Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Waffleimages isn't working, but there's a new strip: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0608.html

Lime green. A grave conundrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

The Werle posted:

Sheets mean nothing to the common housecat.

I know housecats are tough, but I suspect Mr. Scruffy has become Belkar's animal companion, even more powerful than a common housecat. He's following Belkar's orders in battle, and look at the wounds he left on the dwarf.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

shadysight posted:

I'm having trouble verbalizing how inconceivably stupid that plan would have to be, between letting his friends he fully intends to save be ambushed, and then apparently aspiring to kill the entire thieves guild.

I think his main goal was to get his eyes back, but it may be that he planned to help them after selling them out for his eyes.
Of course, if he planned to take on the Guild afterwards anyway, he probably could have gotten a spell from his cleric friend or something at some point...

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

BrainWeasel posted:

I think the Oracle got stabbed last time he tried to pass off a cheesy rationalization like that.

Yeah, but the Oracle KNEW he was going to get stabbed for it and did it anyway. Clearly it didn't work as a deterrent.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
But only because that particular demon owed him; he's unlikely to have more powerful demons that lost at cards to him.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Affi posted:

Eh, wouldn't the black dragons antimagic sphere still gently caress V over? He's just getting the powers of 3 other mages.. ?

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly antimagic sphere doesn't stop epic magic.

Edit: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spellsIntro.htm
The antimagic field has to roll a d20+20 vs DC 11+caster level, meaning that at best an antimagic field has less that 50% of stopping epic magic, and has no chance of stopping a caster of level 30 or above.

Sefer fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 23, 2009

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

DoctorTristan posted:

Assuming they actually survive. He stated in the last strip that V won't be able to replicate divine magic. That's about as blatant as "If you should happen to kill someone during your power trip, there will be no resurrecting them."

He may not be able to raise them himself, but he can certainly teleport to someone who can (and should even be able to use wish or epic magic to create the material component).

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

What are the odds that V is bright enough to immediately end the Soul Splice, thereby minimizing demonic access?

I think at minimum V will teleport his family to Durkon for healing. He could let the power go at that point, but I get the feeling he'll make excuses to just do one more thing while he has it.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
New strip:

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Intent counts, I think. The summary execution of a whole family tree, including children who have probably yet to even perform an evil act (to say nothing of unborn eggs) is hard to put a positive spin on.

Edit: ^^^Yeah that.

I dunno, Redcloak's backstory confirms that paladins in this world can kill off entire goblin villages and maintain their paladin status because the goblins are inherently evil; I think the baby goblin argument's already been covered as far as the OotS campaign setting goes.

Edit: On the other hand, half-dragons aren't inherently evil, so there's a good chance he caught some good creatures in that spell too.

Sefer fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 20, 2009

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Karma Guard posted:

I had a big write up but basically the whole Miko v the... other dude paladin debate: You can't be a dick and pre-emptively strike. They have to DO something evil in order for you to start killing them.

Being a paladin in service doesn't mean being a crusader. (I'm pretty sure that's some other class :v: )

Redcloak's backstory from Start of Darkness involves paladins killing entire goblin villages to keep them from being a threat to the Gate; it's preemptive and doesn't cause the paladins involved to lose their paladin status, much less change alignment. Killing evil beings who haven't done evil you're aware of does not seem to be evil in this campaign world.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Shyrka posted:

The fact that black dragons are evil has absolutely no bearing on V's alignment in this situation. That zombie dragon Xykon was using as his mount, are people going to call the lich a good guy for killing that dragon? Does a Pit Fiend becomes more good when it kills a Balor? Of course not - evil creatures are fully capable of loving over other evil creatures to a horrifying degree.

It does have a bearing on the situation in that we know killing random evil creatures is not an evil act. If he'd just killed a bunch of good creatures for no reason, it's be evil; killing a bunch of evil creatures, though, is at worst neutral.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

HKR posted:

The character who's only goal in life was to amass as much arcane power as possible willingly giving up a massive amount of arcane power?

Do any of you actually read the comic or do you immediately rush to the source books to make sure he got the specifics of summon monster IV right?

V isn't necessarily planning on keeping the power indefinately; he may just seek to reunite the party and/or defeat Xykon before he gives it up. Just because he wants massive arcane power doesn't mean he's not smart enough to know he'll lose control of the souls eventually and that he needs to minimize the time he spends with the fiends.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
What I like about this is that it makes everything V's fault; if he hadn't left the fleet, the dragon would have continued to bide her time waiting for V to be alone to attack and explain her revenge. V would have been there when the sending spell came in and the party would be well on its way to being reunited, making this whole soul selling thing unnecessary.

Of course, there would still be a dragon waiting for the chance at revenge and the fleet would still be seeking a home, so some good came of doing it this way. It's just interesting that none of it would be necessary if V hadn't thrown a tantrum and left the fleet.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Sick_Boy posted:

Paladins of the Sapphire Guard, at least. Wonder of there's a Ruby Guard somewhere.

Was reading through the archives and noticed this: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0415.html

At least some paladins wear red. It may or may not be a whole order. I think every paladin we've seen wears white under the cloak, though.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Nice, I never noticed that :)

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

bison wings posted:

that'd be cool, but it would also be something useful. Burlew seems pretty intent on teaching V that arcane power isn't the one and only truth.

New strip says you're right.

PS check the cast page: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootscast.html

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

bison wings posted:

[edit] I didn't see you had already mentioned it, sefer :(

Probably best to have it rehosted and save giantitp.com some bandwidth anyway.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

ZorbaTHut posted:

"Hey guys, if I use Smite Heretic, but I'm Polytheistic, does it work on demons?"

Clearly that depends on whether demons (both demons in general and the particular demons you want to smite) are part of the pantheon you worship.

Yeah, this could be awesome.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

KOraithER posted:

The classes have to have an oversaturated category while neglecting the others. For example:

Combat classes:
- Street brawler
- Archer
- Knight
- Dragon hunter
- Captain
- Ninja
- Savage
- Griffin tamer

Magic classes:
- Wizard

Support classes:
- Healer
- Manservant

In addition to Street Brawler, we need Martial Artist. And Monk.
Also, either every class needs access to alignment based abilities, or we need some kind of Holy Knight to have all the abilities like Smite Heathen, Smite Heretic, Smite Adulterer, Smite Someone Who Works on Holy Days, and so on.

I kinda like the idea of a class whose every attack is some kind of smite, actually. And none of them work unless the person you're trying to smite actually fits into that category for your (subjective) belief system.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Having insomnia gets a little better when there's a new strip:

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

bartolimu posted:

I'm pretty much loving Xykon too. I think we've seen his Epic Spell though - Maximized Energy Drain. That's about as mean as anything I've seen a GM do.

New question: is V responsible for damages to the spliced souls? With each one being returned (at least) twelve levels weaker than they were loaned out, I think the fiends could make a legitimate claim. That's far beyond the normal wear and tear one would associate with a normal rental.

The level loss is only permanent if they fail their saving throw; it's just the negative levels they carry around until they can make a save drops the spells they can cast.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Ashenai posted:

Come to think of it, what exactly is V's motivation to stop Xykon?

V lives on a planet whose existence is threatened by Xykon and Redcloak's plan? His family lives there too?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
To be fair to V, when the party split up he didn't immediately go out to find a similar level party to adventure with to gain power quickly; he spent all his time trying to seek out Haley (who, presumably, had Roy's body). He was more interested in finding the lost party members than leveling up, which indicates he cares about some of them, at least (I have to assume that if Belkar was the only one missing V wouldn't care).

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

bison wings posted:

"WAAAAAA! How come V gets to be left beaten and captured with 3 upcoming and unannounced instances where he forfeits control entirely and becomes an NPC???"

Roy got an afterlife spin off with all sorts of family intrigue.
Haley and Belkar got a resistance campaign followed by a siege on the Thieves Guild.
Elan got a ninja romance and an infernal assassination coup.

I respect what you're saying but all the characters had a pretty even handed spot in the limelight with sole exception of Durkon. And V is the one left in a lich's dungeon. Seems like a punishment to me.

I sometimes wonder whether Durkon is the cleric NPC the DM included in the party because no one wanted to play the healer.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Geshtal posted:

The beauty of Rifts, if they mess it up, I can just kill 'em off and bring another version from another reality through a rift or whatever the heck I feel like. In fact, rifts in my games got the nickname ‘magic monster machines’.

I may have abused the game mechanics slightly.

I consider an alternate name to Rifts to be "Abuse the Game Mechanics: the RPG."

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Once, in an effort to get my Chaotic Evil character to not rob a series of shopkeeps that were trying to gouge the gently caress out of us anyway, my GM made them all world-class swordsman :doh:

To some degree, D&D is a game of clichés. Some groups resist it and some groups embrace it, but it's part of the game. Old adventurers retiring and running a shop or tavern is one of the clichés of the genre; it's perfectly reasonable to assume that the reason none of the high level guys that were adventuring before your characters are out saving the world is because they retired, stepping aside for to allow the next generation to save the world and keep those fuckers from getting poo poo they didn't earn.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Lord Commissar posted:

No I'm not, I just don't play D&D, because it's not really based on roleplaying. That's why you earn XP for killing poo poo instead of playing your character.

I can't speak for editions before 2nd, but every edition I've played has granted XP for role playing. You can also get XP for peacefully avoiding battles rather than killing the monsters. However, since XP is used to advance your ability to kill things and use skills, I don't know why you'd care how you're getting XP, since the XP won't improve your ability to role play your character. I don't know that there is a system where XP (or whatever that system's XP equivilant is) can do that.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Vanadium posted:

Yes. Roy's dad explains the gimmick to Roy and Haley in strip 293, and Roy seems to relay that to the rest of the party in strip 294.

Edit: Do they still have Roy's sword? I did not see it in the most recent pages but I did also not see where they would have lost it.

Haley has multiple bags of holding, so the sword wouldn't necessarily need to be visible for them to have it.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Druid wildshape referenced polymorph, didn't it? They couldn't ban it without banning druids.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

ZorbaTHut posted:

I remember a story about a dungeon where the first level was chock-full of . . . level one kobolds.

Level one kobolds with an elaborate and deadly system of traps.

The adventuring party feared the first level, and whenever they had to re-enter the dungeon, they raced through the first level as quickly as possible so they could get to the relatively-easy beholders and dragons.

Levels ain't everything.

http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/

I love that story.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
New Strip

The bird gets to be badass. Though I'm surprised V has no feather falls, at least.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Goffer posted:

Featherfall maybe?

EDIT: Dammit so close... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0049.html

We know V has featherfall in her spell book- she used it when she was polymorphed into a lizard. We don't know whether she prepares it when she can speak, though. I'd hope so, since it's one of those just in case spells that every wizard can have, but I don't remember her using it in any other case.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Grimwall posted:

Damnit, this just makes him harder to destroy than before; it's not like a lich cares if it wakes up at the bottom of the ocean. I was hoping that SOME good would come of this side trip.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
MitD has also used something like a souped up version of the psionic power stomp (or an earthquake supernatural ability that just happens to be triggered by stomping the ground); I don't know if that helps since my SRD searches aren't turning up likely monsters with stomp or earthquake powers.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

NutShellBill posted:

Becoming a Lich also gives you crazy bonuses to pretty much all of your stats. Taking into account that he's level 30, once beat someone to death with an improvised weapon, and can lift giant slabs of stone, his STR is probably 20, or higher.

Liches get +2 Int/Wis/Cha and get paralyzing touch, but no other natural weapons. In that he's epic and a +5 book and +6 to all stats item are really cheap (and we can be pretty certain he's been fiddling with some epic item creation, too, since he has an item that makes him immune to fire), he probably does have a 20+ strength anyway.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
It's looking likely that the MitD will switch sides during the final battle.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Also Tiamat has five heads, hence the "holding on lines 2, 3, 5, 8, and 11" joke.

The Oracle worships Tiamat and calls upon her for answers, too. We got to see her at one point.

He also had all 5 of her breath weapon types coming out of the phone :)

It's often the little things in this comic that I like the most.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

seaborgium posted:

I didn't think Crystal got killed. Belkar didn't do it, he said it was Haley's job and as with all fictional villains I don't recall seeing her get killed. Some minor healing and she'd probably be fine.

You're forgetting something: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0648.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

YggiDee posted:

Fibonacci sequence.

I don't actually know what it means, I just know that it's math.

Fibonnaci sequence adds the current and previous numbers to get the next number; it's 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13. So that isn't even part of it.