Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Directed by: Richard Eyre
Starring: Judi Dench, Cate Blanchett, Bill Nighy, Andrew Simpson

Barbara Covett (Dench) is the most formidable teacher at the lower-class British school where she works, and she didn't get there by being a pushover. She's strict, demanding, and as calculating as a serial killer. Unsurprisingly, this hasn't won her a lot of friendships among her peers, and she relishes the warmth that begins to develop between herself and Sheba Hart (Blanchett), a lovely, liberal new art teacher at the school. As their relationship continues, Barbara stumbles upon a dangerous secret Sheba is concealing, and she loses no time in using it to further her own most fervent desires. "I realized I could gain everything by doing nothing," she writes in her journal.

Dench is absolutely perfect as she embodies Barbara's overwhelming bitterness and cruelty, and even more so, the intense loneliness that bred it. She is scary as all hell, and it's delicious. Blanchett is pretty great as well, playing a bohemian free spirit who falls prey to her own refusal to recognize the properness of boundaries. The interaction between the two women is the core of the movie, but Bill Nighy is flawless as Sheba's significantly older husband (who left his own wife to be with Sheba; the ex still comes over for Christmas dinner).

It's not too difficult to guess where the plot is going, but why bother when the ride is this enjoyable? The joy in observing any scandal is in the emotions that led up to the act, and those that follow from its revelation: the greed, the longing, the betrayal, the shame and fear of consequences. Notes on a Scandal brilliantly plays out all of these and more until you're dizzy. Watch a stupid horror movie if you want to see people scream; watch this if you want to see people feel.

RATING: 5

PROS: Totally awesome
CONS: Not entirely unpredictable

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465551/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyFridayFace
Dec 5, 2006

I don’t think you’re happy enough!
Well acted and believable. And Dench's soliloquy in the bathtub is a scene you simply will not forget... EVER

5/5

Viconia
Jul 11, 2005

Oh, right. I know a lot about lifting curses. That's why I'm a disembodied talking skull sitting on top of a spike in the middle of a swamp.
Wow. Simply wow. See this movie. Judi Dench plays an amazing role.

5/5

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Great acting all around. Dench is incredible. The film however, just doesn't grip and create excitement for me. You know what is going to happen and you watch it go about happening. A great movie, but not that fun.

4/5

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
I was surprised by this movie, it was only featured in an essai-style theater... extremely well made, as the others said, Dench is great. Women beating each other on screen is always fun, too.

5/5

Curt
Nov 12, 2003
Yeah, cool.
I walked into this expecting some sort of played out girl-drama... what I got was an awesome movie. Very well made.

5/5

sriram
Mar 21, 2001
IN THE NEXXXXXXXXT WORLD WAAAAAAARR >___< JACK KNIFED JUGGERNAUT I AM BORN AGAIN
Wow, Judi Dench really plays it down well. Oh, how it is to be lonely.

Reminded me of this entry on vomitus.com

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Very well acted on all accounts, but a bit shallow on the fleshing out of characters. On second thought, mostly just Dench's character and her exposition felt too typical/shallow for a person of such verbositiy. Blanchette and her family nail every tension-filled moment on screen.

Edit: The desperation driven character development was of course very rich, i just felt it was too contextual, i wanted her to expand beyond a scant few lines of her past. She sells the horror of being alone, while only hinting at her progression to this point. Somehow kept it from being a total story or something...

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 26, 2007