Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Dear Aunt, lets set so double the killer delete select all.

I was thinking this was to be a one-stop for all your anime needs (god that sounds retarded) so we wouldn't NEED to go to ANN/AniDB/Wikipeida to get a taste of a show.

Totalizator posted:

Short outline should really be kept within around one or two sentences, without introducing any characters or plot. Some of the stuff in the "sum up an anime with a couple sentences or less" thread are great examples of what i'm talking about - one liners that tell next to nothing but make you want to check out whats it all about.

is actually the perfect way to put it, why we need a both sections.

I actually just wanted to note that we need to word things carefully so they don't sound like opinions, this line in the Gunslinger Girl page should be worded different:

quote:

This is also a good pick for gun affectionados because the ontological accuracy of the weapons is very high.

it sounds like an opinion.

"Gun affectionados like this because the ontological accuracy of the weapons is very high"

I only bother to post because my account may need to be remade if Pierson can't get the account moderation plugin to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan a man
Dec 27, 2004

If there's really so many people in the world, there had to be someone who wasn't ordinary, someone who was living an interesting life. But why wasn't I that ChuChu?
Can someone with privileges to edit the main page put in a link to the Stubs category? And maybe just a little explanation of how we'd like to get them all filled in. The amount of articles in that category is every so slowly going down, so maybe a front page reminder might speed it up a bit... I don't know.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Not_Log posted:

I was thinking this was to be a one-stop for all your anime needs (god that sounds retarded) so we wouldn't NEED to go to ANN/AniDB/Wikipeida to get a taste of a show.
No, the purpose of the wiki wasn't to somehow make an ADTRW version of those places. It was just to post the shows that we feel are worth watching, and replace the old recommendation thread. If we use the mindset of "making the next ANN" it'll just turn into having every show eventually making into the wiki, defeating its purpose, as well as making each entry being overloaded with unnecessary information. The entries should be able to 1). Give the reader an idea of what the show is like, 2). Give a reason why they should watch it and 3). sound off other shows they might like if they liked this as well.

However, the points about "Short Outline = sum up an anime in a sentence thread" I completely agree with. I think the Short Outline should be no longer than a sentence or two, not contain any character names or specific plot points. And yeah, we should try to keep opinions out of the Main Descriptions.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nate RFB posted:

No, the purpose of the wiki wasn't to somehow make an ADTRW version of those places. It was just to post the shows that we feel are worth watching, and replace the old recommendation thread. If we use the mindset of "making the next ANN" it'll just turn into having every show eventually making into the wiki, defeating its purpose, as well as making each entry being overloaded with unnecessary information. The entries should be able to 1). Give the reader an idea of what the show is like, 2). Give a reason why they should watch it and 3). sound off other shows they might like if they liked this as well.

In the form it is now the wiki does pretty much cover a lot of the stuff ANN and regular Wikipedia does. The only way to solve this, if any, would be cutting the infobox, because stuff in it is usually copied directly from those other sites, and isn't really relevant for recomendation purpouses (and if it for some reason is it should be included in Personal Opinions or Main Description).

On the other hand it looks nice and filling it up takes only a few minutes so i don't think its actually a problem to anyone.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like the infobox info, I think it's helpful to at least have a common place for stuff like number of episodes, format, Director/Artist, etc. As long as it's not any longer than it is I don't think it clutters the entries too much.

I think what's important is just that we have the correct mindset. You should write the entry with the one goal of "If someone reads, they'll want to watch the show." Any info that's included is just to help this out :shobon:

twofish
Apr 17, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

There's been arguments on the other side; that the Short Outline isn't necessary and only the Main Description should be there. Personally I feel, at the very least, the Main Description is necessary. The problem is trying to get the right length for it. If the article contained only Short Outline, If You Liked This, and Opinion sections, it's quite likely in my mind that the bulk of what the show is about might be lost on the reader. In that case I guess one would simply make the Short Outline bigger, but then at what point does it become a Description?

I guess, again, it's up to whomever is writing the entries though. I've always kind of felt the Main Description is important in setting the context for the recommendations, and the Short Outline is pretty much the tl;dr version of that.

Yea that works too. Either way, I don't think two "descriptions" are necessary. A lot of pages just have one or the other portion filled out, and that tells me that other people feel that way too. (Or they just don't want to make the :effort: , which is more likely, but the same in the end if you ask me)

edit

Not_Log posted:

it sounds like an opinion.

"Gun affectionados like this because the ontological accuracy of the weapons is very high"

I only bother to post because my account may need to be remade if Pierson can't get the account moderation plugin to work.

True. I wrote the article, so I'll just move that down under my opinion heading.

twofish fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 11, 2007

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

I'm going to post a warning here for those of you who watch the Recent Changes page. I'm going to fill in the "# of episodes" and put a link to the official page(s) for all the series with nothing but a template because I'm bored and I need something to do while I wait for downloads to finish. All of it will be marked as minor edits and it's going to spam the Recent Changes page like nothing you've ever seen.

Big Big Moon
Sep 2, 2006

In other regions and restaurants it is mispronounced as General Tsao's, General Zhou's, General Tzo's, General So's, General Joe's,

Big Big Moon fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 25, 2007

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Oh, that life
We may want to do something about our two seperate "category" listings. I just added "Steampunk" under general as I was doing Last Exile (please don't hurt me), but I noticed there's that other "anime specific" category with a few terms I am not familiar with.

Maybe give the "Anime Specific" category pages descriptions?

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

All done. Tomorrow I'll take the old reccomendations thread and throw those into the short outlines for stubs.

araeris posted:

We may want to do something about our two seperate "category" listings. I just added "Steampunk" under general as I was doing Last Exile (please don't hurt me), but I noticed there's that other "anime specific" category with a few terms I am not familiar with.

You can always check Wikipeida for any wierd term you don't recognize (though I think Josei is overly-specific and probably won't ever have any entries.)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

araeris posted:

I really don't think we need further anime categories. Adding "steampunk" in my opinion is far too specific, and honestly would only serve to clutter the categories and would only have a handful of shows make it in. Hell we might as well add Cyberpunk if we go down this route.

Also I still notice that Seinen through Yaoi are still up as categories, and I really, REALLY want to know the compelling arguments for keeping them. Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome are really not Yuri shows, and Seinen is way too non-specific (hey it's like the opposite of my Steampunk stance).

However, adding descriptions for the anime-specific categories sounds like a good idea.

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

Also I still notice that Seinen through Yaoi are still up as categories, and I really, REALLY want to know the compelling arguments for keeping them. Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome are really not Yuri shows, and Seinen is way too non-specific (hey it's like the opposite of my Steampunk stance).

I think Shounen and Seinen should only be used (like I said before) as locators for other things derived from Shounen and Seinen manga. Why the hell we even have Kodomo as a category I have no idea, I would hope we aren't going to reccomend anyone children's anime but I have no idea what other people are going to reccomend. Josei is an ackward category too, Looking at the examples on Wikipedia it's pretty rare and not anything anyone here would come looking for, really.

Not_Log fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 12, 2007

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Are we basically saying that Seinen = Grown up anime for boys, and Kodomo = anime for children? Because, honestly, that's pretty silly. How do you quantify something like that? The use of Shounen is also not really being used for its literal definition here, at least I wasn't intending it to be. There needs to be some category for Shounen Jump stuff like Naruto/One Piece/Hajime no Ippo/etc. That's why, in this case, I don't think Seinen really works as a means to differentiate between itself and Shounen.

I don't want to be "Bah I'll just go and delete these" or anything, so I really want to get a feel for whether they're necessary or not. As of now I can't see any reason to keep any of Seinen through Yaoi.

I better start working on some of those stubs though, so here's Houshin Engi.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nate RFB posted:

The only argument i have for keeping them is that if anyone will ever feel the urge to classify their favourite show as seinen the category will already be up there for him. Mai-Hime and Otome got their category via vox populi, because all i ever get when looking up these shows in google is three million yuri blogs.

Nate RFB posted:

However, adding descriptions for the anime-specific categories sounds like a good idea.

Seconding this, i'm not enough of a japanophile to actually do this (i never even heard of Seinen or Josei before this discussion started). I think this is the only way to make those categories work as they're supposed to in terms of properly assigning shows to them and using them to find stuff.

:edit:

Shortly speaking: Kodomo, Josei and Seinen should go. Yuri and Yaoi can go as well, however i'd personally keep them because i tend to enjoy the former while trying to avoid the latter, and there are certainly people who will look at this the other way around. The definitions of both of these categories should be as broad as possible though.

Totalizator fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 12, 2007

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Is the wiki article wrong then?

Wikipedia posted:

Kodomo (子供) is a Japanese word that means child. However, to many non-Japanese readers of manga and anime, the word refers to a specific genre intended primarily for children. Examples of works in the genre include Doraemon, a story about a boy and his cat-like robot; and Hamtaro, about a group of hamsters and their owners, Ojamajo Doremi, Pretty Cure, Onegai My Melody, and other mahou shoujo. The target audience is appropriated to the anime/manga.

sure I over-simplified the defintion but I still stand that it will be used so rarely we won't need it at all.

Seinen has like 100 examples probably more. Then again High School Girls and Chobits were serialized in seinen manga so I guess it is pretty worthless and over-generalized. I don't really care either way, I was just trying to justify someone else's choice.

Nodame is actually one of those few Josei.

edit: I notice that I argue with Nate a lot. like half my posts in this thread are me arguing with Nate, I'll try to stop that.

Not_Log fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 12, 2007

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Whatever makes it easier for us I guess. IMO, such categories at this point add more clutter and confusion than help people pinpoint shows with similar themes and/or styles.

Totalizator posted:

The only argument i have for keeping them is that if anyone will ever feel the urge to classify their favourite show as seinen the category will already be up there for him. Mai-Hime and Otome got their category via vox populi, because all i ever get when looking up these shows in google is three million yuri blogs.
I guess it just bugs me that both HiME and Otome, while certainly having a few lesbian overtones, are a far cry from full blown Yuri shows. It's like, Nodame Cantabile has a gay male character...does that mean I have to include it the Yaoi category? Yaoi and Yuri should really be viewed as opposite sides of the same coin, so if one isn't included I don't think the other should be.

It's not like we can't bring them back later. I think for now we can make things easier for ourselves and simplify the category list, and add descriptions to the anime specific ones.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah I'm on Nate's side on this one. Really, what we had covered pretty much the entirety of what's up so far (and remember we don't actually have as many pages as we think we do, most of them are just templates and links). We can always edit them back in but right now they're just adding more dead pages to a wiki already cluttered with them.

NegativeZero
Jun 21, 2004

by The Finn
I should have signed up for this a while back, it would give me something to do while slacking off at work. :)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The categories have been trimmed (and Psychological was moved), but I left Steampunk in for now just because. However, we still could use some snazzy descriptions for the categories. I put in some hilarious place holders for now.

Dan a man
Dec 27, 2004

If there's really so many people in the world, there had to be someone who wasn't ordinary, someone who was living an interesting life. But why wasn't I that ChuChu?
That makes more sense. When I made the Psychological category I wasn't even sure if we were going to end up keeping it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Shorter Outline for Big Big Moon's G-Gundam page is awesome, I'd love to have others like that.

Idea: What if we really just did have it called "Sum It Up In One Sentence" instead of "Short Outline" to really get the point across?

TwoPly
Jul 10, 2001
Back in action.

Nate RFB posted:

The categories have been trimmed (and Psychological was moved), but I left Steampunk in for now just because. However, we still could use some snazzy descriptions for the categories. I put in some hilarious place holders for now.

Wait, what? Psychological goes but steampunk stays? I just wrote the Paranoia Agent entry the other day, and I think Psychological was the category to which that show most clearly belongs. Plus, there's plenty of other shows for which that category is telling, like Lain, Boogipop Phantom, and RahXephon. How many Steampunk anime are there?

I think both categories should stay, though. I think smaller genres are actually more useful than larger ones. If someone digs Naruto, I really doubt the list of 20 other Shounen shows is going to help them all that much. However, with a small category like Steampunk, you can be pretty sure that if a you really like one category member, the few other members are definitely worth looking into.

In short, I think smaller genres = more narrow field of recommendation = more useful.

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

I think our main problem right now is content not filing things by category, once we have content we can worry about categorizing everything.

Dan a man
Dec 27, 2004

TwoPly posted:

Wait, what? Psychological goes but steampunk stays?
Don't worry, psychological is still there. It's just now listed as a general genre as opposed to an anime specific genre. It doesn't really make any difference besides how the category page is organized.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

Idea: What if we really just did have it called "Sum It Up In One Sentence" instead of "Short Outline" to really get the point across?
That's a much better idea, I'll get on that right now, I have some spare time this morning.

edit; and done. My copy-paste no jutsu cannot be defeated. :colbert:

Pierson fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 13, 2007

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Not_Log posted:

I think our main problem right now is content not filing things by category, once we have content we can worry about categorizing everything.
Agreed. We should like go through the stubs tackling one field at a time. Like one person could quickly go through and fix the "Template" titles above each picture. Someone could grab as many images for each entry and upload them. Perhaps place in the Director's or Artist's name(s). It's going to mess with the Recent Changes quite a bit but that's something we have to deal with.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Oh, that life
Steampunk got thrown on after I had my first draft of the Last Exile page in preview. My categories for it were "Scifi" and "drama", which left me wanting a more descriptive category, and Steampunk seemed like a pretty safe bet.

Not so safe bet: a category to identify shows which are closely based on classic stories, as opposed to something based on a manga or original idea. Ex: Gankutsuou.

Otherwise, we just need more content. Gonna go work on some stuff.

edit:put in a "sum it up in a sentence" for a couple series and fixed the title in the info box.

Major Operation fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 14, 2007

Sevyplates
Jan 7, 2006

This seems really neat, in as Sevyplates

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Now that Kanon 2006 is over I'll gladly write a basic article for it if you approve me. In as Liquid Penguins

Dan a man
Dec 27, 2004

Liquid Penguins posted:

Now that Kanon 2006 is over I'll gladly write a basic article for it if you approve me. In as Liquid Penguins
Cool, because the Main Description that is there now was originally intended to be the Short Outline until that section was restricted to one sentence only. So it's a good start but needs a little work.

On an unrelated note, I almost changed GITS:SAC, from a stub to a regular article, but I figured I'd ask here before I do it, because it looks done to me, but I wasn't the one who worked on it. So I'm not sure if it actually does need more attention.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I made a minor edit to the infobox for it; otherwise it looks fine. I took the liberty to remove it as a stub.

I also finished the Mushishi entry.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Dan a man posted:

On an unrelated note, I almost changed GITS:SAC, from a stub to a regular article, but I figured I'd ask here before I do it, because it looks done to me, but I wasn't the one who worked on it. So I'm not sure if it actually does need more attention.
An article is pretty much 'done' as soon as it has entries for everything except Opinions (which we can't really force people to give), so yeah go ahead and remove 'em if it has everything else.

Dan a man
Dec 27, 2004

I completed the Akira article and created one for Petopeto-san.

Things seem to have slowed down again. :( Do you think an ad would help? I'd like to think that fellow goons just don't know about this rather than think that they're all just apathetic. :nyoron:

I don't really have the skills to make a funny ad, but I do have the cash to buy one. I quickly put one together that has what I think are the essentials: a flashy image, a message saying what the wiki has to offer, and a message saying that we need more people to help out with content.

If anyone can improve it or come up with something better I'd be glad to purchase it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dan a man fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 22, 2007

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The thing is though, this wiki is meant to be a representation of ADTRW, yes? By definition, I think ADTRWers are getting "advertised to" by the sheer fact that this is stickied on the top of the forum. Having people outside of ADTRW come in who wouldn't normally give a poo poo about anime honestly might not be as helpful as you'd think. But if someone were to buy the banner, it's not like it'd hurt the cause or anything.

There are 92 users (take a few off for some being bots or unapproved users); I'd like to think that's plenty to finish off the stubs that we have.

I think the best way to go about finishing the stubs is to divide the tasks up. It'd be hard to organize honestly, but if one person were to go through 5 or 6 stubs and just finish off the infobox stuff, that in of itself would be great. Because the more people that get involved in doing the little things, the quicker things get done as a whole.

Dan a man
Dec 27, 2004

Yeah I see what you're saying. I was hoping maybe there are people who once visited ADTRW but fell out of the habit. And we'd ummm... inspire them to come back and help. :( I think I can just be overly optimistic sometimes.

Not_Log
Mar 24, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

I think the best way to go about finishing the stubs is to divide the tasks up. It'd be hard to organize honestly, but if one person were to go through 5 or 6 stubs and just finish off the infobox stuff, that in of itself would be great. Because the more people that get involved in doing the little things, the quicker things get done as a whole.

I'll do the infoboxes sans the images.

Dan a man
Dec 27, 2004

You can't buy adbot ads anymore can you? That'd be a cheaper and more targeted way to let people know about things like this. Like now we'd could have a message about filling in the info for all the pages that Xboxpants made. And then later on in the year we could have one asking people to add the spring shows that just ended.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

I signed up as Cryingscarf.

Big Big Moon
Sep 2, 2006

In other regions and restaurants it is mispronounced as General Tsao's, General Zhou's, General Tzo's, General So's, General Joe's,

Big Big Moon fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 25, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Just registered as zeldadude.

• Locked thread