I might've done it at some point but I guess I felt, like Bebop or Eva, the show has too much exposure. Don't let that stop you though.

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Dear Aunt, lets set so double the killer delete select all.

Nate RFB posted:

gently caress yeah! I might've done it at some point but I guess I felt, like Bebop or Eva, the show has too much exposure. Don't let that stop you though.

I thought we were creating this wiki as an anime suppository repository so I can't say for sure but I don't think any series is taboo, except maybe Pokemon.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

*UGZ*Log posted:

I thought we were creating this wiki as an anime suppository repository so I can't say for sure but I don't think any series is taboo, except maybe Pokemon.
Oh of course, but I guess the feeling is "Why bother go through the trouble of writing up an entry for a show the reader most likely has seen?" I'm sure at some point the likes of Eva, Bebop, and Escaflowne will find their way into the wiki. Just that's my reasoning as to why I'd be writing other entries before them.

At this point the more the better.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
The main purpose was to replace the recommendation thread. So say someone likes Pokemon and wants to find something like it... Ok bad example. but you get my drift. Don't bother with the description and stuff about the show but merely make the "If you liked this..."

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Signed up as Broken Loose.

As I'm very knowledgeable about these series, I intend to add an Ideon page, a Macross page, an Escaflowne page, and pretty much any robot series that I've sat through and properly researched.

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!
Seriously guys, just remember that the primary reason for this wiki is to recommend series to people. If you're trying to make some gigantic conglomoration of pages about all the anime anyone here has seen (whether it sucked or not and whether or not everyone has already seen it) you're just going to end up making a lovely version of the ANN encyclopedia.

moodgiesanta
Jan 26, 2005

Dynamite!
Signed up as Moodgiesanta. I guess I have to learn some wikicode stuff now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, part of the problem with the old recommendation thread was that almost every anime would, at some point, get put in. The supposed deterrents now are that the effort to write up a full entry, combined with registering (in the wiki and in this thread), is high enough that most of what does get put in is 'worthy.' If and when a voting system is put in, that's the other way to keep potential "bad" entries in check. I somehow doubt it'll become a problem anyway.

I'll worry about all of this when there's an actual steady amount of new entries coming in :nyoron:

moodgiesanta
Jan 26, 2005

Dynamite!
I made a page about Elfen Lied, because every so often you see a thread about it and it would be nice to have something to point them towards.

Also I secretly hope people will put shows under the "If you liked this . . ." because that seems like the most important part of any page, that is, other shows that people will like if they like that show. I mean, it's nice to have a huge big page on Haruhi because most all of us love it, but it seems the best possible thing for such a popular show would be other shows people would like that are similar. Just listing shows doesn't seem helpful enough. Shouldn't there be like a sentence, maybe two, telling what it is about the show you are listing that makes it relevant?

Say we have a hypothetical School Rumble page. Should we just list shows that have something in common with School Rumble, or should we say what it is about the show we are listing that would interest a fan of School Rumble in an easily digestable sentence? Like "Haruhi has wacky school adventures too" or "if you like the love triangles and don't mind an extra heaping of drama check out Honey and Clover." Not great examples but that's just off the top of my head.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

moodgiesanta posted:

Also I secretly hope people will put shows under the "If you liked this . . ." because that seems like the most important part of any page, that is, other shows that people will like if they like that show. I mean, it's nice to have a huge big page on Haruhi because most all of us love it, but it seems the best possible thing for such a popular show would be other shows people would like that are similar. Just listing shows doesn't seem helpful enough. Shouldn't there be like a sentence, maybe two, telling what it is about the show you are listing that makes it relevant?

Say we have a hypothetical School Rumble page. Should we just list shows that have something in common with School Rumble, or should we say what it is about the show we are listing that would interest a fan of School Rumble in an easily digestable sentence? Like "Haruhi has wacky school adventures too" or "if you like the love triangles and don't mind an extra heaping of drama check out Honey and Clover." Not great examples but that's just off the top of my head.
The only problem with that is that it might discourage people from bothering to put as many shows down, especially if they wind up repeating themselves for each entry. More information (as long as it is concise) is usually a good thing. Right now very few of the "If You Liked This" entries actually point to anything, which is something else we could start addressing. Overall though I agree with you, and at some point I'll add something to the entries I've made. Redundancies be damned, the more helpful we are to a user browsing the wiki, the better.

One thing I do feel is that perhaps some pages are getting a little heavy handed on the description side...in the end, only a paragraph or two should really be necessary. The important information is the opinion of the user and the list of shows to link to in "If You Liked This." On that point, for example, is the Haruhi page too big? Do we really need large introductions for the characters?

Going further, is having the "Short Outline" even necessary at all if it's going to be expanded in the next section? Maybe it would almost be better if we were to adopt the "Sum up an anime in one sentence" concept from that thread.

This thread right now is being used to mostly just work out the kinks in the wiki and get new users approved...but certainly we could use it for other things. Such as help in generating shows for the "If You Liked This." For example, just WHAT shows would you put in that section for Haruhi? It feels strange leaving the most "important" part of the page blank.

clearacell
Mar 25, 2006

Just gotta take it down...like a champ.

moodgiesanta posted:

I made a page about Elfen Lied, because every so often you see a thread about it and it would be nice to have something to point them towards.

For Haruhi "if you liked this...you'd like", I put School Rumble, Azumanga Daioh, and Kanon. To me it's more of a trend of what the fanbases like, because if you look at those shows listed, Kanon (the remake, actually) seems like the black sheep, but a lot of the fanbase gravitated toward it not because it's similar to Haruhi, but the fact that it had a Kyon-like character (voiced by the same guy) and was by Kyoto Animation.

They also have school aged main characters with some humor and slice of life elements as well, so if you wanted to take similarity in genre, you can argue that they all share certain elements.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Menacer posted:

Seriously guys, just remember that the primary reason for this wiki is to recommend series to people. If you're trying to make some gigantic conglomoration of pages about all the anime anyone here has seen (whether it sucked or not and whether or not everyone has already seen it) you're just going to end up making a lovely version of the ANN encyclopedia.

The point is to recommend series to people, but I disagree with some of what you're saying. Even if everyone has already seen Cowboy Bebop, I think it's still very useful to have a page for it. The way I imagine this site being used is that you go there, look up an anime you have enjoyed, and follow the recommendations from there. That way, even if the show isn't something you'd generally recommend to people, it still has a place on the site. In fact, the more popular, "everyone has seen it" shows might even be MORE useful to put in, especially if the "You might also like this" pages are also created.

Nate RFB posted:

One thing I do feel is that perhaps some pages are getting a little heavy handed on the description side...in the end, only a paragraph or two should really be necessary. The important information is the opinion of the user and the list of shows to link to in "If You Liked This." On that point, for example, is the Haruhi page too big? Do we really need large introductions for the characters?

Going further, is having the "Short Outline" even necessary at all if it's going to be expanded in the next section? Maybe it would almost be better if we were to adopt the "Sum up an anime in one sentence" concept from that thread.

Maybe you're right. I honestly do feel that, at the absolute max, 1 or 2 paragraphs is the most you really need for the purposes of this show. We don't really need a list of character bios here. Probably, the more concise you can get the info down to, the better; if you can get it to one sentence, awesome, although mandating that might be a little restrictive.

So, what do we really need on an ADTRWiki page? Maybe the recommendations should come even before the short description. The short description is good... but I don't think we need the main outline at all. Go to wikipedia if you want detailed information - maybe a link like that should be on the links at the bottom.

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Dear Aunt, lets set so double the killer delete select all.

If we are going to put in pages for anime that is generally accepted as "everyone's seen it" and/or "horrible, avoid it" we should keep those entries down to a few lines outside of the reccomendations box, and note as to what it's been classified as.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

XboxPants posted:

So, what do we really need on an ADTRWiki page? Maybe the recommendations should come even before the short description. The short description is good... but I don't think we need the main outline at all. Go to wikipedia if you want detailed information - maybe a link like that should be on the links at the bottom.
A description of some kind is necessary, I think. To really sell a recommendation I think you need to talk about what the show is about, outside of one or two sentences. It's just that you don't that to be too long. SO basically I think a paragraph or two that's longer than the Short Outlines but shorter than the Plot Description is the proper medium.

I also think this is why we need the Description before the Opinions; it's harder to talk about why a show is great without some sort of explanation before hand to set the reader up. I don't think I'm wording this very well, but I just can't help but shake the feeling having the opinion first would make the entries sound weird. I like to be able to make references to what the show is about, explained prior by a description, in my opinion paragraphs.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Nate RFB posted:

A description of some kind is necessary, I think. To really sell a recommendation I think you need to talk about what the show is about, outside of one or two sentences. It's just that you don't that to be too long. SO basically I think a paragraph or two that's longer than the Short Outlines but shorter than the Plot Description is the proper medium.

I also think this is why we need the Description before the Opinions; it's harder to talk about why a show is great without some sort of explanation before hand to set the reader up. I don't think I'm wording this very well, but I just can't help but shake the feeling having the opinion first would make the entries sound weird. I like to be able to make references to what the show is about, explained prior by a description, in my opinion paragraphs.

I find that one of the best ways to get a "feel" for a show is just to read the op in the show's respecitve thread. Keeping this in mind might make for concise summaries of the show while also adding more of a dynamic sense to the description. Basically write about the show like you actually find it interesting, but don't go out and summarize the whole first episode or something crazy. As such 1 or 2 paragraphs might be small but really all you need is an introduction to the rest of the article.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Count me in. "Roger Explosion". :awesome:

Popular Trio
Sep 13, 2004

In as PopularTrio. Please hurry, if I don't write my own weight in scathing things about Gonzo in a wiki every 24 hours I die.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
After what felt like forever I finally figured out making a wiki page and made a FMA page. Maybe someone hasn't seen it. Not everyone gets CN. Please don't kill my freakish child.

Squallege fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 3, 2007

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Edit does not equal reply

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The page is decent, the bonus lust picture was a nice touch as well. I feel more stuff can be added in the "if you liked this" section.

Totalizator fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 3, 2007

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is Fullmetal Alchemist really a Sci-Fi show? I would say Drama/Action/Fantasy.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

Is Fullmetal Alchemist really a Sci-Fi show? I would say Drama/Action/Fantasy.

It's kinda Science Fictiony considering Archer's return to the series as as a cyborg. Also I guess I consider automail science fiction but it's really no big deal.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It certainly has a small number of Sci-Fi elements, but I don't think that places it in the Sci-Fi genre. I would have to place Galaxy Angel in the Mecha and Drama genres as well with that way of thinking.

Dr. Pwn
Jul 15, 2005

Money is the blood and soul of men and whosoever has none wanders dead among the living.
I'd like to put in something about the NHK manga, but I'm not sure what to do format-wise. Does it deserve its own page separate from the anime? If so, do I rename the current page to "Welcome to the N.H.K. (anime)" and make a disambiguation page, or keep it as it is now and add a line at the top linking to [[Welcome to the N.H.K. (manga)]]?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dr. Pwn posted:

I'd like to put in something about the NHK manga, but I'm not sure what to do format-wise. Does it deserve its own page separate from the anime? If so, do I rename the current page to "Welcome to the N.H.K. (anime)" and make a disambiguation page, or keep it as it is now and add a line at the top linking to [[Welcome to the N.H.K. (manga)]]?
It's a case by case basis, I guess. If you feel that the manga is different enough to warrant its own page, then yeah I would just do [[Welcome to the N.H.K. (Manga)]]. I don't think it could be a problem as long as we don't have too many double entries like that. What I did in the case of One Piece was add it to the Manga category as well, and in my opinion paragraph mentioned that I was specifically recommending the manga, and not the anime.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

It certainly has a small number of Sci-Fi elements, but I don't think that places it in the Sci-Fi genre. I would have to place Galaxy Angel in the Mecha and Drama genres as well with that way of thinking.

Fair enough, I edited the Sci-Fi out of it.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The Noein page is up, it didnt came out exactly the way i wanted, so feel free to edit the hell out of it, especialy the links, because i just kind of threw in whatever kind of similar stuff i could think of there.

WarMonger
Jun 13, 2001

in as "WarMonger", please approve me :shobon:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Here's Aim for the Top 2!. I talked to doomisland earlier about maybe renaming the Gunbuster page to "Aim for the Top! Gunbuster," just to make it clear this is a sequel to it. But I think it's fine since the two are usually better known by simply "Gunbuster" and "Aim for the Top 2!"

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nate RFB posted:

Here's Aim for the Top 2!. I talked to doomisland earlier about maybe renaming the Gunbuster page to "Aim for the Top! Gunbuster," just to make it clear this is a sequel to it. But I think it's fine since the two are usually better known by simply "Gunbuster" and "Aim for the Top 2!"

Actually i know neither of the two so i find this naming thing a bit confusing. Im thinking about making redirects working like this:

Aim for the Top ----> Gunbuster
Diebuster & Aim for the Top 2! Diebuster ----> Aim for the Top 2!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

In as Lights. Contribution may be few and far between until I get some personal stuff sorted out, though I have a fringe interest in doing Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru at.. some point.

Kozen
Mar 6, 2003
[img]"https://fi.somethingawful.com/customtitles/title-kozen-3.jpg[/img]
Maybe I am just a little bit broken...
*sigh* After much consideration I finally caved and signed up as Kozen.

I'm also finding it kind of funny that we got mad at the old Recommendation thread for being filled up with "." posts, and now this thread is filled with "Signed up as ____" posts. Ah well. At least Wiki is searchable :)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kozen posted:

*sigh* After much consideration I finally caved and signed up as Kozen.

I'm also finding it kind of funny that we got mad at the old Recommendation thread for being filled up with "." posts, and now this thread is filled with "Signed up as ____" posts. Ah well. At least Wiki is searchable :)
It's not like this thread is the recommendation thread. This is just where to sign up and discuss how the gently caress we're going to run this, since we're pretty much making it up as we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan a man
Dec 27, 2004

If there's really so many people in the world, there had to be someone who wasn't ordinary, someone who was living an interesting life. But why wasn't I that ChuChu?
It's great to see the wiki expanding, but I have a feeling it could be growing faster.

I could be wrong, but I think at this stage, making a list might go a long way. It could be right here in this thread, or maybe even in the wiki itself. Somewhere on the front page have a link to a list of top-priority shows that should be added as soon as possible.

It doesn't even have to be something that a lot of thought is put into, it just needs to be something to get everyone started.

Since the wiki is so small at the moment, any new article added will be noticed and because of that I bet that some people are nervous about putting something up. You can even see it a bit in this thread. People are wondering if we should put up an Eva article. On one hand nearly everyone has seen it so no one will really need the description to figure out if they want to watch it, but on the other hand, since so many have watched it, it could be a good branching point for people to find other shows that they might like.

So I say we get rid of that uncertainty. Just make an official list of shows that we want added. I think it'll work. Everyone who wants to can claim a show that they want to add to the wiki. And it might take an additional list or two, but I think eventually we'll get things kick started.

And once the wiki gets to that point, things should just go smoothly on their own. The abundance of articles will draw in more people. It will be big enough so that when someone makes a new page it doesn't feel like "OMG everyone is staring at me do this, aren't they?" And with more entries we'll hopefully attract more viewers and more contributors. And hopefully people will realize that they don't need to be a huge anime fan who reads ADTRW everyday to contribute. They just need have seen a couple of shows and have the ability to write a few coherent sentences.

And who knows, I realize I've been kind of like :words: but I think something like this may work. I really hope so, and I hope I'm not coming off as :downswords:

• Locked thread