Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stalwart Humdinger
Feb 10, 2006

Angst posted:

Oh. See, I think thats my problem with this show and their old one. For some reason I just don't seem to get it. Even when you explain the joke to me I don't think its funny. Sorry.

I think with most of the show there's really nothing to "get." It's just loving weird. Trying to explain it just makes it unfunny. But yeah, if you can't appreciate absurdity for the sake of absurdity then this probably isn't the show for you.

Loving Leader posted:

"In case of a fire, stop drop and roll! I'm Dr. Steve Brule."

That was my favorite part. The way he said all rushed and nervous-like cracked me up. "For your health!"

edit: I watched this on Friday and I'm still cracking up at the huge microphones they clipped to their shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recess Monkey
Aug 16, 2002

Ashamed to say it, but the waiting room sketch had me doubled over with laughter. A guy just sitting on a couch and rubbing his stomach and going "ahhhhhhh" made so little sense that the spacetime of comedy warped and spit it out as funny. Just like the Butt Holes videos that goons either love or hate.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Recess Monkey posted:

Ashamed to say it, but the waiting room sketch had me doubled over with laughter. A guy just sitting on a couch and rubbing his stomach and going "ahhhhhhh" made so little sense that the spacetime of comedy warped and spit it out as funny. Just like the Butt Holes videos that goons either love or hate.

I did not laugh at that sketch until they began to loop the video back and forth continuously, at which point I lost it. This show is so good, but it's definitely not for everybody. I'm really glad that AS took the risk on it, though.

Hurm.
Apr 24, 2006

Nature is a language
can't you read?

I :love: it.

Dr. Steve Brule was the highlight for sure.
"I have no idea what this one is, I.. I didn't ask for this" :laffo:

how high do you think they were at 3:34 AM doing the waiting room sketch?

also, the baby at the beginning scared the poo poo out of me

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I thought a few parts were funny (Hacky Sack Extreme, B'Owl, Tim's dad) but all the screaming and flailing things inbetween sketches, as well as the unjokes like the waiting room part just felt kind of obnoxious. My favorite part of TGTTM was the stupid commercials and other live-actiony parts, but when the link between them is just a malformed shrieking child head or something else disturbing every two minutes then it's not that funny.

The intro and credits were so over-the-top that I enjoyed them immensely, however. It seems like it has the potential to be completely terrible or unexpectedly genius, much in the same way TGTTM seemed to be one or the other almost at random.

delirious pancake
Dec 29, 2006
in your grocer's freezer
It was okay, I guess -- some parts made me laugh (Eric rubbing his stomach and squealing on loop), but overall it just made me miss TGTTM. I really liked Saul of the Mole Men, though. Is there any word on whether TGTTM is getting another season? I think I heard an announcement of some sort a while back, but I'm drawing a blank on what it actually was.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Did I miss this? gently caress. What time was it on and does anybody know when it'll be on again?

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Sandwolf posted:

Did I miss this? gently caress. What time was it on and does anybody know when it'll be on again?

Just go to http://www.adultswimfix.com and watch it.

STOP MAKING SENSE
Mar 31, 2003

This ain't no foolin' around.
The commercials for the second episode look hilarious to me believe it or not... I mean I hated this weeks episode but whatever. Maybe its growing on me.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

agony spire posted:

GREAT JOB

B-owl and hackey sack extreme oh man

they played the b-owl bit on tom green. But tom just called it the bowl clip. They had this retarded look, like "wait, oh wtf it is bowl. Are joke is loving dumb"

Made me laugh.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Just finished watching it on Adult Swim Fix, and it was pretty good, not the best show in the world, but OK. I'll watch next weeks episode to see if I continue to watch it.

Matilda the Hun
Feb 2, 2007
Blitzkrieg!
Hmm. I think this show is going to be a lot like Stella: it won't start making you laugh until you're so used to the show's stupid sense of humor that you can tell where the jokes are supposed to be. Most people probably won't watch the show enough to get to that point, so it'll get cancelled pretty soon and it's hardcore internet fanbase will complain about how nobody got it for months afterward.

And that's not an insult, I loved Stella. I'm still pissed off that it isn't running anymore. And I liked this show too, though it was really uneven and I hope they find a better medium between "look how funny being awkward is" and "hey an actual joke". But that's just me.

COOLGUY TRUE
Jan 7, 2005

Too True! Cool, too.
I love Tim and Eric and this show was pretty funny and I can only see it getting funnier.

I seem to like most "polarizing" shows, probably because most "polarizing" humor is absurdist and that is my fave.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
Dr Steve Brule was the highlight for me. I also get a kick out of the married news team, only because their relationship seems so bizarre. Not to mention Wayne Skyler has the most disturbing facial hair I've ever seen.

The bees call was great as well. I don't know whether to feel sorry or envious of a kid named Spraynard Kruger.

I generally come around to liking everything on Adult Swim aside from some of their anime picks. I was put off by the Tim and Eric promos showing that one guy vomiting, since gross-out humor isn't my thing. But screaming monster-children and surreal humor is definitely up my alley.

Makes me miss Frank Leaves for the Orient. Someday I'll track down every episode of that show. All 7 or so. :cry:

The Worst
Feb 25, 2006

death from above
:ohdear:
Ill be watching every week just for the Uncle Muscle's hour. At least that is alittle like TGTTM

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Psychopsilocybin posted:

Ill be watching every week just for the Uncle Muscle's hour. At least that is alittle like TGTTM

I still go on YouTube and load up Big Ben whenever I'm feeling down and need a laff or two. It's about the best 30 seconds of video available on that site.

I'm getting the idea this thread is gonna be like the Howard Stern threads on GBS -- it'll be a constant struggle for the fans to keep the rating at 3 or above. :v:

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

The_Danish_King posted:

I :love: it.

Dr. Steve Brule was the highlight for sure.
"I have no idea what this one is, I.. I didn't ask for this" :laffo:

how high do you think they were at 3:34 AM doing the waiting room sketch?

also, the baby at the beginning scared the poo poo out of me

That segment was so wonderful I doubled over with laughter just seeing that screencap. Great show. I like it more than I liked Tom Goes to the Mayor, and I own a Rats of to You t-shirt.

La Fin Du Mondale
Aug 22, 2004
This is the first new show Adult Swim has shown in a while that I've enjoyed to the point of looking forward to next weeks episode. I'm glad that they're still willing to show completely insane and polarizing television like this.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
oh gently caress me I'm so going to that tour thing when it gets to the Croc here in Seattle.

Lordy Loo I'm glad I clicked in here

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New episode up on the Fix. I've got to say, this episode is a lot better than the first one.

"Smells like meat...

Rotten meat.

Why would you bring that here? Kids you stupid mother fuckers."

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I only saw the first episode and I wasn't disappointed. I expected for it to suck and it did.

I hope it gets mildly tolerable like TGTTM, but the only thing that ever amused me in that were the random words they would change the sounds of.

Well I'd like it to be awesome but I don't think it'll be my kind of show, but I did like Saul.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

muscles like this? posted:

New episode up on the Fix. I've got to say, this episode is a lot better than the first one.

Now see, I feel the opposite. I didn't think it was half as funny as the first one. But then again, I'm the one guy that thought Tom Goes to the Mayor got worse as it went on and not better. Eh!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rocco posted:

Now see, I feel the opposite. I didn't think it was half as funny as the first one. But then again, I'm the one guy that thought Tom Goes to the Mayor got worse as it went on and not better. Eh!

The reason I liked this one better was quite a bit more structure. It didn't seem quite as half-hazard. The only sketch that I felt fell short in this one was the Brule one. It was funny, but not as good as the previous. The rest was better however.

Stalwart Humdinger
Feb 10, 2006
This episode was amazing. Dr. Brule is definitely my favorite character, although the "do do DO do" dance guy was pretty great too. "Now think about your dad! Tell me about that dad! What's your dad like? Do do DO do!" Awesome.

Oh, and I made these gifs for some guy's avatar thread, but he didn't end up using any of them so I figured I'd post them here.

trips
Jun 4, 2001

posca
Jesus Christ. "Doo Dah Doo Doo" sold me on this show. Watch the second episode if you were disappointed by the first.

Also, am I the only one who's really trying to like Saul of the Molemen but can't? I know the script is supposed to be lazy, but it's kinda too lazy.

edit: oops

trips fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 17, 2007

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
haha the second episode was a little better than the first. the dance video was great

they really have to ditch the deformed baby though, that poo poo isn't funny. not because it's offensive or anything, just because it's devoid of humor

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 17, 2007

agony spire
Jun 13, 2001
I still like the first episode better because of the uncle muscles hour (I seriously have that song stuck in my head ugfhdfg) and a better Steve Brule appearance, but this one was pretty good. Eric reading the letter then seeing Tim with limp lip along with the rolo jingle session was great.

The hairy baby thing is pretty lame though since they keep showing it.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

trips posted:

Also, am I the only one who's really trying to like Saul of the Molemen but can't? I know the script is supposed to be lazy, but it's kinda too lazy.

I feel the same way. This show just SCREAMS at me like it's something that should totally be up my alley. But man, I can't even stomach it anymore.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Stalwart Humdinger posted:

Oh god, I'd make this my avatar if I could figure out how to save it as a .gif instead of a .bmp.

Stalwart Humdinger
Feb 10, 2006

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Oh god, I'd make this my avatar if I could figure out how to save it as a .gif instead of a .bmp.

Internet Explorer never lets me save pictures as anything other than .bmps, but I have to use it because the forums don't work for me in Firefox. :saddowns:

Try saving it in Firefox or something else.

Gpig
Feb 16, 2007

woof

muscles like this? posted:

The reason I liked this one better was quite a bit more structure. It didn't seem quite as half-hazard.

Yeah, I agree with the structure part. The problem with the premier was that the really good sketches like the Spraynard and b'owl ones were in the second half so people were already hating it before that rolled around. The b'owl sketch could have been taken directly from an episode from Mr. Show. This one seemed to start strong and get weaker towards the end. I loved the opening sketch with the black and white head shots and the huge amounts of makeup/tan.

The baby isn't funny, and I have a feeling it's going to be in every episode.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I'm loving the second episode so far. Especially the beginning.

YancyDCjew
Feb 28, 2002

My name's Spagett, I do parties, and you just take my card, and if you need someone to spook ya-

Stalwart Humdinger posted:

This episode was amazing. Dr. Brule is definitely my favorite character, although the "do do DO do" dance guy was pretty great too. "Now think about your dad! Tell me about that dad! What's your dad like? Do do DO do!" Awesome.

Oh, and I made these gifs for some guy's avatar thread, but he didn't end up using any of them so I figured I'd post them here.

Time for a change, I'm going to use the third one, I think. Thanks.

ataridc
Aug 30, 2005

I've loved everything about this show, and I watched the first episode 3 times.

Of course, I realized I'd be in the vocal minority when it had the Tim and Eric name on it. I don't know how these guys do it, but they're really good at making people hate them loudly.

ataridc fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 17, 2007

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Rocco posted:

I feel the same way. This show just SCREAMS at me like it's something that should totally be up my alley. But man, I can't even stomach it anymore.

just let it mellow with age. I think the expectations are a bit high for these shows. If you dont like them, come back to them in a few months...you might be in a diffrent mindset by then.

Tim and eric is what was so right about mr show.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 17, 2007

trips
Jun 4, 2001

posca

incoherent posted:

just let it mellow with age. I think the expectations are a bit high for these shows. If you dont like them, come back to them in a few months...you might be in a diffrent mindset by then.

I don't know about that; I'd say Tom Goes to the Mayor would be more of a "wine comparison" show. Even when I didn't like it, I still laughed once or twice. Saul, on the other hand, is like a baby that refuses to leave the womb. The whole performance just screams and screams and cuts the word POTENTIAL into its flesh and forces me to watch, and so it seems like it's teasing me by lacking anything humorous in its bloody output. What specific things did you Saul fans find amusing in those two episodes? I don't mean any offense -- actually, I'm still hoping that I'll agree with you in a few weeks. Like Rocco said, something just bothers me about this. Maybe it's because I haven't slept in days...

ataridc
Aug 30, 2005

trips posted:

What specific things did you Saul fans find amusing in those two episodes?

Johnny Tamborine

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

incoherent posted:

Yeah, that can be said about all Adult Swim shows. I thought Minoriteam was crap at first myself, but now I pine for dvds.

Stalwart Humdinger
Feb 10, 2006
I'm glad people are using the avatars I made. I think this is another one of those shows, like Futurama and Metalocalypse, that's just full of animated gif-worthy moments. :)

edit:

fennec fox posted:

Yeah, that can be said about all Adult Swim shows. I thought Minoriteam was crap at first myself, but now I pine for dvds.

I thought motherfucking Venture Brothers was crap at first. Believe me, I have since seen the error of my ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSideofTheMoon
May 20, 2001
Ninja of Bermuda

ataridc posted:

Johnny Tamborine

And when Saul stabbed the king right in the loving face.