Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
She feels that you value WoW more than her. You spend far more time with it than with her. To me this seems correct, as you seem unwilling to compromise (5 nights a week, are you kidding me?)

Leaving aside the fact that it's WoW, it could be anything -- drinking, poker, riding motorcycles, anything -- if you do it 4 hours a night 5 nights a week she will unquestionably feel that she is second place behind your hobby. She is correct -- there is no way you spend 5 hours a night 5 days a week with her, unless you don't sleep. You are not being fair to her (and, seriously that's probably too much WoW.)

You need to compromise if you indeed want to keep dating her. I am not so sure you do as anyone can tell that 5 nights a week is way too often to do anything and expect to maintain a stable relationship.

You need to throttle back on the WoW if you want to keep your girlfriend.

Grrn posted:

The problem is that if I did end up quitting WoW I could see myself getting heavily into something else to fill that void.

How about "spending time with her?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Darksim posted:

I call bullshit lets see some pictures.

I call bullshit on this post (it is a bad post)

Deer_fire posted:

Who is the one that's feeling bad because you spend so much time on WoW? Is it only her making you feel that way, or do you feel bad because you want to spend time with her but you also feel a want to help your guild? If it's the former then she probably needs to chill out, as long as you do spend a respectable amount of time with her.

How can he possibly spend an equal amount of time with her if he is raiding 20 hours a week?! Of course she has the right to give him a hard time -- she is expressing her concerns that her needs are not being met. That's communication, I'd rather she said something than just sat there and was sad while he played all night.

Look, a little WoW is fine, but there's just no way he can possibly be giving her equal time, and regardless of what the hobby is, it's only fair in a relationship to expect similar or equal time be given to the girl or boyfriend.

How do you think he'd feel if he didn't play WoW and she spent 20 hours a week with her friends doing stuff she liked and excluding him?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Old Carbuncle posted:

Are you supposed to be able to regale your grandkids with epic tales of your hobbies? Seriously, get a grip.

He has a problem because if he keeps letting his hobby take priority over his girlfriend, he won't be in a position to have any grandkids in the first place.

Your grandpa whittling wood? Hey man, he's an older, retired dude, he can chill and do that. He's got the time, he doesn't work, he doesn't have kids to raise. However this guy is at the other end of his life, he needs to spend his time and efforts in the stuff that young people do -- like starting relationships. A little WoW is okay but choosing between your hobby and your girlfriend? Come on.

Or he'll wind up as an old retired grandfather-age dude, still alone, still banging away at a keyboard, and nothing will ever change.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Gonktastic posted:

My situation is different because we both played before we met, but we played together. Have you tried telling her why it's such a fun, exciting and interesting game for you to play? How there's tons of fun people to interact with, cute gnomes to play, and clothes to get?

Dude seriously what the hell is this

you see, chicks dig cute gnomes and clothes

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Gonktastic posted:

Hey, I simply told him about a successful relationship that worked while raiding a lot in WoW. Dozens of people judging him and telling him that the activity he enjoys is horrible and he needs to re-evaluate his whole life, and one gives a story where it works out.

Raiding together is fun. We do lots of other things together too, it's all about finding balence, but it does work.

We can judge him (to an extent) because for one thing, he posted the thread. He asked for our thoughts, and these are them. Also, more importantly, it's not that he plays WoW, it's that he plays 20+ hours a drat week. In fact, even that would be "fine" (although weird) if his girlfriend shared that love. She obviously does not, and is unhappy about it. Therefore, he has a problem, regardless of how many happy WoW playing couples there are OR how okay it is that he plays WoW.

We are not telling him that WoW is inherently lame (much) nor are we saying he cannot ever play WoW. We are saying that he plays to the exclusion of every other thing, most importantly including his girlfriend, and that is unhealthy.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Eris Is Goddess posted:

And if it's all or nothing for him, maybe he would be better off with nothing, because you sure as gently caress don't need MMOs for life fulfillment.

Seriously. I like having hobbies too, but the books I read and the job I do (even my Firebird, sadly enough!) won't keep me warm when I am very old.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

CumHere posted:

I bet the OP is too busy raiding to provide an update or response.

I was thinking that too :)

The seeming inability to see any conception of balance is what worries me. I love all you guys and stuff but I am going with some friends tonight to eat Fuddruckers and watch The 300, I mean one has to have balance.)

(Perhaps "balance" is not the best way to justify watching a movie with like, several hundred death scenes and lots of super-macho yelling in it, but you know what I mean)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Grrn posted:

I kinda suspected some of the responses I would get, but good lord, you win.

Thank you for the responses of those who genuinely had something to offer.

I think the thing that amazes me the most is that no one actually reads anything other than the OP? There are definitely lots of things I would love to respond to at the moment, but I just wanted to respond to this one because it particularly bothered me. I am off just having finished dinner briefly stopping in to browse what this post has gathered in replies with my girlfriend. We are now going to a movie and have gotten a lot out of a few posts on here. Thanks for your repsonses.

We all "genuinely had something to offer," dude. You just might not want to hear most of it. Honestly, there were like three overtly aggressive/sarcastic responses in this thread; virtually all of the others were trying to be helpful. (And even if there were some insults, hell, this is SA and that's part of what it's about after all.)

Not only that, but I bet most of the people posting here absolutely read more than just the original post. This is only your third post in a four page thread, so in my personal opinion, maybe you shouldn't come in and give us all a hard time for spending 4 pages (almost 160 posts) trying to give good advice? You want to know what's really annoying, it's someone who asks for advice, then takes a dump on the people who try to give it (many of whom have been or are in the same situation!)

Look man, I understand how you feel here, I used to smoke a lot of cigarettes and when I quit every spare second was consumed by thinking of smoking. But eventually the cravings went away and now I can run faster. It's not the same thing but there are similiarities.

You seem to be heading in the right direction by spending time with your girlfriend. Most people here are "rooting" for you to make "the right" choice -- the girl over the game -- so if anything we are (mostly) on "your" side here. Good luck.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

faantastic posted:

Also, all hail officer loot and randomly giving loot to new members. You can be sure this causes drama, and drama is the spice of any good MMO guild.

And what, the world wonders, could possibly be more fun than participating in online drama about pixels?

Rekinom posted:

Building the exact same model plane for 2 years? Painting the same picture? Do I really need to keep going here?

Well, Thomas Kinkaide does.

Nair McBoodles posted:

you better bring your laptop so you can check tin veins or whatever every fifteen minutes.

Nair McBoodles posted:

Not if I'm second string to a troll mage and not as fun as mining tin.

Pardon me for saying so but I sort of had to laugh -- not only is the guy blowing you off for WoW, but he's blowing you off for tin mining. Hmmm how can I use my computer for the most physically boring and lame thing there is ... ahh yes I will electronically mine tin. Top of the world, ma!

I mean he would be more interesting if he like, collected bus transfers or something...

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Eris Is Goddess posted:

I'm so getting Siege! into this. W&W can make us stylish tabards.

I suggest mugs with our callsigns on them so as to promote personal identification with party dynamics. The more people buy in, the better off we'll be.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

toby posted:

More like "pallidin" HA HA HOOO BOY

oh and "gauntlet," get it

"Wizard does not need food!!"

"Warrior needs a diet badly!"

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Yuppidoo posted:

Technically tennis isn't a team sport but drat girl that rear end is bodacious.

What about doubles though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Armed Neutrality posted:

My wife practices German and crochets in groups. I'm sure she'll be thrilled to know how sporty she is.

Combine the two, set it to a techno beat, and you'd have a Euro club dance hit.