Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Directed by: Bill Condon
Starring: Jennifer Hudson, Jamie Foxx, Beyonce Knowles, Eddie Murphy, Anika Noni Rose

Plot summary (truncated from All Movie Guide): In the 1960s, the female singing trio "the Dreamettes" are discovered at a talent show by ambitious manager Curtis Taylor, Jr. (Foxx) and offered the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity of opening for popular singer James "Thunder" Early (Murphy). Subsequently molded into an unstoppable hit machine by Taylor and propelled into the spotlight as "the Dreams," the girls quickly find their bid for the big time taking priority over personal friendship as Taylor edges out the ultra-talented Effie (Hudson) so that the more beautiful Deena (Knowles) can become the face of the group. Based on the 1981 musical, which was in turn based on the history of the Supremes.

I really enjoyed Dreamgirls. The story is very lively and intriguing, and the music, although making little of a lasting impression on me, rarely falters in enjoyability as it's performed by a great cast. Jennifer Hudson completely acquitted herself of any doubts that a former American Idol contestant could do justice to the showcase role of Effie; I loved her work during both the musical numbers and dramatic scenes. Bill Condon did great work on Chicago a few years ago, but even better work here; the movie's visual style is rich and enveloping.

The only real complaint, which I've heard echoed by many people, is that the movie is a bit confusing in how it integrates the musical component; although the vast majority of the songs are numbers being performed by the characters in a logical context (on-stage during a concert, or in a recording booth), there are a few that follow the more traditional, but less believable approach of being sung spontaneously, taking the place of dialogue and exposition. The mix is just rather puzzling, and I wish the movie had committed more to using one method, or both in equal shares. It's not a big problem, though.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Good music, lively cinematography and direction, outstanding cast
CONS: Not quite committed to how it integrates music and story

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443489/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU