Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

If you're get to the point where playing a computer game is taking away from human contact and ruining relationships then you need to get off of the computer and seriously reconsider your priorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

Gonktastic posted:

Hey, I simply told him about a successful relationship that worked while raiding a lot in WoW. Dozens of people judging him and telling him that the activity he enjoys is horrible and he needs to re-evaluate his whole life, and one gives a story where it works out.

Raiding together is fun. We do lots of other things together too, it's all about finding balence, but it does work.

If you're at the point where you're spending 20 hours a week doing raids and alienating the people around you yes, you need to re-evaluate the way you're living your life.

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

BullProofMonk posted:

You seem biased against this game since it is an MMO. I don't think you are a good source to be telling anyone what they should or shouldn't do with their time, due to this bias.

Just because you don't approve of this method of social interaction, it doesn't mean it's wrong.
It doesn't matter what he's doing, if you're doing something for 20 hours a week and your loved ones are being alienated then it's unhealthy. Nobody's arguing that WOW is intrinsically wrong.

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

Gabe Jenkins posted:

I think the response to the OP's situation has been unnecessarily negative.

He wants help juggling a hobby with the rest of his (currently successful) life. The overwhelming reaction has been to tell him it's not possible and that he's a loser for trying. There is definitely humor in one drunk at a bar leaning over to another drunk and saying "you've got a real drinking problem, pal."

WoW is a scapegoat. If you can't make a relationship work with a 20 hour/week timesink (ANY timesink) in your life, there's no way you can handle raising kids. And yet most people do.

The answer is to be better with your time and to keep your priorities straight. Relationships need time every day and some days devoted to them exclusively.

Simple, show her! Unplug your headset from the speakers so she can hear Ventrilo. If it's anything like my experiences, the guild's vent/teamspeak is nonstop comedy hour.

It should become immediately clear to her why you're playing with these people.
It's not a scapegoat, WOW in this case is clearly causing problems in his oustide relationships. It would be the same for anything that a person would spend that time on. Nobody's specifically targeting your precious game because they hate it.

And are you serious about this teamspeak poo poo? Do you honestly think that his girlfriend who has been feeling neglected as a result of this game is going to do want anything to do with it? Much less sit around while her boyfriend talks to a bunch of dudes that she doesn't know about tin mining?

The bottom line is that he needs to cut back on how much he plays or maybe even cut it out all together if he doesn't have the will power to cut back because soon enough all he's going to have are those friends on ventrillo.

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

Armed Neutrality posted:

Don't forget the rest of the drunks at the bar, drowning in self-denial, telling the concerned drunk not to worry and that he doesn't have a problem, selflessly protecting him from the dangers of personal contact and the outdoors.

Maybe you should bring her around here. WE ALWAYS HAVE FUN HERE :downs:

edit: Better yet, "Bring her to the bar one night, she won't drink but she'll listen to us talking and she'll totally understand everything"

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

Gabe Jenkins posted:

Talking with other people? :)

Seems like you have no trouble being condescending 20 hours a week.

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

Gabe Jenkins posted:

So there are dozens of bitter testimonials that the game is complete rear end and that no sane person would ever play it. But, it's the most popular game out there by miles. It's still growing. Somehow despite being so terrible, it's impossibly addictive?

I still think people are responsible for their own actions.

Just like alcohol, bad food, funky sex, TV, gambling etc., a normal person can work these things into their life in moderation and be fine for it. A broken person overly indulges in these things to fill some sort of void elsewhere.

Amazing contribution:psypop:
You must have some great armor in WoW, because you're being super defensive :haw:

This isn't about playing WoW in moderation, it's about the OP's play which is beyond what's acceptable and clearly affecting his social life. Nobody's saying that you can't play WoW in moderation, but people like the OP who can't find middle ground would be better served with nothing as opposed to 20 hours a week.

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

Gabe Jenkins posted:

In your professional opinion, do you think the majority of the people that are spending too much time with the game would be classified as actually addicted?

In the OP's case where he feels an obligation to internet strangers to keep playing and can't stop for this reason then yes. BUT KEEP DOING STRAWMEN OR WHATEVER. You keep wanting to make this thread about all WoW players when this is about the OP's incident.

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

Well of course leveling is easy, it's a time commitment and nothing else, you could level to 70 with nothing but autoattack (as a melee class) and random greys/whites/greens you loot off of mobs if you wanted too.

Raiding however, is NOTHING at all like leveling. I haven't done much of the level 70 stuff but I remember many encounters in naxx depending 100% attention of the entire raid and fuckups would still happen. Some of the encounters my friends described to me were so mind bendingly difficult I couldn't even fathom completing them. Guilds of the most skilled players with the best gear and the best consumables would wipe on them for hours a night for as much as a month (four horsemen comes to mind) before beating them. The same thing applies if you actually want to be a dominant arena PvPer, you obviously have to have some skill to do that because you're going to be facing others that do.

I am at the top of my game, people shake when they see the name XoXShadowStrikeXoX enter the arena. I'm an accomplished gamer, my clicking skills are second to none.

aRudeTeen fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 2, 2007

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

And if one of those people hits the button .2 seconds late all 40 die, no problem right?

I am guessing you never did saphhiron, thaddius, kel'thuzad, C'Thun, Heigan, or any of the other tough naxx encounters. BWL and MC were all basically "tank, heal, DPS, loot" fights.

Jesus, I never realized there were so many lives on your shoulders. Carry on skilled warrior.

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

What videogame can't be reduced to clicking the right button at the right time?
What video game is worth playing 20 hours a week? You are essentually clicking poo poo at the right time in every game, so you should probably take it about that seriously.

And to answer your question: wii bowling :colbert:

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

POPE NIABZELVS IV posted:

To be fair winning a football game doesn't take much skill either. They are won by football players after all. It takes a lot of dedication and repetition of lifting weights and running and teamwork, but the strategy isn't much more complex than anything a 12 year old learns playing Madden games on the Playstation.

This isn't praising WoW I'm just saying praising the "skill" necessary for any game short of something like Go or Chess is absurd.

This can't be a serious post.

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

Bizarro Toby posted:

Hey, two of those skills at least get you pussy.

Playing guitar and owning a microwave :confused:

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

Bizarro Toby posted:

No, you idiot. Playing the guitar and knowing more about the Civil War than the average guy.
I was just wondering. You see, I own this microwave.

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

I basically have for all practical purposes, I only log into WoW maybe once a week and I have no real desire to do so more often. I just can't stand all of the people saying "you're wasting your time and all you're doing is clicking buttons". I also don't really regret the time I spent playing and I think I actually did get something worthwhile out of it, especially since I did it during times where I wouldn't really have had anything productive to do. Although right now I don't want to get into any games because I enjoy having more time to do nothing and having a flexible schedule, I don't feel that quitting WoW has really improved any aspect of my life other than having more time at my disposal.

This thread is not about you fyi, people are telling the OP to stop playing. He needs to.

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

gently caress football it's for brainless mongoloids anyone could play football wow is the sport of kings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Am I coming off as ridiculously pathetic? And you get it, I like the game? That's interesting, Internet Judge, because I don't play, own, have a copy of, or have an install of WoW. You'd know that if you weren't really, really, ridiculously pathetic. I don't play the game and I don't want to, but that doesn't make my incredibly awesome hobbies that I listed earlier in the thread any better or more important than playing a video game.

Is being a gigantic dick a hobby?