Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Minor typo in that one I think - it's Cruella de Vil iirc. Maybe someone with a forums account there could let him know?

So how does the balance look for Roy at the moment? I reckon his collaboration with Shojo in subverting the laws of Azure City will count against him, since that's more of a chaotic good act than lawful. Plus from a metagaming stance I think he's going to be raised knowing he'll have to redeem himself in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I'm guesing this is the same thing that kept him from updating earlier. Probably he was able do draw the first few strips of this arc during the hiatus, but has run out now.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I wonder if Miko made it into LG heaven; maybe there's another reunion coming up?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Karma Guard posted:

They believe that all those gods are really just Epic level PCs. Or something.

Isn't this actually literally true in a couple of cases?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

FMguru posted:

I love grandpa's pride that Roy has made it as a single-classed fighter, like him. Makes perfect sense that a grizzled old-timer has no time for faggotty prestige classes or minmaxing.

Plus the way the rules keep changing has been a running joke since strip #1. I'm guesing Grandpa was originally a 1st-ed fighter who still likes doing things the old-fasioned way.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Always wanted to do this...

New strip is up!!

Not sure the rehosting is even necessary anymore, but still:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Yeah. I think it's going to be a long time before everybody is back together, if ever. Though I hope he at least reunites some of them soon, as having three separate plotlines running simultaneously could get pretty annoying.

Though he hasn't really started on the main story arc yet, so it's kind of hard to predict where he's going to go with this.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Quarex posted:

Hahahaha, what.

I am pretty sure I have already forgotten whatever "thinly-veiled deus ex machina" Vaarsuvius is referring to here. His/her escape seemed pretty logical to me, really.
It was when the death knight was about to kill him/her, and then the severed head of the Xykon's zombie dragon squashed it.

Quarex posted:

Also, I imagine in either the next strip or the one after that we might finally discover why Durkon has not raised Roy. It seems like it will clearly come up.
Err, we already know that? He hasn't raised him because he doesn't have anything to raise.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Does domination have a time limit nowadays, or is it permanent until dispelled or broken in some way?

Also would Roy/Eugene be able to scry on Xykkon/Redcloak, or is that the wrong type of connection for scrying? (I really want to see what they are up to; I have a feeling that they're going to be the focus of the next plot arc).

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Aaaand a new strip is up!

Not much to discuss in this one I feel, though hopefully the next strip might (finally) start the main plot arc rolling.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

New strip is up! Rules jokes galore!

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Are some animals able to see ghosts in 3.5? I'm wondering if Mr Scruffles might yet save the day.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I love doing this.

New strip is up, and it looks like the plot arc is finally getting underway!

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

rantmo posted:

Well to no small extent, he can't update it without killing off at least one major character; Elan. The Bard class isn't going to be in the first PHB, we likely won't get the Bard until PHB II in 2009, and there's no way that Elan can be anything else, it just doesn't work. I hope he just keeps going on with things as they are, it's more than a 3.5 comic, it's a comic about fantasy gaming really and that can stand fine as it is. If anything there's humor to be mined about it not being 4e. It's a finite story from what I've heard and there is an end planned so I figure he'll just keep going on as is.

Though I'll be disappointed if he doesn't work in at least a couple of jokes related to 4ed.

I haven't really been following the 4ed developments since I gave up on PnP a while ago, but the comments I've heard seem to say that you have no chance at higher levels unless you're some variety of magic user. It kind of makes me wonder if Roy is going to dual to mage or something similar at some point (sorry for the 2ed terminology, but I'm out of date). I'ts been stated several times that his Int is really high, and given his family history it would make for an interesting character development.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Sefer posted:

New strip:

I really like this one for some reason. Maybe because it's a bit more subtle than some of the others - a joke about the players and about the game itself rather than a joke about the rules.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

New strip is up!

The guy who called Redcloak threatening to throw people into the rift wins a prize!

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Hate to interrupt you guys mid-flow, but there's a new strip up!

My prediction: the message goes through a few cells, and gets distorted. A lot.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Amused Frog posted:

I hate it too, Elan. This better be worth it :mad:

He'd better get the next strip out sooner than next week, too :argh:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Arctic Baldwin posted:

:siren: New strip is up :siren:

Finally, I get to do one of these

`gok look forward to first person pronouns' had me laughing way more than it should have.

Edit: I'm guessing that hostage is V, and that s/he's the one giving grammar lessons. In fact I'll stick my neck out even further and bet that they were on the island to try and recruit the orc tribes to help fight the hobgoblins (promising them land near the city after it's retaken).

DoctorTristan fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 29, 2008

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Enderwastaken posted:

I like how she turns banjo towards herself while complementing herself. Goes along with the self esteem issues she seems to have.

I think that's just because he flipped the viewpoint - in that panel we're behind the altar (notice how the crossbars are sloping the other way).

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Vicissitude posted:

They might be playing fast and loose with the coup de grace rules. Perhaps considering flat-footed to mean helpless.

I did that sort of thing all the time. I'd just have decreed that he'd stabbed the guy in the heart and the wound was fatal, sod whatever the rules say.

(Plus Burlew doesn't exactly follow the rules strictly anyway).

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

ZorbaTHut posted:

Mark of Justice reference. "He'll get sicker and sicker until he'll be incapable of hurting anyone."

I guess from that description that the curse is a slow progressive penalty to THAC0 and damage.

Remind someone who hasn't played since 2E - successive castings of curses don't usually have a cumulative effect, right? So Belkar is now free to do what he likes until the curse really starts kicking in?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Hey, double strip!

Looks like we're not going to see Roy back for a while, unless maybe that was a bone that Belkar shook out of the boot.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Just as we start complaining that Belkar's random humour is getting too grating, he stops doing it. Sometimes I really do wonder if Burlew reads this thread.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I wonder if we're about to see V's prophecy come true - saying "the right four words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons"? That devil certainly looks capable of conferring "ultimate arcane power", especially given the different possible meanings of 'ultimate'.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

You're forgetting that V considers everything except for him and his magic to be worthless. Doing something like that would be admitting that he might need Elan's help at some point; not something he's about to do.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Did any of the background books ever explain why Belkar chose to become a ranger in the first place? Was it just for the two-weapon fighting skills?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

The upside of working late is that I get to do this again

:siren: New Strip! :siren:

Click here for the full 714x933 image.

I don't really know 3.5E that well, but doesn't Mr Scruffy wandering off suggest that he isn't Belkar's animal companion, but just an abnormally intelligent housecat?

EDIT: /\/\/\/\/\ drat YOU! :argh:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

What's the second word on the window - Blizzard something? I can't find my Godfather DVD to check if it's a reference to something.

Edit: I'm dumb: of course it's `Ristorante'

The Haley and Belkar meatballs were also a nice touch.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Does anyone else feel that the art style is now getting in the way of the story? Stick figures are fine for light-hearted jokes about the game mechanics and archetypes, but a lot of the :words: we've been getting lately could have been conveyed much more concisely with a well-drawn facial expression or two.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Maldraedior posted:

V probably will reason that there is no time for that and instead will have to accept the imp's offer, since he can Teleport and V cannot

And all because he said "disintegrate" four times to an imp that was annoying him...

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Ashcans posted:

But yea, that is a good point. Why is it that dragons seem a little thin on minions, anyway?

Lack of interest? As I remember it they don't particularly care for the company of anyone except (sometimes) other dragons. Having an army of minions might make a human feel powerful and important, but dragons already know they're better than everyone else and don't need to be reminded.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Affi posted:

True Resurrection has probably been house ruled out, otherwise we probably wouldn't have this situation.

Maybe there just aren't any divine spellcasters of a high-enough level in the game world? Or none who'd be willing to help out a black dragon?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Speaking of elves, have we seen any other elves in the strip other than V&company?

I wonder all elves in the land of OOTS are androgynous.

There was Nale's companion who was absolutely not a knock-off of Drizzt, other than that I can't think of anyone.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Vanadium posted:

Meh, that whole hunger for arcane supremacy stuff seemed like a pretty male thing to me.

True, but inverting a gender stereotype like that would be right up Burlew's alley.

(Yes, I know this argument is pointless, but arguing about dumb poo poo is fun).

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Is it just me, or has the hosting for giantitp been getting hammered even more lately? It used to only go down directly after an update, now it's inaccessible most of the time.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Taber posted:

Earlier in the thread: I wonder if V will become a lich.

Now in the thread: Hmmm...The imp said he could probably teleport a lich. I know! Xykon!

There's no way V could complete the rituals in time.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

tazman posted:

I thought that V might become a Lich, but it was said that the rituals are too long. What exactly are the rituals?

Unless more recent editions have changed things, it's unclear/up to the GM. How long they take isn't actually specified, but it's described as a deliberate and unspeakably evil process. I'd think most GMs would probably rule that the rituals themselves take anywhere from several hours to several days, and the necessary preparations take weeks or months.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I wonder if this means we're going to get back to the central plot soon-ish. The devils V's dealing with know about the gates, and the price for their assistance is likely to include V getting to a gate asap and handing it over to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Hehe oops, got my planes mixed up there :) But I can't think of any other likely reason for V being pre-approved.