Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Well, that answers the question if people in this world actually know how vampirism works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I were that cleric, I'd blow a sending to Roy right after this.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I liked the joke at the end, yay me.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MikeJF posted:

If I were that cleric, I'd blow a sending to Roy right after this.

Will he realize he was vampire-dominated once it wears off? Also, I didn't catch if Roy made introductions, he may have deliberately not so the temple can't hunt them down later if they can't get Durkon resurrected.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So the way vampires work is basically common knowledge among clerics? Durkula's taking a risk there, surely someone will eventually be able to blurt the truth out, or at least shove a pamphlet into Roy's hand. (if this were real life and not a comic where plot takes precedence over MY IMMERSION.)

Also it sounds like he's looking for something specific, and the return of DUN DUN DUN probably means it's something more ominous than a funny gnome hat souvenir or whatever.

e: souvenir is a hard word to spell

Zoe fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 21, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zoe posted:

e: souvenir is a hard word to spell

I blame the french.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Zoe posted:

So the way vampires work is basically common knowledge among clerics? Durkula's taking a risk there, surely someone will eventually be able to blurt the truth out, or at least shove a pamphlet into Roy's hand. (if this were real life and not a comic where plot takes precedence over MY IMMERSION.)

It's probably a Knowledge: Religion check.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zoe posted:

Also it sounds like he's looking for something specific, and the return of DUN DUN DUN probably means it's something more ominous than a funny gnome hat souvenir or whatever.

He could be looking for clerics who are high-level enough to resurrect him.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
He's probably looking for a sleeper agent of Hel.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

He's scouting out all the clerics so he can come back in the night to vamp them all. Suddenly Hel will have the most potent force of clerics of all Northern gods.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nimby posted:

He's scouting out all the clerics so he can come back in the night to vamp them all. Suddenly Hel will have the most potent force of clerics of all Northern gods.

Is there a mechanic limiting chainvamping?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

MikeJF posted:

Not in D&D! Vampire: the Requiem has the sire expending permanent Willpower (goes to 10, starting characters will have 3-6) to do it, but D&D vamps can just go on a draining spree.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Sefer posted:

It's probably a Knowledge: Religion check.

Yep, this is indeed the case--turns out reading the first couple pages of the main site thread isn't always a decision to deeply regret forever!

According to Burlew, it's not exactly common knowledge, more like something 1 in 4 clerics might know. Which is convenient because there are exactly four clerics shown in this strip, and only one of them realized what was really up. (See his horrified expression in the first panel compared to the others, nice touch.)

And someone else pointed out that Roy's obliviousness to the domination is basically a recurrence of his brushing off the deva trying to warn him about V, and his established character flaw of just generally not giving a poo poo about non plot-relevant NPCs.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
It seems risky to base your entire evil plan on clerics failing Will saves. Even if they are a bunch of levels lower than you, clerics are really good at Will saves.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

He might not have known that other people would know. Durkon had a terrible knowledge religion score in life and may have given the spirit the wrong impression.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
This is part of the reason why I didn't like it being as clear cut as Durkon's soul being trapped by a vampire as it depends a lot more on circumstances somehow happening just right.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MikeJF posted:

Well he can only command as much vampires or vampire spawn as he has Hit die. However this extends down to his controlled Vampires as well.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well he can only command as much vampires or vampire spawn as he has Hit die. However this extends down to his controlled Vampires as well.

The feudal system is a marvelous thing.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Does the head vampire control the vampires two steps removed from them, or do those third-generation vampires only respect their immediate superior who happens to be controlled by the original? Does this mean a vampire who must obey their creator could get out of that arrangement by making a vampire of their own and then arming that minion to take out their master?

Wait this sounds familiar...

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

That assumes the first command given by the master vampire isn't "Serve my interests in every aspect of your existence."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dolash posted:

Does the head vampire control the vampires two steps removed from them, or do those third-generation vampires only respect their immediate superior who happens to be controlled by the original? Does this mean a vampire who must obey their creator could get out of that arrangement by making a vampire of their own and then arming that minion to take out their master?

Wait this sounds familiar...

Correct in order to have a 3rd gen Vampiire obey them they would have to relay commands through higher up vampires. However this also means that just one of the higher up vampires die then the Original Vampire loses control of all of the spawn crated by that one and so on.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
:siren: New strip! :siren:

It's Only His SECOND Favorite Cuisine
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0969.html

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Well it's been joked about before, but I think that might be the first time Belkar has actually registered as an Evil being in strip. Unless I'm mistaken, he's always managed to weasel out of an actual detection in every previous instance of the joke.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
He reacted to the holy word before

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What're the odds of his new vest resisting Durkon's compulsions?

I assume he's gonna try and get Durkon to use the Protection from Evil somehow. Or possibly give it to one of his party members to protect them when the Durkon real fight goes down.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 1, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also way back in the beginning, he was immune to Unholy Blight.

These gnomes are all so friendly and trusting. I dread to see what kind of evil Durkula's brewing. :smith:

E: I imagine that either the spell still works and the brooch just hurts Belkar, or by the time he needs to use it, his alignment will have changed to Chaotic Neutral (he dies soon after, redeemed).

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 1, 2014

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Jeeze, man, just switch to protection from law.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

As if Belkar is even aware Protection from Law is a thing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Or that Durkula would be lawful evil. Hell, since it's not even a corrupted Durkon, but an entirely different soul, he might not be.

Also Tinker Town doesn't seem like the kind of place where you'd sell that kind of thing!

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I'm really gonna miss the little guy. :(

And Durkula is definitely lawful evil based on him getting a barbed devil out of his Planar Ally spell.

MikeJF posted:

What're the odds of his new vest resisting Durkon's compulsions?
+15%!

Colonel Cool fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 1, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, what, is he going to put it on just in time to do something noble and heroic and realize it's not affecting him?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Is that something that could actually kill Belkar if he activated it while already badly injured? And is it usable just to ward off something evil or would it hurt them as well?

Also I made an involuntarily little squeeing sound at Belkar implying the possession of an actual conscience in the last panel. I guess at some point I turned into a Belkar fangirl and didn't even realize it...weird because there have been so many points in the comic when I couldn't stand the character but I guess it was actually just his psychopath schtick I was sick of. While 'evil person gradually becomes less evil' on the other hand is one of my favorite styles of character arc in any kind of fiction.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It hurting him at all is just flavour text really. The spell shouldn't actually do anything negative to him when it's cast on him other than stinging a little. It's still a perfectly serviceable magic item that should stop the domination gaze from working so long as the spell stays up.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
^^^Where is everyone getting those avatars?

And Durkula can't just blow right past it on account of being a high level vampire cleric casting domination on a halfling with all the Wisdom of a wet noodle? Either way I wonder how much longer we can realistically go without a direct confrontation between those two. And how much more painful the 'Roy is blind and really, really dumb' strips will get before we get there.

fake edit: Also I somehow managed to skim right past the Banjo joke the first time, holy poo poo this strip has everything.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

garbage dick is the new "stupid newbie" avatar

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It's the new stupid newbie avatar, apparently.

Protection from Evil is a hard counter to domination that doesn't rely on Belkar's abilities in any way. But it only works so long as the spell stays up so it's perfectly viable for Durkon to just dispel it.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Ah, okay.

Well I guess that's one incentive to change it.

on topic: So if all it takes is a dispel spell than Belkar still can't match up to him in a fight. I wonder if he has the sense to keep it hidden away as an ace in the hole for the inevitable showdown...normally I say 'haha no' but he displayed all kinds of surprising brain activity in this one comic alone so who knows.

Also I'm kind of wondering if we'll see more of this gnome lady with the sweet goggles, seems like a lot of work went into her design just for one strip.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 1, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Colonel Cool posted:

And Durkula is definitely lawful evil based on him getting a barbed devil out of his Planar Ally spell.

Ahh, fair.

Colonel Cool posted:

It hurting him at all is just flavour text really. The spell shouldn't actually do anything negative to him when it's cast on him other than stinging a little. It's still a perfectly serviceable magic item that should stop the domination gaze from working so long as the spell stays up.

Maybe it gives a negative level? I think that's the standard effect for evil characters trying to use good items and vice versa.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think if it was a good item then it would trigger on him equipping it, not on him activating the spell...

But I guess a negative level seems like a reasonable enough houserule for an evil character having it cast on him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Correct in order to have a 3rd gen Vampiire obey them they would have to relay commands through higher up vampires. However this also means that just one of the higher up vampires die then the Original Vampire loses control of all of the spawn crated by that one and so on.

Vampire Alpha could simply order his direct inferiors to order all their inferiors to obey his commands at all times. That way he doesn't need to relay orders and can just do it himself.