Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TremendousMajestic posted:

Speaking of old rules, what was the justification in 2nd ed for getting xp from found magic items?

That was first ed as well.

I believe it was an outgrowth of money for xp - you could sell the item and get the cash, or keep it and get (a lot less) xp.

And money for xp was the rule we always ditched when we played back in the 80s, but in retrospect it was sort of key. Get in - get out - get rich is the old school way, getting the maximum reward for the minimum risk. So any fight that could be avoided by trickery, negotiation, or stealth should be - since the xp reward for monsters was minimal compared to what you'd get from treasure.

The trouble with money for xp, of course, is it relies on having a good GM to really work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NihilCredo posted:

I actually agree with DMBFan23, it feels pretty lame to be all looking forward to (for example) an epic rematch of V vs. ZZdtri, only to then have V knocked out of the stage through a fairly contrived sequence of events ("Our verbose and stoic wizard suddenly screams and runs away in an epic-level pyramid that we know is trapped to hell and back? Ah, no worries, he's probably just taking a bit of fresh air outside, it's perfectly OK to have a party member walk around alone in this adventure." :rolleyes:)

Reading back through the thread - V falling into the pit is possibly the least satisfying plot development of the whole series. It's such a transparent way of fiddling the scales, and having it as a random coincidence is very cheap.

It's a minor thing, but it stands out because Rich is normally so good at making up clever developments from known events or lampshading obvious plot-dickery.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Alchenar posted:

I thought (and still think) it was fairly natural thing to happen; V panics, runs off into a dungeon created by an epic illusionist and pays the price. V also has a really good reason to panic, he/she has had a paradigm shattering realisation over the consequences of their actions.

To a point. The uncharacteristically emotional reaction was well done and appropriate. And, yeah, trap-filled dungeon.

But this is about the fifth time Rich has had to come up with a reason why V can't be around to fix the encounter, and it's getting a bit obvious. I wouldn't be surprised if it's lampshaded later on, as he's very sharp on that kind of thing.

quote:

The Linear Guild showing up immediately afterwards is what feels a bit unsatisfying to me - we knew that they were going to be showing up fairly soon after The Order found the Gate, but the fact that they showed up literally before The Order actually managed to do anything suggests that Rich didn't have anything for them to do.

I didn't mind that so much as the interplay is funny, and there's a couple of shoes waiting to drop. Plus - they didn't achieve anything but it's still nice seeing them working as a competent group.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 11, 2012

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Danzou posted:

These are fun characters. I love Malack blowing off Nale.

Is there any chance of Varsuuvius saving herself from the pit, or has this clinched her out of the battle?

What I don't get is - what's Varsuvius' actual status? In rules terms? Either he's under zero hits, (in which case he's dying - unlikely), or subject to an incapacitating effect (spell/poison, no indication that this is the case), or at exactly zero hits (which gives you consciousness and a single action via a bizarre little rule).

Falling down pits in 3.5 doesn't knock you unconscious.

It's the first plot development I've really not liked in the strip, since it's so transparently to keep V out of the fight. So this is rules-nerd gravy on my disgruntlement steak.

Edit: Unless - subdual damage putting him under zero? Would that do it? But falling damage is lethal! INSUPPORTABLE, MR BURLEW

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Colon V posted:

He could have gone into negatives, but made her stabilization roll. Unlikely, but definitely not impossible, especially with some minor DM Fiat.

Is stabilisation a 3.5 rule? It's in 4e, but it's been a while... let's see: Oh, right. Didn't know that, thanks.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LightWarden posted:

I fully expect these two to be close allies for life. It's something Rich has discussed before. Part of Nale's characterization is that he and Tarqin don't get alone, and now we know that Tarqin is far more impressed with Elan.

Oh, great catch. I read all those articles years ago when he was still under strip 100, I must go back and reread them. It's neat how much of the characterisation in OOTS they hint at.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I am in New Zealand and bought the full slate of books - nothing yet, but I'm being calm like a motherfucker.

I'll give it... three weeks.

Then my calmness will commence to getting frayed.

Until then.

Calm.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Baron von der Loon posted:

I found my copy of $25 pledge in the mailbox yesterday... twice. Not sure what happened, but I got everything double: the coloring book, the notepads, the fridge magnets, everything.

Not sure what went wrong, but I feel kinda bad now. :smith:

Send it on, dude. Spread the love. I'm sure there's someone out there who'd love to have the spare :)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RentACop posted:

Looking back on it, this comic has a lot of arcs that are boring as hell to read when they aren't in book form and you can just power through it. It's more noticable after the paladin-boogaloo.

It is kind of funny, how people were calling Xykon a villain-sue before and then Tarquin arrives to show how it's really done (To be clear I quite like Tarquin, but goddamn)

I'd be surprised if Tarquin didn't get a big reversal some time soon. Maybe via V and the three fiends, since they're probably due to make an appearance (<= official prediction marker for bragging rights in vanishingly unlikely case this happens).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ponsonby Britt posted:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0854.html

I bet the imp is popping back in from the Lower Planes, where it was making sure everything is ready to take control of V. It makes perfect narrative sense, as well - this is the second-to-last gate, so it has to be the second-to-last climax for our protagonists. All the secondary antagonists have to be dealt with, so that the final battle is a pure showdown between the Order, Xykon, and Redcloak. All the personal issues have to come to a head now, so that the protagonists can work through them before that final battle. V needs to be possessed now, so we can have strips exploring how everyone else reacts to that. If V were possessed at the final gate, then there would be no time for that denouement.

Smart points. V's had the true horror of his deeds brought home to him, so now's the time to bring out the rest. It's also a good avenue for lampshading the 'take out/cripple the high-level wizard at the big confrontations because otherwise they're too hard to write' syndrome - make him (briefly) into an antagonist. And the story of the Linear Guild, and therefore the three fiends, is almost certainly going to finish at this gate.

My other !!PREDICTION!! is that Draketooth has swallowed the gate, then had himself turned to stone. Making the results of the Speak with Dead spell accurate.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jng2058 posted:

Gotta disagree here. Chekov's Evil Adventuring Party says that Tarquin and Malack aren't going down for real until they're there with their whole crew, including Miron, the catgirl thief, and the mage with all the ioun stones. Getting beat by the Order or Team Evil? Sure. Getting killed permanently this early?

Not a chance.

I don't think we'll ever see the rest of their party - it's just a nod to the 'adventurers hang out in parties' trope.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ha! Well, that's just, that's just, well! Ha! OHMYGODLOOKATTHATTHINGOVERTHERE

(scampering feet, distant slam, car starts up outside, peels off)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jng2058 posted:

My money's on it going the other way. I expect Tarquin, Malack, Miron, and all the rest to be big players in the last book, presuming that we're nearing the end of book five and that book six is the dramatic finale....though I do see a way that it might go to seven, depending on how Rich wants to play it. The reason I think that is because Tarquin has replaced Nale as Elan's personal foil. Indeed, I'll wager that Tarquin's crew becomes the new "Linear Guild" and that we'll get to see the Order have to take on a team of evil opposites who are not only higher level, but also dangerous because, unlike the Linear Guild or Xykon and Redcloak, Tarquin's team like and respect each other. Thus the one thing that the Order can usually rely on against the Guild, namely teamwork, will be superseded by Tarquin's crew's superior teamwork...it should be quite interesting.

And I expect the position of "Elan's nemesis" to be available because I also agree with some earlier posters that Nale has run his course and won't be making it out of Girard's hideout alive.

Put like that, it makes a lot of sense. If Tarquin et al die here it's a lot of buildup for not too much payoff. And as you say, it's a clever new take on 'evil opposites'.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Soonmot posted:

I've got 250 on Tarquin turning into an anti-hero once he finds out Xykon's plan is to destroy the world.

I'll take that (as in I don't think he will, he'll be in it as a separate evil villain rather than working with the OOTS - is that what you meant?)

And lay 250 on V getting possessed by one of the fiends within the next ten strips.

And another 250 on Belkar never leaving the temple (secret base, pyramid, whatever) alive.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CapnAndy posted:

I will take both those bets. This isn't the final dungeon you think it is.

Done.

Belkar has been on deathwatch for ages, so it would be very surprising if he makes it to the next book. And the logic of the fiends intervening now is, if not inarguable, at least convincing.

YOUR GOONYBUX SHALL BE MINE, SUH.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CapnAndy posted:

I would not have taken the bet on V if you'd said "before the end of this arc". Next ten strips, though? I think I've got your money.

AUDACES FORTUNA JUVAT

V's gotta wake up at some point soon, and I'm guessing it'll be the fiends that do it.

I won't double up on it, though - 250 imaginary spondulicks seems right for a long bet.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 21, 2012

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Amateur Sketch posted:

:siren: New Strip! :siren:
I guess you had to be there

I feel like something important is being set up here, but I'm not sure which thing it is.

Definitely. Thinking out loud, the succubus is working for the fiends. So whatever she's trying to get Nale to do is what they want - currently it's to ignore his suspicions and keep working with his dad. And his dad's aiming to ... what? Get control of the gate - why?

Hm, it suddenly occurs to me that if Malack were on their side, and with (x minutes, y seconds) of V's time, the fiends have both a high level arcane and divine caster available. And with Elan, they have something that Tarquin would possibly not want to lose. And Tarquin and Malack have a 'no questions asked' support agreement. And if Nale knows about the ritual, then so does Sabine. Who's on the side of the fiends.

HmmMMMmmmm.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 21, 2012

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Calaveron posted:

Ok you know what? I'm going to make a prediction here:
Tarquin will be put in a situation where he has to choose whether he continues with his original plan of doing evil stuff, dying, and becoming a legend, or having to sacrifice himself to save Elan's life and perish in obscurity.
It's dramatic, ironic, and would be totally in line with Tarquin's apparent love for Elan.

I'll take that bet, if you want to make it one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

greatn posted:

That's not slick writing, that's lazy writing. Everytime you want to challenge your party get rid of most powerful member. Slick writing would be to just use something actually a credible threat in the first place.

For me that's Rich's worst development in the series to date. Which after 856 strips is a pretty amazing accomplishment, he's a great plot weaver.

I mean roughly how many spells would V have at her disposal in 3.5e, per day? 50?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Niton posted:

For a high-level 3.x Wizard, that's not really much. At the very least, it's not anything that would make the story interesting.

Yeah. He's running hard up against the Linear Fighter/Quadratic Wizard problems that are inherent in the system.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Alchenar posted:

"You didn't think I was going to let YOU keep carrying it, did you?"
"No.
No, I definitely did not."

Remember the start of that scene is Redclock calling out Xykon on trying to use Tsukiko to get the whole ritual behind Redcloak's back - and Xykon backs down from admitting it.

The other thing to remember is 'the difference between not knowing and not caring'; Xykon knows full well that Redcloak was asserting himself in that scene and he's going to remember it - he just doesn't care right now so long as Redclock remains on-mission. We also know from SOD that Xykon is perfectly willing to play the long game if need be.

Yes, that scene warrants very careful reading. Xykon behaves quite ...specifically.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Colon V posted:

This means that, as things stand, if MitD DOES eat Redcloak, he'll be eating Xykon's real phylactery, and won't spit it out.

Huh. That's about clever enough to happen, nice catch.

Rules question, how much power would Redcloak have over Xykon as an undead? Are Lichs exempt from turning etc?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RentACop posted:

The prequel book about the heroes was a boring waste of time and money so I don't blame anyone for being leery about SoD, but it's seriously excellent and has actually interesting backstory

Aw, it's not that bad. But yes, SoD is proper pop literature and a must-get.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's hard to say. I don't think it's actually going to be that much. I got the impression from his updates that most of that will go into materials or upgrading the servers, and a lot of the rest will be reserved for other projects, like the 5th compilation.

True - though he also has a bunch of books now printed and ready to sell through normal channels, which will presumably be pure profit.

I'm sure he's worked the numbers very carefully, he seems to be almost pathologically prudent.

I think the thing that makes me happiest is that he seems to have realised how many sane and kind fans he has, instead of just the sperglords and crumpetheads on his forums. The OOTS Kickstarter backer forums are just adorable to read.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

XkyRauh posted:

The strip about readied actions got a good laugh out of me. :)

And the Dwarf city bit with the breakfast beer was funny.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Why is Haley's face grey? Signifying she's hiding in shadows?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

So... how many strips is it since an OOTS plan went entirely their way? 500? 600?

In other news, I just got my Kickstarter shipment in NZ, and it is hilarious reading them in chronological order - Redcloak goes from a properly tragic, almost Shakespearean figure who's sacrificed everything he's ever loved for a goal that might not even exist (in SoD), to a slightly sarcastic middle management goblin in DCC.

And yet it kind of works. With goodwill and a little squinting, you can just about read Redcloak as being deliberately dead inside up until he charges into the city about halfway through War and XPs.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cliff Racer posted:

Great, so the imp is probably going for V. I guess the Fiends are likely to be out of the loop after this arc?

I've got a bit of imaginary money riding on that, so I hope so:

sebmojo posted:

And lay 250 on V getting possessed by one of the fiends within the next ten strips (posted at strip 856, so five to go).

And another 250 on Belkar never leaving the temple (secret base, pyramid, whatever) alive.

That's one hell of a :black101: from Roy at the end, though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hive of vile nerdery though it is, the OOTS forums occasionally make a good point:

quote:

Also, I'm still thinking that the mummies were foreshadowing with their echos. So who needs to knock on what for safety?

It struck me as a strained turn of phrase from Haley so I think it's probably signifying something.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

inthesto posted:

That's some incredibly weak deus ex machina right there.

Is there even a thrown weapon feat that gives you knockback/bull rushing?

No it's not. Tarquin's been established as powerful enough to hold off the Order by himself, so taking one member out for a round isn't deus ex machina.

And the OOTS won that encounter, no question. Great passage of play (plus fast strips thank gently caress).

V is next I am guessing. FIENDS AHOY.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

greatn posted:

Randomly knowing Drow sign language is INCREDIBLY deus ex machina

Like randomly knowing how to pun-duel? Wearing a ring of true seeing? Knowing where the draketooth clan was at? Being able to catch all the slaves and nail them up in some tiny amount of time? Writing a manual with every possible PC scheme in it?

He's been set up as a character who's more skilled and knowledgeable than anyone in the strip to date. That's the joke - he's an Evil Mary Sue. Him always having some absurdly detailed skill (and associated awesome story about the time he...) that fits the needs of the plot is the basis of his character.

Unless you want to say he's a walking DEM, in which case, sure.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

inthesto posted:

I'm referring to the drow sign language. I know it's a callback to a really esoteric rule, but it's really not an interesting or entertaining one.

And then the next few panels were just crammed with words that didn't add anything.

Oh, ok. Sorry, I misunderstood.

I think Rich just liked that line about 'unbalanced in the best way' and wanted that in.

And Tarquin has to leave in a stylish and in-command way, because he hasn't had his reversal yet. So a quick story about some awesome Drow hottie he banged back in the day is a way of showing he's retreating, rather then running away.

I actually quite liked the old school call back - though it never made sense to me that a purely visual language would develop underground. THOSE WACKY OLDSCHOOL DUDES.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ursine Asylum posted:

It'll depend hugely on how Tarquin keeps dealing with Nale. If Malack sees that Tarquin has no intention of letting him deal with Nale eventually, I wouldn't be surprised. In fact, given their relationship, I wouldn't be surprised unduly if Tarquin takes in completely in stride instead of going off on a ranting revenge angle.

It's a really interesting question. I love Malack too, he's a fascinating character.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Redeye Flight posted:

He's pretty rad. Kobolds in general are cool, though.

And if I remember my stuff correctly, winged kobolds are Dragonblooded, which both makes them Special in kobold society and gives them some bonus oomph. There might be more to that guy than we've seen yet.

Drama demands that he kill Belkar. Maybe a bit too pat, but.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

greatn posted:

Any chance Elan pulled the switcheroo with Nale? Would be a pretty convoluted and sneaky trick.

Nope, it would make Tarquin look stupid. And Elan is not the man you want on the inside.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zore posted:

I mean, just for the sake of example, a Druid can shift into the form of a bear and keep the bear's stats along with his natural spellcasting from level six and by level ten can literally keep it up all day. Oh and he can also summon a horde of bears and has a special bear companion while the fighter can hit things roughly as hard as one of those bears.

The "aggressively hegemonizing ursine swarm" approach

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Edition war. Edition war... never changes.

4th undoubtedly has flaws (for me it's the graunching gearshift between in and out of combat) but you have to be pretty groggy to not see the quirks of 3.x that led to it.

Especially in an OOTS thread. Hell, Burlew just had the high level fix-everything wizard literally unconscious in a hole for the last ten strips so he didn't break the plot.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Looking for Regroup.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LightWarden posted:

20% failure, actually. I'm surprised it actually prevented anything.

I'm sure the OOTS forums have three threads on DM Fiat already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The trick would be to have like 20 posts so everyone is all UUUHNNNNFNFFFFFF with OOTS balls when they find out his hand is still stuffed.