Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Amazing watching American hero Robin Williams save America from the Russian missile. Truly he was taken from us too soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

Amazing watching American hero Robin Williams save America from the Russian missile. Truly he was taken from us too soon.

On Cinema "Gregg Turkington" can't keep character more than 30 seconds without bringing up a Popcorn Classic. Decker's continuity is so well done that I'm surprised it's on television. A large percentage of the jokes require knowledge of this immensely complicated and bizarre backstory they've created through the web shows. It's actually a really impressive show for that reason, and it's more proof that Adult Swim as a media enterprise "gets" social media and audience interaction/consumer outreach better than just about any other media company.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 9, 2016

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I liked how Gregg had his thumb over Robin Williams' face on the VHS for (at least the expectation?) of legal issues.

And director Frank Oz did a great job too.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
So I've never seen On Cinema or previous Decker episodes. Am I missing out? I told my girlfriend there's a weird movie review show and Decker makes tons of call backs and that's really all I know.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah you kinda need to spend a couple weeks catching up from the beginning (preferably starting with the On Cinema podcast). Otherwise Decker will make zero sense.

Well, maybe that's not true. It probably works well enough as a piece of absurdism when shorn of any context. But you'd be losing out on pretty much all of why it's funny.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

You can get Decker without being familiar with On Cinema, but you're missing out on some of the best jokes. The fake Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkington characters are extremely well defined and extremely poor actors. Their various ticks and traits are completely on show during Decker because they can't actually act (or do movie reviews) without making the show about whatever their current fixation is.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

What would be useful for new people would be a YouTube playlist that puts all the previous seasons of both On Cinema and Decker in chronological order, because the plots of many episodes of On Cinema would revolve around whatever happened on the most recent episode of Decker.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

What would be useful for new people would be a YouTube playlist that puts all the previous seasons of both On Cinema and Decker in chronological order, because the plots of many episodes of On Cinema would revolve around whatever happened on the most recent episode of Decker.

here

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Diabolik900 posted:

The best example of this is Tim burning Gregg's VHS tapes in Decker. Tim is such a terrible human in these shows, and he makes them both break character completely.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nichael posted:

The best example of this is Tim burning Gregg's VHS tapes in Decker. Tim is such a terrible human in these shows, and he makes them both break character completely.

"Break character" but not break character.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

New Eric Andre Show season starts August 5!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Scott Clam needs his own spinoff

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tonight's Decker was probably the single best episode of the show. It was such a perfect take down of climate change deniers. The continuing use of terrible and inexplicable CGI was at its peak tonight too with the circa 1995 CGI strippers walking by.

Data Graham posted:

"Break character" but not break character.

Yeah, you're right. The show is so layered at times that it's hard to describe it. It's Tim playing "Tim" playing Decker.

robot roll call posted:

Dear god, I don't think you'd be able to air something so horrifying on television.

Never ever forgetttttttttttt. Mobin couldn't hack it.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 16, 2016

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Learning so much by watching this show. Can't believe the Illuminati was founded in 1776 under the Washington monument. The truth that Agent Decker is bringing to light should be shared with all.
https://www.globalhoax.info

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

Learning so much by watching this show. Can't believe the Illuminati was founded in 1776 under the Washington monument. The truth that Agent Decker is bringing to light should be shared with all.
https://www.globalhoax.info

Tim Heidecker posted:

If the states wanted the feds to find such a remedy the states would need to ratify an appropriate amendment to the Constitution imo.
Tim's a constitutional scholar imo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Uncle Wrhimm Rahmm is very sick and won't be at the rump roast.

LOVE YA, WRHIMM!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
really awesome cameo by Al Jardine of all people lol

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

robot roll call posted:

Some good Clam Man action in S04E04 Music after the massive lull in Words.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I put my dangus in her rangus.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Mobin couldn't hack it.

Does anyone else find it strange how they can consistently find the weirdest looking "clientele" for extras for Brule?? They all have a ....how would you say...visual stink, about them.

The Mime
Jan 21, 2008

ill get the moose back
So uh... this happened today (skip to 7:30)

https://www.facebook.com/realtimheidecker/videos/vb.288473261199516/1090729747640526/?type=2&theater

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like that the villain in the Global Hoax episode was named Dr. Richard. Guess Tim is still a bit sore at Dr. San.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"What the gently caress? YOU PIECE OF poo poo! WE'RE LIVE!"

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I watched this episode right after having rented London Has Fallen and it was weird for me because the scene where Decker sends his resignation is right out of that movie, down to the fuckup with pressing return instead of clicking the mouse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I loved the fact that he just kind of glossed over the actual meat of the episode just to focus more on his band.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Incredible Check It Out! and Decker this week. I think more format changes for Check It Out! will give it greater longevity. Just look at how Brule would handle any TV genre and not realyl change his character

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I feel kind of stupid because I just realized earlier what the joke was in calling the show Decker.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Now think about the band's name.

And then agent klingston.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like how this episode of Check it Out began as an Oprah/Ellen parody, and then turned into a Jim Bakker parody.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpMjjx-m-BM

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Edit: Executed, hahahahahahaha

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 28, 2016

wretchx
Dec 4, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some silliness from the conventions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRv3hpP923E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfl_SL-wBYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6IvfmjS9lk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs6HrFJmzis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfG1ZrgeLlM

Oh yeah, hooray On Cinema is back!

wretchx fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 28, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Speaking of Eric Andre, I may just go to this on each of the days it's open.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMebqUAY-hY

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

windsor posted:

Oh yeah, hooray On Cinema is back!

"Myayaka, my Ayaka is pregnant with child. Pregnants." On Cinema is going to new disturbing heights. I can't wait to see what happens to Tom Cruise Heidecker II.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muscles like this? posted:

I feel kind of stupid because I just realized earlier what the joke was in calling the show Decker.

i still dont get it can someone explain :(

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

i still dont get it can someone explain :(

Tim Heidecker.

Just like Gregg Turkington. Although that was more because of the in-joke from the first season of Decker where Gregg didn't want to appear so they spliced in his appearance and dialogue from On Cinema.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chairman Capone posted:

Gregg Turkington.

Oh now that one flew right by me.

I was too busy being amused by how they couldn't decide on "Kington" or "Kingston".

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
One of my favorite name jokes is that Tim can never remember what Kington's character's name is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mike_V posted:

One of my favorite name jokes is that Tim can never remember what Kington's character's name is.

The best version of that was Decker calling Kington "Decker" two weeks ago.