Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dan a man
Dec 27, 2004

If there's really so many people in the world, there had to be someone who wasn't ordinary, someone who was living an interesting life. But why wasn't I that ChuChu?

Hexinet posted:

Not so much bad as poorly formed. It's full of unnecessary commas, is visibly strives to sound offical, etc.

3AM and I didn't put much :effort: into it. I'll clean it up when I can.
Hahah, that was a ninja edit that was referring to my own post. If you had seen what I had originally typed, it was nearly unreadable.

I wasn't making any judgments on your article, just letting you know about the Category information.

No hard feelings? :nyoron:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twofish
Apr 17, 2006

Dan a man posted:

No hard feelings? :nyoron:

Haha! No, none at all. My bad. I'm too insecure :awesome:

Edit:For manga, are we creating a separate page and writing it up or should we just create a sub heading in its associated Anime, assuming it has one. Ex. If I were to mention the Gunslinger Girl Manga, would I put another sub-heading on the GSG page and write a little blurb about it there, or would I just create another page for it titled "Gunslinger Girl (Manga)"? Or perhaps just "use discretion" as to whether or not the differences between an anime and a manga are great enough to justify an article? I know some manga don't have an anime and vice versa, so obviously it would need its own article, assuming it is popular enough to warrant one.

twofish fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 25, 2007

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Oh, that life
signed up as araeris.

I think the skeleton idea is a good one. There's so much anime out there, it may be intimidating to just pick one and open up a page about it.

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Dear Aunt, lets set so double the killer delete select all.

Hexinet posted:

Edit:For manga, are we creating a separate page and writing it up or should we just create a sub heading in its associated Anime, assuming it has one. Ex. If I were to mention the Gunslinger Girl Manga, would I put another sub-heading on the GSG page and write a little blurb about it there, or would I just create another page for it titled "Gunslinger Girl (Manga)"? Or perhaps just "use discretion" as to whether or not the differences between an anime and a manga are great enough to justify an article? I know some manga don't have an anime and vice versa, so obviously it would need its own article, assuming it is popular enough to warrant one.

Use your judgement. Fullmetal Alchemist requires 2 pages because the manga is so very different from the anime, but Shounen Jump anime only requires one because they all follow the manga quite precisely.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
Signed up as buzmeg.

I also like the idea about providing skeletons.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sorry for the laziness, but here is a totally incomplete Cowboy Bebop page. This is kind of what I had in mind, though I considered maybe not having any categories in it yet since it is so incomplete. If we were to populate the wiki with a lot of entries like this (separated into a different category), I think we could more collectively work on them and get more attention.

Dan a man
Dec 27, 2004

If there's really so many people in the world, there had to be someone who wasn't ordinary, someone who was living an interesting life. But why wasn't I that ChuChu?

Nate RFB posted:

Sorry for the laziness, but here is a totally incomplete Cowboy Bebop page. This is kind of what I had in mind, though I considered maybe not having any categories in it yet since it is so incomplete. If we were to populate the wiki with a lot of entries like this (separated into a different category), I think we could more collectively work on them and get more attention.
That's a good idea. We should probably make a Pages needing attention or Unfinished articles category.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Dan a man posted:

That's a good idea. We should probably make a Pages needing attention or Unfinished articles category.
I went ahead and made something similar to Wikipedia's stub template.

ChiefWahooMcDaniel
Jun 17, 2006

Computers go berserk. Electricity, water, gas will be out. Banks will be out of money, stores will be out of food, all the high scores on video games will be reset.
Signed as Caustic

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
So, I went into the wiki and clicked Zero no Tsukaima's entry, since I didn't realize it now had one, and the skeleton & stub status really helped encourage me to get a little bit more onto there. I pretty much just put in some recommendations, though. The other skeletons did actually make it really easy to just go through and put some recommendations in, although there were one or two series that I knew that I just did not know anything about, so I couldn't add any for them. If anyone's bored, this is the most important part of the entry, so...

If anyone else is getting stumped about recommendations, two things that helped me out were going to amazon and looking under their "users who bought this also bought this" section for DVDs (or manga I guess) of that show, and also just the top 200 anime list as voted on by users on animenfo - http://www.animenfo.com/statistic/top.php?type=anime, and just looking through that - the more general shows are towards the top, more niche ones towards the bottom.

I also tried, besides putting in shows that are just more of the same, (which is a great thing if you've found what you love!) to put in some matches that are a little more of a stretch, like "Irresponsible Captain Tylor" for One Piece or "Honey & Clover" for Welcome to the N.H.K. to help people move into slightly different types of shows that they might still enjoy. It is "shows you might also like", not "shows that are very similar", after all, and those aren't always the same thing. I also really like adding a few shows into the recommendations that aren't in the wiki yet; I believe this encourages people to add them. I hope neither of these things are problems for anyone.

Speaking of the "you might also like" section, is there a limit to how many shows we should put in there? I was hitting or breaking five shows in couple of the pages, and I did notice that most entries only have three, max. Is too many shows a problem? It seems like more choices would be better, so long as it was under ten, at the most, or so long as they were grouped into certain types ("if you liked the comedy, try these, if you liked the fantasy, try these") or had some description of how they related to the main show.

Dan a man
Dec 27, 2004

Nice job with all the recommendations.

And while we're talking about the recommendation section, I have a question. Maybe we should agree on a standard format. Most pages have a clarification statement above each show. But some have it below. And a some have it to the side.

Dan a man fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 4, 2007

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dan a man posted:

Nice job with all the recommendations.

And while we're talking about the recommendation section, I have a question. Maybe we should agree on a standard format. Most pages have a clarification statement above each show. But some have it below. And a some have it to the side.

I did worry a fair deal about this, especially since I was guilty of doing it at least two of these ways. :( I tried to just match whatever was currently on the page, but a standard is much better. I think bulleted lists for recommendations are the best choice, too (done by using a *, like "*[[Pokemon]]"). I'll have to chock up my "to the side" entries just to laziness, and suggest above to be the nicest looking and most effective choice. I'm gonna go ahead and make all the dead recommendation links into stubs now. Then, they'll have articles!

Edit: Should the really empty stubs go in the "all pages" category, or just in "stubs"? People might get annoyed if they go to all pages and a good deal of them are really lacking in content. Then again, that might just annoy them enough to convince them to add some content to those pages. Well, anything wrong I do will surely be fixed by goonWiki magic :v:

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 4, 2007

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hadn't even realized some entries were doing it differently. In my opinion, having it above with everything below listed in bullets is the best route, like in Azumanga Daioh's case.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Technical question: i'm planning to add pages on shows like Rozen Maiden and Mai-Otome in the next few days. Should i add separate pages for second seasons with different names (such as Rozen Maiden: Traumend) or just consider it one show? Same goes with Mai Otome and the OVA Zwei.

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Totalizator posted:

Technical question: i'm planning to add pages on shows like Rozen Maiden and Mai-Otome in the next few days. Should i add separate pages for second seasons with different names (such as Rozen Maiden: Traumend) or just consider it one show? Same goes with Mai Otome and the OVA Zwei.

Add a redirect for Traumend, but if Zwei's a different time, space, or set of characters (or anything in general) make a different page, probably.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

Totalizator posted:

Unless the plot is vastly different, like in HiME and Otome, I think just on the same page is fine. For the most part second seasons don't change the plot too much to warrant another page.

Dan a man
Dec 27, 2004

Wow, I just checked the stubs page... 79 unfinished articles. Well I guess we all have something to work towards for the next couple months. Actually, it would be pretty cool if we could get them all filled in before the Spring season ends.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Dan a man posted:

Wow, I just checked the stubs page... 79 unfinished articles. Well I guess we all have something to work towards for the next couple months. Actually, it would be pretty cool if we could get them all filled in before the Spring season ends.
I would note that most of these are literally the Template copy/pasted onto the page and nothing else. I think if we're going to make stubs we should at least put in the basic details of the show so people aren't following links to shows and finding themselves with no info and a picture of Musashi staring at them. :v:

This, to me at least, looks like a basic Stub article. It's got all the neccessary info for someone looking to find out what the series is about, and all it needs adding is opinions, an expanded description and external links, both of which can be added by someone who's seen/likes the show.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I suggest we merge "Short outline" and "Main description" into one general "Summary" section, because it feels ridiculous trying to write up massive descriptions that feel worthy of dwarfing the already fairly satisfactory outlines. We're not attempting to spoil the story, are we? It's also intimidating and stunting the growth of the wiki, I believe.

Dan a man
Dec 27, 2004

Pierson posted:

I would note that most of these are literally the Template copy/pasted onto the page and nothing else. I think if we're going to make stubs we should at least put in the basic details of the show so people aren't following links to shows and finding themselves with no info and a picture of Musashi staring at them. :v:

This, to me at least, looks like a basic Stub article. It's got all the neccessary info for someone looking to find out what the series is about, and all it needs adding is opinions, an expanded description and external links, both of which can be added by someone who's seen/likes the show.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking a stub was, but I think XboxPants made a blank template page for every series he linked to. Last night, I was going to try to go through them and put in at least a picture and genre list for the shows I know about, but didn't get a chance to do so.

Dan a man fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 5, 2007

Big Big Moon
Sep 2, 2006

In other regions and restaurants it is mispronounced as General Tsao's, General Zhou's, General Tzo's, General So's, General Joe's,

Big Big Moon fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 25, 2007

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

I think we need to set a limit as to how many episodes you can give details out about. Either a percentage or a strict number. I would think this limit would be 3 or 8%, unless it's an ongoing Shounen Jump series, because that's everyone's typical test period, unless there's a series that takes longer to pick up (Haruhi, Nanoha, Eureka seveN) or just make a note that it doesn't really pick up until episode X if you're going to take it that far. Sure, better judgment should have this covered but I was all ready to start an article before I realized that I didn't know how much of the plot I could cover.

We could take the short summary off the box or whatever if it's licensed but the main summary is my problem.

Not_Log fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 5, 2007

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
:havlat:https://www.adtrwiki.com:havlat:

We now have a shiny new URL thanks to Nulani, who also lent us our webspace gratis. Thanks Nul!

:nyoron::hf::hr:

Big Big Moon
Sep 2, 2006

In other regions and restaurants it is mispronounced as General Tsao's, General Zhou's, General Tzo's, General So's, General Joe's,

Big Big Moon fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 25, 2007

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Well I suppose I can just write whatever and let the editors handle it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Honestly I have to agree with BBM here. The Big O page is awesome and exactly the kind of article that gives a viewer a lot of information about the show without actually revealing anything that might ruin enjoyment of it (needs more Personal Opinion though :v:). I think we can all look at a page and see whether or not it is being spoiled overmuch.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Pierson posted:

Yeah, sorry, I was being a little bit lazy. This is what I was going off of:

Pierson posted:

I think what would also help is if there were also Incomplete-style entries for those shows currently linked to via 'if you like this'. Less dead links is always a good thing. :)

Judging by the activity the last two days, my reckless hack-job is doing pretty well at stimulating the site. "Just as planned." as they say. Thanks for covering my rear end, goons :awesome:

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

XboxPants posted:

Judging by the activity the last two days, my reckless hack-job is doing pretty well at stimulating the site. "Just as planned." as they say. Thanks for covering my rear end, goons :awesome:

The level of activity is finally decent now, i added some stuff here and there too. We should get more people writing opinions, since some pages dont have them at all, and some have just one, whitch doesnt help getting a more objective outlook on a series much. Of course im not trying to encourage spamming, but if you see a series you watched with zero or one entries in the Personal Opinions section, writing up a few sentences about how you felt about it would be appretiated.

:edit:

Short outline should really be kept within around one or two sentences, without introducing any characters or plot. Some of the stuff in the "sum up an anime with a couple sentences or less" thread are great examples of what i'm talking about - one liners that tell next to nothing but make you want to check out whats it all about.

Totalizator fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 7, 2007

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Sent you a PM, Pierson, I somehow forgot my password. How? I have no idea.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
Time for a really stupid question. How do I add a page for an anime series? I have never worked on a wiki and know quite a few good animes that haven't made the list yet and just want to contribute a bit.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kizurue posted:

Time for a really stupid question. How do I add a page for an anime series? I have never worked on a wiki and know quite a few good animes that haven't made the list yet and just want to contribute a bit.
Run a search for the series you wish to add; when the search comes back with a page saying it couldn't find it, it gives you the option of creating the page. Then you could use the formats in other pages and/or the template, and just copy/paste it into your page and edit in the necessary new information.

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

e:f;b

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
e;fb

Totalizator fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 9, 2007

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Well since i'm posting anyway i suggest the Elfen Lied template, im using it ever since the first page i created because it was the easiest one to edit i found at the time.

/\/\/\/\/\
quote != edit :bang:
\/\/\/\/\/

Totalizator fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 10, 2007

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
quote != edit

somehow, twice :psyduck:

Totalizator fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 9, 2007

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kizurue posted:

Nate RFB posted:

Run a search for the series you wish to add; when the search comes back with a page saying it couldn't find it, it gives you the option of creating the page. Then you could use the formats in other pages and/or the template, and just copy/paste it into your page and edit in the necessary new information.
Or you can make a reference to it in the similar anime section of another series, click on it, and find yourself on a black page, and you're off!

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Signed up as Revolver Bunker. Hope I can help out in some way or form.

Digital Fiction
Jun 17, 2004

Huh?
I signed up as Digital Fiction, I don't know if I can contribute much, but I'll do what I can.

twofish
Apr 17, 2006

Not to rock anybody's boat, but it seems to me that the "Main Description" portion of most articles is largely overlooked. I'm starting to think it isn't necessary, or that nobody is going to do them. If the primary purpose of the wiki is to help people decide what is right for them and provide insightful reiveiws, is it really necessary to go beyond a "Short Outline"? We aren't trying to be a lovely knockoff of ANN's encyclopedia. Just a thought...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Hexinet posted:

Not to rock anybody's boat, but it seems to me that the "Main Description" portion of most articles is largely overlooked. I'm starting to think it isn't necessary, or that nobody is going to do them. If the primary purpose of the wiki is to help people decide what is right for them and provide insightful reiveiws, is it really necessary to go beyond a "Short Outline"? We aren't trying to be a lovely knockoff of ANN's encyclopedia. Just a thought...
There's been arguments on the other side; that the Short Outline isn't necessary and only the Main Description should be there. Personally I feel, at the very least, the Main Description is necessary. The problem is trying to get the right length for it. If the article contained only Short Outline, If You Liked This, and Opinion sections, it's quite likely in my mind that the bulk of what the show is about might be lost on the reader. In that case I guess one would simply make the Short Outline bigger, but then at what point does it become a Description?

I guess, again, it's up to whomever is writing the entries though. I've always kind of felt the Main Description is important in setting the context for the recommendations, and the Short Outline is pretty much the tl;dr version of that.

• Locked thread