Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

AppleCobbler posted:

Stop playing Warcraft altogether.

I swear, the way people waste their times on these types of games is appalling. Are you going to tell your grandkids - with any sense of pride - that you spent years of your life in front of a computer screen pretending to be a magical woodland character?

People like you who can't prioritize real life over their fantasy video game life really disgust me.

Do you have the same attitude towards other peoples hobbies? Such as someone who builds ships inside tiny glass bottles, or paints?

WoW is a hobby, and its a hobby for ALOT of people. What I dont understand is how people like you can think otherwise. Sure, its a big loving waste of time, but if he derives satisfaction from it, why not? The other aforementioned activies are in the same boat, big loving wastes of time (unless its a job, but then its not a hobby, is it?), but people do it because they derive enjoyment and fun from it.

Who the gently caress cares if he cant tell his grandkids any proud stories? Sure, my grandfather fought in WWII, which is fantastic, but his hobby is WHITTLING WOOD. HOLY poo poo THERES SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF RIGHT THERE! Everytime I see him, and have seen him in the last 19 years of my life, he has been whittling and carving wood. All day every day. The man must've cut down an entire forest in his lifetime. Does he tell me with any sense of pride that he whittles wood all day? Of course he doesnt, because he doesnt give a poo poo, since he takes enjoyment from it.

Are you supposed to be able to regale your grandkids with epic tales of your hobbies? Seriously, get a grip.

Defiant Sally fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 16, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Ajaarg posted:

It's a hobby the same way gambling is a hobby. Not to say you can't do either with some measure of control, but you have to take a hard look at yourself. Is it a hobby or an addiction? If you're struggling to keep up a relationship or a job, here is a hint: it's not a hobby.

I do agree with you. If something begins to interfere with work, or real life relationships, it becomes an addiction. Everything in moderation, even hobbies, but that doesnt mean WoW isnt a hobby or in any way less (un)productive than any other, and it certainly doesnt mean he has to stop playing entirely. I agree, he does need to cut back. Anyone that plays 5 days a week for 4 hours a night (not including time spent out of raid) needs to cut back, definitely.

I myself use WoW not only as a hobby, but as a major stress reliever, since killing things in video games always has and will be the best output of any anger or stress that I've accumulated through the days. The only thing that neutralizes me any better is a nice, long back scratch from my girlfriend. That said, I raid 2 nights a week max, but probably play a few hours a day any other day of the week, maybe 3 or 4 days where I dont play much at all.

Edit: Hahah i probably should have mentioned a bunch of what I've said in my original post. Once again just to clarify, Im not validating what hes doing, im simply saying AppleCobbler really isnt looking at it the right way at all, and showing how WoW is just a good a hobby as any other.

meatlock posted:

Judging by your tone, you're probably the one who needs to get a grip, for your own good.

Im probably just bitter because my parents have the exact same train of thought as AppleCobbler, and think WoW is satan regardless of how little or much you play. But they're in their late 50's so I dont think they'd understand no matter what approach I took.

Defiant Sally fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 16, 2007

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Laporte Fan posted:

Otherwise this game might just be the mortal strike in your relationship. SEE WHAT I DID THER

Oh man, what a crushing blow :v:

Ajaarg posted:

Lots of :words:

I would say its an odd hobby but I know people who just sit on the internet in their free time with nothing better to do. Hell, my current girlfriend used to do it and so does her sister, so it wouldn't really surprise me. On the subject of productive hobbies, im an avid fantasy reader (olol I know, I get enough of it from my friends) and got a guitar for my birthday almost 8 months ago. Further, I've been going to the gym for about 5 years. I consider 3 of 4 of my main hobbies to be collosal wastes of time. Reading about slaying dargons and mans, as well as partaking in such things online wont get me anything in the end, and neither will playing guitar. Weightlifting and bodybuilding is of course, very beneficial but thats not the point of this thread.

Im not quite sure how to respond to your post, to be honest, hehe.

Defiant Sally fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 16, 2007