Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

I work for a large building manufacturer, and in the last few years have revamped their IT department drastically (waaaay overdone in a lot of ways). Anyway, they've obviously been installing tons of spyware or something totally needless on our computers.

Here is a picture of my systems processes:

Oh by they way, my AutoCAD workstation has a whopping 768 mb of ram (after I stole 256 from a computer, after they refused to upgrade my system), and notice how much memory is being used RIGHT AFTER BOOT... I have run Outlook, and xplorer, that's it.

Ok, I admit a few of those memory using programs are mine, but I'll tell you what they are:
-Ultramon - multiple-monitor utility that i'm certain uses a few mb's of memory tops.
-MSN - self-explanitory
-Foldershare - microsoft foldersharing program (again uses much less than 10 mbs of memory)

That's it...

the big "svchost.exe" gets to over 100mb often... I sometimes end it which seems to help a lot, but I need it running to scan things to my computer

Can anyone identify what some of those other processes are, and what I don't actually need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Your windows update service seems to be taking up alot of memory (wuauclt.exe). Of course macafee anything slows up computers pretty good as well.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at Feb 28, 2007 around 17:56

DevastatorIIC
Nov 13, 2006

Dvorak- Ubuntu- KDE- and Opera-fag

If you can get to msconfig, clean out startup.

You could also google the name of each of the processes - liutilities is a pretty good resource.

Personally, I've never seen inetinfo or mcshield, which seem to take up a lot. Also, explorer is taking up 74 megs?

As to svchost being hoggy, it's usually Automatic Updates complaining about something.

Also, next time this should go in Haus of Tech Support.

Scaryfroman
Mar 23, 2006

I'm going back... and I'm bringing new curtains.

DevastatorIIC posted:

Personally, I've never seen inetinfo or mcshield, which seem to take up a lot. Also, explorer is taking up 74 megs?

inetinfo is a windows debugging process. mcshield is MacAfee antivirus, and that's more or less normal resource use for it.

Looks like you don't have any spyware. Probably just windows not being happy about something.

vegit0r
Apr 24, 2003

not the witty king

Turn off automatic updates, get rid of McAfee, disable msn messenger from running in the background[open msnm Tools>options>pref. uncheck top 2] (unless you use it).

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

DevastatorIIC posted:

Also, next time this should go in Haus of Tech Support.
yep.

DevastatorIIC posted:

mcshield is McAffee... which is ironic, because inetinfo is this:

http://www.liutilities.com/products...brary/inetinfo/

Description:
inetinfo.exe is used primarily for debugging Microsoft Windows Server Internet Information Services. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Note: inetinfo.exe is a process which is registered as IIS Admin Service Helper. This virus is distributed via the Internet through e-mail and comes in the form of an e-mail message, in the hopes that you open its hostile attachment. The worm has its own SMTP engine which means it gathers E-mails from your local computer and re-distributes itself. In worst cases this worm can allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. This process is a security risk and should be removed from your system.

Determining whether inetinfo.exe is a virus or a legitimate Windows process depends on the directory location it executes or runs from in WinTasks.
Click Here to Scan Your PC including inetinfo.exe to Detect any Security Threat

Recommendation for inetinfo.exe:
inetinfo.exe should not be disabled, required for essential applications to work properly. It is highly recommended to Run a Free Performance Scan to automatically optimize memory, CPU and Internet settings.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Kashwashwa posted:

(after I stole 256 from a computer, after they refused to upgrade my system)

And at the same time you probably can't understand why the IT staff seem to hate you in particular.

zim
Sep 28, 2001

price check on oink

Nifty little thing I use:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

lets you delete/disable anything in the registry or startup folder that automatically runs when you boot up

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

thanks for the info all,

Lafarga posted:

And at the same time you probably can't understand why the IT staff seem to hate you in particular.

don't be an IT nerd-hero and pretend you know what your talking about.

1. It is ENGINEERING that gets low priority - not me in particular
2. I've never done anything to tick IT off in the 5 years I've been here
3. They don't know I've taken that ram, the computer I took it from hasn't been used in 2 years.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Kashwashwa posted:

don't be an IT nerd-hero and pretend you know what your talking about.

You've performed an unauthorized cannibalization of unused company equipment to improve the performance of your own equipment, and told us about it in the same thread you accused your IT people of installing spyware on your PC. You also demonstrated your lack of PC technical experience by telling us about how you occasionally kill svchost even though you don't know what it actually does.

In short, your relationship with your IT staff is obviously extremely bad and unless you start paying attention to it and stop treating them like the adversary, the situation is only going to deteriorate. You're going to end up breaking something important in your Windows installation, you'll have to ask them for help, and then they're going to think "why was he disabling important system services, and where did he get this memory upgrade".

You are the one who's going to suffer if you maintain this sort of relationship with your IT people. If you think they're so incompetent that you cannot communicate with them effectively, then discuss this problem with management, don't go trying to fix the problems you think they've created. It's obvious from your posts in this thread that regardless of how competent or incompetent your IT people are you are not qualified to make this determination, and their level of competence or incompetence does not give you special dispensation to break company rules.

Also, it's "you're".

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Lafarga posted:

You are the one who's going to suffer if you maintain this sort of relationship with your IT people. If you think they're so incompetent that you cannot communicate with them effectively, then discuss this problem with management, don't go trying to fix the problems you think they've created. It's obvious from your posts in this thread that regardless of how competent or incompetent your IT people are you are not qualified to make this determination, and their level of competence or incompetence does not give you special dispensation to break company rules.

Also, it's "you're".

I can see you either work for an extremely well managed (but ridiculously rare) company, or you don't work for a real company at all.

Discuss a problem with management? hahah....

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

I have to work tech support? Rage

Kashwashwa posted:

I can see you either work for an extremely well managed (but ridiculously rare) company, or you don't work for a real company at all.

I think you have a problem with communication skills. No wonder you're up poo poo creek.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

I can see that everyone from IT departments are chiming in now with their wonderful replies as to why I "suck at life" and the like.

In any case, I can assure you I have a good relationship with the IT people I deal with - as already stated it is ENGINEERING BUDGET that determined whether I got a Ram upgrade or not. In fact the head computer support is a friend of the family, and my brother went to college with / was friends with a different computer tech before he began working here.

You simply have no idea of the context of this situation at all, and are making assumptions that show how short-sighted you are.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Kashwashwa posted:

You simply have no idea of the context of this situation at all, and are making assumptions that show how short-sighted you are.

And you posted a help me with my computer machine thread in the main forum instead of the tech support forum which shows that you can't follow directions and therefore probably shouldn't be helped in the first place. Or am I making an assumption as well?

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

quote:

Haus of Tech Support
- Post here if you have a hardware or software problem/malfunction with your home computer.

This is my work computer.

casseopei
Jun 21, 2006

Kashwashwa posted:

I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon here or anything, but you thought svchost was spyware that your IT department installed. I may not know the exact details of your company situation, but even if you were friends with me and I was head of your IT department you would still be a problem user.

I'm not saying they hate you or anything, I'm just saying that everything you've said in this thread wouldn't make you my favorite person in the world and that if you went at it with an alternate approach you might get better results, because the problem isn't "spyware the IT department installed".

Kashwashwa posted:

However, that forum is for stupid little problems that mess up your ability to do things on a single machine with amazingly simple solutions, which is what your problem is. Don't be saucy.

casseopei fucked around with this message at Feb 28, 2007 around 20:09

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

casseopei posted:

I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon here or anything, but you thought svchost was spyware that your IT department installed. I may not know the exact details of your company situation, but even if you were friends with me and I was head of your IT department you would still be a problem user.

I'm not saying they hate you or anything, I'm just saying that everything you've said in this thread wouldn't make you my favorite person in the world and that if you went at it with an alternate approach you might get better results, because the problem isn't "spyware the IT department installed".

I didn't necessarily think "svchost.exe" was spyware, I just ended it when I was trying to print a huge amount of drawings to prevent the system from locking up or something in order to be able to actually print them - and it allowed me to do what I had to while maintaining a running system...

I guess the 63 mb wuauclt.exe was suspect, mcshield, and some of these smaller ones like spoolsv, asfagent, mgabg, I thought perhaps were eating memory that was totally unnecessary

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

casseopei posted:

However, that forum is for stupid little problems that mess up your ability to do things on a single machine with amazingly simple solutions, which is what your problem is. Don't be saucy.

seriously how could I not take that bait

Jim Silly-Balls
Jun 6, 2001

Fondle my shiny metal ass

Kashwashwa posted:

You either work for a completely retarded, backwards company, or you dont know what you are talking about.

Why cant you talk to management? Is your company that small and/or horribly run that you cant go over your IT workers head if you have a serious issue? Well-managed companies are not at all rare, people who know how to work well with competent management seem to be fairly rare, however.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

or horribly run

my department did close to 40 million in sales last year, and couldnt fit my ram (any that is, I wasnt the only that asked) in the engineering budget.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Kashwashwa posted:

I can see that everyone from IT departments are chiming in now with their wonderful replies as to why I "suck at life" and the like.

You don't suck at life. You are a problem user. We know this because we, as professionals, have dealt with problem users in the past and know what they look like. The primary symptom is that they think they know better than their IT staff, regardless of their actual level of technical competency.

You have demonstrated in this thread that you are not technically competent (re: svchost), but at the same time you think you know better that your IT staff about how to manage your company's technology resources. Therefore we have come to the obvious conclusion.

It doesn't make you a bad person or an rear end in a top hat or something.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Lafarga posted:

You don't suck at life. You are a problem user. We know this because we, as professionals, have dealt with problem users in the past and know what they look like. The primary symptom is that they think they know better than their IT staff, regardless of their actual level of technical competency.

You have demonstrated in this thread that you are not technically competent (re: svchost), but at the same time you think you know better that your IT staff about how to manage your company's technology resources. Therefore we have come to the obvious conclusion.

It doesn't make you a bad person or an rear end in a top hat or something.

I know I am not technically competent, however I do know better than my managers about how to manage SOME of my company's technology resources.

The IT staff didn't decide to say no, it was out of the budget. Why? they bought 20" Dell LCD monitors for all engineering, and far too many extras... (there are a number than havent been used in over a year)

With that Ram I would be substantially faster at what I do, rather than having that extra LCD sitting there depreciating.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

What?

Kashwashwa posted:

I guess the 63 mb wuauclt.exe was suspect, mcshield, and some of these smaller ones like spoolsv, asfagent, mgabg, I thought perhaps were eating memory that was totally unnecessary

Ending spoolsv when you need to print sounds like a great idea.

Coupon
Jun 12, 2002

Phat_Albert posted:

Why cant you talk to management?

If he ran the following script, piped it to a text file, and emailed it to his IT department, I am sure it would help out his situation.

code:
print "\x49\x27\x6d\x20\x61\x20\x66\x75\x63\x6b\x73\x74\x69\x63
\x6b\x2c\x20\x70\x6c\x65\x61\x73\x65\x20\x64\x69\x73\x72\x65
\x67\x61\x72\x64\x20\x6d\x65\x2e\x6e";

casseopei
Jun 21, 2006

Kashwashwa posted:

I know I am not technically competent, however I do know better than my managers about how to manage SOME of my company's technology resources.

The IT staff didn't decide to say no, it was out of the budget. Why? they bought 20" Dell LCD monitors for all engineering, and far too many extras... (there are a number than havent been used in over a year)

With that Ram I would be substantially faster at what I do, rather than having that extra LCD sitting there depreciating.

Have you brought this up with your IT department? If they were unresponsive, have you brought it up with management in your department or the IT department? If you go about it in a friendly, nice way, I don't see how this could be a problem, even with bad management. If people care about you as a person, they'll be more responsive to problems that could be considered whining and bitching at first glance. You have no idea how many people's computers don't run as fast as they want them to because "the gigabytes need to be upgraded!".

If you keep the attitude that you just had in the message I quoted, no one's going to care about you unless it's a measure of last resort. Because you think you know better than the IT department when it's fairly obvious that, all things aside, you probably don't. That's it.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

Kashwashwa posted:

The fact that you believe your management to be incompetent does not justify ignoring company rules. There is a term for people who think they know better than management and break the rules because they think they know how to improve efficiency, it's "unemployed".

The problem here is not "this memory was sitting there unused", it is that you did not simply ask "since there isn't money in the budget for system upgrades, can we cannibalize the memory out of one of these old computers to improve performance on the ones we have".

Either they would have said "yes" and you would have the same upgrade without attempting to end-run around company policy, or they would have said "no" and given you a reason. Perhaps they are planning on using those systems later this year for some purpose. You do not know because you did not ask.

Instead, you just went and did it without asking for permission. I discovered a user doing something similar a while back at a previous job, and the result was the retrieval of the "borrowed" part, some rather upset management, and improved security measures for the company's physical IT resources. If the employee had asked instead of just doing it, we probably would have said "yes" and I wouldn't have had to go up two flights of stairs to get spare parts from the locked storage area for the rest of the time I was there.

Again, you are treating your IT people (and apparently the management) as an adversary instead of as a resource. This suggests that you will not be there long. I wish you luck.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø

I see avgserv.exe on there, are you running 2 antivirus programs at the same time or something?

------------
avgserv.exe - avgserv - Process Information
Process File: avgserv.exe or avgserv
Process Name: AVG AntiVirus

Click Here to Run a Free Scan for avgserv.exe Related Errors

Description:
avgserv.exe is a process belonging to the AVG AntiVirus Internet security application, and deals with the security of your computer in real-time. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.
Click Here to Scan Your PC including avgserv.exe to Detect any Security Threat

Recommendation for avgserv.exe:
avgserv.exe should not be disabled, required for essential applications to work properly. It is highly recommended to Run a Free Performance Scan to automatically optimize memory, CPU and Internet settings.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

nex posted:

I see avgserv.exe on there, are you running 2 antivirus programs at the same time or something?

Anecdotal evidence, true story: "I put AVG on the laptop because it's free and I hear it pretty good. I didn't figure you'd mind because it's free and doesn't cost us anything."

"Well yes, but we already had Symantec Corporate AV installed, since we have a site license for it, and you didn't remove it before installing AVG."

"Oh, is that what that icon is for?"

Archr5
Sep 26, 2003

Trying desperately to be popular since 1982.

Lafarga posted:

Anecdotal evidence, true story: "I put AVG on the laptop because it's free and I hear it pretty good. I didn't figure you'd mind because it's free and doesn't cost us anything."

"Well yes, but we already had Symantec Corporate AV installed, since we have a site license for it, and you didn't remove it before installing AVG."

"Oh, is that what that icon is for?"

not to mention AVG is not free for corporate use... I run into this all the time. Or at least i used to before we removed installation priveledges from each and every user on the network because people couldn't resist the temptations of installing Itunes and whatever else they want.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø

Yes, iTunes is on that system aswell.. See the ipod* prosesses.

Also I wonder if that xplorer2.exe replacement for Explorer came as a default install, because I bet that could cause some instability in the system.

I guess the OP is the reason you never should let users install stuff on their systems.

Jim Silly-Balls
Jun 6, 2001

Fondle my shiny metal ass

Kaswashwa posted:

I know I am not technically competent, however I do know better than my managers

HOW MANY TERRRAFLOPS IS MY HARD DRIVE?!?!? MY KEYBOARD IS A KILLER APP!!! I AM A POWER USER WHEN ARE WE UPGRADING TO MS VITSA I NEED IT FOR MY JOB AND PRODUCTIVITY BUT I DONT KNOW WHY, I DONT RECOGNIZE PAGEFILE.SYS I WANT TO DELETE IT, IT IS TAKING UP ALL OF THE RAM ON MY HARD DRIVE. BEND TO MY WILL RAAAR!!!

Trust me buddy, there are tons of guys like you in every company, and IT people can spot them from a mile off.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.

Another note to the OP: Mem usage is far from the whole truth. A process can have several hundred megabytes allocated without necessarily clogging up the system. Why? Swap space. That is, unless you have deactivated your pagefile, which lots of "problem users" seem to like doing.

Lafarga
Apr 18, 2002

by Fistgrrl

nex posted:

I guess the OP is the reason you never should let users install stuff on their systems.

It really depends on the users. Engineers tend towards the "power user" mode of operation, so you want to either lock their machines down tight, or just refuse to take responsibility for them at all. I've found that the later works well.

"My PC won't connect to the server."

"Wait, this isn't... You've done something to this PC but I can't tell exactly what. Did you uninstall SP4 or something?"

"I couldn't get the sound card working so I borrowed an NT install CD from a friend and reinstalled the system last night after hours. The sound still doesn't work but I figured I can fix that later, but I need to be on the server to get back to the project. What's a Service Pack?"

"You are now officially on the 'not my problem' list. I'll be informing your manager later that you will be administering your own workstation. If you want me to take responsibility for your computer again, you will need to let me reload it from the base image, which does not include sound drivers because they make NT less stable."

Two weeks later: "I've backed up all my personal crap, can you reload my PC now?"

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Just getting back to the OP, I've found that windows update is almost always a dog. Of course, killing the automatic update process and the associated svchost won't really help too much because then they'll just start over next time from the beginning.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Boys have a penis, girls have a COOOOOOOKIE

Kashwashwa posted:

I hate you.

Kashwashwa posted:

seriously how could I not take that bait

I hate you more.

Kashwashwa posted:

Kashwashwa posted:

my department did close to 40 million in sales last year, and couldnt fit my ram (any that is, I wasnt the only that asked) in the engineering budget.

I'm thinking about making GBS threads in your cereal.

Kashwashwa posted:

I didn't necessarily think "svchost.exe" was spyware, I just ended it when I was trying to print a huge amount of drawings to prevent the system from locking up or something in order to be able to actually print them - and it allowed me to do what I had to while maintaining a running system...

Please, please end spoolsv while you're printing. Oh god please.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Kashwashwa posted:

Man they should have bought some of that non-depreciating technology! Fools.

Z
Jun 25, 2002

As a (former) IT guy.

God I hate other IT people.

Edit: It's been pointed out to me that time may have softened my memories of the experience, and users really are scum.

Z fucked around with this message at Feb 28, 2007 around 23:12

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Still me @ ur poasting
HD Edition

Phat_Albert posted:

HOW MANY TERRRAFLOPS IS MY HARD DRIVE?!?!? MY KEYBOARD IS A KILLER APP!!! I AM A POWER USER WHEN ARE WE UPGRADING TO MS VITSA I NEED IT FOR MY JOB AND PRODUCTIVITY BUT I DONT KNOW WHY, I DONT RECOGNIZE PAGEFILE.SYS I WANT TO DELETE IT, IT IS TAKING UP ALL OF THE RAM ON MY HARD DRIVE. BEND TO MY WILL RAAAR!!!

Trust me buddy, there are tons of guys like you in every company, and IT people can spot them from a mile off.
Sadly I have had to deal with passive aggressive versions of those people before.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 9, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

What the gently caress does Autocad need that RAM for anyway? It's not like it's pushing a system to its limits with its bleeding edge graphics.

Edit: Also, your like the one guy that insisted on having dual screens because "I NEED THEM FOR MY WORK ARGH I NEED A NEW GRAPHICS CARD" where I last worked. He was no end of trouble even when he got what he wanted.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at Feb 28, 2007 around 23:36

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

There does appear to be spyware, such as the two different windows update clients... but I don't think your IT department has installed it.

Perhaps you should bring this to your IT departments attention? They'll likely be honest about any poo poo they do to monitor you, and maybe even over do it.

The purpose of monitoring software is to make sure people don't do certain things, and not trick them into getting themselves fired.

Space Robot posted:

What the gently caress does Autocad need that RAM for anyway? It's not like it's pushing a system to its limits with its bleeding edge graphics.

Edit: Also, your like the one guy that insisted on having dual screens because "I NEED THEM FOR MY WORK ARGH I NEED A NEW GRAPHICS CARD" where I last worked. He was no end of trouble even when he got what he wanted.

Autocad: Depends on if it's doing 3d stuff or not I guess.
Guys like that: I always talk to management about those guys. I tell them that it would be a small advantage for the guy to have it, but it's a silly expense and IT doesn't have the budget for it. We will support it if the department buys it, and if anybody else asks why so-and-so has dual monitors, I'm going to tell them he had management approval.

IT is not there to decide who does and who doesn't get pampered on the job, that's what management is for. What sucks is when you're problem user is also the owner of the company.

Examples:
WE NEED VISTER!!!
LETS INSTALL EXCHANGE 2007 BETA!
THIS SMART PHONE DOES NOT WORK WITH MY CAR'S BLUETOOTH! GET A NEW ONE!

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at Feb 28, 2007 around 23:54

«3 »