Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like how in Roy's ultimate victory fantasy he still needs a Vaarsuvius ex machina to succeed. I guess yesterday it would also have included Durkon, though... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's also a slide of V and Durkon casting the ritual on a rift. I don't think anyone present knows about the whole thing needing a divine and arcane caster. I'm guessing O'chul told the Order basically everything that happened with Team Evil during his stay off-screen.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Look closer. Durkon is certainly emoting.

In the very smallest frame that has anything visible (after O-chul and the MitD and Élan with a giant lollipop), it looks like V is talking to someone with a Draketooth colors scheme (orange hair, red and purple clothes). Could be the runes are also affecting V.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

NihilCredo posted:

there's Inkyrius, which only V knows.

We already know that this is also V's Happy Ending. In panel #19 we can clearly see V reconciling with a member of the Draketooth clan after they were all resurrected, and none of the other party members know about V's little genocide mishap. :colbert:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

JohnnyCanuck posted:

V's expression is curiously neutral in every panel where we can see her face. Dunno what this means, but it's probably something?

You could say this for basically any strip that isn't centered on V.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

W.T. Fits posted:

I've been sitting here thinking about the Belkar's impending doom and wondering if there isn't a loophole that would allow him to get brought back without violating the letter of the prophecy that doesn't involve him becoming undead.

If he were killed and then brought back with a Reincarnate spell, would he technically still be Belkar?

From a narrative perspective, it won't work. "Belkar will draw his last breath" can pretty much only be satisfactorily resolved with his death or subverted by his becoming a non-breathing creature. "...Because he's going to change his name to Steve," "...Because he'll gain a point of wisdom on his next levelup and change alignment to chaotic neutral and become a totally different person" or "...Because even though he'll live for another 60 years, he's going to end up travelling back in time and dying in the pyramid as an old man" are all possible subversions of the prophecy, too, but none of them are going to happen because they'd all be really disappointing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ChaosSamusX posted:

Are you sure about that? I recognise V in that panel, but even zoomed in, it's hard to gather what the other entity is.

Obviously I'm exaggerating, but it's someone with orange hair and blue and purple clothes. I don't think we've met any other characters with that color scheme.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Eh, I don't think gendered insults are the worst thing, but they're still not the best thing to use when we're supposed to agree with the character speaking. D&D is supposed to be a completely gender-neutral setting, at least as far as player races are concerned.

OotS has a much bigger issue with representation, anyway. Haley, Sabine and Lien are the only active female players in the story, and Julia, Celia, Hilda and the Empress are still alive but inactive. Everyone else is either dead, gone or a dude.

EDIT: Shoot, I was totally gonna put something clever about V in there. V is certainly none of those.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 28, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's hard to have a reasonable debate when one is starting from a position of unreasonability (that would be you).

On some rare, rare, rare occasions, characters (and it's explicitly been clear that these characters have flaws dealing with people) may use language that you personally do not approve of. Clearly, this calls for you to write a 30,000+ word essay ranting about it on a completely unrelated site. If it bugs you that much, then you could always register an account and complain there.

Yes, it's too loving bad that every single character in the story is not a wholly pure and infinitely sensitive soul who never gets angry, and who would cut off their tongue before ever saying a *gasp* gendered insult. Well, completely incorruptible, pure, innocent characters with no flaws are BORING. Order of the Stick is not boring, because Rich is a pretty talented writer. Demanding that he run all his dialogue through a ridiculously stupid filter to make everyone speak in an identical bland and inoffensive manner would cripple the comic.

Maybe you should calm down and not be so mad about people discussing things on the internet.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You can either read the comic and enjoy it despite its flaws, or decide that the flaws are too much and stop reading the comic.

If you read the lines, that's what he's doing. I wasn't aware that discussing the flaws of something meant that you aren't allowed to enjoy that thing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
This is gonna be Roy's first time seeing Durkula. :smith:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Uranium Phoenix posted:

The real gate *is* probably in this pyramid and not another, but if the only way to get to it was by getting hit by a trap and ending up in an network of hard-to-navigate-underground tunnels (or just in a buried chamber, because it's not like they need to use it), well, that would be a lot harder to find.
...so this is probably what happens.

The trap wasn't actually connected to those tunnels, though. Assuming that the actual way to access the gate is passing through a wall somewhere, the "entrance" ought to be either past all the deadliest traps or near the Draketooth living quarters.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Superstring posted:

I honestly don't understand why he keeps that thing around. What tangible benefit could it possibly bring?

Ad revenue and maybe donations, is my guess. If Andrew Hussie and the Hetalia writers can survive their audience, it should be easy enough for people like Rich to make a bit on the side.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

prefect posted:

You think the problem with Hetalia is the audience?

Well, someone on the internet told me that the authors know exactly how awful their product is and that they're only doing it for the money. I am not defending the show itself in the least, just saying that there are people who nourish way worse communities than the GitP forums for money.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, the most charismatic character in the story isn't exactly a friend-maker, himself.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The rule is that becoming a vampire traps the soul, so Durkon's soul is still in his body, and is still Lawful Good and will go to the LG afterlife if the body is killed, but Durkula the entity is Lawful Evil. Remember, Malack said that if he were resurrected, he would become his pre-vampire self. I think his soul is destroyed because he was killed by sunlight, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They're like everybody else's, except one of them is in the process of being knocked out of their mouth. Which indicates that Durkon is indeed hitting like a truck.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

MikeJF posted:

That was before he decided on continuity. It would've reset next strip. The fact he decided not to have one-off gags is why he dropped it.

In the linked post, Rich explained that he had decided that Durkon would eventually become a vampire, though. Malack was created to turn Durkon into a vampire and then die so he wouldn't crowd Durkon's turf.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I had a bad hunch that "pay's good" would be Z's last words. I was hoping we'd get to see their character fleshed out a bit more, but I guess someone has to die unceremoniously at Durkon's hands to establish him as evil. Godspeed, noble drow. You were the most competent and likable member of the linear guild. :patriot:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
And his deity situation is prescribed in the vampire rulebook. He's technically an atheist cleric right now, which as a vampire gives him access to a couple of domains including evil and destruction, but not death. Assuming that he is indeed getting the death domain, he will eventually worship Nergal or Hel.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh yeah, Durkon now has access to Hasten Undeath. Over/under on when Durkon will create an army of NPC thralls?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Someone did post on the GitP forums to ask if Malack was really dead or that was just his gaseous form, and Rich responded "Nope, Malack is dead and gone forever."

So whether the rules allow for his ressurection, the plot does not.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm mostly excited we finally got to see Tarquin show some character outside of the perfectly pragmatic overlord. He really wants his kids to like him, even if it doesn't lead to the best narrative or tactical actions.

Judging by the current trend of this book, I'd give Tarquin 20 more strips before he dies at most.

Also I doubt we'll see Nale return as a fiend. It's not really a common D&D trend, and for good reason.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Trapezium Dave posted:

I could only really see Tarquin being defeated by either Elan or Xykon, and I don't think either of them would do so until the next book.

I wasn't expecting Durkon, Malack, Z or Nale to die when they did, either!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

FMguru posted:

We never did get much of an idea why Nale hated Malack so much, did we? I always assumed it was because Dad left Nale early to go adventuring/empire-building with Malack - essentially choosing Malack over Nale - and that really stuck in Nale's craw, but that's still just supposition.

Nale grew up with Tarquin and his gang as surrogate parents. Malack was also implied to be his tutor. I'm pretty sure he had a pretty lovely childhood and Malack was likely the worst element.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

sebmojo posted:

Why the Order of the Scribble split up

There was always tension between Soon and Girard because they were both alignment dicks, and then Kraagor died when he didn't have to and Girard blamed Soon for it. Lirian and Dorukan never actually split up. Serini's fate hasn't been touched on at all, but she might still be alive and would probably have been in touch with the others.

Which reminds me of a crazy theory I have: since Kraagor's Gate is Kraagor, he ends up being unpetrified when the gate is eventually undone, and ends up replacing Belkar on the last leg of the story. They both serve similar combat roles, they're both short non-humans and Kraagor is the least developed Order of the Scribble character.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh, yeah, I never even considered that, but it's quite possible. There goes that theory :(

Kraagor's death splitting the Order is alluded to in this strip, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Man, I hope churning out all these strips so fast isn't too hard on the ol' thumb. :ohdear:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Slashrat posted:

Really, unless you had very particular reasons to believe that there was someone with plans for you that you'd rather stay dead than allow to be carried out, why wouldn't you accept a rez regardless of the cleric's alignment?

The main idea is that if an evil priest resurrects you, and you don't have any evil priest friends, they probably want to torture you or capture your soul. I'm not sure why you'd refuse resurrection by a good priest unless you're a paranoid idiot or you're happy with your afterlife.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Sabine looks like she's Lawful Evil; at least her superior is the Lawful Evil fiend and she worked with the LE imp and dated an LE guy.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

nimby posted:

In D&D, do past atrocities matter when it is being decided what afterlife you go to?

If you slaughter a few dozen villages in your twenties but then end up being a paragon of Good for the rest of your life, would your soul have to answer for those crimes?

I think the rule is that you could put good in the character sheet as soon as your dude becomes honestly devoted to helping others, but if he dies before he can commit enough good deeds to outweigh his past, he's not getting into the good afterlife.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, it's ultimately up to the DM. I think a heroic sacrifice can outweigh quite a lot of evil.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Slashrat posted:

I thought they just distilled it down to lawful good, good, neutral, evil and chaotic evil as a single linear track?

Yeah, they only got rid of the fun alignments. And Chaotic Neutral.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Xykon could seize the gate and cast the ritual, find out it doesn't do what he wants, and then have a badass throwdown with Redcloak. Regardless of outcome, the Dark One finds out it doesn't do what he wants, either. Obviously the narrative issue here is that it'd take a lot of tension out of the story, but there's plenty of room for a new thread, such as a race to re-seal the rifts because poo poo gets unstable.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Tarquin couldn't have planned for that, though. He didn't know that the gate was going to be destroyed or that Elan would refuse to be teleported wormholed to the northern continent.

It's more likely that he's being straight about the petty revenge, and/or feels exactly the same way about Haley and Elan's relationship that Ian does and is trying to split them.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, I don't feel like it really makes a lot of sense for Tarquin to do this. The lowly stock thing doesn't work for someone who isn't actually of noble extraction - he wasn't born into his position, he clawed his way up to it, so it's bizarre for him suddenly to be thinking like a blueblood.

It's not "your dad is a commoner," it's "your dad is a dick." Rich likes to show off similarities between people of conflicting alignments and goals, and Tarquin distrusts Haley for exactly the same reason Ian distrusts Elan.

A.o.D. posted:

I hope that a Xykon/Redcloak throwdown starts with the following line:

"Xykon, when is the last time you gained a level?"

It's been implied that Xykon likes to pop off for the occasional solo adventure, and that's how he keeps up.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think Tarquin is due for a hard fall really soon. The only narrative way he could get away with everything he is doing would be if he was replacing Xykon as the main villain of the story, which I'm sure he thinks he's doing, but it's going to come back to bite him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

my dad posted:

I think Rich mentioned that V had a gender originally, but after a few strips he figured that having them be ambiguous would be funnier.

In one of the early strips, Roy refers to V as "V-man". Rich has mentioned that it was because most readers thought V was female and he wanted a more evenly split opinion. So it's been ambiguous since that strip at least.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

MikeJF posted:

Someone mentioned that Spelljammer monster: google gave me someone posting this:

Doesn't really fit with the whole "Oh god, it's hideous! *vomits*," "You are one ugly sumbitch, aren't you?" bits in SoD, either.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Johnny Aztec posted:

Didn't durkon still have a Thor's might? How would his domineering gaze work if he used it? Could he take over a large chunk of the army?

I don't think Durkon has access to his domain spells from Thor right now. :smith:

Tarquin is gonna bite it within three strips. I'm calling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh, now I get why Roy wants to keep Belkar around. Durkon can cast restoration on anyone whose blood he's been drinking. It sure would suck if the OotS were stuck somewhere without any evil humanoids or other acceptable sources of blood, wouldn't it? Why, he'd have to snack on a party member, and letting a vampire bite Roy, Elan, Haley of V would just be wrong. :getin: