Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Endor
Aug 15, 2001

Grrn posted:

Just to explain about the subject:
I'm in my first serious relationship, teach full time at the high school level, and consider myself a high level raider in World of Warcraft (high level meaning 5 raid nights a week, and two off nights, each night being 4+ hours of raiding in addition to any necessary time spent doing other things to prepare for raids).

Regardless of the balance you may or may not achieve in your relationship, what you are currently telling your girlfriend by your actions is that WoW is more important than her. You apparently spend 20+ hours each week *minimum* just on the raiding, plus all the warm-up and cool-down time involved. Sounds like that's every weekday night, leaving your weekends free for spending time with the girlfriend. So 20-30 hours of WoW, and a few hours on the weekend that you spend time with her.

It doesn't matter how much you tell her you love her and care for her and how special she is, if you're turning around and spending so much more time on WoW than with her. However well you tried to explain it, your attempt to describe why raiding is so much "fun" probably resembles what a heroin or coke addict would say to justify their habits (I know it's not the same thing, but that's what the average non-gamer can relate it to).

You're scheduling your girlfriend around your WoW time, instead of the other way around. That's why she's not happy. If you plan more weekday activities with her and then play WoW when there's nothing else planned, she won't mind as much. Are you willing to do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

AppleCobbler posted:

Are you going to tell your grandkids - with any sense of pride - that you spent years of your life in front of a computer screen pretending to be a magical woodland character?

Could be. :laugh:

Actually, given that grandkids will probably still be playing videogames in the year 2050, they may actually be interested in hearing how grandad was a raid-leader in one of those "ancient games".

quote:

You could put that money you were paying for the subscription fee into something useful. For example, take some kind of music lessons, and learn an instrument.

I'll get right on those $15 once-a-month music lessons with my $40 ukulele, Captain Buzzkill.

quote:

Hopefully there's a way you can balance it with your hobby and the friends that are part of that hobby, but if your friends aren't okay with anything less than 100% commitment, they're being jerks, and if they can't understand choosing a woman over a 20+-hour-a-week obsession, they're screwed-up.

In this case it's not so much the WoW guildmates being screwed-up jerks (although they could be) but when there's 30-60 people involved with a really time-consuming raid, the leaders like Grrn have a "duty" to invest a shitload of time making sure everything will go smoothly, or everyone dies or whatever, and wasted their time. If Grrn isn't able to invest the time I'm sure there's another 5 or 10 teenagers with too much free time willing to jump right into the role.