Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

It's Hill Giant - 19 STR
Stone Giant - 20 STR
Fire Giant - 21 STR
Frost Giant - 22 STR
And the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength give 18/00, not normal 18

Cloud giant was 23, and storm giant was 24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Oblivious posted:

In potion form, yes. In belt form, no.

:colbert:

Page 145 of the first-edition DMG.
:)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The "game" in this case refers to Baldur's Gate.

Well, gently caress. :argh:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, keep in mind that the older books didn't account for poo poo like "city adventures" or all that. Towns existed as places to get wasted and spend your gold as you headed off to the next mysterious ruin. In 1973, if your adventure wasn't in the crumbling remnants of some once-great civilization miles from nowhere, you were doing it wrong.

By 1979, they had random encounter tables for cities and everything.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TremendousMajestic posted:

Someone post the disease table from the same era so I can figure out what I caught from that expensive doxy

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Toussaint Louverture posted:

That has to rank in the top ten of creepy poo poo I've heard of happening in a session. What is it about D&D that brings out all the crazy fetishists.

It's a game that encourages you to use your imagination to think of fantastic things. Some of those things will frighten people. :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

Hey, look

nothing happens

I don't know what I like better, the "you are ignorant cretins" bit, or the "how totally badass that fight was" bit. :D

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Why are we pretending like the alignment system isn't a total piece of poo poo?

Neutral Good and Chaotic Good are often times the exact same thing, same goes for Neutral/Chaotic Evil. It's a crappy system that inadequately describes ethical frameworks and character motivations.

You, sir, have no soul.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sergeant Rock posted:

NOOOOOOO NOT AN ALIGNMENT DISCUSSION

Muwahahahahaha...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I am sad that they seem to be about to leave Tarquin. :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Toussaint Louverture posted:

This is not true at all though. It's really very simple. Lawful Evil types have an ideological or logical reason to abide by the law. Chaotic Evil types have an idealogical or logical reason to flaunt the law. Neutral Evil types are about pure selfishness, and break or abide by laws when it serves their self interest.

I don't understand why this is tough to get.

You want "flout", not "flaunt". (I learned that from reading a letter sent to Dragon magazine. (I'm such a nerd. (And so old.)))

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Red_Mage posted:

You would be wrong. Certain Races (like demons and devils) are always certain alignments. You could be the kindest sweetest Succubus in the world and never harm a person and open a home for orphans etc..

And you would be Chaotic Evil.

Alignment is phenomenally stupid.

Wasn't Fall-From-Grace Lawful Neutral in "Planescape: Torment"?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vorgen posted:

However, within the context of the DnD world the alignment system is very well-defined and should be pretty easy to understand and use. In DnD, the Planes, the Gods, and the afterlife do not care about your secret, true, inner alignment. Your alignment is a property attached to you, like your mass or specific heat, and it is measurable and definable. Gods will look at your soul, check your tags, and treat you accordingly. So will tons of other people.

Also your actions will be constrained by your morality as well. That's why you can't be a nice, sweet, chaotic evil demoness. Because demonesses are chaotic evil, and that fact informs their actions. There are no secret desires or alternative career paths open for succubi, they're just chaotic evil demons. That's it.

I haven't played in ages; do they no longer allow alignment changes?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zetetica posted:

It's very strongly implied that Geoff and Ivy are the associates Bozzok is mentioning. See his reaction here.

Last panel best panel. :3:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Is it wrong that I'm now cheering for Xykon as the underdog against Redcloak?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cabbit posted:

His soul isn't in there now. His soul retreats there when his undead body is destroyed, then proceeds to regenerate a new one for his soul to inhabit.

So it's like a portable Zero Room? :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bongo Bill posted:

Comics Alliance has an interview about it.

quote:

RB: Being somewhat old school, I'm leaning toward electrum pieces myself. Though the encumbrance will be harsh, so I haven't decided.

:3: The success of this thing really makes me feel good about the world.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cuchulain posted:

Playing that game while drunk on Halloween with my girlfriend was an experience. She's not from America, so she never did the whole Trick or Treating thing.

So what inappropriate body part does the main character of Ennis' kids book have for a face, anyway?

I'm hoping there will be meat-mannequin loving.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Maxwell Lord posted:

I will say this for Garth Ennis- he totally avoided all the usual "I am edgy" cliches in Dan Dare. It's a straightforward modern update of the character, with a good war-story vibe.

Garth Ennis can write the hell out of a war story. It's scary how well he does them.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Affi posted:

222 bucks gets you the whole story.

Thank you for the summation; this is what I have ordered.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tinyn posted:

Its pretty clear he just wants to see the books on store shelves more than he wants profit. Nostalgia I guess?

Nostalgia could certainly be a part of it. I know that I place more value on physical books than I do on e-books. It's probably because I'm old and have loved books for years. :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

crime fighting hog posted:

To be fair, if they were optimized the strip would have ended a very long time ago.

And the strip would be a lot less fun, because Roy wouldn't have put such a high stat in Intelligence.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I hope V survives all this so he can become an archetypically wise old wizard frustrated by his complete inability to stop future generations of mages from being as loving retarded as he used to be.

I think V is capable of regret, but not humility.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Speedball posted:

I just want to know if V can pull his karma out of the screaming nosedive it currently is in.

There's no "karma" on my alignment chart, buddy. :colbert:

Rumda posted:

Theres also the possibility that the connection is on Haley's mothers side, which would protect Ian, and then were down to cloister protecting Haley and since epic must defeat epic it fits.

God V would turn suicidal if s/he learned how close he was to murdering their best friend.

Does V really have "friends" as we think of them? Even at his/her best, he/she is pretty distant towards the other party members.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rumda posted:

I don't know s/he always seemed close to Haley, after all s/he didn't push theirself so to find Roy's corpse or Belkar, s/he wanted to prove magic is as powerful as s/he thinks it is by finding Haley, and if you have read OoTPCs then is shows that V and Haley were friend before they joined the party and V only joined up a her insistence

Gotcha. I haven't gotten the printed books yet, so there are things I don't know. :tipshat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

jng2058 posted:

Precisely. Like the Big X said, "Be a vampire, or a ghost, or an immortal with a paint-by-numbers portrait in the rec room. Hell, even a brain-in-a-jar, in a pinch. Anything to avoid the Big Fire Below."

I guess explains why so many intelligent undead are evil...they're dodging hellfire!

drat, you. You made me go read a couple of comics, and they turned out to be the Xykon versus Mr. Stiffly ones. Poor Mr. Stiffly. :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

HKR posted:

Neither does he if you read back where he explains the chart.

I kinda see Rich as a real life B.A.

Baracus?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pope Guilty posted:

Roy is why you don't dump Int.

I was really psyched when Roy explained why that wasn't Thog. I've always had a soft spot for fighters who have some Int. (I'm still bitter that my friend with the dumb-strong fighter used to get 10% bonus experience. :argh:)

prefect fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 8, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

wiegieman posted:

It's going to be so great when Tarquin gives the okay for Malak to snuff out Nale.

I am waiting with bated breath for this one. It's going to be so sweet.

(I bet Rich cockblocks me. :mad:)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ImpAtom posted:

This. As much as people like Tarquin? He's a villain. He's an arrogant self-confident villain who is utterly convinced he knows how things are going to happen. There is no way he's going to get what he wants. If anything, the only way to really defeat him is to give him an ignoble death, because nothing tarnishes a legend like a bad ending.

He's probably going to underestimate one of the other villains and die realizing that he was a stepping stone for someone bigger than he is, not the big bad of his own legend.

I'm just hoping that Nale gets his comeuppance. Which almost guarantees he won't. (Not in a way that I find satisfying, at least.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vorgen posted:

That reminds me of some post I read on here about a dude saying his friend in middle school used Dungeons and Dragons 1st edition as the focal point of his arguments that women were inherently weaker, because they got -1 STR and +1 DEX or something.

In Advanced D&D's 1st edition, I believe human women didn't get a bonus or a penalty, just a maximum strength of 18/50. (Which is worse than a bonus/penalty, because there's no counter-effect on some other stat.)

Cabbit posted:

Perpetuating racist or bigoted stereotypes ironically is worse than doing it out of pure ignorance, because you should bloody well loving know better.

How about if they're stereotypes that nobody takes seriously any more? (I love my Polack jokes.)

(Disclaimer: I am a Polack-American.)

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 2, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Do mummies still give you some rotting disease when they hit you?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'm glad the doctor is confident it's going to go well. "Complications" is shorthand for "living nightmare".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Apocron posted:

Man I miss OotS, any idea when it will come back? Did all the KS stuff go down the tube as well?

I'm pretty sure all the Kickstarter stuff he was going to do is still going to get done; just not as soon.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ImpAtom posted:

What the hell is this about hand-stabbing? I heard about the Wonderella guy and the OotS guy, did it happen to someone else?

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2309

quote:

So:

Basically what happened yesterday is i drank an entire bottle of whiskey, stabbed myself in the hand (not my drawing hand), had some kind of delirious breakdown in the hospital, got stitched up and sent back home.

Today I go to see the hand surgeon about my hand and a therapist about my emotions.

I guess something like this was bound to happen eventually. The monsters finally caught up. But at least I am ok. I feel very, very bad about all of this and would really like to apologize. I'm sorry.

There will be some guest comics for a few days. Thank you again for your patience.

VVVV Is that why he did it? :stare:

prefect fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 2, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SirDan3k posted:

Who is the Lawful Evil Norse deity in D&D anyway?

I don't have Deities and Demigods handy, but I seem to remember a serious shortage of Lawful in the Norse pantheon. Maybe Hel/Hela?

Whilst Googling for Norse alignment info, I came across this, which is awesome: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jeffdee/re-creating-my-norse-art-from-deities-and-demigods

quote:

This project is the third installment of my ongoing effort to re-create my old TSR / Dungeons & Dragons artwork – which was reportedly destroyed* by some thoughtless functionary to make room in TSR’s files. Last time, I re-created 16 drawings that I did for the 1980 AD&D module Q1: Queen of the Demonweb Pits! This time around, I’m re-creating my artwork from the Norse chapter of the original 1980 edition of the AD&D book called ‘Deities and Demigods’. Eventually, I plan to make a whole collection my re-created TSR illustrations available as an art book.

Edit: I'm depressed by this "yes, master" business. I don't like that at all. No, sir.

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 6, 2013

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alchenar posted:

But it is perfect for Xykon though. "Oh, these guys". The squabbling of the heros and the B-villains simply doesn't register with him because it's utterly irrelevant and I love it.

That's the absolute best thing about Xykon. The strip needed some comedy; it was getting terribly depressing for a while there. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Earnestly posted:

He seriously considered forcing Redcloak to sail a boat built from Hobgoblin corpses.

I don't know if I like Xykon better than I like the Order, but I like him better than Redcloak for sure.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

builds character posted:

2nd Edition purists! :argh:

Fools! First edition is the only pure edition! :doom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alchenar posted:

They're not going to die, they'll be fine. Gates don't inherently blow up when destroyed, that's just Girard and Soon's particular defence mechanisms. They're just going to weaken the fabric of reality/help doom an entire planet. Something that would net three devils a whole bunch of souls.

Sure, you'll get a lot of souls in one big batch, but it's not sustainable. Wouldn't it be better for them to keep the planet non-doomed and farm souls forever?