Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill

mcbs posted:

Commitment to your guild stuff

This is all fine and good. The fact of the matter is that the OP is probably going to have to make a choice between WoW and his girlfriend. If she doesn't understand the hobby now, she probably won't ever fully come around. Yes, it's a commitment to other people, but those other people are completely intangible to her. If you're spending several days a week playing poker, in person, with people that she has actually met, she'd probably be much more understanding. Committing to people you've never met, over her, is not going to score you any relationship brownie points.

To the OP: Here's your issue. You can't (or won't) give up WoW for her, and she doesn't understand this. Your relationship is going to fail because of this game. You will probably have to choose one or the other. If you could cut back to a couple of days a week playing WoW, maybe your relationship will have a chance, but if you maintain the 5 days a week of raiding, things are going to fall apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill

Eris Is Goddess posted:

Which do you expect to be around in thirty years? Your ranking in WoW, or your girl?

My vote is for neither.

WoW won't be around forever, that's just how online gaming works.

The girlfriend won't be around then either, if you ask me. It's not specifically WoW that's the issue. He's shown that he's unwilling to drop his hobby/addiction/whatever you call it even though it's a huge issue in their relationship. The fact is that he's put her second on his list of priorities, behind gaming. It's his life, and he gets to choose how to live it, but his girlfriend isn't going to stick around if he doesn't start putting her first.

My last relationship fell apart because, among other things, both of us put hobbies ahead of spending time with the other person. We tried the whole "get the other one to participate in your hobbies" thing, but it's really just a band-aid and doesn't address the real issue.

It's all about priorities. If you want to play WoW, or whatever, rather than hang with your girlfriend, you have to realize that she's not going to stick around forever.

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill

Grrn posted:

Quitting or instantly cutting back on playing would definitely benefit me and my girlfriend, but would also be a disservice to others who depend on me.

Oh please. You're not that important, trust me. If you disappear completely from the game, the people that "depend" on you will be screwed up for about a day. Someone will step in to fill the void created by your departure faster than you think. I've played my fair share of MMOs. When a guild/raid leader leaves, others step up. Sometimes those new guys even do a better job. Your gaming buddies will pull through.

At least you seem to be entertaining the idea of dropping WoW. That's a good start. Now you just need to realize that your guildmates will survive your departure.

Enfenestrate fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 19, 2007

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill

Grrn posted:

What exactly have I said to lead you to this conclusion that I am unwilling to drop my hobby? I believe that I did in fact post exactly the opposite if that was what it came down to.

It's that you haven't done it yet. Granted, it's only been a couple days since you posted the thread, but if you're going to drop it, why wait? Show her that she's the most important thing in your life right now.

I think you should just drop the game completely, right now, but if you're going to try cutting back, I guess that's ok too. Relationships need compromises from both people. She should, and seemingly does, realize that WoW is important to you. Cutting back would be a good compromise if you can pull it off.

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill

Anaphora posted:

Look seductively at male
Kiss male
Slide hand into male's pants
Rub gentlyOH GOD IT ALREADY HAS MORE STEPS THAN WoW!!! I CAN'T DO THIS

Actually that's probably the most accurate thing I've read yet in this thread.

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill

Anaphora posted:

ONION BATTLE

Proceed to Kitchen Stadium and speak with the Chairman. He will assign a chef for you to do battle with. Remember, all of the dishes you create must have onions in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill

Bizarro Toby posted:

You've never played these games.

It's more like "find 10 onions and report back."

What I posted was a level seventy quest you noob. God, please stop talking about poo poo you know nothing about :mad: