Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

quote:

Huh. Well, I guess he's really not going to be needing what we're taking anymore.

Why, is it a hat?

Best line of the strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Vanadium posted:

I think the point is just that Haerta is just a floaty soul now, much like Roy, so she cannot take any effect on the material plane?

Could there be a possibility that an cleric might bind her soul to a human vessel, or that Haerta may be powerful enough to straight up possess someone, creating another powerful adversary that V would have to clean up before the the end of the comic strip?

Potentially as a penance related storyline or something?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Featherfall maybe?

EDIT: Dammit so close... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0049.html

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html

Just came across this comic - With all the teleporting that's been going on recently, conjuration was V's barred school and she couldn't learn teleport. I guess the soul spice could override this, do epic levels allow for this to be negated too?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
This is slightly off topic, but it shares the same kind of d&d humour that OOTS does, i'm sure anyone that reads this thread would get a kick out of it:

Has anyone else been watching 'Doraleous & Associates' at the Escapist? Most of the escapist stuff is crap (apart from zero puntuation), but this new weekly series they've been running is getting better and better each week. The first 3 episodes are a little shaky, but once it gets to the 4th episode on it starts getting really good.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/doraleous-and-associates

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
I posted this about 2 pages ago, but somehow it seems strangely appropriate:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/doraleous-and-associates/1688-Episode-16-Art-Thou-Ready-to-Rumblee

Art thou ready to Rumblee?

Although Belkar and Roy seem like they could take on pretty much anything a gladiator pit could through at them.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Nystral posted:

no one else can see the bird right? Thus more evidence that Mister Fluffy is more then meets the eye.

I was playing through some Baldur's Gate II the other day and was reading up about familiars - Assuming Fluffy is older (2nd ed rules?), following their rules of familiar summoning, Mister Fluffy would have these attributes:

Cat - Chaotic Neutral - 0 AC, 24 HP, Pickpocket, 99% Stealth, 50% magic resistance
or -4 AC, 48 HP, Pickpocket, 99% Stealth, 65% magic res, 60% Find Traps.

Cats are Chaotic Neutral - with the way Belkar has been acting recently maybe he had alignment shift and that's why Fluffy is hanging around?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

crime fighting hog posted:

In 1st and 2nd edition, the longer lived races like Elf and Dwarf eventually experienced a limit cap on certain classes, like an Elf could only become, max, a level 12 wizard. This was to explain that the reason the entire universe isn't ruled by level 100 elderly elves is because they hit some inexplicable wall of knowledge and never move past it.

Humans didn't have this. Human supremacy.

I believe in 1st edition basic the elf could only be the equivalent of a fighter/mage, and limited to level 9(?). Dual classes weren't invented then - you couldn't choose a race and a class, the class determined the race. 'Elf' and 'Halfling' WERE classes.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

rex monday posted:

Tarquin's class: All Of It

Also, Xykon would not think of Tarquin. He is a full progression spell caster in a world using 3.5 and Tarquin is not. They are on different planes of existence when it comes to power. Sad but true.

Is there anything a fighter can do against an equally high level wizard? Any equipment stacking that might work, or a prestige class that gives some protection against mazes and time stops?

I was looking through some epic skills and there seemed to be a cohort skill which would give someone like Tarquin a few thousand low level shock troops to throw at Xykon in a '1 on 1', which could be handy in wasting at least some of Xykons spells. I remeber greater whirlwind being able to gib nearly anything in one hit in BG2, but thats not 3.5...

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
I can see him gunning straight for the blood war.

There might still be a possibility for vampirism, looking less likely because of the public nature of arena combat.

One thing I didn't really understand about the afterlife and planeshifting and stuff is how death actually works. For instance, a group of evil adventurers bumped into Roy on the Celestial Mountain in the outer planes. Gods can come to the material plane, and demons like Sabine can travel from what I guess is Baator or the Abyss. Powerful demons can make deals with V across the planes and attach the souls of dead wizards to her to increase her power.

From what I understand, once someone dies their soul usually goes to the outer planes to one of the 12 afterlife destinations (based on their alignment) What's to stop a powerful mage from just plane shifting back to the material world if they die? Or to have a group plane shift over and pull them out of hell?

Also, one thing that was sort of unclear about planescape torment - in the endgame the Nameless One is so powerful that he's like a baby god - and then merges with his mortality which is also stupidly powerful. When you wake up on that battlefield and join the blood war you've already defeated the best the Hells have to offer - couldn't he just fight his way back to one of those portals to Sigil and be all like 'hey guys, just had to make a detour there'. I guess this does happen in Baldurs Gate with Saverok though, so maybe it's a uncommon but possible thing.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Cool, thanks for the explainations on the whole death thing, makes it a lot clearer.

Vampire seems the most likely of the undead, but would it be possible he could be raised as a wraith/ghost/death knight and maintain his character? Ala http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0465.html maybe.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Have we seen Thog since Azure city was overrun? With all the boating/rebellion/thieves guild/searching in the desert stuff it could have been half a year at least.

Also it looks like Belkar won't be dying in the Arena unless they have an inpromptu free-for-all or riot, he's not scheduled to fight until next week. :(

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Cuchulain posted:

You can totally steal someone else's body permanently in 3.5

However, that's a Necromancy thing, which Illusionists are normally barred from doing.

He was worse then that, he was a Paladin in a setting that had no magic. He was effectively a lovely fighter without any feats. Dude was still badass though. I read those books back in middle school, I was thinking I should read them again. I only hope I don't hate them this time and ruin my nostalgia.

Pretty sure it was written before 3rd edition and before feats were introduced. There was definitely magic, no holy magic though because the gods abandoned them. If he'd managed to live another few books he might have started gaining the paladin abilities from Paladine he didn't have previously.

Come to think of it did the modern popularization of the word paladin come about from Dragonlance/Paladine? From wiki Charlemagne had a couple as bodyguards but it's not a common title.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
I had a theory that the monster in the dark was going to be an overpowered monster for the first dungeon, but by the time that they finally reveal him he will be an average or below encounter for the characters at their current level. But he seems to have a few powers such as the teleport and knocking Miko around that say otherwise.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

HKR posted:

Tarquin has many dead wives

All killed by Malack prehaps? It would create some extra drama and betrayal further down the track. Maybe marriage makes Tarquin go soft and distracts him, while his old aventuring buddy still wants to take over world.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
So what happens to the now masterless undead hordes she's been raising over the last year? Do they all crumble to dust, go crazy, or follow their last orders given?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
So, were Haley and Red supposed to be related to draketooth clan (what with the red hair and all, friends in the desert reference, etc)?

If so, would the Cloister spell and the antimagic zone prison have protected them against the familicide spell?

Usually with the AOE spells the save is easier than direct target spells, therefore with a spell with an AOE of this scope maybe relatively minor protections (or other epic magic in the case of Cloister) could effectively hide them from the spell?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
I'm pretty sure a happy ending for Elan has to involve him and Roy becoming half brothers and hanging out for eternity, or at least till the epilogue. I wouldn't call it a happy ending for Roy but i reckon he'll survive.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Trying to think of what else Durkon could do for his next turn - if he dropped a blade barrier down the corridor they'd be in a lot of trouble. It'd be like doubling the amount of traps, plus they'd have to escape while mostly blind and deaf.

Any other spells that he could cast that would be particularly appropriate to this situation?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Roy sort of got killed, or at least had 0 hitpoints outside and had to be healed by Durkon as well.

At least they have Tarquin's axe now, maybe he won't be so impossible to defeat? Although the only one that could use it would be Durkon (assuming he is allowed to use axes - are clerics still bound by the whole 'no cutting edges' rule in 3.5?).

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

LightWarden posted:

Slaad are also product identity and not released as open content, so Rich can't use them outside of a joke.

I'm curious as to what sort of things Malak is using to block the sunlight. Also, his speech bubble changed color to Xykon's. While I suspect Belkar will enjoy the power, I wonder if he'll have any problems with his normal hedonistic lifestyle. While vampires aren't the same as liches when it comes to physiology, the line about savoring his cake could indicate that he's more like Xykon.

He does enjoy eating kobold flavoured chips, so maybe he will like the taste of blood and flesh too. Pretty sure vampires generally crave that stuff.

Can't wait for the Malack and Belkar master/slave antics once he's turned.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Protection from Evil seems like it would be a nice first level cleric spell which would help out here immensely (although maybe a bit cheap given the stakes in this conflict). It's going back to basics a bit but it seems like he should make this a permanent effect on Belkar for all future fights. It's a proper cleric anti-vamp magic (probably the only reason the spell even exists).

Are there any other semi useless low level cleric spells that are actually super useful against vampires specifically?

Goffer fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 1, 2013

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Will Thor be upset about / excommunicate a vampire worshipper? He might be the kind of god that wouldn't care too much as long as there is a lot of fighting and lightning, but he sort of seems like a good god.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Colonel Cool posted:

The interesting bit is that the prophecy about Durkon specifically said "he will bring death and destruction for us all".

Guess what Nergal's the god of.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html

The wording is quite similar.

Also Thor's hammer is the smoosher of evil, which might not work out too well for certain characters.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

greatn posted:

1d4 days after burial no less, which could be a while.

They're already in a tomb, you could say he is buried already...

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

My Lovely Horse posted:

I am an IRL wizard and more than capable of deciphering these runes.

"no secret message" :v:

Hiragana? I am terrible at it and cannot read it at all, but it looks familiar.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Or Z.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Or Belkar manages to kill the snarl and gets a bazillion xp, promoting him to godhood instantly.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Buried in rubble may not be a concern if there is an ensuing explosion at the end which turns the pyramid into a crater. Alternatively disintegrate can be used to tunnel pretty effectively, and V always carries around a few of those.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Ever since hitting the desert Nale has been going through a lot of characterization and development, from the improvised first fight to losing Sabine, to this. He's really starting to grow on me, Rich has put in a lot of effort to make him a lot more relatable.

Instead of just being an insipid douche now everything is being driven with desperation and emotion. I like it.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hmm, that is interesting in malack's case. Does his intial "live" soul go somewhere, or would the "vampiric" soul go to Nergal?

Not sure about D&D specifically but I know a fair few vampire/undead lore systems have a 'redemption in death', where the soul is finally at peace. Putting their soul to rest, as it was. Unless they voluntarily opted to be a vampire, but then that's probably going to make them evil to begin with.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Dolash posted:

I'm guessing Durkon's evil will mostly manifest in ruthlessness to opposition as well as a vindictive, vengeful streak against the people who exiled him from his home.

I don't recall, have we ruled out the possibility that Belkar will die here then be raised as a vampire by Durkon? That might allow the whole original party to continue on to the last gate together.

I'm still holding out that Belkar will kill the Snarl and be skyrocketed to godhood(sexy and shoeless).

Otherwise I can see Durkon feeding on Belkar each day and then restoring all the stat drain with a restoration spell. I don't think he's going to turn Belkar (2 vamps in the party would be a bit overkill).

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Or alternatively Tarquin is working for the fiends as well, and knows how it was going to play out. Kind of makes me wonder if the Dark one is working with the fiends, is a fiend, or if the leader of the goblin army is in league with them.

There are two gates open, one with a goblin army at it's door, another with a dinosaur army. Is the actual plan some kind of evil invasion plan?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
^^ or summon a montage to get them to dusk sooner.

Does anyone know what skills Belkar likely took? He has cooking, and probably a fair number of points into bluff/intimidation, but would he have hide/parry? As a ranger he should probably be able to hide/camouflage to avoid a lot of the combat, but he might also be able to survive a lot longer by parrying his way out (with opposed combat rolls against level 1 fighters he should probably win every time.)

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Y'all wrong it's obvious mr scruffy is really a shapechanged silver dragon. He will show his true form to belkar at midnight in the woods, they will make sweet love and the next day they will sacrifice themselves in the final battle. It's how these stories always work.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Captain Oblivious posted:

If they thought in such a short term, backstab-at-a-moments-notice manner, they never would have gotten this far to begin with.

There's literally no evidence to support "Laurin wants to kill Tarquin" at this moment. Doesn't mean it's not possible, but there's no evidence for it yet.

Maybe not want to kill him, but from my impression Laurin is a little sick of Tarquin's games. Like they're there to entertain the least powerful member of the party. Sounds like they're happy in retirement.

It's sort of like that guy at the party that talks the big talk, but once you get him amongst his peers you find out he's just the whipping boy.

Goffer fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 23, 2013

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Who What Now posted:

Yes, exactly. And undead are "alive" with Negative Energy in the exact same way a body is alive with Positive Energy. A body with neither form of energy is just an inert corpse.

Too much Positive Energy is also bad. If you're on the Positive Energy Plane you regain lost HP. And once that is filled you start accruing Temporary Hit Points. And once you have twice as many Temp HP as you do regular HP then you literally explode.

So self flagellation is actually a good thing for mortals on the positive plane? I like that it sort of inverts what it means to die.

Although it does open a can of worms about HP being health as opposed to luck or endurance or fate.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Pope Guilty posted:

Buffyverse vampires are literally not the people they were when they were alive- it's explained in I think season 1 that the animating consciousness of a vampire is a demon that has the memories of a human being while that person's soul moves on to where-ever souls go. Of course, the show conveniently forgets this whenever it wants some drama- people who perfectly well know better keep getting mad at Angel for things the demon does or did with his body while his soul wasn't in it.

Actually they are the same people, it's a lie perpetuated by the watchers to allow the slayers to kill without having moral dilemmas. Angel reveals this in one of the later episodes.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
According to the original source hobbits halflings live around 150-200 years, so it's a potential thing that could happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Dolash posted:

Yeah, that's like the opposite of conceited. He's confessing he's ethically too overwhelmed by the implications to pass judgement and is focusing mostly on what he can do in the here and now to do as much good as possible. The particular point about how his dad killed someone on accident but never really acknowledged responsibility or tried to make amends is worth mentioning, since it actually pretty much does apply to all their moral dilemmas at the moment - they've got a world to save, after all, and both V and Durkon are still assets they can use to get the job done. They can work out the exact moral consequences afterward.

Roy isn't talking about his dad killing someone the reason Roy is a warrior is because Roy killed his kid brother with magic, and has stayed away from it ever since.

Goffer fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 11, 2014