Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I'm there as... you guessed it... XboxPants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

To be honest, I wonder if we even need to have them listed. Afterall, if you're interested in pieces of info like that then ANN would be a better source probably. The purpose of the wiki is more to just get a show's name out there as a recommendation, rather than provide on random info bits into the show. I wonder if, in that sense, we need list stuff like "Director" since that too may have multiple entries.

EDIT: Eh, I like having the Director listed I guess because that way we can also have an "Artist" for manga.

Maybe this can be a case by case basis - when there's a director who's pretty much doing the whole show, like Satoshi Kon or Miyazaki, then you would list a director, but if it's Naruto or something where there's a random director for every episode, that's not very important, and you don't list any director information.

Also, "format" doesn't need to say "anime/manga" on the final page, that's redundant; same thing for "status".

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Magical Girl, Sports, and Fantasy would probably work. I don't think Burning Passion or Mindfuck work because those are more like aspects of shows rather than a genre.

At some point we'll probably ask people to use one of the categories in some rules list or something. There's no harm in people including more genre's or categories, but they just won't show up on whatever index page we decide to link these all together with.

How's this:

Drama
Comedy
Sci-Fi
Horror
Romance
Mystery
Sports
Fantasy

Slice of Life
Mecha
Harem
Shounen Fighting
Magical Girl

Any more than that might be pushing it.

I know where you're coming from; the category page would look extremely sloppy if it just listed every sub-category of every niche genre. Then again, if this is primarily an anime recommendation engine, don't you think it would be really helpful for people to just be able to go to a page for a show and find other "mindfuck" or "girls with guns" shows, even if there are only a handful of shows in that category? We could make the more niche genres get listed in that "Anime Specific Genres" section after the main genre list. Or, we could even make those really narrow genres not appear on the main index, and only accessible through searching or through clicking on them from an anime's page. I think it'd be really useful.

On another topic, it seems like pages are being created rather slowly... maybe this site doesn't need to be private? The massive goon prank rush might not be as big as you think, and the ability to edit & create without having to make a post here and wait might be a bigger enticement than you think.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Xboxpants, I liked your infobox class so much from Cromartie that I stole it and used it in my YKK Page.

Thanks, although I honestly just copy+paste'd from the template on the site and edited it a bit!(although it did take a while to figure out exactly how to do that) The "Go Back to Index" internal link does wonders; it was really annoying that I couldn't go back up the category hierarchy, but for some reason it didn't occur to me that this problem could be fixed. Good on you. Also, what's the opinion on redirects? I think they're pretty helpful, and, although they do clutter the "all pages" list, so long as the category index is well made, that page isn't even really needed.

doomisland posted:

Made a Gunbuster page. I'll look over it again when I'm not really tired and correct any mistakes and hopefully expand on it. I guess I'll need to make a Aim for the Top 2 one as well.

Great to hear, and it brings me to another point. I think I'm going to focus on making pages for anime that are linked to as viewing recommendations but don't currently have a page. It would be really fun to get some chains of related shows going.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Golden315 posted:

I'll agree with this. It's handy to keep track of whats new and what's currently being done so I, or others, know what to work on next.

*edit*Plus it actually stopping from stating a bajillion pages and never finishing them. ADD, ho!

I used the hell out of that page. You can just go to special pages-->recent changes (on the sidebar) and still get there, although I really wish it was back, too.

Maybe there should just be an "Original Work" field for the infobox template? That way it would even work for something like fate stay night or Haruhi. I think there was something mentioned about making the infobox more editable; this would be the best option. Right now it's really hard to make up new fields as we need them. It's kind of a struggle between consistancy and accuracy, I suppose.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 21, 2007

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

PrBacterio posted:

Well it's just that I noticed that Pani Poni Dash! was on there which is in exactly the same genre as School Rumble as far as I can tell, but way inferior -- well at least I didn't like it at all.

But about that, I don't really know if I have the confidence to attempt such a thing as I have no idea how to go about it in the first place; I've never really done any editing on Wikipedia either, except for fixing simple spelling or grammar mistakes or reverting vandalism, so I don't have any experience with this kind of Wiki editing. And there's also the whole not being a native speaker of English thing :o:

Um so while I'm on the topic anyway, how DOES one add a new page for a show?

Just search for School Rumble or whatever, and it will say something like "we couldn't find school rumble. you can create this page here" with that being a link. Your English looks perfect from that post, by the way, had no idea you weren't native. Anyway, the way I figure it, the worse you do on the page, the more attention it will attract from people who want to fix it and make it right, possibly even bringing in new people! So, I think making a page, even if it's bad, is a really good idea.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Menacer posted:

Seriously guys, just remember that the primary reason for this wiki is to recommend series to people. If you're trying to make some gigantic conglomoration of pages about all the anime anyone here has seen (whether it sucked or not and whether or not everyone has already seen it) you're just going to end up making a lovely version of the ANN encyclopedia.

The point is to recommend series to people, but I disagree with some of what you're saying. Even if everyone has already seen Cowboy Bebop, I think it's still very useful to have a page for it. The way I imagine this site being used is that you go there, look up an anime you have enjoyed, and follow the recommendations from there. That way, even if the show isn't something you'd generally recommend to people, it still has a place on the site. In fact, the more popular, "everyone has seen it" shows might even be MORE useful to put in, especially if the "You might also like this" pages are also created.

Nate RFB posted:

One thing I do feel is that perhaps some pages are getting a little heavy handed on the description side...in the end, only a paragraph or two should really be necessary. The important information is the opinion of the user and the list of shows to link to in "If You Liked This." On that point, for example, is the Haruhi page too big? Do we really need large introductions for the characters?

Going further, is having the "Short Outline" even necessary at all if it's going to be expanded in the next section? Maybe it would almost be better if we were to adopt the "Sum up an anime in one sentence" concept from that thread.

Maybe you're right. I honestly do feel that, at the absolute max, 1 or 2 paragraphs is the most you really need for the purposes of this show. We don't really need a list of character bios here. Probably, the more concise you can get the info down to, the better; if you can get it to one sentence, awesome, although mandating that might be a little restrictive.

So, what do we really need on an ADTRWiki page? Maybe the recommendations should come even before the short description. The short description is good... but I don't think we need the main outline at all. Go to wikipedia if you want detailed information - maybe a link like that should be on the links at the bottom.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

So, I went into the wiki and clicked Zero no Tsukaima's entry, since I didn't realize it now had one, and the skeleton & stub status really helped encourage me to get a little bit more onto there. I pretty much just put in some recommendations, though. The other skeletons did actually make it really easy to just go through and put some recommendations in, although there were one or two series that I knew that I just did not know anything about, so I couldn't add any for them. If anyone's bored, this is the most important part of the entry, so...

If anyone else is getting stumped about recommendations, two things that helped me out were going to amazon and looking under their "users who bought this also bought this" section for DVDs (or manga I guess) of that show, and also just the top 200 anime list as voted on by users on animenfo - http://www.animenfo.com/statistic/top.php?type=anime, and just looking through that - the more general shows are towards the top, more niche ones towards the bottom.

I also tried, besides putting in shows that are just more of the same, (which is a great thing if you've found what you love!) to put in some matches that are a little more of a stretch, like "Irresponsible Captain Tylor" for One Piece or "Honey & Clover" for Welcome to the N.H.K. to help people move into slightly different types of shows that they might still enjoy. It is "shows you might also like", not "shows that are very similar", after all, and those aren't always the same thing. I also really like adding a few shows into the recommendations that aren't in the wiki yet; I believe this encourages people to add them. I hope neither of these things are problems for anyone.

Speaking of the "you might also like" section, is there a limit to how many shows we should put in there? I was hitting or breaking five shows in couple of the pages, and I did notice that most entries only have three, max. Is too many shows a problem? It seems like more choices would be better, so long as it was under ten, at the most, or so long as they were grouped into certain types ("if you liked the comedy, try these, if you liked the fantasy, try these") or had some description of how they related to the main show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dan a man posted:

Nice job with all the recommendations.

And while we're talking about the recommendation section, I have a question. Maybe we should agree on a standard format. Most pages have a clarification statement above each show. But some have it below. And a some have it to the side.

I did worry a fair deal about this, especially since I was guilty of doing it at least two of these ways. :( I tried to just match whatever was currently on the page, but a standard is much better. I think bulleted lists for recommendations are the best choice, too (done by using a *, like "*[[Pokemon]]"). I'll have to chock up my "to the side" entries just to laziness, and suggest above to be the nicest looking and most effective choice. I'm gonna go ahead and make all the dead recommendation links into stubs now. Then, they'll have articles!

Edit: Should the really empty stubs go in the "all pages" category, or just in "stubs"? People might get annoyed if they go to all pages and a good deal of them are really lacking in content. Then again, that might just annoy them enough to convince them to add some content to those pages. Well, anything wrong I do will surely be fixed by goonWiki magic :v:

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 4, 2007

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Pierson posted:

I would note that most of these are literally the Template copy/pasted onto the page and nothing else. I think if we're going to make stubs we should at least put in the basic details of the show so people aren't following links to shows and finding themselves with no info and a picture of Musashi staring at them. :v:

This, to me at least, looks like a basic Stub article. It's got all the neccessary info for someone looking to find out what the series is about, and all it needs adding is opinions, an expanded description and external links, both of which can be added by someone who's seen/likes the show.

Yeah, sorry, I was being a little bit lazy. This is what I was going off of:

Pierson posted:

I think what would also help is if there were also Incomplete-style entries for those shows currently linked to via 'if you like this'. Less dead links is always a good thing. :)

Judging by the activity the last two days, my reckless hack-job is doing pretty well at stimulating the site. "Just as planned." as they say. Thanks for covering my rear end, goons :awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Kids on the Slope is, I believe, and I've seen Eden of the East referred to there too, dunno if that's accurate, haven't seen the series.

• Locked thread