Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

What's the thing the vampires trying to steal? If it was ever plot important I've completely forgotten it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

team overhead smash posted:

What's the thing the vampires trying to steal? If it was ever plot important I've completely forgotten it.

It's their Teleport Orb, how they were going to get from the Moot to Kraagar's Gate

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's a teleport orb. Whoever theorized that Hel's backup plan is to teleport in a bunch of tie-breakers seems to be on the spot.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Kajeesus posted:

It's a teleport orb. Whoever theorized that Hel's backup plan is to teleport in a bunch of tie-breakers seems to be on the spot.

or teleport away dissenting voters

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I hope a fight more the proper order of things means turning into a bat to fight the cat, and subsequently being eaten

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why would he not just ignore the cat and just get what he came for. What kind of insane vampire stands around debating a cat.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

greatn posted:

Why would he not just ignore the cat and just get what he came for. What kind of insane vampire stands around debating a cat.

A vampire Dwarf.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You'd think a vampire dwarf would be the sanest since it's not like they like going outside or ever seeing daylight anyhow.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Much like cats, vampires have an innate need to toy with their prey, stall and monologue about their evil plans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq1MUWeGdsY

Insidious.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's the urge to monologue.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think rich really likes writing v's bird but I like reading it so I guess it's OK

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
do familiars get acces to any kind of spells. for some reason im imagining the bird doing a thing and then the vampire dispelling it and accidentally dispelling the polymorph on bloodfeast the exterminator and destroying the airship

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jsoh posted:

do familiars get acces to any kind of spells. for some reason im imagining the bird doing a thing and then the vampire dispelling it and accidentally dispelling the polymorph on bloodfeast the exterminator and destroying the airship

The can deliver touch spells if the mage casts them.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I guess he's talking to the cat because otherwise he could probably kill the cat in one round, and there's not really a graceful way around that otherwise.

Although frankly we can assume the vampire dwarf is going to succeed in stealing the orb (otherwise why waste time with this digression?) so Rich could've handled this in a single update where he swats and ignores them animals then disappears with the orb. Unless this scene's also important for tipping off the airship crew that something's gone wrong.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This was a fun update and I chuckled.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

greatn posted:

The kind that understands the inherent hierarchy the same way a cat does`.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's Lich - Vampire - Man - Horse - Cow - Dog - Cat - Small Bird - Insect

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What would happen if the vampire were to just kill all the animal friends? Would V have to eat a permanent constitution loss? Would they have to be raised at a huge diamond cost?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

greatn posted:

It's Lich - Vampire - Man - Horse - Cow - Dog - Cat - 1st Level Commoner - Small Bird - Insect

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah as soon as I read that I wondered where the vampire was going to conjure a level 1 commoner from.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Kajeesus posted:

What would happen if the vampire were to just kill all the animal friends? Would V have to eat a permanent constitution loss? Would they have to be raised at a huge diamond cost?

I don't know about CON, but V would be hit with a penalty. V couldn't get another familiar for...a year? I believe.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

quote:

If the familiar dies or is dismissed by the sorcerer, the sorcerer must attempt a DC 15 Fortitude saving throw. Failure means he loses 200 experience points per sorcerer level; success reduces the loss to one-half that amount. However, a sorcerer’s experience point total can never go below 0 as the result of a familiar’s demise or dismissal. A slain or dismissed familiar cannot be replaced for a year and day. A slain familiar can be raised from the dead just as a character can be, and it does not lose a level or a Constitution point when this happy event occurs.

The rules for wizards are the same. I don't think it'll happen, mind you.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
The vampire dwarf's eyes are glowing red as he says "I will provide you with a fight more befitting the proper order of things". I would guess he intends to dominate Mr. Scruffy into hunting Blackwing, but does the domination gaze even work on cats?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Triple Elation posted:

The vampire dwarf's eyes are glowing red as he says "I will provide you with a fight more befitting the proper order of things". I would guess he intends to dominate Mr. Scruffy into hunting Blackwing, but does the domination gaze even work on cats?

It shouldn't, as it works on humanoids, but don't be surprised if Rich ignores that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

greatn posted:

It's Lich - Vampire - Man - Horse - Cow - Dog - Cat - Small Bird - Purple Lizard - Insect

Fixed that for you.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

greatn posted:

It's God - Immortal - Lich - Vampire - Man - Horse - Cow - Dog - Cat - Small Bird - Purple Lizard - Insect - Telemarketer
To expand on it given that the gods are involved in the chapter. :devil:
(no liches and vampires aren't immortals in that they weren't born immortal and vampires still have the mortal weakness of needing to eat)

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Triple Elation posted:

A tiger, a housecat, a lizard, and a bird all sleeping in a big comfy pile is an abomination unto nature, a perversion of the natural order. A walking corpse powered by an evil spirit is pointing it out. I know clerics with the Animal sphere can summon animals. Maybe he's gonna summon evil opposites for the animal companions to fight since they're getting lines now and it's not like this comic has enough supporting cast already.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Network Pesci posted:

A tiger, a housecat, a lizard, and a bird all sleeping in a big comfy pile is an abomination unto nature, a perversion of the natural order. A walking corpse powered by an evil spirit is pointing it out. I know clerics with the Animal sphere can summon animals. Maybe he's gonna summon evil opposites for the animal companions to fight since they're getting lines now and it's not like this comic has enough supporting cast already.

But the Linear Guild is dead now.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Do you honestly think we have seen the last of Pompey and Leeky?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Linear Guild is dead, but their pets are not. Thog had a puppy.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Does the druid raise dead equivalent require a body?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ikanreed posted:

Does the druid raise dead equivalent require a body?

Seems so, given that the target is "dead creature touched"
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

jsoh posted:

There's at least one Feat that let's you share some of your spells with your familiar. But I think the maximum level you can ever give them are like Level 3 spells.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

There's at least one Feat that let's you share some of your spells with your familiar. But I think the maximum level you can ever give them are like Level 3 spells.
Spell-Linked Familiar from the PHBII, but it has a maximum of 2nd level spells.

The Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability spell from Spell Compendium can let you transfer up to 5th level spells, though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I doubt V would ever waste feats like that. V isn't the sharing type.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nihilarian posted:

Spell-Linked Familiar from the PHBII, but it has a maximum of 2nd level spells.

The Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability spell from Spell Compendium can let you transfer up to 5th level spells, though.

All familiars have the ability to deliver touch spells as well, and the SRD doesn't say there's a level cap. Not that there's a lot of level 9 touch spells, nor anything but damaging spells at all but it's there.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

seaborgium posted:

Not that there's a lot of level 9 touch spells

...but now I want to see a raven delivering such a spell.

"Hey why is that bird glowi- OH GOD THAT GUY'S MELTING"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Angela Christine posted:

I doubt V would ever waste feats like that. V isn't the sharing type.

V is an Evocation wizard. He fireballs first and has Durkon Speak to the Dead later.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Johnny Aztec posted:

V is an Evocation wizard. He fireballs first and has Durkon Speak to the Dead later.

Well, not anymore. He's done his full arc and is now moving towards the alteration wizard that actually works well in a team. He saw how easily a few smart spells can foil complete arcane power, and paid a hard price for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can't just respec your specialization like that can you? I thought that was a lifelong choice.