Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CapnAndy posted:

It's still a depressingly short-sighted and old fashioned look on things. If that significant a portion of your consumer base is going to jump to digital if given the chance, loving do it. Digital does not go out of print and has a production cost of 0; he's letting fear of lost profits blind him to the greater profits he could gain. And let's be real, pushing all your chips in and betting on physical books staying viable is a goddamn sucker bet at this point. It's sad that he's making it.

Here's the thing, Order of the Stick is already distributed digitally

The books are, essentially, for fans of the comic who want a physical copy. In this case, there's no real reason for there to be a PDF of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Can I just say that I hope V keeps Yukyuk for the rest of the strip?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I still say that Roy raises Belkar as a giant gently caress you to fate. It fits his character to a T.

The thing is... why would Roy do this?

Belkar's a lot of trouble for a small gain.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Also, one thing about this comic is that none of the characters are really, well, optimal, for their roles.

Roy is, well, a straight Fighter, V is a blasting wizard, Durkon tends to focus on just healing and buffing rather then take advantage of the insane cleric spells. Haley is a bow focused Rogue in a world with Wind Wall. Ironically, Elan is the only character that's done any "munchkin" stuff, with his prestige class that lets him uses his stats to his benefit.

Overall the OoTS world seems to be pretty low level over all though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Well huh. That's rather disturbing for a stick figure comic.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah pretty sure the Linear guild was the ones who did that eyeball scry thing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Good job V!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Maybe it's just me but I saw it as Girard and Soon just inherently not getting along. With the death of Kraggor basically turning the friction into out right hatred.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Basically there's a reason the only high level casters are V, who uses mostly blasting spells, Durkon, who is a heal/support caster, and the antagonists.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Well he's a Multiclassed Ranger/Illusionist, so he probably has some decent physical stats.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

No, the Oracle only said that Elan would get a happy ending - NOT that he would be the ONLY one to get a happy ending.

At the very least, Haley will also because, after all, Elan's ending can't be happy without his love interest!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Speedball posted:

So what's the betting pool on who's going to backstab and destroy the other first: Redcloak or Xykon?

Redcloak has no real reason to backstab. As long as Xykon A) Want's to control the gate and B) Doesn't realize that Redcloak has been stringing him along with the whole "control the snarl" thing. Then he'll basically, in the end, do everything Redcloak wants.

Xykon, on the other hand...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Speedball posted:

So how many Order Of The Stick imitators are there, exactly?

2? I think?

Keychain of Creation and that other utterly horrid one I cant even remember

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

sebmojo posted:

Miko was a great character, not least for the rage she seemed to inspire. I admire his fortitude in killing her stone dead too, a less writer would have kept her around to troll the fanbase.

Then again, a lot of the fan base was expecting her to be brought back in some way.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So I actually found and then read Start of Darkness.

Holy crap that ending. :stare: Probably one of the most brutal verbal smackdowns ever.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

xcheopis posted:

Yeah, it's not very life affirming.

It will totally make Redcloak's inevitable betrayal of Xykon that much more satisfying though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Who What Now posted:

Enervates will rip that power gap wide open again. It worked against a caster more powerful than Redcloak is now too..

Spoilers for Start of Darkness stuff.

Ah but Redcloak now has a ring that protects him against level drain. He got it from Tsukiko.

Basically the inevitable Redcloak and Xykon throw-down is the single event I'm looking forward towards most in this comic.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Holy crap Nale. :stare:

Also, look at what he did, it wasn't complex at all.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

:stare:

Well... uh... that was the last thing I was expecting.

Sabine is going to be pissed.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So, the question is, is this the final end for Nale?

Sabine could try and get him raised, or maybe even Elan could (Durkon does have the diamond for one cast of ressurection)

Of course, Tarquin might try and stop that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MikeJF posted:

Maybe, but Sabine's story is still going, and Sabine and Nale are inexorably linked. She must react.

Yeah this is why I'm 50/50 on if Nale will actually stay dead.

Sabine's central character arc right now is her obvious conflicting loyalty between her bosses and Nale. Nale just dying ends it... really anti-climatically.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Potooweet posted:

Nale was raised by murderers, monsters and thieves, and had his life managed by a sociopathic tyrant who views other people as assets or pawns.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that Nale had a horrible childhood.

Tarquin really is a horrible father. He doesn't get either of his children, at all. Elan was lucky that he wasn't raised by that man. Nale's basically who he is because of Tarquin. He then has the gall to say Nale brought this on himself, when this situation never would have happened if he had raised his son right.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

sebmojo posted:

Sabine is a lackey of a second string villain. Her 'central character arc' really isn't important to the story as a whole. I'm sure we'll get a panel, or even a strip, of her reaction, but Nale Is Not Coming Back.

She's a pretty major character, and everything about what's been going on has been pointing to at some point her having to chose between Nale and her bosses. It ending with Nale just dying and that's it would be obnoxious and anti-climatic.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's pretty funny how so many people are dying in this arc except for the one character everyone is expecting to.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sabine joins the Order of the Stick after Belkar bites it. :getin:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

No the idea behind that fan theory is that he managed to avoid being hit by the famlicide spell due to being in an anti-magic field where the spell couldn't hit him.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Well that answers that question on if Nale will be coming back.

Yeah, Sabine is pissed. I have to wonder where the story's going to go with her now.

Also, heh, Plasma Screen.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tarquin continues to make himself more and more of a dick.

He really is a petty jerk. He just hides it behind a mask of politeness and intellectualism.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

sebmojo posted:

You mean Nale's dad?

Nale at least was honest about being a prick. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I love that Belkar is just annoyed by this development.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah there's no way Tarquin isn't getting smacked down, hard. Maybe not now, but there's no way he isn't getting an anti-climatic end now.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Johnny Aztec posted:

I like how everyone was expecting a small arc with Durkon having moral quandaries about his existence, and instead we get " oh hai, I'm a vampire." and everyone is " okay, neat"

Accurate depiction of how the average D&D group reacts to such a development.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

OK that panel with Tarquin's annoyance is hilarious.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Probably some cheesy third party splatbook feats.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

I do think it's interesting that this is the first time in a long while we've really gotten a feel for the OotS's relative combat capabilities. They've been outclassed so regularly that it's hard to remember that like five of them can quite literally fight an army.

Roy just got chomped by a T-rex and it seems to have merely inconvenienced him.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Back when the pyramid was exploding someone asked how much damage it would actually do to a high level adventuring party and I think the general consensus was "it would sting a bit". To say nothing of how O-Chul first met the MitD.

To be fair, I don't think it's actually possible to kill O-Chul.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Someone pointed out to Rich that Tsukiko breaks the rules because she specializes in necromancy, but doesn't have enough barred schools of magic. Rich's response was to basically shrug and go "oh well, I guess she breaks the rules."

The GM obviously just missed that on Tsukiko's player. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

greatn posted:

I only like prophecies that are vague and can be thwarted with enough effort. Absolutes are completely unsatisfying.

I can not think of a single prophecy in fiction that is like this.

Like, unless the point is that the entire prophesy is a sham.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah the fact that we know for a fact that Belkar is doomed is what is making this character development he's getting a bit more dramatic. He's finally starting to improve as a person, when it's too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cliff Racer posted:

He might have named his tyrannosaur that but he also used it to save two annoying plot railroaders who were thirty seconds away from arrow induced, audience pleasing death.

What are you talking about.