Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I don't like giving hasbro money for constantly making materials outdated, so I'm still stuck on 3rd ed.

That being said, Dungeons and Dragons is a game that exists entirely in the minds of the players, thus the fewer times you have to make dice rolls or go to the source books for things, the better you're doing as a DM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Danzou posted:

Wait, what IS that necklace, anyway? Have we seen it mentioned before?

What gate?

:mitdsay:

The amulet has been adressed as a plot point like 5 times now.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
What if its worse than that and he's lawful good. We've never seen jirix do anything evil, have we?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

greatn posted:

That is one broken spell, did none of them get a saving throw?

A. It took down dragons handily, so no.
B. It was the most powerful spell of an epic necromancer who was stayed to be substantially more powerful than 2 other epic casters. "no save" seems like a plausible modifier.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Permanency+ lesser contengency. Subject to DM will, but a simple direct resolution with a small xp cost. Not outside reason.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Pyrolocutus posted:

To take a little break from the discussion for actual content, Rich just sent out another Kickstarter update if any of you didn't notice. The man's a beast :stare:

I think you mean that he's a magical beast. But seriously, that is an awesome mule. It just looks so serious.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I don't mind the fake new posts. I do feel bad for rich, though, he's had an unusable hand for a month. That seems unbearable.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Cat Mattress posted:

The irony being that the rust monster was based on some cheap plastic toy Gary Gygax found in a bag of "dinosaurs". The bulette, owlbear, and carrion crawler came from there too.

Wow, I owned these exact toys as a child. I never realized they were rust monsters.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

sfwarlock posted:

Does 3.5 still have that rule where if you change alignment you need to earn double XP for the next level?

That isn't a rule I ever heard of. Which means it was probably dropped in the transition from 2.0 to 3.0

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
So belkar is entitled to a new save every round, right? We've ever seen him make a will save successfully, but he expressly said he was raging. Malack doesn't seem like the kind to beat around the bush either. If he's going to kill Belkar, he'll pull a harm/quickened cause wounds next round.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

NihilCredo posted:

Well for the same reason I think we can assume that if he wanted to kill Belkar he'd have used a save-or-die spell already (plenty of Will-based ones, too).

I'm thinking we might see Belkar ironically compelled into trap-finding duty, or some other highly unpleasant task Malack may need.

If he could pull straight-up save-or-die, he would've done so on Nale. If you mean first round harm/cause, Belkar has a better touch AC and is better at spell disruption, fortitude saves, and melee combat than nale. The way it looks is that Malack had a readied action to hold person if Belkar did anything violent, recognizing a weakness for will saves. Just a guess though.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

LightWarden posted:

So, if anyone cares about the whole legal wrangling regarding Rusty & Co, the details are here.

So he got hassled for copying for the form of a creature that WOTC copied from a dinosaur toy(presumably without permission)? Is WOTC as bad as games workshop now?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Idran posted:

TSR copied it, WotC just inherited it. But even then, rust monsters are OGL anyway, it was a silly C&D even if the design had been original.

Not really. OGL applies to game-mechanics content, and they specifically mentioned when they released it that it didn't apply to art assets, flavor text, and, bizzarely, how to level up. That art assets point would be grounds for harassing this poor guy, save for the fact that the thing was copied in the first place.

I don't think most people ever really read what the OGL said, though.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

ZnCu posted:

I was pretty depressed about it at the start. But then I Googled the name of the WOTC lawyer and found out part of her job appears to be sending C&Ds to bronies who sell custom pony toys with strategically placed holes.

That's not hyperbole. If you Google image search her name, most of the hits are neon plastic horse ladyparts.

So clearly she's already in Hell, and that made me feel better.

If degenerates on the internet can't sexualize a line of children's products, what freedoms do we really have left?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Arrrrrg, how could I miss the obvious forshadowing of who would kill Belkar. It shoulda been obvious as soon as we met malack:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html

Look at what Roy says. Just look.

Edit: posting from phone sucks.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Nenonen posted:

It is foreshadowing for the fact that Belkar will die. Malack is not bony nor holds a big scythe so it is unrelated to his killer.

He is pretty bony, but you're right about him not having a scythe. He worships a god of death, and my guess was that a spiritual weapons will be involved.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Nenonen posted:

Or maybe, just maybe, it's not actually foreshadowing and you guys are imagining it as such because of coincidental features.

That would be a pretty good argument 3 comics ago. Now it seems pretty likely Belkar is going to die from Malack. I mean, I guess Xykon also is boney and wears a black robe, which is the obvious alternative as far as Roy's metaphor went.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Toussaint Louverture posted:

So, uh, now the party is minus one cleric. That's kinda a problem.

Rule as DM: if you want a TPK, target the cleric. If you want a fight to drag on forever, kill the arcane casters.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah, unless Durkon is both free-willed and still intent on helping the OotS, I guess their best chance is probably for Tarquin & co. to run into Xykon's party and either derail or at least soften them up.

(Though to be fair, I wasn't really seeing them having a chance against "handily defeats epic wizards" Xykon in the first place, as opposed to "lets himself be beheaded and thrown by a bare-handed fighter" Xykon.)

Even lich casters don't have much defense against sunder attempts and grapple checks. A fighter half his level could easily do that.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

MikeJF posted:

Hey, does D&D have any non-Evil death gods? Cycle of Life just letting it come naturally and all that?

3.5 only
Ostensibly wee jas is lawful neutral, though she tends to lean a little evil. Forgotten realms had kelemvor who started trying to be a good death god, hosed that up, and decided to be lawful neutral instead.

Edit: you guys are fast.

ikanreed fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 6, 2013

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Ursine Asylum posted:

In like one of the first 20 comics, yeah. Also Belkar's dagger magically shrunk because they moved to the 3.5 ruleset and they had 3 or 4 jokes played "straight" about missing listen/spot checks on ninja hordes and 20 foot tall chimeras.

It does make me wonder if Rich is ever going to retcon that first dungeon adventure, given that it's "unserious gag a day D&D jokes" bracketed on both sides with "serious drama with occasional pokes at D&D rulesets".

Don't be silly. Stories have to start somewhere, and you can't have a 3 dimensional character on page 1 of a novel, much less a comic. Making dumb jokes about the rules is part of the world-building of the series. It's indirect characterization of the setting as being a place where skill-points matter, and common-sense less so. The fact that those characteristics aren't the most important thing going on in the setting takes a while to properly establish.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Mystic Mongol posted:

The poorly formatted masterlist of misapplying stat bonuses!

Soooooo.... no, not easily. You can, but almost all of the ways which are any good (not great... good) are hidden inside of prestige classes. Take, for example, Insightful Dodge, which lets Roy substitute his int for his dex for reflex checks... even if they're 14 and 8 respectively, that's only a +3, one better than lightning reflexes, and dex is Roy's dump stat. Ironically, a feat that would let him add his int bonus to his reflex checks would be even less useful, because while his mental stats may be unusually high, he's not going to spend time, effort, and treasure boosting them over, say, strength.

Roy really should be collecting prestige classes like pogs. Or better yet, get his grubby mitts on a wish somehow and use it to turn all those useless levels from fighter into something thematically appropriate but mechanically robust, like Swordsage.

That would be acknowledging his dad as right about fighters. I think he'd rather go undead to make his build work than change classes.

Topical.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

CapnAndy posted:

Belkar is legitimately upset and doesn't feel worthy of Durkon's sacrifice.

I guess he forgot to just fake the character growth.

Everything seems serious when you're down 5 HP a level and level drained.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

sfwarlock posted:

Going back a few strips, Durkon did offer to Resurrect Malack ... foreshadowing perhaps for his eventual fate?

Yeah, well the idea I heard most here before undead durkon was that when he went back to his beloved dwarven homeland, it would be for a true res from the high priest of thor.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

DoctorTristan posted:

Aren't there still a few sides in this conflict that we haven't seen yet? Didn't one of the roaches say there were nine?

I count 8.
Oots, saphire guard, girard(dead so maybe not), tarquin, nale, fiends, xykon, goblins.

Maybe MITD counts too? It's not really on xykon's side any more than the goblins are.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Alchenar posted:

You forgot Sereni. But I'm sure there's another.

To be a side, one has to have distinct opposition to at least one other side. Given the stakes, every one of the sides I listed would absolutely oppose the others. Sereni was not shown to oppose anyone. She dropped some monsters and left. She will be back and at superepic levels, given that even those that stopped adventuring were epic. But that doesn't mean she'll be a side. She might just fall in with another group that fits with her feelings without a distinct goal of her own.

She was the only member of the scribble whose tragic flaw we never saw too. Who knows what that means.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Hmm, the lich template specifically says a lich can cast any spells it could when alive, but the vampire template does not.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

greatn posted:

I'm pretty sure Holy affects any non-Good actually.

It's like we are 870 strips ago again. "Does unholy blight affect neutral characters?" "sorta." "What about V?" "The joke is that he's evil, stop overthinking it".

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

terminal mehmet posted:

Removed what? The XP requirement?

Yes. Because its a colossal hassles to track. Doesn't matter though. V mentioned scrolls cost xp in this world.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I just realized that xykon will discover the double cross by dying. He will respawn next to redcloak and not in his pocket dimension.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

ShadowCatboy posted:

Hmmm I think there may be more credence to the theory that Haley's dad is related to the Draketooth clan now. Considering the fact that he was being held in an anti-magic field when V's familicide spell went down, he and Haley would've been protected from harm.

poo poo, I can't wait to see how stuff goes down now if that's the case. :)

Then what's your excuse for hailey herself?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

sebmojo posted:

Burlew sometimes gets stick for not being very PC, but Belkar as actual sex god never fails to crack me up.

I'm rather sure I don't understand what lead to this comment. What?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Pope Guilty posted:

I think you need a Charisma of 1 to be able to distinguish the rest of the world from yourself, and that's basically all Klansmen are good at.

That's pretty much the defining personality characteristic of beholders, supremely precise racism.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

el burbo posted:

Well technically, the Linear Guild are unwitting pawns for the Fiends.

edit: Didn't Sabine mention her "employers" at one point?

I don't think she mentioned them, but she did visit them.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
To everyone asking if they can chop up their time. It doesn't matter if they can. They won't because it's not narratively satisfying to have to do bookkeeping to anticipate what's going to happen. 3's come up in stories a lot because they set patterns, that can then be broken, feared, anticipated, whatever, on the third one. It's also quite clear that the last one will be 3 minutes and 6 seconds(31 rounds?)

As to the fiends betraying each other and rich's view of villians as people with motivations, you have to remember that archfiends represent fundamental distinctions in the very idea of morality. It is cosmically necessary that their coalition fall apart, as soon as one side has something to gain over the others.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Okay, as someone who's never had an opportunity to actually play DnD, can someone please explain to me this concept of negative hit points? I mean, if hit points are basically your health, and you have 0, then you're effectively dead, right? What's left to take away? I just don't understand.

HP actually represents not your health, but your survivability to danger, that's why experience increases it. Not everything that does damage does damage to you. It represents a chance you might be hurt. 0 HP, instead of being dead, is where you are no longer able to handle any more, that manifests as unconsciousness, and no matter your level, represents being perilously close to dead.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

The Rooster posted:

In fact, there wouldn't even be a need for a D&D parody comic if it weren't for the inherent contradictions and nonsensical stuff within the system.

At least there wouldn't be much to work with.

I would like to say that it's not the dumb rules that drive the parody OOTS has of D&D, but the cliches, and their subversion. But that's starting to sound a little too :tvtropes:, so I'll stop while I'm ahead.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Colonel Cool posted:

I love how regularly we're updating again.

Yep, I'm not even worried about Rich's health at all now.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Cabbit posted:

Charisma's pretty obviously his drop stat. The dude is abrasive as all hell.

Abrasive in ways that eventually end up with talking people into what he wants. With the exceptions of Belkar, the villains, his father, and Miko, is there anyone in this comic that didn't end up respecting Roy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Pope Guilty posted:

I think Tarquin might finally decide Nale's outlived his usefulness.

Yeah. But at the same time, he wants to be impressed by his children.