Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Leikr Elferston posted:

I don't think they're reversed yet, I think she's gone from blue to grey/brown and might go from grey/brown to black or red later on.

She had the white and blue (presumably the colors of the Azure Order) sucked out of her clothing, you can see it rising as mist when she is struck, leaving dingy normal clothing.

About the paladins are rear end in a top hat stereotypes, those started way back with Mallory. Sure King Arthur and his knights (and historical knights) were honorable and just for their times, but Speedy being Racist was pretty normal for his time period too. They were still flaming douchebags a lot of the time, that dispensed low justice at a moments notice.

I think Xyklon did a good job at enraging her enough to pull a Darth. But yeah, she looks surprised as all hell.

The good thing about the paladin stereotype ™ , it that when you play against it, you have a much more memorable character.

gothfae fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 29, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

The Fortdeadlykick posted:

And I'm glad he got back to making jokes about Haley, I'm not sure where he was going with the whole romance story.

Right where he got. Nice thing about OotS is that it hits on all the different styles of D&D gaming. You got the power games, the epic campaigns, the comedy relief, the roleplay heavy...

The Haley romance fits right into a specific type of D&D campaign, but maybe you don't play with enough girls :)

gothfae fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 30, 2007

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

bgaesop posted:

You mean Chaotic good? :raise:

I think his technical alignment is

alignment: Jack Bauer (Good)

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

bgaesop posted:

Oh, you mean Chaotic Evil. Gotcha.

This reminds me of Neverwinter nights 2, when for every good thing I do I have to do something irredemably evil to stay neutral. I became Neutral Good, and then spent the nex few encounters slitting throats until I was neutral again.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

tsob posted:

I'd never seen or heard of this till a few days ago, when I saw threads for it popping up in /co/ on 4chan, and was shocked to see very little posts condemning, critisizing or mocking the comic. This actually shocked me enough that I had to read it.

Read through all 407 in work over 2 days, and have to say I love it. Trying to spread it to my flatmates now. I don't see what all the Miko bitching is about though, I like her as a character in that she provides an interesting foil to the OotS. But that may be because I'm only new to this and didn't have to toil through months of her, so that could be just bias...

Oh, and I am the only one who finds themselves using The Monarch's voice when reading Xychon's lines? I can't help it, but when I realised what I was doing it made me want an OotS cartoon, or even just a Xychon flash or something :awesome:

My big thing is sometimes I don't feel comfortable recommending it, even though I love it, because you have to be a certain level of gaming geek to really get all the funny. And now I will hear his voice like that always.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

(also I'm pretty sure I just got a weak sass from gothfea)

No sass intended, just a comment that the odd romantic entanglement is all part of the genre dependig on your play group,and the more girls you play with the more you see it. Especially if the GM is a girl.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

I'm not sure more girls is required for a romance within a campaign, just more mature/creepy players. Also I was mainly talking about the fact that in the entirety of the subplot there were about three jokes made about it and not much else, but again thats just my opinion and I've really enjoyed the comic for its run.

I'm just glad there should be are more rogue jokes now I like those.

I love how mature and creepy are interchangeable. :)

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

The Werle posted:

(I have waited long for this moment)

:frogsiren: NEW STRIP IS UP :frogsiren:

I think Roy's sword is a little indicative of exactly how far from her rocker Miko has strayed.

That is the greatest Belkar monologue of all time.

And yeah, she is compeltely fallen, no remorse, just more rationalization.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

bgaesop posted:

Ahh, yes, that's it. It's actually a supernatural 1/day ability, but same difference. The mount also only stays for 2 hours per level, so if anyone feels like reading through a bunch of back strips and figuring out the longest the mount stays out, we can determine Miko's level.

If she's higher than 11 we would never be able to tell.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Parahexavoctal posted:

Especially if you did it 35 minutes ago.

well played.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Semiru posted:

That was a pretty funny strip.

If anyone ever gets a Roy avatar, it needs the title text "Whine, whine, whine, I'm Roy and I want more plot points!"

We can't all be straight men you know. Some of us tell jokes for a living.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

tsob posted:

I'm beginning to think we'll never find out what's under that umbrella. And after 400 + strips about it, I don't think anything he could reveal would be all that good at this stage, either as a climax, or an anti-climax.

I assumed we would never see what it was. Imagination being better than, blah blah blah.

However with the latest turn of events, wouldn't it be interesting as far as Miko was concerned, if it was some angelic looking evil outsider?

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

SuperKlaus posted:

2nd Edition capped the maximum character level of those nonhuman scum for precisely that reason. Common sense has no place in D&D anyhow. That's what makes the comics ragging on it so funny.

2nd Edition? Pshaw...

I played D&D when Elf wasn't just a race or a class... it was both.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Spaz mk. 2.0 posted:

The arcane reason V chose 13 is because the mass line of buffs affect one person per caster level. I guess this confirms that V is level 13. Also, any more than that probably wouldn't fit.

You may have noticed that my explanations tend to consume more time than the plans themselves.

:love: Vaarusvius. :awesome:

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Gay Polymers posted:

What happens if the zombie dragon rots enough that it's wings just fall off in mid-air? Would that suck, or is that not possible?

Maybe this is why zombies aren't real...

A skeletal dragon would not fly, there would be no meat. This would not stop the enterprising bad guy from making and attacking leather wings to the bones, preferrably of dragon leather, even stretching it over the entire skeletal structure. Not that xykon would care about the latter, he has a bony butt and doesn't need comfort.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Human skeletons shouldn't be able to stand, either. It's magic.

Except the concept of flying skeletal dragons with leather flaps has been addressed in a dragon article about uses for dragon parts. Rght before the section on boats made out of dragon parts.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

High Altitude Hair Stylist posted:

That's just suggested material for a campaign setting, not necessarily canonical rules.

True, but it's all about suspension of disbelief in an internally consistent universe.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Panty_HaX0r posted:

I haven't read from the beginning up to date. I started when this thread started, and I've also read to the when they first defeat Xykon. What I want to know though is where did all this "V has indeterminate gender" thing begin?

Before the comics you see on the site. Before the transition to 3.5 which 'begins' the stuff you see. It's V's running gag. "Before" in that there are strips, in print only, in both collections and that have appeared in Dragon that, from their clothing, are previous to 3.5 (lack of chain shirts, etc). Whether they were drawn chronologically before or after I have no idea. But whenever the subject of gender has been brought up, it's always been a joke. Though in "No Cure for the Paladin Blues", Rich discusses V using "him", he has commented that it's easier to do that rather than type "him/her" every time and that this should not be taken as a hint. V's gender, or lack thereof, is even mention in the OOTS FAQ.

You know though, I don't think he's ever mentioned what Belkar's chosen enemies were. I tend to forget he's a ranger.

gothfae fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 19, 2007

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Brannock posted:

I'm pretty sure Xykon can cast Fly anyway.

I bet he has Feather Fall scroll outs the wazoo.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Volga Boatman posted:

skeletons don't have a wazoo

They just have a greatly expanded wazoo.

And this is for those that didn't understand my reference.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0049.html

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Holy poo poo. I was getting worried that Xykon was being characterized as just too dumb/absent-minded/apathetic for this entire battle but then he goes and does that. This is awesome.

I think he is rather apathetic, but you only put up with a mosquito for so long until you meteo.. I mean swat it. He's one of those villains that hasn't had a challenge in forever, so it's all kind of going through the motions.

As far as lame Hero vrs. Villain discussions... I've had this same discussion in games with PC's as a GM, when their woefully underpowered PC's caught up with the main baddy way too early in the plot, and the PC's thinking 'Hey, we're PC's we got big Dicks' weren't expecting to be dumped on their rear end like they dump kobolds.

"Hey! I died!"
"He's an epic level Blackguard, what were you thinking?"
"But, I died!?"

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There are days when I read OotS after reading the comments here the day or two before, and I ponder to myself whether he occasionally reads this site and thinks "Wow, these guys are evil assholes, I'm going use that idea, but crank it up a notch. BAM!" That is, if he were Emeril Lagasse.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Soylentbits posted:

Also note that there are currently no living nappy headed hos in the main cast.

I think that's what he really meant.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

tsob posted:

Why were Durkon and Haley so upset about Roy's death? Is there some reason they can't just rez him like nothing happened later?

Eatten by ghouls.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

rantmo posted:

Since Durkon has said outright that he's planning to, I think it's pretty likely.

Unless, as I said, he gets eaten by ghouls.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Gally posted:

Don't the paladins all know about the snarl and the seal?

No. Not to my knowledge.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

tsob posted:

I don't think that's European monitary denominations he's using, cause I'm Irish and I'm completely lost too - must be Swahili or something, trading in beads and peebles :confused:

Mario van Peebles?

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Okay, honestly, he could have tossed a big silver platter with the symbol on it into the middle of them, that's not an offensive use of the spell. Years of 'Sage Advice' on the D&D website and in Dragon and Dungeon magazines have pretty much clear where the line between offensive is and where it isn't. That particular action would not have broken invisibility, as it directly affected no one, therefor it was not offensive. He could have inscribed the damned thing in the air in the same panel he tossed the ball. The ball was comic effect.

Secondly, it only affects, as of 3rd ed, this may have changed in 3.5, 150 hit points of creatures. It affected, as far as I can count, at least 15 unique paladins, the highest level ones, not being affected.

There is not one Mount in that room, given the amount of area, you'd think the someone of high level would have summoned theirs. Unless no one in there is above 4th level (see my note about 150 hit points)

No matter how Xykon did it, that room would have been a cake walk, he just chose to do it in typical Xykon style instead of "mwah ha ha, I have an evil plan." And dumping the room full of cloudkills and chain lightning.

Hinjo has a mount, no one else seems to, except Miko. Miko is high level cause she's an rear end and was sent on missions as far away and as dangerous as possible to keep her out of people's hair, while everyone else trained and rousted the occasional pickpocket.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Samedi posted:

What I'm not liking is that Xykon is being written contrary to all his previous characterization. Suddenly the chaotic, lazy, supremely confident lich is being written as ruthless, efficient, and foresighted. I don't like it.

What part of those two descriptions can't co-exist?

He was still chaotic. It was only Roy's interference that forced him to make a change in plans. Redcloak had no idea what he was doing. That's pretty chaotic.

He took a bit of a beat down so that his enemies would kill each other. That's pretty drat rear end lazy when he could really have done it himself.

Ruthless.. well he's always been ruthless. Dead followers are just as good as live ones and talk back less.

Efficient, foresighted and Supremely confident, He's never been shown as a cackling, deluded megalomaniac, and he _did_ manage to be foresighted enough to turn himself into a lich. Not to mention his magical gadgets. he just doesn't particularly worry himself with people who aren't a threat. Like that Greentree guy. As for efficient... there were more efficient ways of handling this whole battle. Fortunately Redcloak handled the tactics or there would have been no planning at all. There were more efficient ways of handling a room of Paladins. Efficiency and Foresight has your major villain scribing Summon IX scrolls in advance of the attack, things like that, not casting Overland flight and spending 10 minutes etching a rubber ball with symbol of insanity.

He's just never had a reason to even live up to a fraction of his potential before. And that's all this was.. a fraction of his potential.. if he weren't so chaotic, lazy, and generally uncaring of anything he doesn't perceive as a threat.

His whole speech to Roy was "This is how you play the game, I know how to play the game. You can't beat me until you know how to play the game too."

And Xykon just proved he can play.

gothfae fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 6, 2007

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Evil is not necessarily immoral and sadistic, it can be amoral and selfish.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

This is so many colors of awesome. That last panel is perfect. I so want to break out my Lazytown 'gently caress, Yeah' macro, but I'm holding myself back.

but it deserves it.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Tens of OOTS readers get drunk on Coors; Complain about Rubber Balls, Dead Paladins.

Now onto this comic...

Xykon's best stragedy at this point is to drop a force cage on himself and teleport his rear end home, rather than face a room full of Divine Positive Energy Spirits from the Book of Exalted Deeds.

gothfae fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 8, 2007

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

By the way, as I read everything from the beginning again, this was foreshadowed hard 35-36 strips ago. Maybe foreshadowed isn't the right word, how about.. spelled out completely.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0413.html

Also this is the Second Time, that Xykon has actually made that face.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0376.html

gothfae fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 9, 2007

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

You know we if started a "The Order of the Stick: Stupid Rules Arguments" Thread, and go back to the beginning, I'm sure it would keep some people engaged for weeks and weeks. I mean, that crown, it's supposedly not magic, but it just floats above Xykons head. What in the Hell's up with that?

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Boredom in a Friday night.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

You should've altered his last speech bubble to say something like "...so that's exactly what I did! Hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did!"

You're right, but I'm too tired and am taking a nap now :)

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Sam Hall posted:

:siren:New strip's up:siren:

drat, redcloak's getting all :black101: now

This was his "Remember Who You ARE!" moment, I think.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Gyges posted:

All I can say is, Belkar is truly badass.

Well, how many Chaotic Evil Halfling Ranger/Barbarians are there in the world to... uhm.. look up to.

sakesniper posted:

I guess I'm the only one who thinks this sudden change of heart for Redcloak is kind of dumb.

No idea, but it should give people something to argue about until Monday. Thanks! :doom:

gothfae fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 12, 2007

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Backdoor Blanche posted:

If Redcloak wants the war to end NOW, why doesn't he let the shadow-covered monster fight?

Goblin honor (tm), A general decision by Redcloak the The MitD is useless, the running gag of no-one ever using it for anything.

And I don't know about Belkar, though for some reason when I imagine Little Nephew on Achewood rapping I imagine him with MC Chris's voice.

Redcloak is a Cleric, of unknown god, he is also the leader of the Hobgoblin's having annihilated a minion in front of the previous leader. So all the Goblin people? Probably not. This little section of them. At least as much as any Cheif/Spiritual leader should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Geshtal posted:

And sorry if I'm late to the game and that's been mentioned before, but 40 pages is a bit much to sort through for one plot point.

I really don't think all that spoiler text was necessary.

And there are lots of words that could have followed that one. But there's no way to be sure, it's so secret even V doesn't know, and apparently Haley is the only one that knows V's gender. So it's either a throw away, or it will come sneaking back later. Considering it was buried in code that not every reader wanted to even begin digging into, it could be anything. Human? Straight? A Rogue?

Interesting side-track none the less.