Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

almightyjimbob
Sep 6, 2004

I love pretzel day.

mrWr0ng posted:

Is there a reason to upgrade? It's working fine for right now, so I'm not sure what the reasoning is.

Do I get any other updates? I'm still using sampletank 1 and reason 2.5 :(

I don't know much about the advantages of 7.1 to 7.3, but I do know that there's a plugin or two that are available on the Digidesign website for free since their inclusion in later versions. The time shift plugin is free, as is Xpand (though I don't remember what versions do or don't have it, you may already).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

almightyjimbob
Sep 6, 2004

I love pretzel day.

WanderingKid posted:

Doubling your sampling rate will halve your latency.

Why is this? I'm trying to wrap my head around this one...

almightyjimbob
Sep 6, 2004

I love pretzel day.

WanderingKid posted:

stuff

I think I sort of understood that. What impact does 16-bit vs. 24-bit have on latency, if any?

almightyjimbob
Sep 6, 2004

I love pretzel day.
I'm trying to figure out if my sustain pedal is a piece of poo poo.

I've been using an M-Audio Keystation 61es to play with various programs on my Intel Mac (Pro Tools and GarageBand specifically). Recently, however, I've been noticing a difficulty with my sustain pedal. It takes lots of effort to get notes to sustain. It's true of all three programs, so I'm almost positive there isn't a sensitivity setting to be changed in the individual programs... but I'm wondering if there's a system-wide setting in the drivers or something. I had one of those square pedals originally, but recently I bought some Yamaha model that looks like a piano pedal, and it has the same problem. Am I just buying poo poo pedals?

EDIT: Also, RivensBitch, since you're talking discounts and all that, would have anything significant on Reason 4, or is the Reason 4 Academic version my best bet?

EDIT 2: Or, well, I just noticed there's a deal to upgrade Reason Adapted to Reason 4 for $239. I figure I probably won't find anything to beat that.

almightyjimbob fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 11, 2007