Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

The Werle posted:

I was always really baffled in the old Webcomic discussion threads when people bitched about the Mikko storyline and character, because I could even then see that it was going to lead into awesome new directions. Xykon is a decent villain, but for the sake of maintaining the freshness of the strip and preventing it from being one Xykon story after another new villains really needed to be developed. Mikko and the Linear Guild have both been really strong additions to the strip.

I'm fairly sure that I was one of the few people who was bitching about the Miko storyline and character, and my problem was an irritation with Miko as a person. I like the interactions between the OotS and Miko, and her insane tirades, I just get irritated because I know how annoying a PC like that is in a D&D game.

I really hope she falls soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Parahexavoctal posted:

I don't think being struck by lightning is something she can avoid noticing

I think his post was before today's.

All I have to say is that was awesome. That's pretty much exactly what I'd do in such a situation with a PC, especially with the little "neener neener" dig at the end.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Wex Major posted:

I don't know, it seemed pretty obvious to me that it would be a good opportunity to end the conflict without further bloodshed and maybe even convince Miko not to be a crazy bitch all the time. If he attacked her and she got away (she's a loving monk of course she's going to get away) it would only make the situation worse, which is exactly what happened. What are the chances of Miko trying to redeem herself now that the good guys attacked her? It was just a bad move on Roy's part. There are times when diplomacy is preferable to force.

Well, talking as a DM, if I put an NPC into a game, specifically to bother the PCs, capture them, irritate them constantly, talk trash to them, and then, after the PCs get done dealing with all manner of poo poo, and then, have the NPC kill a figure who is liked, beloved, or looked fondly upon as a crazy old man, I would not expect said irritating NPC to be given a chance to make it to next week's session.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Zereth posted:

I'm... pretty sure those don't actually exist in 3.x.

That's up to the DM.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Human posted:

It's the same here. If Miko gets redeemed in a atonement story arc or flies into the sun like Hal Jordan, it'll be obvious. And if she turns into a Blackguard, everyone can say they had thought of that twist ages ago.

So... You're predicting that Miko will show up in a year or two, fight a magic space bug, and cleanse Paladining of evil?

Miko would instantly become my favorite character if she used the Green Lantern oath, or even better, Hal's.

"From the shoulder,
To the wrist,
Watch out Evil,
It's my fist!"

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Lafarga posted:

3E has no level limits, even on monsters with class levels. There's nothing stopping him from Epic levels purely from a rules perspective. Orcs are low-level enemies too, right, but an Orc that's also a 15/5 fighter/rogue is the sort of bad guy you throw at PCs who think they're too big for their britches.

Plus, there's always that classic "Tucker's Kobolds" story.

I don't get the Tucker's Kobolds story. What prevents PCs from dropping fireballs a ways behind the Kobolds? Or using wands of Magic Missile? Or a Cone of Cold?

Fighters shouldn't be afraid of some piddly arrows if they have tower shields, and to get the ones pushing the piles of flaming debris, just fire arrows at the pushers.

What exactly makes these guys worse than anything else? I'd like to know, to be able to challenge my PCs.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

He's probably gonna have his Dracolich breathe fire or do a breath weapon or whatever to lower their hitpoints and distract them, then go straight for the tower by air, while his troops rush the walls. The heroes and most of the highrankers will chase Zykon, and the lowlevel troops will be like "OH JESUS", or dead from said previous breath weapon.

Or it's just cool looking.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Wow, there's some horrible or extremely creepy stuff going on in Erfworld.

"If you've held anything back, you're almost in the clear for now."

"I haven't held anything back, mistress."

"I know. If you had, I woulda croaked you. You've been very good, Jillian."

"Tonight you'll be rewarded properly."

And then they just start shooting the poo poo, talking about how one another has been doing. They've done this torture stuff before, most likely... :gonk:

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

CoolCab posted:

I don't mean to harp on or appear like I'm defending Erfworld, but again, lesbians and implied fetishism in a webcomic, saints preserve us.

I've no problem with the lesbians. The fetishism is a bit weird, but the sheer quickness they swap from "TELL ME SECRETS!" *whip whip whip* to "So. How's the other side treating you?"

That's hosed up.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

sakesniper posted:

My real question about Belkar is why you would want someone who'd casually murder you in your party. There really isn't any question he's chaotic evil in my eyes. Why have someone who's such a huge liability on your team?

It's a joke about how there's nearly ALWAYS a person in a D&D party who really wants to play the evil character, alongside the freakin' Paladin and Knight of the Forest and blah blah blah.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Brannock posted:

Everyone's else tied up except for V who is low on spells and beat up. He'll probably be able to save Roy, but Xykon has a big head start.

What's Durkon up to?

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

clockworkjoe posted:

Semi off topic post: There's a debate going on whether traditional games should have a new forum just for discussing tabletop games. As it is now, trad games is dominated by Play by Post threads and in my opinion, I think the community will improve if we add a new forum to discuss games. Discussion is allowed now in trad games but there are only a few megathreads. If you want to have a place to just talk about games without having to compete with Play by Post threads, voice your support here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2424393

It took months to get a wrestling subforum, and it took months to get a Let's Play subforum. Both of which are incredibly active.

Um. I really don't see the benefit of a separate forum to discuss tabletop gaming and a separate forum to PLAY PbP tabletop gaming, and I don't think that the admins would want to have the space for two forums splitting from one.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Brannock posted:

Besides, he could just hit Xykon with the flat of the sword and have it count as blunt.

Improvised/nonstandard use of his sword. -4 to hit. And Roy was already whiffing when he swung at Xykon, I do believe.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

If Roy's body retains intellegence, then it'd be almost as good as ressurection. Durkon will just have to memorize some harm spells, and everyone will need to take a few panels to get used to the stench.

There's not many nonevil undead that retain intelligence.

There's not many undead that retain intelligence.

Well... As of the Monster Manual 2. What're they up to now, MM5?

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

gothfae posted:

Unless, as I said, he gets eaten by ghouls.

True Resurrection brings a dude back from just about anything.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

God I love Xykon. Clueless, smartass, and super powerful are such a great combination.

I'm not so sure Xykon is truly clueless about everything.

I think he really, really just doesn't care, at all.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Xykon is awesome.

And I don't play wargames, so lemme ask anyone who does in this thread. Did today's Erfworld make ANY sense to any of you?

I think I should go to sleep...

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

NutShellBill posted:

It's hard to tell is Xykon is worried in that last panel or if it's more of a "Hm. I've been a round a while, and this is the damnedest thing I've seen since Aught Four" sentiment.

I'm going to guess that this is the bony skully version of the penultimate Keanu "WHOA."

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Robot Bastard posted:

That's the thing that pisses me off about this. The second thing DOESN'T NEED the first thing in order to be cool! I mean, what would have been wrong with just a big Burly Brawl fight scene where Xykon wastes everyone?

Kay.

YOU draw it.

Dickbag. Even for a stick figure comic, a massive battle containing thirty pages of "gee i wonder if the redshirts are gonna beat the big bad evil guy hurr hurr" would be a pain in the balls to draw, and I'm happy with how he did it.

Jeez. Would all of you stop bitching about the rubber loving ball? Some of us thought it was cool. Some of us apparently don't like good things. We've moved on to something awesome that everyone likes.

And I don't think they were meant to be a suicide squad, they were meant to stay there and hope Xykon didn't get in, but if he did, they would try to chop him to little bony bits, and if THAT hosed up, the Ghostly Legion would be waiting, now with increased numbers, to gently caress up Xykon's day.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Robot Bastard posted:

Your SUPER SLAM would work better if he hadn't done just that, only had a bunch of Paladins killing each other, instead of a bunch of Paladins getting killed by Xykon.
No, because it was loving lame.

No. See. He didn't.

He drew a bunch of insane Paladins killing people easily. Whereas if Xykon went one by one or even three by three or loving ten by ten through them, that would either be three times as long, or be one really, really long update, that I wouldn't want to have to see any artist do. Xykon killing EVERY paladin rather than making them dispose of themselves while he walks towards the throne would take a decent amount of time.

Or be REALLY boring. "Horrid wilting! Meteor swarm! Evard's Black Tentacles and ANOTHER meteor swarm!"

robot bastard posted:

On the other hand, I don't play with min/maxers, so I guess I'm the wrong target for that kind of humor.
gently caress, man, neither do I, I just think it was funny! You're really bitching over something as inanely stupid as a...

Aw, gently caress it. You're convinced you're right and I'm convinced you're a gently caress. I hope Xykon starts using the rubber ball trick a lot, to piss you off.

Hey guys! Order of the Stick is a webcomic!

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Nomenklatura posted:

That's why.
Not only funny, but ridiculously cool. Any DM that doesn't reward this sort of hilariously awesome creativity wouldn't be one I'd want running my campaign. That's why I liked the ball; it was one of those moments where the DM looks at the player who thought it up, cocks a brow, and says "son of a bitch, I never thought of that. Probably against the rules but what the hell, I'll allow it."

Yes. Exactly. See, I'm looking at all of this strip from a DM's perspective. I love running games, and it's really great when your PCs manage to surprise you with something cool. I almost always let them do stuff that they've put a lot of thought into and will be cool, even if it's not really rules-correct.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

ZorbaTHut posted:

I think that's the Moment of Truth for DMs. You come up with a great situation, you get the players into it, and the players pull an awesome and yet completely unexpected metaphorical rabbit out of their hats which utterly annihilates every bit of planning you've done in the last month.

Do you let them have it, or do you overrule them?

Moment of Truth.

I'm pretty good at knowing the loopholes possible beforehand. Sometimes I get surprised with their ingenuity, but it's not too common that they can manage to do stuff that'll completely obliterate a storyline I've been doing for a while.

However, if they do, then I'll give it to them in part. Usually while saying "I loving hate you guys" with a huge grin on my face.

And then I'll use their loophole to gently caress them over. So they just found a way to utterly obliterate the big bad guy that was gonna steamroll the armies of Good?

Ok. Now the puppetmaster behind the BBEG sees you lot as a big threat. Have fun with your invisible stalkers and assassins after you every step of the way.

Robot Bastard posted:

I'm interested that you think "a bunch of people fighting each other" is harder to draw than "a bunch of people fighting one guy". Is there less fighting in the first situation than there is in the second?

YES

The main focus of the strip with Xykon loving up the paladins with the ball was Xykon, not how each individual person died. If you had to draw Xykon going through each individual person, even with spells, there's going to be a LOT of interrupted spells, leading to a lot of melee, leading to a long, long fight with ONE SPELLCASTER versus a huge swarm of people nearly made to fight him, just not powerful enough to go toe-to-toe with him by himself.

This is something you learn when you're a DM. When you have ONE monster facing thirty PCs, the monster's gonna get swarmed and won't be able to use a lot of its cool stuff.

same guy posted:

See, at least that fits with what we've seen so far. Yes, it's contemptuous, but at least it isn't "lawlz check out this loophole!"

It's also boring. Even if Xykon just flew overhead, dropping Meteor Swarms, it would be intensely boring, even if he made witty oneliners while doing it. This way, he got to be cocky, got to advance his character some with revealing that he's not a half-retarded skull-guy, and I got a laugh.

And that's a real sweet ice burn there with your links to the compilations of the webcomic.

So by that logic, Achewood, Megatokyo, and Sluggy Freelance aren't webcomics? So they're normal comics?

Cool. I'm gonna go to my comic store and buy me the newest issue of Achewood!

I can't wait to see what happens now. I love OotS.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

However, it totally sucks to then go "Yeah well now the big bad guy sees you as a threat; you all die in your sleep from stealth assassins." I think the gentlemanly response is to make your players aware that if they try to do that repeatedly, you're just going to make the bad guys start using the same exploit against them.

Hey, hey, hey.

Whoa.

Hey now.

Who said sleep?

No, I'd have much more fun the next time the PCs went to get hammered in a bar.

Party Dwarf/Fighter/whatever: "Let me buy you a drink, my... good..."
Party Spellcaster: "Why is everyone in the bar suddenly looking at us?"
Party Rogue: "And fingering knives?"
Party Cleric: *Sigh. Start preparing Cure Moderate Wounds.*

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

WHAT THE gently caress WITH THE AMOUNT OF TIME THAT ROY WAS CLINGING TO THE DRAGON BEING UNDER 15TH LEVEL HE SHOULD HAVE FAILED A CLIMB CHECK

gently caress DIS COMIC

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Endrite posted:

Any adventuring party that doesn't end up lighting a tavern on fire to destroy the evidence is no adventuring party at all.

Who says I won't beat them to lighting taverns on fire?

Hell, in the last game I was DMing, an entire city was flooded with flaming evil liquor from a Rod of Wonder. That's what happens when you tell me to use my brain instead of the default rolling table.

I would be having so much fun with a party as demented as the Order of the Stick. And the Order's about as goddamned big as my usual party makeup.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

rantmo posted:

Look, I love talking rules and setting plenty, the problem is that some of the discussions of the rules have really started to overshadow the discussions about the strip, which is the point of the thread. Now I don't mind explaining CR and Templates and little details to the Goons here who don't play and don't have the grasp of the rules when it becomes relevant, I don't even mind a small back and forth about it, but it's gotten to the point where we're writing term-papers on the rules rather than having a fun discussion about one of the most incredible narratives available on the internet.

Let's try and find a happy medium, that's all I'm asking.

Like I said before...
Hey, Order of the Stick is a webcomic! Would ya look at that!

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

If we're just going by the whole string of speech Haley was saying in that strip, I'm going to guess you guys are reading WAY TOO DEEP into it.

She just said she kissed a girl once.

Okay, more than once.

I'm not exactly what you would call straight.

Then again, I always hated analyzation in english classes...

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Gimmie a moment.

Okay. Now according to Wikipedia I have the largest penis in recorded human history.

Yeah? Well, according to Wikipedia, my testicles weigh more than a sperm whale.
Each one of them does.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Wanderer posted:

Actually, the only way that Roy would get an attack of opportunity against a charging hobgoblin is if V enlarged him or if he had two of my favorite feats in the game, Combat Reflexes and Hold the Line. Having Hold the Line and high Dexterity (which Roy doesn't seem to have; if you look at how he behaves throughout the strip, Dexterity and Charisma seem to be Roy's dump stats) generally does mean you're death on two legs in situations like this one.

With Hold the Line and Combat Reflexes, does this mean that you'd get an AoO any time something came into and left a threatened square? A DM Friend of mine said that that wouldn't work for some demented reason, but I think that's because he didn't want my Barbarian with Instantaneous Rage and a Maul to be able to annihilate any charging foes that he threw at me.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Brannock posted:

Speaking of PrCs, we haven't really seen that many have we? There's that shadowdancer from way early in the strip, but I can't think of any others.

I'm glad. I hate it when people water down prestige classes. They're PRESTIGE classes ! They're supposed to be elite, and special, people out of the ordinary that you don't meet often, who are especially good at one or two things.

I really like that he makes them as rare as I feel they should be.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

A 3rd edition monk is like some god-killing overpowered fucker in some respects. They can't be physically damaged at all past a certain level, right?

Their saving throws get REALLY good at high levels, to the point that it's hard to use spells against them. Reflex, will, AND Fortitude are all good for Monks. Makes up for the lower damage potential of their hand to hand.

They're good spellcaster killers, but if you start throwing monsters with high DR at them, you can hurt 'em. They can't even wear armor!

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

tsob posted:

Yes, that's why he gambled Roy's life on a cheap bet with a complete stranger. He might have thought Roy was kinda cool, but he didn't have any emotional attachement to the guy or anything.

He can still use Roy as an excuse for indiscriminate slaughter.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

SuperKlaus posted:

Not like you'd get a better use out of a ranger's companion.

I'm running an epic level game. The Ranger's companion is an HD-advanced Giant Owl. It has a higher strength than anyone else in the party.

And talks in a Brooklyn accent. His name is something fruity to the ranger, but to the rest of the party, he's Hoot.

I love DMing.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Pfft. Actual settings. Homebrew is the way to go. Premade settings is dildoes.

What? I had a lot of fun making my gaming world.. :shobon:

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

IMJack posted:

[Therkla surprises Haley]
T: "Sudden Strike! Hah!"
[Normal initiative begins]
H: "Sneak Attack! Sneak Attack! Sneak Attack!"
T: "Oh yeah, rogues can do that while ninjas can't. I'd forgot." *dies*
E: "Good work, Haley! I wonder who that was."

~ alternately ~

H: "Elan, flank this ninja for me!"
T: "No, my love! Help me flank this hussy!"

On a D&D nerd topic, can't you only do one Sneak Attack per round?

I thought that was how Rogues were kept from being ridiculously deathworthy at high levels.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Endrite posted:

You just use acid on them anyway.

Energy subsitution/energy admixture.

I love doing Lightning Bolt, energy subbed to acid.

"ACIDBOLT~!

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Are the past two pages backwards day or something? We have people raging against Achewood and DBZ for no reason aside from the fact that they really hate people liking or knowing things about things.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

After exploring a cave with an odd rumbling noise in it, and awaking an entire tribe of slumbering gnolls, and having a 1st level party have to run from the entire tribe of gnolls, Dancing Lights has been pretty much taken out of every game I play in, as a tradition.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Jonked posted:

Sure. But you let them see their spot checks?

"You rolled a 1. You DON'T see the Kobold Ambush directly in front of you."

bbut technically just because they failed a check doesn't mean they should react any differently :saddowns:

I hate that. "Roll a search check." "Five total." "The door's not trapped." "I wanna check again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Robot Bastard posted:

I think we've talked about Goblins before; at least twice.

And it's easy to kill characters when you've got, like, nine thousand of them.

As for Mystic Theurge: I imagine that it's a lot easier to play a Mystic Theurge when the writer of the strip just lets you have whatever spell you need, as soon as you need it, whether you actually memorized it or not.

Just like NPCs in real-life D&D! :hurr:

I stopped caring about Goblins when it was obvious the guy couldn't deal with all the plotlines he had going simultaneously.