Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
In as Zorak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Embedded_Image posted:

"Burning Passion"

Falls into Mecha, Shounen Fighting, and such.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dan a man posted:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what exactly constitutes a fantasy anime? Does it just mean that magic and supernatural stuff is going on?

What constitutes fantasy fiction period?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_fiction

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
TIME PARADOX

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Is it possible we could port the ADTRW FAQ over from Raspberry Heaven and update it a bit? I'm sure you guys could do it collaborative wise pretty easily, I'm not very good at the whole Wiki thing personally! Get some activity going in this thread, anyway. Here's the old one. Some of it is pretty terrible/ filled of remnants of information from the pretty creepy days of ADTRW.

I'll consider giving titles to people who help transition it, of course. I'm considering incentives in general for updating the wiki, so if you've been holding off updating something due to :effort:, consider doing so, since it might benefit you in the long run while also supporting series you like!

And Pierson: let me know if you need a forum upgrade or a custom title of some kind or something, I appreciate your continued hosting of the wiki!

e: Unstickying it since ironically it's probably the best way to get attention to this :v:

DOUBLE EDIT: please no in-jokes either!

Zorak fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 20, 2009

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Rommelous posted:

Holy wow the technical page is awful. That really needs fixing, it's almost like this is 3 years ago or something. There aren't any restrictions on signing up to help out, are there? I'm in for some things if not.

Just sign up on the wiki and post in this thread asking for confirmation, and someone will get around to that!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
A lot of articles were neglected in terms of putting them in the proper categories, making it so they can't be found in the All Pages listing/ genre listing. If you see a page without categories, it'd be cool to put the proper ones in!

I managed to use what meager understanding I have of wiki to edit the FAQ a little myself. Need definitely something put into the "ADTRW Questions" section, except nobody tends to ask me questions so maybe it doesn't really have a point? I dunno!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

I'm pretty sure most people were introduced to anime by DBZ or Pokemon or some poo poo.

I think they're saying less an informal introduction but "how can we FORMALLY introduce you to anime", eg, if you post here, and you've never watched anime before, here's what to watch.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

doomisland posted:

Moe is something felt from the heart. Just because something is moe doesn't mean someone wants to have sex with it.

A lot of moe fans don't know the difference!

Regardless, SpaceDrake: Dude, seriously, you added a ton of :words: that really explain nothing that anyone cares about a lot in there. The Q&A is supposed to be concise and to the point, I think!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

Man now even Zorak is yelling at me :saddowns:

I'll knock it off since I tend to :words: a lot. I did rearrange the FAQ a little though so that the topics segue a little more cleanly (anime, ADTRW and Japan culture are together-ish now, and bootlegs, fansubs and tech questions all come after now), so I hope that's preserved at least.

You did some good stuff, certainly, but there's definitely a lot more excess stuff/ overly abrasive stuff then is really necessary. Thanks for your help regardless!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Kweh posted:

It was crazy enough to work.

I'd need like 10 stickies and to constantly switch them out to get people to read the drat things.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Nice work on the FAQ guys, I appreciate the work! The FAQ still needs updating in the tech/ IRC/ ADTRW questions section, but all in all, it's better then the old one was, to say the least.

I've decided how I'm going to handle SPECIAL REWARDS: Basically, every few weeks I'm going to randomly select a page from the ADTRWiki; then, I'll look at its contributor list, copy the list of contributors/ editors for it in its history (after checking to see if they actually contributed, of course), and then I'll user a randomizer to select one of the names. The person I select will recieve a free custom title of their choice! Cool huh?

:siren: So the more you contribute (by doing pretty much the stuff you're doing in the recommendation threads anyway, just less often), the better chances you have for titles! Sometimes I might hand out upgrades too, who knows? :siren:

A lot of entries really need reviews/ to be added in general. So sad :(

Zorak fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 22, 2009

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The King of Permabanned Lurkers, Tenement Funster (praise be his name) wants account confirmation so he can preach the virtues of Macross :tf:

His account is "TenementFunster". Please treat him gently.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
http://adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=Norio_Wakamoto

:c00l:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Rommelous posted:

Is it bad that this video is the first thing that comes up in youtube when you search Norio Wakamoto?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn9W87eDAac

I don't know what to say honestly.

Norio takes what money he'll get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lzG9MnkVlA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB6o6FAgVyI

Zorak fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 23, 2009

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

m2pt5 posted:

I'm looking at some of these "Norio Wakamoto" videos on Youtube, and I can only think it's one of two things - either he really gets around, or someone made a speech synthesizer with his voice.

There are some "imitators" which you should be able to tell the difference by how the voice actually sounds. Otherwise yeah, he DOES do a lot of random stuff.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Pierson posted:

Guidelines
  • :siren:You must be approved to do basically anything that isn't looking at pages.:siren: Post in this thread so Nate RFB or I can approve you and you can start making and editing.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Seven days to contribute to up your chances of winning! I'll probably do this monthly, as a note.

Can someone add a page for Akumetsu? I'm not good at the page adding stuff :(

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The monthly "contributed to wiki" drawing thing resulted in NateRFB being selected for NEW AVATAR, randomly selected for his contribution (specifically, edits to the Eureka Seven page, if you're curious how the randomization turned out).

NateRFB, feel free to PM/ IM me about your new title when you want it!

I'm going to start doing this monthly, so contribute to the wiki by March 6th to increase your chances to win!

e: also, what should i change the thread title to tell people to watch now hmmmm

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

m2pt5 posted:

The ADTRWiki: Contribute to the Wiki by FEBRUARY MARCH SIXTH for a chance to WIN FABULOUSLY

Ehh, getting kind of tired of that title

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
If you guys haven't guessed there's no drawing this month since hardly anyone contributed anything new WAY TO GO GUYS (appreciate those that did, though, and of course every contribution helps your chances towards when we do it again).

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Relin posted:

Is this thread title a reference to Law of Ueki by any chance...?

It was a DBZ joke actually

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Mr VacBob posted:

Like what?

And what does this have to do with this thread anyway...

It started because the FAQ has a long diatribe about recommended players or something. But really, it's not like the thread really has much going on in it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

I AM ERROR posted:

In as 'I AM ERROR'. Visual novels are fair game too, right?

As long as you create correct categories and list them right, yes.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

JimBobDole posted:

Also, is there a way to provide the link to the archived/current discussion thread on the series page?

There's a link section on the bottom of most entries; many have links to ADTRW threads relating to the topic. If you wish to add ones, please feel free!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I noticed someone created a user page for themselves, can that be against the rules? It doesn't really improve the wiki, and I've seen such a thing used badly on other wiki sites.

There already exists some default userpages, they don't show up on the indexes or anything.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Is it just me or are some of the pages labeled as stubs not really such? FMP Fumoffu doesn't really have any personal opinions and Tylor had Character Descriptions in place of a Summary, but they're still pretty much intact.

Some pages got updated but people forgot to remove the stub label.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3309064

Discussing stuff for a "new to anime? check out these" page, help contribute here

also Pierson: is there a way to fix the ADTRWiki post in the OP?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Keyboard Kid posted:

I might work through some reviews and make some pages, and I was just checking out a lot of the articles. Some have character bios with pictures. I guess it doesn't really matter much, but should we be concerned with getting rid of those? It's not the point of the Wiki, and anyone could go elsewhere for that sort of info.

If they have them, don't remove them. They're easily ignored.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Jervas Dudley posted:

Would it be appropriate to add a page specifically for bad or mediocre series? Just so that there's some note for "Anime Wherein the Male Hero Deals with the Romantic Advances of a Diverse Group of Women; Containing: One Who Appears to be Underage, But is Revealed in Supplemental Materials to Not Be, and At Least Two Who's Breasts Are Anatomically Impossible, at Least One Scene of Completely Gratuitous Fanservice and Two Wacky Misunderstandings Per Three Episodes..." Even if it is as simple as "Boring generic moe/shounen bullshit, don't bother" or "Probably illegal in some countries." For example Strike Witches has it's own page right now that could be collapsed into a "poo poo not to bother with" page with things like Queen's Blade.

That's why we have reviews and summaries. No need to overly complicate things; that's why we have ADTRWiki instead of something else.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Jervas Dudley posted:

Maybe a page for new stuff would be better, since how long a series runs for is up in the air and some things might deserve a look, but not be worth their own page. If it was trimmed every season or so it could be useful.

I'm just throwing poo poo out there since I'm not really able to help with filling out pages, but I'd still like to help.

Ehh, it seems unnecessary still. We do have reviews for terrible shows on there already (considering talking to Pierson about just getting them deleted) and personally, I'd prefer just pretending the terrible poo poo doesn't exist on the wiki, but that's just me.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Moeru posted:

With the risk of sounding overly goony and OCD, a set template for each entry would make for easier reading. Cleaning up any that deviate would only help.

I may or may not organize everything I own like this

There's only two or three that deviate, there's no need to get anal about random outliers.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Note to self/ anyone else that feels like making them: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3317661 this stuff needs to be ported over.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Neito posted:

What about non-Japanese comics that manga/anime fans tend to like, or may like? Could we do a page for each, or at least a giant page of "Comics Manga fans like"?

This is ADTRWiki, not "general things you might like wiki". Just because I think MSPA owns hard, it doesn't mean I should be shoehorning it into anime-related conversation.

jonjonaug posted:

Seconding this question. Also asking the same question myself but replace "toku shows" with "visual novels". Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime, and Ever17 are all already on there but F/SN and Tsukihime both have anime versions and Ever17 has had at least three different LP attempts on SA along with being the most popular English VN after F/SN I'm not sure about this.

IDK, up to Pierson and gang.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
You know, I really do wonder about the taste of some of the people in ADTRW.

"Why yes, terrible generic fanservice romance shows are phenomenal, and belong on are wiki"

People really do seem to like missing these bits:

Pierson posted:

It's a repository of the good shows we've watched over the years and has opinions, links where you can find more information, and opinions of SA members of the shows they've watched.

• This isn't meant to be a comprehensible encyclopedia of 90% crap and 10% good shows. We want writeups and (most importantly) opinions on series that people have enjoyed and/or think others would enjoy, not all the crap harem shows we've subjected ourselves to over the years.

I'm more than willing to admit that my tastes aren't the same as everyone's, certainly, so am I right in thinking that some people are kind of missing the point going "Yes, generic show #1342 had some amusing bits, i should totally add it to ADTRWiki"?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Kleptobot posted:

Zorak, you said in the end of the spring thread that if there was a show we liked in the season to consider adding it to the wiki. My bad, I didn't realize there was some sort of popularity threshold the series had to meet before it could be posted in the wiki. I didn't think that series was "generic" at all, but I guess my tastes are different than yours.

It's less a popularity threshold and more... I dunno, some level of quality standards? Like I'm sure there are some people who thought Eiken was the greatest thing in the universe ever, but I'd certainly hope they wouldn't try putting it on the wiki!

But ultimately I was just voicing my opinion here; I'm not the one who makes the decision about ADTRWiki content, that's Pierson. He can certainly go "good enough", hence why I made that post an inquisitive one!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3274092

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Thoren posted:

I'm looking for some loner-type anime/manga. Something like Onani Master Kurosawa but without the gimmick perhaps. Or with a gimmick, I don't care.

This isn't the thread for that.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3274092

You CAN use the wiki to find recommendations, but this isn't the recommendation thread.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

TannhauserGate posted:

Ah. That works. I mean I realize it's a spergy review, but I really do hate Zeta, so I'm standing by my words.

Your review IS pretty loving retarded, I must say. Regardless of how you felt about the series, you point out

1. A character in Gundam has a silly name!
2. Char asks a question once about him true identity -once-, it's just one oft quoted by fans!
3. Kamille does ITS A MAN'S NAME thing something like -twice-, and it's only his "battlecry" in a video game, when you select him as a character.
4. Engrish on a sign? OH NO

It's the most inane review I've ever read. It's like talking about how you don't like some movie by M. Night Shamylan then spending the review talking about how ridiculous his name is, or how his use of celtic loan words isn't very accurate or something. It's beside the point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

TannhauserGate posted:

1) His name is Vagina. I'm a reasonable person, but come on.
2) Pretty sure he has a similar moment with Emma as well, with different wording. And the loveletters to (Hayato?). And Amuro's brilliant reveal. It was a dumb reveal every single time.
3) Kamille whines about everything. Maybe if the show didn't start out convincing you what a horrible brat he is, the rest of the show wouldn't feel like variations of a theme. His battle power is hotblood and his hotblood is a result of friction from sand stuck in his Quattro. "Kamille is a man's name!" holds in spirit.
4) It's a show all about mechanical details and intricate plots, with DANGAR in gigantic lettering. That's off-putting, although it is indeed sort of common.

If you'd prefer, I could make a whole review about how the plot is retarded drivel. That'd probably get picked apart just as readily, and we'd be right back here again.

tl;dr- I agree wholeheartedly that my writing sucks rear end, but I stand by the content of my review.

1) Gundam people have weird names. His name is "Bajeena", so whatever!
2) TWO TIMES! my god
3) He is hosed over repeatedly, he has reason to whine! The whole point is he's one of the few protagonists in a thing like this written like a real person. You don't think getting your family murdered infront of you and then having a bunch of terrorists force you to fight against some KKK-Earth Nazis just "because you have to" is kind of reason to be pissed off? Part of the series is him growing up and realizing why the space terrorist (AEUG) are fighting the KKK-Earth Nazis (because they're douchebags, but he's a kid and why would he have cared about that before?)
4) And? It's so freaking mild and random a reference. BLADERUNNER HAS A MISPLACED PERIOD IN ONE OF THE SIGNS ON SCREEN, EVERYONE SET YOUR DVDS ON FIRE!

Zeta Gundam owns and is written really well, deal with it. You're welcome to have your review on there but it's a really badly written review that says nothing about anything!

• Locked thread