Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
In the podcast interview Burlew gave recently, he hinted that we would get to hear some more details about the history of the Order of the Scribble, and why Girard distrusted Soon in this arc.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Brannock posted:

Doesn't Penelope's death match up with the timeframe of V's Familicide?

I seriously doubt this is a case of V's Familicide. Even if Penelope's death does match up, it shouldn't kill both Penelope AND the entire Draketooth clan, because Penelope isn't a Draketooth.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Cuchulain posted:

Well, on the longshot that Draketooth is related to the Black Dragon: Familicide kills the target's immediate relatives, and everyone related to them. So a related child would die, in addition to both their parents, despite only one of the parents being a direct relative of the targeted dragon.

But if the spell cast on a dragon could affect the Draketooth's and Penelope, where does it end? How many distant relatives of the Draketooth's would die, and relatives of THOSE people... where does it the range of that one Familicide end? It didn't even kill all the drat Black Dragons, just 25% of them.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Some people think that the statue is Girard via Flesh-to-Stone, and it could be, but I think they're forgetting about perspective - that statue is much larger than a person.

Yes, I know about Enlarge spells. That's why I said "could be".

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 28, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I was one of the ones who thought it was highly implausible that V's Familicide just HAPPENED to take out the Draketooth line. And yet, this reveal is just so clever and succinct that I don't mind.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

ConfusedUs posted:

I thought they just got his soul after death.

Edit: Yeah. Right side, third panel from the bottom. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0633.html

No, V assumes that they get his soul after death. But all the Fiend's dialogue implies that they need V alive for their plan for the gates. It's pretty clear that they'll take him over when he's alive.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

W.T. Fits posted:

Well, this certainly sheds new light on why there was so much friction between Draketooth and Soon.

It does? How?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
New Kickstarter update.

The magnets for the $10-14 pledges should start shipping after March 9, and he's mostly been working on the colouring book. That's about all the news.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
:( Vaarsuvius is broken.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

wdarkk posted:

We already know V can't get a happy ending. I'm half expecting he intentionally fails a save vs disintegration or something while the fiends are possessing him.

Speaking of happy endings, apparently Elan is the only one who'll get one. Except Haley is officially his lover now, so if she dies or something horrible happens to her it can't be happy for him. I'm really interested in seeing how that works.

No, the Oracle only said that Elan would get a happy ending - NOT that he would be the ONLY one to get a happy ending.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Rarity posted:

I could easily see Elan sacrificing himself to save Hayley. He's happy she's alive but we're all bummed as hell :smith:

That could happen... but that is not the impression I got from reading Rich's commentary in the books about that scene.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Cliff Racer posted:

Did Roy remember the Oracle's prediction, though? Everything in the afterlife is a blur to him.

But everything he saw while in ghost-form on the mortal plan was not a blur. Plus, the Oracle banished him back to the afterlife instead of making him go through the memory charm, so he retained the memory of everything he saw at the Oracle's place that time.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
:siren: New Comic: The Last Laugh :siren:

Looks like the statue wasn't really Girard after all.

Hopefully this puts off the derail for a while. Also, Rich Burlew now has a twitter account.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Idran posted:

They're saying it'd be even funnier if it wasn't just butt humor.

Yeah, it could be both butt humour AND a way to hide the location of the gate for just this kind of situation. Wouldn't that be fitting for an illusionist?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Uh-oh. Tarquin and Malack would probably be tough enough to deal with V already present. Still, on the bright side, the other five are together, and they can probably withdraw deeper into the pyramid.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I got my magnet in the mail yesterday!

Oh, and also :siren: New Strip: Acid Redux :siren:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

W.T. Fits posted:

These wouldn't happen to be posted somewhere they can be read online, would they?

No, but they still have the book in the store.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
:siren: New Comic: not-thog

So much for True Seeing giving the game away.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Jefepato posted:

Well, really, True Seeing should see through it completely unless there's something very, very special about it. But I'm not fully sure Durkon ever got a good look at Tarquin in full gear and I'm not about to archive-trawl to double check it.

That's what's so magnificent. It doesn't matter even if he recognized it as Tarquin's armour. "Thog" said that Nale stole it from Nale's daddy.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
At least there's a good reason for the slow updating, though. All that extra work to get the kickstarter reward stuff done would take a bit out of anyone's schedule.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Vadun posted:

Has anyone done the math to figure out about how much profit he's made off Kickstarter? I'm really curious after taxes and estimated printing fees.

I just got my Print Only Special in the mail and I'm really enjoying it so far. The Origin of PC's was pretty bland at first but it picked up by the end, and Start of Darkness is amazing

It's hard to say. I don't think it's actually going to be that much. I got the impression from his updates that most of that will go into materials or upgrading the servers, and a lot of the rest will be reserved for other projects, like the 5th compilation.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Great to see some clever tactics.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Dolash posted:

I guess that means Tarquin might just be reacting in a "Urgh, what a noise" way but he'll shrug it off and suffer no effects. Anything else will narrow down his level pretty fast.

Here's hoping the Order has another move lined up because this doesn't look like it'll be enough.

Roy isn't going to rely on this being enough. He said the ambush is an attempt to turn the tables and learn as much about them as they can, so he's already anticipating that this might not be enough.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

NihilCredo posted:

I think Durkon actually used Meld into Stone and came out of it when he heard the Linear Guild cursing about the smoke.

Stone Shape is also possible, but the comic makes it look more like Meld into Stone.

Official word is that it was Meld into Stone.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That was impressive.

I wonder what Elan's role in the plan is. Maybe just "stay out of the way"?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
They forced Tarquin to retreat, so, that looked fairly successful. I wonder if Tarquin lost his axe or put it into hammerspace before grabbing Nale.

There's another Kickstarter update out as well. He thinks that the update after that will have the Belkar PDF ready to download, and he's started work on the "Haleo and Julelan" one as well.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 30, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

greatn posted:

Randomly knowing Drow sign language is INCREDIBLY deus ex machina

Maybe, but I think that the Drow could probably get the idea of what Tarquin wanted just from the context of the situation alone, so I'll give that a pass.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I don't think Belkar will die here. It doesn't feel right. I don't know how he'll survive, maybe V really will show up soon.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's also the fact that Durkon has now used up one Mass Death Ward and I would be surprised if there wasn't a situation in the near future where he could really use one.

Sure he could have prepared it twice, but my impression was it's a fairly high-level affair, plus rules of drama and all that.

That's quite possible. But there are times to save things for a rainy day, and this was NOT one of those times.

Burlew is such a tease.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
How long do Hold Person and Vampiric Gaze/Domination last?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I really liked how Durkon's skin tone gradually turned paler and paler as his blood was drained. Great artwork touch.

So, will he lose all his Cleric abilities and spells now?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 4, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

NihilCredo posted:

Mildly interesting trivia: #877 has the same title as #333 ("The Bright Side"). I think it's the first repeat title in the comic archive, too.

No, the first repeat title was "Breakfast of Champions".

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Fried Chicken posted:

re-read some of the archives today, and this entire book Durkon's extreme uptightness has been causing problems. His refusal to compromise on disobeyong unjust laws keeps Roy & Belkar locked up, it interfered with Haley's attempt at talking the information out of the authorities (and she flat out calls him on it at one point) and it was his driving motivation in picking an unnecessary fight.

Well, no, it was Tarquin's decision to seize control of the pyramid that caused the unnecessary fight. All of Malack's compromises involved either having the entire Order of the Stick withdraw, or having Durkon and Malack sit out the fight to some degree. Tarquin withdrawing his team wasn't on the table.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I agree with how great Belkar was in that strip. Berating Roy at that time was absolutely right. Great writing.

Whybird posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point the only plan that the Order stand a chance of success with is 'blow up the gate and then scram before the Linears catch up to them'.

That can work for the Linear Guild, but if Xykon arrives to a wrecked gate, is there much to stop him from just going on ahead to the one after that? I doubt it. Something has to happen here to delay Xykon.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The idea that Nale would just up stake Durkon on sight is really stupid. It's a bad idea to attack other party members, especially ones who are more powerful and already want you dead. The only reason Tarquin kept Malak from killing Nale was because because he said he could get him a gate. That calculation will change if Nale starts staking guys. Plus, Nale is down two allies - Sabine and Thog, putting him at an even bigger disadvantage.

Plus, Rich's writing is strong enough that he wouldn't have all that buildup to make Vampire Durkon and then kill him off without him doing anything of note.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Blackheart posted:

Yeah, but a fitting punishment for Tarquin would be dying without getting to be a legend, so Xykon just offhandedly or humiliatingly offing him could work, if done well.

That's exactly my thinking. Tarquin has it all made, he's in charge of an empire, gets to do what he wants, he just has to sit back and do nothing to win, but Nale's offer tempts him, and that could easily cause his downfall in what he'd consider the worst way: He dies alone and forgotten in some dungeon where no one else will ever know. No glorious fight on the palace balcony. No statues to his memory. No aspiring villains following his footsteps. He just becomes a footnote to history, a general who vanished one day.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Can anyone see any Order of the Stick comics past #636? They're all showing up as completely blank pages, not even any source code.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
No, I think the narrative purpose is to have the Order helpless so that literally only Varsuvius can save them now. Just because the "greatest dream" enchantment has Roy beating Xykon so easily doesn't mean that his move will be an instant win button.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Slashrat posted:

Has Rich actually confirmed that those four words were the words referred to in the prophecy?

Yes, and he explained why in the compilation book, admitting that repeating I was a bit of a cop-out, but that he never said that the four words would be different words. The repeated I was to emphasize that it was Varsuvius's pride that led him to that choice, which is why it was the wrong reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

nimby posted:

Get Real

Well, that's Elan, Roy and Haley out of the fantasy world. My guess is next we see what Belkar's been seeing and that'll be something that made this fantasy trip worthwhile.

I think we just saw what was worthwhile. That was fantastic character development for Elan and I rescind my previous complaint about the fantasy section possibly dragging on.