Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Elan he already realized that Nale was alive in 789. Did he just pretend to be surprised specifically for the purposes of messing with Nale? Heh.

The arrival of the Linear Guild in 789 has really livened up this plot line. Eliminating Haley right away was a good way to emphasize that things are getting serious and fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It's always nice seeing Elan's little moments of cleverness.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Well, uh... I guess Roy's dead again.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
:siren: New Comic! :siren: And it's awesome.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0801.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I liked how smart Elan was in this. He picked up on the "last week you were hundreds of miles away in the desert" thing right away. And he tricked the prisoner into attacking Nale while handing her a weapon at the same time. He's really gotten much more competent since leaving Azure City.

I find it a bit amusing that "Last week" was 103 strips ago.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 17, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I don't suppose Clerics know Feather Fall, do they?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Ha ha ha! Now THAT was awesome and worth the wait. (I guess drawing all those debris chunks takes time.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah, it might not be a huge action scene, but this was a necessary scene.

If you're impatient, there's probably still a bit more action to come with the Elan/Durkon vs Nale/Sabine fight.

Plus there's the part where they'll try and break Ian and Geoff out of jail. That might get interesting, because I suspect Geoff was/is working for Bozzok and is the reason why Ian couldn't escape for long.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It also looks like Belkar shoved all the rest of Haley's stuff into the bag of holding (if only so it would be easier for HIM to carry.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I really liked the clever tag-team by Roy and Haley to suggest to Tarquin that Nale is looking for Draketooth - which is quite likely, in fact.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Elan was notably smart this time. I like that. It's good that he's getting more useful.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
:siren: New Comic "Yes, It Is"

Well, it looks like another player will be making a move soon.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Speedball posted:

So, those are what--mer-goblins?

I was wondering if someone would ask that. Here's the official word.

The Giant posted:

The guys in Panel 3 are intended to be koalinths, a form of aquatic hobgoblin that's been in the game since First Edition. I'm sure they made it into 3.5, too, though I don't see them in the SRD (possibly because the unique name "koalinth" was deemed Product Identity).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Technically, 86 strips.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
As I posted above, one of the things Xykon did in his absence was to visit the Oracle - who was out.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
:siren: New Comic: Losers Weepers :siren:

I have to say that I did not see this coming at all. It's exciting!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

jng2058 posted:

Whiles that's certainly possible, and would be an interesting lead-in to Xykon getting back into the game, it seems kind of cheap. With the Cloister effect going on, there should be no way for Team X to know that the phylactery was found. I mean, I suppose they could have sent a runner ahead with the news, but there's no evidence of that in the strip.

Also, I think giving the good guys an edge vis a vis the stolen phylactery adds more drama to events than another massacre. We get that Xykon is powerful and ruthless. Giving him back his phylactery and ending any hope that Azure City will ever be freed just reinforces the status quo. Xykon going after Girard's Gate but being unable to risk death?

THAT'S more interesting.

I agree, I think that this theft means that Xykon will give up on the search and just go for the gate without getting the phylactery back.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Well, I suppose that shouldn't be surprising, after the assault on the prison, I'm sure Redcloak and Jirix stepped up their search for the insurgents, and there's only so many places in the area to hide. It was inevitable that the caves would be found.

Still, there is a possibility that the elf could teleport away with the phylactery before getting killed.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 6, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

crime fighting hog posted:

That's probably my favorite strip.

"Wait a minute, I had a 22!"

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Affi posted:

New strip is up and it does imply very interesting things to come!

Link for convenience.

Pretty much what I expected. I'm just glad that Niu will be able to tell the others. Maybe? I don't know if anyone can use Sending scrolls.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Colon V posted:

I doubt he'd give it to her if she couldn't. Being "the one for stealth" implies she took a couple levels in Rogue, which means Use Magic Device is a class skill.

Ah. Yes, she multi-classed to rogue.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Huh. The last strip was one and a half pages, but this one is a full page. That's a but odd, but I guess that other half page will be used as commentary in the print edition.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I don't think Tsukiko's search for the ritual will be fruitful. I doubt that Redcloak ever wrote his half of the ritual down anywhere - why would he? In Start of Darkness, he told Xykon that the knowledge of how to perform the ritual was inherent in the Crimson Mantle.

She isn't going to be able to extort it out of him either, he's smart enough to know that would make him expendable.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Tertiary Stresses posted:

As you command:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0830.html

Holy poo poo. That was incredible. Nasty, brutal, but absolutely necessary.

Really powerful writing.

He used a spell silently two strips ago. He knew he would probably have to do this. And what an appropriate death for the undead-loving warped mind of Tsukiko. She really shouldn't have overplayed her hand.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 23, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

prefect posted:

Is it wrong that I'm now cheering for Xykon as the underdog against Redcloak?

Yes, yes you are.

I think I've though up a plausible excuse Redcloak could use to explain away Tsukiko's disappearance. He could say that she took a squad of wights and is pursuing the Resistance, who are believed to have fled the area. Tsukiko will still be under the effects of the Cloister spell, so she can't be scryed or contacted until it wears off, and that'll take months. He could also say that he told her to come back with the phylactery or not at all.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It's up in the air how Xykon would react to Tsukiko's death, but it would likely end badly for Redcloak.

But nobody even KNOWS that she's dead, much less that Redcloak killed her.

Xykon has been notified that his Phylactery has been found.
The Phylactery has since been taken by the Resistance.
Tsukiko was in charge of suppressing the Resistance.
The Cloister spell makes it basically impossible to scry or magically contact those under its effects, like O-Chul.
Tsukiko was almost certainly under the effects of Cloister.

If Redcloak says she left the city chasing after the resistance, he could potentially buy himself a few months of time.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

MikeJF posted:

Again, you can do what you want between two Cloistered individuals.

Then why couldn't Xykon or Tsukiko scry on O-Chul?

Tsukiko: Scrying on his holy rear end was the first thing we tried, but only epic magic can find him now. And sure, Xykon's epic, but divination isn't exactly his forte.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Rumda posted:

I'll be surprised if it doesn't reach 300k before the end of the weekend

It's going up fast, but not that fast.

We'll have to wait until much later to find out what the mystery $222,222 prize is, though.

Rich Burlew posted:

New update will come later tonight; I need to go out and do real-life-type errands now. I thought I had at least until 6 pm today! FYI: There will be no new limited reward packages added today, so no one needs to wait around until then just to try to snag something.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Eesh. 8 hours ago, the funding was at $260,000, now it's $1500 $500 away from the $300,000 Mystery prize!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I already have all the books, but I put up my $10 when I just thought I was getting the O-Chul PDF. Now it's a crazy bargain.

There's practically enough free bonus material that he could make a book out of a compilation of that alone, although if he put that up as a goal to aim for, the whole thing would probably just go fractal.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Well done, Redcloak. I'm sure he expected Xykon to stash the thing somewhere else, which means that he won't notice when the spells Redcloak cast on the fake expire.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Ooh, I wonder if there will be a short Durkon and Belkar adventure.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

MildShow posted:

I think the biggest thing to take away from this comic is that Yukyuk is still there.

I wasn't expecting that. He's NOT going to be happy when the domination wears off.

I'm intrigued by what Elan's plan is.

I liked the surprise burn, too.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
There's a podcast interview with Rich Burlew

Some interesting things:
  • The Order of the Scribble - He hasn't ruled out a prequel book, but he has no plans for one. The events that caused the big rift in the Order of the Scribble will be revealed in time as part of the main comic.
  • Number of compilation books: There will be at least two more after volume 5.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
:siren: New Comic: The Name of the Windy :siren:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
:siren: New Comic: Either Way, Really :siren:

It really must be a sign of the end times when Belkar is useful at tracking.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
:siren: New Comic: Finding Something

It's getting good...

This is Saturday's comic, so his week of "daily updates" is still a day behind. But it's still faster than usual anyway!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Even the Kickstarter graph comics have clever plot twists!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
There's a thread to follow the post-drive information.

Rich Burlew will be working on the PDF's in the order he thinks he can get them done most easily, and sending out them out as he finishes them. The O-Chul story will be the longest one, so not the first.

His first priority is getting the colouring book to the printers.

It's subject to change, but at the moment, the three bonus "Character of your Choice" PDF's will be about Therkla, the Cliffport Cops ("some sort of cop show parody"), and Belkar, Pre-OOTS days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I don't think it was the Familicide. That was at least a month ago, and the corpses are still uneaten by bugs, and so are the vegetables or whatever that food is. This seems to be much more recent than that.

Maybe the bodies didn't smell like rotting corpses to Belkar because they're not rotting so much as mummifying?