Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
®
Nov 20, 2002

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

The story so far:

Michael and Deanna's house burned down, the fireman blinks.

The sun is in Elizabeth's eyes, despite her busy teaching career.

The HD's fried.

The landlord doesn't need this.

Caaaaan yoooouuuu diiiigggg iiiitttt??

Grandpa had a stroke.

And finally, at least someone has their priorities straight.

Daily strips can be found here: http://fbofw.com/strip_fix/

I'm open for suggestions as to what to include in the OP, so if anyone has any ideas, feel free to post them.

® fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 19, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

Chewbot posted:

Please. I'm begging.

I just read 7 pages of crazy hoping that somewhere in there somebody explained what the HELL is going on. Why are you people posting FBOFW strips? Why aren't any of the photoshopped strips funny? Why are you making fun of extremely mundane images, they're neither awful nor great... half the time I can't even tell if the images have been photoshopped at all... WHY THE HELL DOES THIS THREAD EXIST??

Please explain.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
You might as well include The Comics Curmudgeon in the OP, since he rags on FBoFW and many others, and is high quality comedy. That is, if there's even a single person reading the thread who hasn't been following from the beginning.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
Many of these strips need no photoshopping, they are that :psyduck:

Today's - looks like Liz and Warren are hooking up :gooncamp:

Crazed_Capybara_Rider
Oct 22, 2000

what happened to her rear end, it's a triangle.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Given that April just watched her own sister get naked, she really doesn't have any leeway to be calling anyone a slut.

Max Nitwit
Sep 11, 2001

I miss the 80s.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Given that April just watched her own sister get naked, she really doesn't have any leeway to be calling anyone a slut.

Depends if she relaxes the sphincter or not, I guess.

Nausicaa
Jun 2, 2005

NEED GAMS BADLY

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Notice that the drapes are WIDE open, too.

Granthony's probably parked across the road. He does it every night.
It is their.... ritual...

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT
The Sunday strip was April babysitting and getting paid. Now we've gone back in time to before the party. That's some good storytelling, there.

HUG ME FOREVER
Dec 6, 2006

Gay for TF2! :love:

Devi posted:

The Sunday strip was April babysitting and getting paid. Now we've gone back in time to before the party. That's some good storytelling, there.

Sunday strips as a rule are never to be counted in with the storylines of the dailies, being that some papers don't run Sunday versions of any/some comics.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
All I want is a reliable way to tell which are the authentic, pre-photoshopping strips being posted in the thread. In the previous threads, I wasn't sure with some of them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Badger Mehndi posted:

Sunday strips as a rule are never to be counted in with the storylines of the dailies, being that some papers don't run Sunday versions of any/some comics.

Especially since the papers generally require the Sundays to be done as much as 3 weeks or even 3 months ahead of when they actually get printed, whereas dailies usually only require a day or so before printing.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm sorry

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cha
Dec 10, 2006

Loving Life Partner posted:

I'm sorry

We were all thinking it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I'm sorry

The look on her face is the second panel that you made is loving fantastic. It just has this "god drat, I want to hit THAT tonight!"

Crazed_Capybara_Rider
Oct 22, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

All I want is a reliable way to tell which are the authentic, pre-photoshopping strips being posted in the thread. In the previous threads, I wasn't sure with some of them.

That's part of the fun though.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Badger Mehndi posted:

Nonsense. Lynn is just branching out into alternative narrative methods. I hear that in a week she's going to start doing flashbacks like Lost, then she'll jump a year ahead like Battlestar Galactica, and then finally tell a story backwards like Memento.

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

Badger Mehndi posted:

But they usually have nothing to do with the current storyline. This one does. Or it very much seems like it does since it could be any time April watched the kids. It's too close and I for one do not like it.

But it does make me glad I didn't buy a paper last night because I would have read that and commented on it in public. Much better to read some Ballard in public.

Nausicaa
Jun 2, 2005

NEED GAMS BADLY

fishmech posted:

Especially since the papers generally require the Sundays to be done as much as 3 weeks or even 3 months ahead of when they actually get printed, whereas dailies usually only require a day or so before printing.

Uuuuh... no, ALL strips are required weeks in advance. I think it's 3-4 weeks for dailies, 5-6 for Sundays.

This was a rare FBOFW where the Sunday ALMOST matches up with the surrounding dailies.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Devi posted:

Like somebody said, it's the Battlestar Galactica school of story telling.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is that a reflection of the quality of photoshopping or a reflection of the strips or both :confused:

I'm sorry

;-* It's wonderful

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

fishmech posted:

That's one thing I always admired about Bill Watterson, Sunday Calvin and Hobbes strips would always follow the current plot arc despite the fact that they'd have to be written ahead of time, but since not everyone got the sunday strips, they'd always be throwaway jokes in the same setting as the arc.

Big Big Moon
Sep 2, 2006

In other regions and restaurants it is mispronounced as General Tsao's, General Zhou's, General Tzo's, General So's, General Joe's,

I'm sorry

This is so, so, so much better than the original. Comic perfection. I would read this strip every day of the week, triangular asses or no.

HUG ME FOREVER
Dec 6, 2006

Gay for TF2! :love:

waffle posted:

That's one thing I always admired about Bill Watterson, Sunday Calvin and Hobbes strips would always follow the current plot arc despite the fact that they'd have to be written ahead of time, but since not everyone got the sunday strips, they'd always be throwaway jokes in the same setting as the arc.

The luxury that Waterson enjoyed though was that Calvin's world didn't consist of more than a handful of settings. The same can be said for FBOFW though - you either see something happening in a generic home situation (which is why really April sitting the kids at one point within thousands of seperate instances that could be occurring over the past "year" can manage to fit with the current storyline) or outside of the home in equally generic settings - store, school, neighborhood. When you talk about sunday strips deviating from daily storylines you're most strictly talking about a departure of the current subject matter - i.e. the Sunday strip was not about immoral-yet-Lynnmoral crushes on currently married old flames.

queenpopsicle
Mar 29, 2005

Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango?
What this return to before the party means is that I really can still hope for my Very Special Panel where April gets caught by St. Michael while she's going roadside with her Gigsville boyfriend instead of babysitting Robin and Meredith.

Or at least I can pretend it happens that way in my mind.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nausicaa posted:

Uuuuh... no, ALL strips are required weeks in advance. I think it's 3-4 weeks for dailies, 5-6 for Sundays.

This was a rare FBOFW where the Sunday ALMOST matches up with the surrounding dailies.

I was just going off what Bill Watterson said in his Tenth Anniversary colelction for Calvin & Hobbes. He mentioned how hard it was for him to make the Sunday strips for one of the camping stories line up. He said something about daily strips only requiring him to be a few days ahead but he had to put that one camping story in 3 months in advance to be guaranteed to have the Sundays with it.

waffle posted:

He rarely matched them up, and in fact rarely had plot arcs. :confused: There would be the multiple week babysitter stories like this one, but the Sundays were unrelated most of the time. They were still rare even after he was allowed the freedom to break the usual panel restrictions in the Sunday strips.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

I'm confused too, I never realized my videogames ran on coal

Dr. Ogeguri
Nov 28, 2006

by mons al-madeen
This one is for those who didn't catch the recent comic of Luann.

BEN!!:argh:

Nausicaa
Jun 2, 2005

NEED GAMS BADLY

fishmech posted:

I was just going off what Bill Watterson said in his Tenth Anniversary colelction for Calvin & Hobbes. He mentioned how hard it was for him to make the Sunday strips for one of the camping stories line up. He said something about daily strips only requiring him to be a few days ahead but he had to put that one camping story in 3 months in advance to be guaranteed to have the Sundays with it.

Yeah well, I'd take anything Bill Watterson claims with a huge grain of salt. The man didn't exactly paint working for a syndicate in the best light. He could have been exaggerating or maybe he really DID demand only a few days' turnover for strips, because he's Bill Watterson.

If he managed to arm-wring THAT short a turnover time, no wonder the whole endeavour stressed him out.

Lynn says herself on the 'How it's done' section of FBOFW that dailies are delivered 4 weeks in advance and Sundays 8 weeks. I'm pretty certain that's industry standard.
It allows for post-production, print-prepping, translation, distribution(some papers may reject a strip and the syndicate needs time to find a substitute) and if the cartoonist gets suddenly ill or unable to work.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I still don't understand the "sun's in my eyes" thing. I keep reading that strip over and over and over, and I just don't get what the "joke" or "message" or whatever was going through Lynn Johnston's twisted loving mind was suppose to be.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

raditts posted:

I still don't understand the "sun's in my eyes" thing. I keep reading that strip over and over and over, and I just don't get what the "joke" or "message" or whatever was going through Lynn Johnston's twisted loving mind was suppose to be.

I assumed she was expressing her inability to celebrate Michael's success, because of her recent breakup. The clouds may have metaphorically parted for Michael, but their absence only serves to remind Liz of her own bitterness.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

fishmech posted:

He rarely matched them up, and in fact rarely had plot arcs. :confused: There would be the multiple week babysitter stories like this one, but the Sundays were unrelated most of the time. They were still rare even after he was allowed the freedom to break the usual panel restrictions in the Sunday strips.
I dunno, maybe my memory is bad and it didnt happen as often as I thought. But i just remember a few different times Calvin and his family would be on a camping trip, and the Sunday comic for the week would be set at their campsite.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

raditts posted:

I think it was supposed to be like the dad is saying the storm is over and now there will be clarity in St. Michael's life. Whereas Elizabeth's happiness is now being sacrificed at his altar

edit: drat you cruster! You and your meddling pooch!

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

raditts posted:

She's trying to hide the fact she's crying by making up a lame excuse.

Santiago3.1
Jun 19, 2004

by mons all madden

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm confused too, I never realized my videogames ran on coal

As a representative of the videogame industry let me tell you that we switched from coal to the still-beating hearts of orphans years ago :colbert:

Cordialatron
Jun 28, 2004

I know I'm some kind of interplanetary agent but I don't think my signals are decoding properly.

Santiago3 posted:

As a representative of the videogame industry let me tell you that we switched from coal to the still-beating hearts of orphans years ago :colbert:

Why can't we just make the orphans mine the coal? It's the best of both worlds!

Lost Mustard
Mar 20, 2004

ABORT!
I posted this toward the end just the gigantic derailing conversation began.

Polyunsaturated Cats
Jun 28, 2006

I'm sorry

Yeah right like April and Elizabeth are the secret gay comic love duo :rolleyes:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

^^^^ :gonk:

Lost Mustard posted:

I posted this toward the end just the gigantic derailing conversation began.

She's an rear end in a top hat

Trellio
Feb 18, 2007

by Ozma

Polyunsaturated Cats posted:

Yeah right like April and Elizabeth are the secret gay comic love duo :rolleyes:

the key word is secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Polyunsaturated Cats posted:

You know, this is something I never considered happening, but how naive of me; of course I'd see it here. Thank goodness for the Internet.