Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I was really happy that Rich finally resolved a bunch of his dangling plot lines, like the cyphered-speech thing. And doing it with style! The oddly effective Elan rescue was a great way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

clockworkjoe posted:

Is he just invisible or is he also ethereal? That might explain why he's flying so close to the walls. Why worry about the enemy army if they can't see or even touch you?

I'm not much for D&D, so correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't being untouchable mean that his dragon would not generate the wind that tipped off his location in the first place?

(Completely ignoring, of course, how the heck a creature unable to touch air would be able to fly)

efb

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I was assuming the new archer was going to be a new Linear Guild member, one that's going to stick around longer than the last set of recruits.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

tsob posted:

Why were Durkon and Haley so upset about Roy's death? Is there some reason they can't just rez him like nothing happened later?

Well, the author might be holding to 'no resurrections of main characters' to keep dramatic tension up. Or the GM of the fictional game could have the same house rule for the same reason.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think the last name 'Starshine' gives some weight to the not-totally-human theory. That sounds to me like a name you give to....not a family of thieves, at the very least.

I'm not sure if it's okay to discuss content exclusive to the books, but this is pretty minor, so I'm going to ask it: I just purchased the first book, Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, and on one of the back pages, he gives hints for future storylines. Since this was written back in 2005, most of the stories have already been broached (Roy's sister, Haley's father, the gates, the introduction of a paladin, a romance subplot). There's one future storyline in his list that I can't recall ever being seen in the strip: "Vaarsuvis' family". Come to think of it, V has had the least character development of any of the OotSers. Did I miss a strip somewhere? Has he just not gotten to it? Is this stuff in one of the other books?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Rereading some of the old strips, I'm surprised Haley reacts so much to a Detect Evil spell.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0202.html

Almost as if she's worried that it will detect something she doesn't want known. But she doesn't seem evil, and doesn't register evil, so I'm not sure what it means.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

All might not be completely lost. There's still a second, inner wall. Too bad all the spellcasters up on the tower died, all those hobgoblins clustered in between the two walls would seem like a good target for big AoE spells.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

As an illustration of how a paladin can be played badly, she's pretty two dimensional. As a LE character who doesn't realize she's evil, I'd say she has a chance at development into something interesting.

I'm a real newb at D&D, but I'm trying to learn. Seems like, at least according to the 3.5 player handbook, that at this point, she's textbook Lawful Evil.

- Cares about tradition, loyalty, and order, but not freedom, dignity, or life
- Takes what she wants within the limits of her code of conduct without regard for whom it hurts.
- Plays by the rules but without mercy or compassion
- Comfortable in a hierarchy and would like to rule, but is willing to serve.
- Believes herself above unprincipled villains.

I know that doesn't mesh very well with the whole 'concrete good/evil' thing you guys have talked about here, though, so I could be totally off.

I guess 3.5 redefined the alignments(?), so maybe I'm not using them right.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 5, 2007

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

greatn posted:

Elan seems to get foreboding feeligns a lot. It looks like a literary device joke, but any chance he actually has some kind of power doing that

I think the joke is that it's one of his Bard abilities to sense plot.

^^^Really should have read Dave Woo's post first, sorry.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 5, 2007

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think the comic shows that Burlew is good at pulling you in to the storyline. I'm pretty sure I don't want Xylon and Redcloak to die, since they're fun villains, but for a split moment, I was super-pissed off at they got away again, because I'd sided with the OOTS so strongly.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Is anyone keep track of how often the comics really get updated? Because it ain't M/W/F.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

At the risk of further sidetracking the conversation, the DMs I've played with are really frustrating me. I keep making non-munchkin characters (An engineer in a Firefly campaign, a combat-inexperienced grad student in a zombie game, an unoptimized wizard in a D&D campaign...) and all that ever happens is that I end up standing there while the other players hack-and-slash their way through everything, because the DM never does anything but combat and the occasional indimidation. Makes me want to just give up and join them.

Getting back on topic: I picked up On the Origin of PCs and Start of Darkness and enjoyed them. The only thing is a plot mentioned that either hasn't been mentioned in the comic or has totally slipped my mind. Have we seen Redcloak's niece anywhere?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Choke Babies Now posted:

Also, they said they can't toss O-Chul in the bag, but I don't see them throwing Roy in.

Belkar doesn't want Haley to do that, because it'll seperate him from Roy's body, and the Mark might activate. Mentioned here.

Edit: Curse my time spent getting links!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

New OotS up.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0488.html

Server seems just fine right now, so I'm not going to bother with an image backup.

I was wondering if all of Roy's little snarky moments would come back to bite him...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Do we know what incident Roy is referring to? I mean its not hard to construct some sort of idea, but specifically?

I'm pretty sure this is the first time it's been mentioned, unless it was in some bonus material I don't have.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I doubt Roy will do any class changing from this, but I wouldn't be surprised if his ancestral sword ended up powered up a bit more. I have no idea how it would work, but it seems like there would be something there with a blessing from the original owner of the sword or something.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Quarex posted:

I am starting to wonder if Parson might not end up seeing if he can just switch sides to get out of this predicament, only to then have the battle actually end up somehow swinging in favor of Lord Stanley's army, forcing him to still actually pull the losing side out of the fire.

Given that the good guys aren't that appealing either, I'm wondering if Parson isn't going to try to establish a third faction. Tool is evacuating the castle and there are still foreshadowed attacks on it that have not been triggered yet, so I imagine Parson will try to stick around with a [much diminished] fighting force.

The one problem with both our theories is that he's still considered a unit in Stanley's army, so I can't figure out how he could do either without being disbanded.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Quarex posted:

Of course, I wonder how much of Roy would constitute "his position?" Maybe any single piece of Roy would work!

Yeah, I was wondering about that. You could get into some weird experiments, where, say, you split his body in half and took one part away from Belkar to determine if it's the half with the 'position'. If not, it's the other half. So you take the winning half and divide it in half again. Repeat.

Eventually, you're either going to find out something interesting about the nature of being, or really piss off your GM.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I bet his eye isn't even gone, he just thinks people living on the high seas need pirate eye patches.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

:siren: The new strip is up! :siren:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0507.html

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I don't even see why anyone cares. It's not like it'll ever actually matter. V already has a partner back home. Just accept that it's a gag that's gone on too long to ever actually end and move on.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure he's going for "Rapid exhale of breath with a slight note of panic", which is very close to "Haw", but I'm not sure how you'd write it to show the difference.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Erfworld updated, if anyone still cares.

Looks like he's leaning towards the "Life on Mars" scenario.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Between the constant fighting on the boats and the constant fighting in the cities, I hope Roy won't feel intimidated to be at a lower level than everyone else when he gets resurrected.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Could it be the name of one of the places to turn away the Azure fleet ships? Maybe they're unwilling to help because the hobgoblins are offering better trading deals.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Erfworld makes a lot more sense if you sit down and read it in one sitting. He's going for a pre-planned backstory combined with a 'Life on Mars' style 'is this real?' angle.

I think it's mainly his update schedule that's hurting him. People would be able to cut him a lot more slack if things didn't drag so much.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, I mean, all the stupid internet stuff is because the main character needs to be concerned with how much the place matches up with his brain. And he's a sad internet nerd.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

team overhead smash posted:

Not to mention that his whole reason behind "we're not evil" is because he doesn't believe good and evil even exist. As readers we know he’s wrong, so Stanley doesn’t have much of a point.

We do?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Jonked posted:

I suspect the main city is suppose to be bait - everybody is trying to take the city, and Stanley sets up a new capital elsewhere. Probably then Parson will have a 'winnable' war on his hands, beats the army left behind to take the city, and...

well, who knows?

I assumed Parson is eventually going to set himself up as a new Overlord, independent of Stanley. He's got a handful of troops, a variety of leader-level tools popping daily, and his ability to not-quite fit the world probably means he doesn't have to follow the normal rules of succession.

Then he's going to have to make some hard decisions about what he wants to do.

Does he follow his gamer-nerd impulses and push back once he's in a position of power, igniting a new war against his former enemies? Does he attempt to sue for peace until he can figure out a way to get back home? Does he even want to at that point?

I think it's notable that his two closest advisers have switched sides at least once already (from FAQ / Saline IV).

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think Roy is about to discover whatever rules exist that force ghosts to be all cryptic.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I find it interesting that Belkar is so concerned with what the cat is eating. I know he thinks the cat is awesome, but that's the most interest he's shown in the comfort-level of another creature in...ever?

I realize it's probably just a ranger/pet thing, but it's a nice touch.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Up until this point, V's entire motivation has been to (Origin of PCs spoilers)stay in a party to level up a bunch (because it's a faster way to become skilled than just studying in a university, due to the convoluted rules of the D&D universe) V is, essentially, a powergamer, right down to forgetting about class feature until they're useful, like the raven.

So now, after all this time, V has gotten attached to the group, and feels terrible about sneaking off in the middle of the big battle. This is just guilt, combined with a lack of sleep.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 8, 2008

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

New strip

That's totally Nale and his demon gal

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Huh. I never noticed he had other jokes in the strip titles:

quote:

555 Half-Dragons Are Even Worse

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Sick_Boy posted:

Everyday I love Elan more and more. The way his knowledge of dramatic clichés keeps working cracks me up.

I was going to say that the world would be in much better shape if he hadn't destroyed the first Gate, but then the Order wouldn't have found out about the other gates, so...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Maldraedior posted:

As for Xykon, there's quite a few things that could stand up to him based on the fact that he's Evil and Undead(Soon was doing a drat fine job until everything went all explodey). The problem is he's also a epic Sorceror backed up by a high level Evil Cleric; so it would probably take some concentrated high level Good to stop the two of them. The question then is would Serini have thought to gear Kraagor's Dungeon to stand up to Evil Adventurers or is it just standard high-level dungeon fare?

Well, Xykon already cleared out a tower full of Good-aligned monsters and commented on the lack of viable dungeon-runs for Evil-aligned parties, so I don't expect to see the same in the Gate Dungeon.

Do we know where the two remaining gates are? According to the archives, one is on the Western Continent and the other is "through 8 human kingdoms", presumably on the Northern continent, neither of which is an easy place to march his hobgoblin army to. I just don't know which is the Illusion one that they're headed to next.

Either way, I suspect most of the hobgoblins are going to stay in Azure City.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Man, I hate Banjo. Next storyline, please!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The box the books came in is a nice touch.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Really, logically speaking, having your body made into a bone golem makes it a lot easier to move around and bring to a priest capable of resurrection-- plus, it can defend itself from being stolen or destroyed. It's a win-win situation!

Are bone golems considered 'evil'? Are they going to have a hard time finding a good-aligned priest who'll believe they're good guys if they'll being followed around by a bone golem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Having seen first-hand how terrible webcomics can get when they listen to reader requests, I'm inclined to let him do what he wants. I'm still enjoying it, anyway.