Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Directed by: James Wan
Starring: Ryan Kwanten, Donie Wahlberg

When I saw the trailer for this movie, I thought to myself, "you know, it might be good." The premise appealed to me, and the fact that it was directed by the Saw guy helped too. Then I realized it wasn't screened for critics. "Well," I thought, "it could always be a fluke and end up being really good." Basically I kept playing mindgames with myself, somehow convincing myself that the movie would be worth seeing.

It wasn't.

Dead Silence was really, really bad. Almost every single horror movie cliche was utilized in the movie, and always with not even a hint of tongue-in-cheek or satire. This movie was entirely straight faced, much to its detriment. It was as if I was sent back in time to the 1980s when typical horror conventions were still thought of as "scary." And Dead Silence was not scary. Oh, the film makers thought it was; old ladies with scary faces grin ominously, tongues are ripped out, faces are distorted (these filmmakers must have watched The Ring a hundred times), dolls' eyes menacingly peer side to side, and musical cues mark the point of "look out audience! You're about to be startled!". But none of it worked as intended. Instead of the terrifying thriller the director thought he was making, what we got was a cliched, silly, watered down, laughable movie that would have been better suited sitting on the shelf at Blockbuster Video as a direct-to-video release.

Don't waste your money.

RATING: 1.0

PROS: Teaches me a valuable lesson: NEVER go to see movies not screened for critics
CONS: See above review

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455760/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I saw this movie tonight because my fiance wanted to go see it, and I have to say it was probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Every twist and turn was predictable, and it took itself 100% seriously. Don't go see this crap.