Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HitTheTargets posted:

I have no idea why it took me so long to realize why they're called the Order of the Stick.

What, you mean that they're stick figures or did you mean the in-game reason? Because in the comic they refer to themselves as the Order of the Stick, but we haven't learned why, unless I missed something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The site is down! :derp:

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Happy Elf, I think the main reason that the jackass paladin is a cliche is because it fits in real life. Cops are the real world equivalent to paladins, and guess what the cliche is there? They're jackasses. Of course, many cops are not jackasses, and maybe they would be cool people if it weren't for their ridiculous code of honor/stupid laws, but still, it's what sticks in people's minds.

Of course, Paladins also have the whole holier-than-thou thing going on automatically since they actually, you know, are holier than most people.

And there's nothing about humbleness or being a smug rear end in a top hat in the Paladin code. Or maybe there is in some versions, but not in the ones I've played with.

edit: The Paladin in Goblins is a nice guy :v:

bgaesop fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 29, 2007

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rincewind posted:

Come to think of it, are there any webcomics with sympathetic Paladin leads?

Goblins :confused:

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BexGu posted:

Alot of ways to take this :confused:

I meant the :confused: because I had already mentioned Goblins.

quote:

He means Goblins as in this comic: http://www.goblinscomic.com/

It is kind of a spoiler that takes place after the first story arc but after a group of goblins are able to fend off a group of adventures from killing them all, they decieded to become adventures themselves to better defend their village. One of them becomes a paladin.

This is what I was referring to.

quote:

It also has its own rear end in a top hat Paladin in it. A bigger rear end in a top hat then Miko.

I thought he was a fighter? Oh well. :(

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rincewind posted:

I'll have to finally start reading Goblins regularly.

Goblins and Order of the Stick are the only two comics that I enjoy enough to read regularly but I still don't want to, because they update so rarely that when I get the new update and read it I'm immediately sad that I have to wait. :(

edit: This is a good paladin. Possible spoilers for Goblins.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SuperKlaus posted:

Too bad blackguards are weaksauce.

What blackguards are you looking at? 3.5 blackguards kick rear end. What level do you suppose Miko is currently?

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jonked posted:

She has a Celestial Mount, so at least Level 5 Paladin, plus at least 1 level of Monk. However, she was capable of single-handedly taking down the party, san Durkon.

Yes, but that happened off panel and Roy specifically mentions "railroad plot points" which indicates to me that it's the DM saying "She beats you guys" with no dicerolling involved.

quote:

So, probably a level or 2 higher than party.

I'd put the party at around 7 or 8 or so, so she's up to, perhaps, 10 or 11 at the most? 11 would be a big deal if she decides to go the Blackguard route.

Jonked posted:

EDIT: Actually, since she has Evasion, that means she is at least Monk 2/Paladin 5

Oh right, she's multiclass. Highly unlikely she's got 11 levels of Paladin then.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
With 8 levels of Paladin she would get Lay On Hands, Smite Good 2/day, a 1d6 sneak attack, and Summon Monster 1 for fiends as soon as she takes a level of Blackguard. If she's got 9 levels she'd get another Smite Good and a skeleton companion!

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jonked posted:

That would follow, since Xylon is a Lich, and Liches tend to be very high level Final Bosses.

Liches only need to be level 11, though, right?

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jonked posted:

No, the base creature needs to be level 11. Becoming Lich essentially adds 4 levels to them, thanks to the Level Adjustment rules.

:rolleyes: It adds 4 to their equivalent character level, yes. They need to be a level 11 spellcasting class to become a Lich, which coincidentally makes it perfectly legal for Rangers, Bards, and get this, Paladins to become Liches. Of course, that would rob the Paladin of their Paladinhood, but in one swift motion a Pally could become a Lich Paladin 9/Blackguard 2 with all the bonus Blackguard abilities. Pretty sweet deal, if you ask me.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Coldbird posted:

Jack Bauer version of Lawful Good.

You mean Chaotic good? :raise:

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gothfae posted:

I think his technical alignment is

alignment: Jack Bauer (Good)

Oh, you mean Chaotic Evil. Gotcha.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Black August posted:

I have no idea why you're all so angrily arguing paladins and blackguards and jedi or whatever,

Because it's fun. :shobon:

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Myok posted:

I don't have the books in front of me but the Paladin's horse is summoned for a period of time based on the Paladin's level, so it would probably just go poof, if not immediately then after its time is up.

Where does it say this? I do have the book in front of me, but I've never played a Paladin and can't find it at the moment. :downs:

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Myok posted:

It's the Special Mount ability gained at 5th level, according to this site (best I can do for now). My paladin died and was reincarnated as a big brown bear (3.0 rules) so now there's a bear and horse tag team running around the woods.

I thought to look in the Paladin's Mount sidebar but not the Class Features section. Oy. :downs: Still, there's something interesting there:

quote:

Each time the mount is called, it appears in full health, regardless of any damage it may have taken previously. The mount also appears wearing or carrying any gear it had when it was last dismissed. Calling a mount is a conjuration (calling) effect.

And yet:

:raise:

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Werle posted:

I'm not familiar with Paladin rules enough to know whether its the case, but do they have to prepare their daily spells like a wizard or cleric does? If that is the case, maybe she only prepared one "Conjure Celestial Mount" spell for the day and the time she refers to is waiting til the next day when she could resummon Windstriker at full health.

Ahh, yes, that's it. It's actually a supernatural 1/day ability, but same difference. The mount also only stays for 2 hours per level, so if anyone feels like reading through a bunch of back strips and figuring out the longest the mount stays out, we can determine Miko's level.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NutShellBill posted:

That's why I make up a d100 list of "Things that can go wrong" for those first 10 levels. Flavour is everything.

I've never seen one of those that's balanced. I personally have them confirm the fumble, the same way you would confirm a critical hit: roll again, if they miss again, it's a fumble. If they would have hit with the second roll, they miss but have no further bad effects. If they fumble, they then roll 1d4: 1 means they drop their weapon, 2 means they break it (or deal damage to it, applying hardness and item hit points if you use those rules), 3 means they hit themselves, 4 means they hit an ally.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rantmo posted:

Bards are really more jack-of-all-trades types, they've got buffing powers but they also can do a bit of magic, a bit of rogueing, a bit of fighting, just none of it terribly well. They're by-and-large considered useless unless you have a large enough party. I've always been a fan of them, but they are tough unless you've got the right party configuration.

This is what Bards are supposed to be. In reality they're mediocre support types.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Feel free to talk about the comic instead of talking about other people talking about DnD, if you want. :v:

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Y0ssarian posted:

it doubles the crit range.

15-20 I believe. A shame it doesn't stack with Improved Critical any more.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SuperKlaus posted:

You are correct, sir.

Furthermore, a vorpal weapon does not cut your head off except on a 20, and keen and improved crit no longer stack, so you can't auto-kill someone on a 12-20 anymore. :(

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheHeadSage posted:

Awww. But my favorite was getting a jewel-edged, keen, vorpal rapier with improved crit, which would knock it down to 10-20.

There was another way to knock it down to 6-20, but if you hit, the weapon would shatter.

What's Jewel-Edged from? What's that other way? I love these weird DnD things.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Frudu, you must destroy the Ming!

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I love how fleshed out all the characters are in this. They're great. I wish the NPCs I encounter and create were this well thought through.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bingo posted:

:frogsiren: New strip up! :frogsiren::

And you don't link to it?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0417.html

edit: Now that I have read it... wow. If you told me this time last year that I would be honestly concerned about the fates (and sex lives!) of fictional, DnD based stick figures, I don't know what I would have said.

bgaesop fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 22, 2007

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wait, this same guy is the Bruno the Bandit guy? No wonder I hate him, he's an unfunny jackass who ruined Sluggy Freelance.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Occultatio posted:

So, just food for thought. Perhaps it's knowingly not for you.

And that's why I don't read it. :)

HitTheTargets posted:

Pete Abrams?

Shut up you :mad:

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
God, I'm reading through Erfworld now and I cannot stand it. It's got so much potential, like Ferrinus said, but lord if that guy isn't wasting it on the poo poo that comic is.

None of these strips have made me laugh, and there have been multiple strips that I've had to reread just to figure out what was happening in them because the art is so bad. Aaargh

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Okay, I laughed at the "PLOT" sound effect.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hmm, now that the fat guy is in the world and things actually seem to be happening I'm kind of interested. I like that the midget with the hammer is the bad guy but refuses to believe it, this is actually shaping up to be somewhat interesting. Not nearly as good as OotS, but I think I'll keep up with it.

I still hate the art, though.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BexGu posted:

What the two posted above me are probably right: The whole point of this comic seems to be exploring the set pieces of the standard D&D genre and break them when ever possible.

But it has almost nothing in common with DnD :confused: I see it much more as a spoof of wargames.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Boggus posted:

So what is up with Redcloaks 1000gp telescope? While I am familiar with D&D it feels like I am missing something out here.

That is how much spyglasses cost in DnD.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just bought On the Origin of PCs today, and am halfway done with it. It's really good, despite being black and white. It's not necessary for understanding the plot, but it does make certain comics (such as this one) much more interesting, and it's just good fun, too. Overall, very worth the $13 I spent on it. I won't scan any pages or anything, but if anyone has questions about the content feel free to ask.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, I like him. I really hope Roy doesn't die, though, On the Origin of PCs has made me really like him.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's not much in it that's really new, most of it is just fleshing out the backstories and interactions between the characters, as well as being just interesting new stories. Off the top of my head, the only big new thing I can think of is that Durkon has been prophesized to "bring death and destruction to us all" (us all being the dwarves) when he returns home. That's why he was sent out into human lands, to hopefully keep him from ever being able to return, the High Priest of Odin is hoping he'll be eaten by a monster and never get back.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Detetsu posted:

Wouldn't the obvious loophole be for him to never leave in the first place?

They specifically address that, actually. "He would have left home eventually, to get food or visit his uncle. Even if he was imprisoned, he'd eventually escape and then disaster would surely follow. But I know tha lad. He's so Lawful, if I command him ta stay away until I send for him, he will-- Even if it means spendin' tha rest o' his life exiled!"

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vanadium posted:

I am not really familiar with D&D's magic system, what kind of spell would Redcloak use to create/summon the Xykon clones?

Greater Animate Dead.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I really like this comic. I don't think I can add anything more besides that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

greatn posted:

Ohhhhhh.

If they want to be really confusing they can try Hackmaster 4th edition sometime.

Did that game ever accomplish anything other than ruining Knights of the Dinner Table and turning the comic from an entertaining spoof of DnD and other RPGs to a big advertisement/errata for the game?