Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I completely missed the fact that O-Chul was wide awake in the last strip. Hah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Hedgehog King posted:

I realise that alot of people keep an eye on this thread to check for updates, but am I the only one that just checks the website? Of course, to be fair what usually happens is I check his website, it fails to load, and then I come here, as that usally means a new comic is up and one of you fine folks have rehosted it. Then, after the first 24 hours or so of his bandwidith getting hammered, I check it out there so he gets my hit too. Am I the only one that does this? And if I buy extra copies of his books, will this stop?

Nah, I do this too. It's on my list of bookmarks that I check once a day. If it doesn't load I come here, but I check this thread anyway regardless because of my subscription. It's my morning routine!

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

Affi posted:

I completely missed the fact that O-Chul was wide awake in the last strip. Hah.

I noticed he was awake, but was completely caught off guard by him being non-paralyzed.
I forgot those kinds of things wore off.:hurr:

Actually, O-Chul must have a massive amount of hit points. He took close to 100 damage there at least, if my estimates are right (submersion in acid is what, 10d6 per round? Jeez.) And he took a hobbo with him.

LuchadoresDelNixon fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 28, 2008

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

I noticed he was awake, but was completely caught off guard by him being non-paralyzed.

I thought the ability Xykon used was permanent. Of course, he would easily be bale to remove it for his entertainment.

Maldreadior
Mar 26, 2008

Actually, O-Chul must have a massive amount of hit points. He took close to 100 damage there at least, if my estimates are right (submersion in acid is what, 10d6 per round? Jeez.) And he took a hobbo with him.

I love that he was finished off by a Level 0 spell.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A level 10 Paladin would have somewhere between 80 and 100 hit points, assuming they have a decent constitution score.

1d10hp/level, average of 5.5: 55hp
16 CON, giving +3hp/level: 30hp

That's 85hp without trying. Which jives pretty well with the strip.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ConfusedUs posted:

A level 10 Paladin would have somewhere between 80 and 100 hit points, assuming they have a decent constitution score.

1d10hp/level, average of 5.5: 55hp
16 CON, giving +3hp/level: 30hp

That's 85hp without trying. Which jives pretty well with the strip.

In my area most games use the 3/4 HP round down rule as well. Given that he'd have 100 hp if he had a 16 con

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?
New strip is up!

Yes, I am aware how sad it is that I'm checking OOTS at 1 AM Saturday morning.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Here's the strip in the event the site goes down.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Xykon, you've been gone too long. It will be a sad day when the heroes defeat you.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

greatn posted:

In my area most games use the 3/4 HP round down rule as well. Given that he'd have 100 hp if he had a 16 con

NPC's get half hit points every level, including first.

Heroes often get 3/4ths every level and full at first.

Pupienus
Jul 21, 2003

I may be making a mountain out of a molehill here, but something about that first bit of dialogue with the box-monster makes me think it's a hint. Maybe he's a kind of monster that has wish as a racial ability? That'd pretty much be "hoping so hard for something to happen that it actually does", right? maybe it didn't work because he didn't have enough experience to burn, on account of doing nothing but sit around.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Classic Assride posted:

I may be making a mountain out of a molehill here, but something about that first bit of dialogue with the box-monster makes me think it's a hint. Maybe he's a kind of monster that has wish as a racial ability? That'd pretty much be "hoping so hard for something to happen that it actually does", right? maybe it didn't work because he didn't have enough experience to burn, on account of doing nothing but sit around.

Hmm, maybe! Now that I look at it, it seems pretty intent on the idea. It's probably just a throwaway "look at how naive he is" line, but maybe it's a hint.
Some sort of powerful djinn, perhaps?

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Hmm, maybe! Now that I look at it, it seems pretty intent on the idea. It's probably just a throwaway "look at how naive he is" line, but maybe it's a hint.
Some sort of powerful djinn, perhaps?

See, this is why I love being a GM. You toss in a few people who talk about flowers all the time and all your players start thinking that maybe they're hyacinth elementals or something.

And then, just when they're starting to figure out that maybe these people just really love flowers, you throw in a real hyacinth elemental.

Just to gently caress with them.

ZorbaTHut fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 29, 2008

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

NPC's get half hit points every level, including first.

Heroes often get 3/4ths every level and full at first.
O-Chuul could be Miko's player's new character :D

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn
Actually, this campaign is the exact opposite of Monty Haul; I think that all the PCs have less treasure than when they started.

Also, the line about "mostly they just trip and impale each other" reminds me of a Murphy's Rules panel; something like "under the Rolemaster rules, an average battle involving 10,000 first-level warriors will see two thousand of them chop off one or more of their own limbs, and another five hundred will decapitate themselves."

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I like how in the first panel of the second page Jirix is dodging Xykon's touch.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jonked posted:

O-Chuul could be Miko's player's new character :D

Miko was a NPC too.

Pupienus
Jul 21, 2003

I've gotta say, those essays on the site have got a lot of great advice for a novice DM, especially one trying to run his own custom setting as a first campaign. Hopefully I can create a world map that doesn't look like I just puked a bunch of cities and forests onto a blob of land.

Since odds are he's not going to update them any time soon, does anyone have any other sites that offer advice like that? I'm not running a DnD game, so system-neutral advice is preferred, but most of the general techniques are fairly easily adapted.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Classic Assride posted:

I've gotta say, those essays on the site have got a lot of great advice for a novice DM, especially one trying to run his own custom setting as a first campaign. Hopefully I can create a world map that doesn't look like I just puked a bunch of cities and forests onto a blob of land.

Since odds are he's not going to update them any time soon, does anyone have any other sites that offer advice like that? I'm not running a DnD game, so system-neutral advice is preferred, but most of the general techniques are fairly easily adapted.

There was a thread on the Wizards of the Coast's forums by a guy named Oakspar77777 that had some great tips and ideas, as well as a fairly interesting description of incorporating these into an actual game through the two campaigns detailed there.

And a quick rumage found it again.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
I found these articles linked somewhere on the web as well: http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/dnd/dungeoncraft/

Captain Tagon
Jun 15, 2005
Back and to the left.
A new strip.. of sorts.

http://yafgc.shipsinker.com/index.php?strip_id=674

Rich does a guest\aprilfoolsstrip. Guess it would make most sense for those who read that comic too though, like i do. But i thought maybe someone would like to see how he does with different characters. Or something.

Edit:
Err.. maybe i was hasty? It fooled me atleast

Captain Tagon fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 1, 2008

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Someone else imitating Rich, rather than Rich doing work for someone else.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Yet Another Fantasy Gamer Comic is actually surprisingly good, and it's a decent waste of an afternoon to read it from the start.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!
New strip is up!

It looks like there's a load of Azurites on the tower in the background, and given the hundred foot growth thing, I'm willing to bet the next strip will be something like

Redcloak: So tell us what we need to know.
O-Chul: Never!
Redcloak: I'll leave those guys on that tower up there until the rift expands to get them if you don't.
O-Chul: They will go to their respective afterlives so it'll be fine.
Redcloak: Actually if the rift kills them it destroys their souls utterly as well so that's pretty bad :v:
O-Chul: OMG! Ok, I'll talk!

Callin' it now.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I'm feeling a lot of sympathy for O-Chul, here. I wonder where Rich is going with the good will he's building up for this character?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I really like O'Chul and I hope tha the sticks around for a while. He really has gotten a pretty terrible hand so far, but he's badass as hell so I'm counting on him to pull through. Paladins are neat and pretty interesting when they're well written and thought out, as opposed to Lawful Stupid.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wow. For some reason, that rift is really, really unsettling to look at.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MikeJF posted:

It looks like a cross between a vagina and a spider. That's why.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

I am now officially horrified.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

ConfusedUs posted:

The two things GBS fears most

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Ashcans posted:

I really like O'Chul and I hope tha the sticks around for a while. He really has gotten a pretty terrible hand so far, but he's badass as hell so I'm counting on him to pull through. Paladins are neat and pretty interesting when they're well written and thought out, as opposed to Lawful Stupid.

I re-read all the archives recently, and it's amazing how long he's stuck around without interacting with the main characters that much. He was introduced initially as a minor character who had to sweep up Mr. Scruffy's mess occasionaly. This sort of fore-planning adds a lot to the comic and has really paid off with the O-Chul we have now.

He is pretty badass. I hope he gets out of it ok.

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn
I dunno. This is turning into The Wheel Of Time really fast. As of now, we have four entirely separate story threads: Roy in Heaven, Haley on the run, Elan doing the Battlestar Galactica thing, and Xykon in Azure City. This is the kind of thing that Robert Jordan did--spawn a new plot thread when he gets bored of the current one (or, worse, catches up to the end of his prewritten notes for the plot.) And it drove everyone crazy, and made people drop the series.

It's not like I'm going to quit reading, but the path has some bad precedents.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Scopedog posted:

I dunno. This is turning into The Wheel Of Time really fast. As of now, we have four entirely separate story threads: Roy in Heaven, Haley on the run, Elan doing the Battlestar Galactica thing, and Xykon in Azure City. This is the kind of thing that Robert Jordan did--spawn a new plot thread when he gets bored of the current one (or, worse, catches up to the end of his prewritten notes for the plot.) And it drove everyone crazy, and made people drop the series.

It's not like I'm going to quit reading, but the path has some bad precedents.

except that Jordan DIED and this guy is still around :haw:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
New strip is up!

The guy who called Redcloak threatening to throw people into the rift wins a prize!

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

DoctorTristan posted:

New strip is up!

The guy who called Redcloak threatening to throw people into the rift wins a prize!

What prize? What prize?

From what we know of Girard that seems like exactly the sort of thing he would do to protect his gate, which makes me wonder if there isn't another twist coming regarding that.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
It is, it's just that the joke is that the paladins don't know exactly what's going on. He lied, but he was dead on through a cruel twist of fate.

That's my interpretation, anyways.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 5, 2008

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

MikeJF posted:

My favorite thing about the last two strips is that Rich took the time to tint everything with a washed-out hazy purple (please do NOT insert purple haze jokes here). Like the rift is casting an unnatural ultraviolet light everywhere. You can practically hear it buzz with power.

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn
Looks like a bunch of Azure City dudes are gonna kiss the sky...

Also, y'know...O'Chul ought to know that it doesn't matter whether he collaborates or not. The gobbos are still totally in power, so even if he tells them everything then they'll still kill any humans they like.

"You're far too trusting. Dantooine is too remote to make an effective demonstration. But don't worry, we'll deal with your Rebel friends soon enough."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Scopedog posted:

Looks like a bunch of Azure City dudes are gonna kiss the sky...

Also, y'know...O'Chul ought to know that it doesn't matter whether he collaborates or not. The gobbos are still totally in power, so even if he tells them everything then they'll still kill any humans they like.

"You're far too trusting. Dantooine is too remote to make an effective demonstration. But don't worry, we'll deal with your Rebel friends soon enough."

O-Chul did lie in order to try and save the people. It's not as through he was actually cooperating.

Also, he's not Irish. It's O-Chul