Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Amused Frog posted:

we're all hosed

This is news to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

JustV posted:

I'm fine with it. After all, who's the villain that only cares about Halley and Elan?

And who's his constant traveling companion with a love of ice cream and puppies?

except they said they don't need Haley...

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Affi posted:

The evil gods are kinda sorta on the dark ones side though. I bet the oracle wasn't there because Xykon would've killed him and trapped his soul.

it was rat and tiamat that told the dark one of the snarl in the first place

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

V. Illych L. posted:

I think you all are missing something vital in his character here - he hasn't actually told anyone a lie since we met him, as far as I can understand. Bent the truth, sure, let people infer things that weren't true from his statements, absolutely, but outright lie? I don't think he's done that. So when he outright says that he's cool with helping Elan and co save the world, chances are he really means it and isn't just going to backstab them.

Of course he's fine with letting them save the world he has to live in it until he lets Elan finally finish him.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Affi posted:

How high do you figure the Kickstarter will go? I mean its still a whole (almost) month until we see the end. Is 300k possible?

I'll be surprised if it doesn't reach 300k before the end of the weekend

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Theler posted:

We actually know that Belkar has less than 7 weeks to live thanks to what Roy says here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html

I am not sure how much time has passed since then but at least a few weeks. So that's how we know his death is soon, likely in this confrontation.

Well its been long enough for Haley's hair to grow back so I'm guessing the 7 weeks are almost up

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

CapnAndy posted:

Haley grew her hair back magically. No dice.

Did she? I haven't reread the latest arc all the way through for a while.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Comedy option: he gets an Ioun Stone of breath lodged in his windpipe and chokes to death.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

jng2058 posted:

And yeah, I think we can take it as given that V in particular is being a dick/oval office about it. And justifiably so what with the "tried to kill him" thing.

well s/hes not genocideing his entire family so ... you know ... progress.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Colon V posted:

You know, thinking on it, Roy would actually make a very good Iron Heart/Stone Dragon Warblade with very little changing about his combat style except he'd suddenly be far more dangerous.

I think that was the point of the joke in snips.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Javid posted:

Them being just distant enough to escape the spell would not be out of sorts.

Yeah but then more of the family members at the pyramid would have survived.

Dedhed posted:

Dorukan
You think disappearing 6 months prior to the first book is natural causes? SoD spoiler Xykon killed him and soul trapped him in a gem with Lirian

Edit:
Also if girard was part dragon like people are suggesting he would have a longer lifespan so could still be alive, even without epic level magic, whichis likely to have kept Dorukan alive.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 25, 2012

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

CapnAndy posted:

Dramatically, it makes the most sense if Serini is the only Scribble member that the Order of the Stick actually gets to meet. Anyone who was there is gong to be able to answer a lot of questions, and that'll probably get held off until the finale.

Yeah but even if the party meets Girard then its incredibly unlikely even if they get in his good books that he will answer their questions.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Its the stronghold of a clan which was founded by an epic level illusionist why the hell are you all taking things at face value?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
lets go back to the description of the spell [url=http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0640.html=here[/url] so we know it targets ANY creature that is part of the targets blood line and then on to all their blood relatives and there it stops notice V doesn't say anything along the lines of 'and so on and so on'.

OK lets say the draketooth dragon is a first cousin of V's dragon it will still be a blood relation to that dragon so it get targeted in the first wave as do its descendants since they ALSO share the originals blood albeit to a smaller percentage, now then this would then rebound to the blood relations of the primary targets, the mothers and fathers, siblings and blood cousins of the draketooth children in this instance and stop there.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

farraday posted:

You should not need annotated family trees to figure this out.

just in case some one does

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Cliff Racer posted:

So Anel is what, True Neutral?

yep according to the strip

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0812.html

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Theres also the possibility that the connection is on Haley's mothers side, which would protect Ian, and then were down to cloister protecting Haley and since epic must defeat epic it fits.

God V would turn suicidal if s/he learned how close he was to murdering their best friend.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I don't know s/he always seemed close to Haley, after all s/he didn't push theirself so to find Roy's corpse or Belkar, s/he wanted to prove magic is as powerful as s/he thinks it is by finding Haley, and if you have read OoTPCs then is shows that V and Haley were friend before they joined the party and V only joined up a her insistence

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Cliff Racer posted:

Did Roy remember the Oracle's prediction, though? Everything in the afterlife is a blur to him.

Yes everything IN the afterlife is a blur the time spent on the material plane and at the view from above is still clear.

edit
Really should refresh before posting

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
The thing is that is almost exactly how V described it before s/he cast the spell just minus their usual flowery speech, and a few elaborations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

NihilCredo posted:

That also assumes that we're not in a world where one side's cleric turn undead and cast Holy Smite and the other side's rebuke them and cast Unholy Blight. Or for that matter, where there is such a spell as Detect Evil (and Detect Good).

yes but in the OOTS universe the 'evil' humanoids are only evil because the god created them so their clerics could level up by killing them

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Bobulus posted:

The Dresden Files RPG does something neat along the lines of what Vorgen's talking about.

It has a willpower/humanity number for each character called refresh level that's basically your control over your own character's actions. Buying new awesome character skills (or taking inhuman skills if your character is some sort of half-vampire or something) is deducted from this number, and it also can be temporarily spent to improve dice rolls and resist in-character temptations.

The main thing is that if you end up as something non-mortal (represented by that number hitting 0), you automatically become an NPC, because your character is no longer capable of making choices. They basically have to follow their non-mortal nature, so the GM is going to run them as they were a monster.

(I'm simplifying this, but I mainly bring it up because I figure RPG talk isn't unwelcome in the OotS thread)

That said, the Goblins in OotS can make choices, so they're capable of changing their nature.
Though to be fair the dresden files setting as a whole is more or less the complete opposite of his argument.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

LightWarden posted:

:words:
OK that giant wall of text means its way past time for everyone to stop sperging about alignment.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

RentACop posted:

Seriously it's best not to put much thought into Familicide's mechanics, Burlew certainly didn't

yes he did

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Pakled posted:

I just started following this thread and was worried that that sort of discussion was typical of this thread :v:

Oh it is

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ashenai posted:

I don't think we knew for sure she was a succubus; she could have been an Erinyes, which are female winged devils. This was the whole point of that strip where Haley shot her with a cold iron and a silver arrow at the same time, and was frustrated at not knowing which one hurt her (cold iron hurts demons, silver hurts devils.)

yes but when it was revealed that she worked for the archfiends it was also revealed that she was a succubus working for the Lawful evil archfiend

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I for one am happy living in a world when both OOTS and Eberron exist although I would be better off financially it they didn't

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Colon V posted:

I thought it was pretty clear that Durkon was exiled to never return, because it was stated in a prophecy that his return would cause some massive upheaval/civil war, and so when he returns posthumously, a world-saving hero and faithful of Thor having been exiled until his death for no reason, it'll cause a massive upheaval/civil war.

He wasn't exiled for no reason, he was exiled because his return will herald upheaval in the dwarven lands.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Umbra Dubium posted:

Does the fact that Durkon used the Mass- version of the spell mean Malack can't turn him now either? (Or Mister Scruffy?)

Quite possibly.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

This is an RPG-Rules universe though. Simply being undead makes Malack Something Evil Rules-As-Written.

It's a pretty stupid rule.

Well no, they'll ping as evil no matter their alignment, in the same way that Xykon's crown made Roy seem evil, but only mindless undead HAVE to be evil.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

inthesto posted:

I don't believe we've ever seen him use Divine Favor .

We literally just did.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Does Redcloak even have that mentality anymore? The goblinoids have a reasonably stable home nation - At the beginning of SoD, Redcloak waxes poetic about the need for an equal goblin homeland, on par with the dwarves and elves. "There's only one thing we need, brother; a level playing field. If we get that, and fail to build utopia, then we deserve whatever Fate bestows upon us." But now Redcloak is abandoning the goblin homeland, in order to continue on with the insane, spirit-of-the-goblins-killing, petty and spiteful Plan. Right-eye and Xykon were both right - Redcloak isn't in this for the betterment of goblins, he's in it because of his own pride, shame, and inability to own up to his own actions. He's the classical tragic figure - Fate is going to take his flaw, and use it to ruin an entire people. I agree with you that Jirix was turning away from Xykon and Redcloak - but Jirix is the one who actually gives a poo poo about the goblinoid people, not Redcloak.

Also, while I was rereading SoD I remembered that Redcloak still has a niece out there somewhere. I can't wait to see how that Chekhov's gun goes off.

Plus theres the fact that the unlevel playing field is baked into the world just having a nation isn't going to change the fact that goblinoids exist solely for clerics and druids to gain exp

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Voyager I posted:

stacking feats for huge damage on mounted charges

:syoon: one of my first D&D characters was a paladin built on these lines.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Message posted:

obligation or duty

He will still be lawful as hell though. Pun intended

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Plus the fact that we've seen on multiple occasions from both Ian and Haley that the only people they trust are family, a point of view you'ld expect if Ian was raised in a secret clan of illusionist part dragons.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
The gate in the elven lands was destroyed first.
e: beaten though I think the time gap between the destruction of the eleven gate and the start of the story is a little too long for the idea to be plausable.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 4, 2013

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Phenotype posted:

Does anyone really wish they weren't so invested in the drat story already? It really bothers me that I'm supporting a guy who can't get off his rear end to produce at least a single strip every week. Even if he's working on some Kickstater fulfillment stuff, it doesn't seem to be asking too much for a guy who makes his living off of writing a comic strip to actually produce a comic strip on a regular basis. (Or, just not offer Kickstarter rewards that require the strip to suffer while he works on them.) Hell, you're not even allowed to mention the fact on his forums. Is there some reason Rich still has a fan base, and not just a ton of people wondering why he's such a lazy sack of poo poo?

The answers simple don't read it you entitled piece of poo poo.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

LightWarden posted:

Chuuls aren't outsiders so they're not something you can normally summon using spells. Mezzoloth was mentioned earlier, and Piscoloth is another option.

D&D has a fair amount of evil lobster monsters.

Fiendish Chuul.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

sebmojo posted:

Yep, but IIRC only as part of a joke to say he wouldn't be drawing any more beholders (as they're part of 'Product Identity' and not covered by the OGL.)

Re the Tarrasque, rpg.net had one of its periodically brilliant setting riffs on a city built around the Tarrasque and ways it might be extrapolated. Pinioned on huge Adamantium pikes, perpetually flensed for its ever-regenerating flesh, the population addicted to its magical blood. It's pretty cool.

And if I recall someone extrapolated that situation for the populace to start mutating gaining some of the traits of the terrasque, becoming more aggressive more bestial and gaining a minor regeneration becoming trolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Archenteron posted:

Haley's Icy Burst bow is also +4 or +5, isn't it? And even if the crits don't work, she can still set it todo a bit of extra cold damage each attack to help plink through.

Though its not unthinkable for a silicon elemental to have a cold resistence.