Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

1997 posted:

Just bought a 60" Samsung F8500. It's pretty great so far. I removed all my audio stuff since it needs to get re-done.

Sucks that the screen cracked right away. Goondolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm starting to wish I went 65 or 75 for my TV. :(

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

KillHour posted:

I'm starting to wish I went 65 or 75 for my TV. :(

Yeah, thats like the first rule, always go bigger than what you think cause really quickly it will start to look small. :(

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
I'm sitting about 10' from my 106" screen (projection) and it's glorious

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

niss posted:

Yeah, thats like the first rule, always go bigger than what you think cause really quickly it will start to look small. :(

You sound like my wife!!

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

niss posted:

Heh, I was worried that the 65" i got was going to be too close for my seating distance, and the first thing I thought after hanging it on the wall was "maybe i should have sprung for the 75?"

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Someone on here said I had a baby's TV at 46" and I never looked at it the same way again. Now 65" seems just right, even though my neighbours were laughing at me when I brought it in. (570 sq foot apartment)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Legdiian posted:

I'm sitting about 10' from my 106" screen (projection) and it's glorious

For a month or so. I sit the same distance from my 106" and currently considering changing walls and going to a 140" with speakers behind.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

jonathan posted:

For a month or so. I sit the same distance from my 106" and currently considering changing walls and going to a 140" with speakers behind.

Really? Even the 106 was overwhelming for me the first week or so. I felt like my eyes were darting around the screen constantly. Although now I'm kind of used to it and was thinking 120... but I don't want a screen with holes in it ;)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Legdiian posted:

Really? Even the 106 was overwhelming for me the first week or so. I felt like my eyes were darting around the screen constantly. Although now I'm kind of used to it and was thinking 120... but I don't want a screen with holes in it ;)

I'm using spandex, front layer white, rear layer silver. No visible holes, acoustically transparent. My new speaker setup will not be visually appealing. Just flat black MDF so I'd rather hide it.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speakers/88-special/88special-kit.html

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
My bedroom.. Kind of underwhelming

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

bonzibuddy64 posted:

A few silk plants on the shelves and maybe a couple picture frames and your set...Put the tape away too, that's kind of an eye sore.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

bonzibuddy64 posted:

I don't know why I find this so funny. Good times.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount a 65" TV and 54" sound bar to the wall and stealth the cables between them, as well as cables down to either a small entertainment center or floating shelves for DVR, game consoles, AppleTV, and Ethernet switch. I really don't want to cut into the drywall any more than absolutely necessary and really don't want to have to repaint my living room after.

From googling around, I'm thinking my best bet will just be to cut 3 holes -- TV height, soundbar height, and AV Rack height -- fish cables through the drywall, and stick brush plates on the holes. Does that make sense and will it look good?

I'm guessing that dropping power cords behind drywall (sans conduit) is a fire hazard/bad idea? I'm really not too keen on running another pair of outlets (one at soundbar height, one at TV height). Any suggestions on how to handle powering the wall mounted devices without burning my house down?

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Lawen posted:

I'm guessing that dropping power cords behind drywall (sans conduit) is a fire hazard/bad idea?

It's against fire code. If your house actually did catch fire because you ran AC cords through drywall for purely aesthetic reasons you'd never be able to collect from the insurance company.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Jadius posted:

It's against fire code. If your house actually did catch fire because you ran AC cords through drywall for purely aesthetic reasons you'd never be able to collect from the insurance company.

That's about what I figured. Has anyone tried something like this? It basically lets you just drop romex from a receptacle above, through the wall, and out to an existing outlet below; seems easier than wiring a new outlet.

I'm also now thinking that instead of mounting the soundbar independently under the TV, I could use a soundbar mount that bolts into the TV's VESA mount (something like this) so that I can just ziptie the soundbar's power and ARC HDMI cables up it to the TV instead of cutting more holes in the wall. I need to find a mount that can handle a 54" soundbar though.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Lawen posted:

That's about what I figured. Has anyone tried something like this? It basically lets you just drop romex from a receptacle above, through the wall, and out to an existing outlet below; seems easier than wiring a new outlet.

I have used similar products for mounting my two TV's and they work great and are the appropriate way to do it.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Legdiian posted:

I'm around 10' from 135. It's fine for 16:9 but I feel like I need a 150" in scope format. You get used to any size.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Legrand has a cool kit. All my Legrand hardware (switches, outlets) has been solid.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I don't really know if this is the right place to ask this, but I am currently upgrading from 2.1 to 5.1, and I have no idea how to mount my rear speakers. I can bring the couch out from the wall a bit, but other than that it can't really move at all. I'm okay with either wall or floor mount. Suggestions?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

status posted:

I don't really know if this is the right place to ask this, but I am currently upgrading from 2.1 to 5.1, and I have no idea how to mount my rear speakers. I can bring the couch out from the wall a bit, but other than that it can't really move at all. I'm okay with either wall or floor mount. Suggestions?

Do you have the speakers yet?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Legdiian posted:

Do you have the speakers yet?

Yeah. I'm moving my current fronts (Polk T15) to the back.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

status posted:

Yeah. I'm moving my current fronts (Polk T15) to the back.

I would put them on a floor stand if it was me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I would mount one to a cat and put the cat in the tree

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I'm looking for a receiver for my living room, using a 60" Samsung PLasma, Roku, PS4, and cable box (that runs component because gently caress Charter). I'm going to be getting a 5.1 set-up soon after, but right now I want to consolidate all the inputs through the receiver.

Does anyone have any input on the Pioneer VSX-1124-K or the VSX-80? I do have a solarium with speakers in it so I need multi-zone, and I will probably be getting a Klipsch Reference series for the speakers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Green is the "ideal" location for them, but probably inconvenient. Blue is where I'd probably stick them, if it were me.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just mounted speakers behind my sectional that's up against a wall and put them where those blue drawings are.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Hmm, if they are mounted above like in blue, they would be pretty much directly above my head since they would stick out a bit due to the size of the speaker enclosure. Would that have any effect on the sound? I can probably do the green drawing if I can move my couch a bit to accommodate a speaker stand there. I also like the cat idea, but the cat doesn't, so that's a no go.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

status posted:

Hmm, if they are mounted above like in blue, they would be pretty much directly above my head since they would stick out a bit due to the size of the speaker enclosure. Would that have any effect on the sound? I can probably do the green drawing if I can move my couch a bit to accommodate a speaker stand there. I also like the cat idea, but the cat doesn't, so that's a no go.

What about mounting them in the ceiling, or on ball mount speaker stands attached to the ceiling pointing down over your head? That's how I have mine setup and it sounds pretty good to me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

With ceiling mounted speakers do you plan on going to Dolby Atmos?

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

sellouts posted:

With ceiling mounted speakers do you plan on going to Dolby Atmos?

Not for now, but if it becomes a widely adopted standard in the future I probably will. The ceiling mounted option just happened to work best for my setup since I wanted to run all the wires in the walls.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
So I went the ghetto route for now. The speakers are just resting on top of my couch until I can get some speaker stands or mounts.

It certainly has come a long way since last November: http://imgur.com/a/cXzcK

Stuff:
Panasonic P50S60
Pioneer VSX-823-K
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
Pioneer SP-C22
Polk PSW10
Polk T15
Apple TV 3
PS3
This TV antenna (I live down the street from the CN Tower yet I get channels from Buffalo with less chop than local stuff. Dumb)
Some random Gateway laptop that overheats when I'm trying to watch Spiderman
Ethernet switch to connect everything but the TV to my home network
Some random IKEA TV stand
Some random couch I got brand new FOR FREE (+$100 UHAUL rental) from my friend's rich lazy parents

I'm pretty happy with it now. All that's left is speaker stands and cable raceways or whatever they're called to hide my rear speaker wires since they're currently inside my couch and taped to the floor. I am very afraid my couch is going to catch fire or my robot vacuum will rip the taped down bits up and pull my rear right off the couch and make me cry

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

jonathan posted:

I'm using spandex, front layer white, rear layer silver. No visible holes, acoustically transparent. My new speaker setup will not be visually appealing. Just flat black MDF so I'd rather hide it.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speakers/88-special/88special-kit.html

What kind of light leak are you getting? I've been thinking of switching to spandex.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

status posted:

So I went the ghetto route for now. The speakers are just resting on top of my couch until I can get some speaker stands or mounts.

It certainly has come a long way since last November: http://imgur.com/a/cXzcK

Stuff:
Panasonic P50S60
Pioneer VSX-823-K
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
Pioneer SP-C22
Polk PSW10
Polk T15
Apple TV 3
PS3
This TV antenna (I live down the street from the CN Tower yet I get channels from Buffalo with less chop than local stuff. Dumb)
Some random Gateway laptop that overheats when I'm trying to watch Spiderman
Ethernet switch to connect everything but the TV to my home network
Some random IKEA TV stand
Some random couch I got brand new FOR FREE (+$100 UHAUL rental) from my friend's rich lazy parents

I'm pretty happy with it now. All that's left is speaker stands and cable raceways or whatever they're called to hide my rear speaker wires since they're currently inside my couch and taped to the floor. I am very afraid my couch is going to catch fire or my robot vacuum will rip the taped down bits up and pull my rear right off the couch and make me cry

Put the surrounds at the upper corners of the room angled down towards the couch. They will sound better at a distance. Remember these are not rear speakers, they're surrounds and are meant to be almost lateral to you, slightly behind.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aeka 2.0 posted:

What kind of light leak are you getting? I've been thinking of switching to spandex.

Haven't tested it yet as I am dealing with some stuff before the screen goes in. Not sure how to compare it, but others have measured the above dual layer spandex at roughly .9 gain.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I will look into mounting the surrounds soon. They can't be ceiling mounted because I don't feel like drilling into concrete. I also don't really want dangling wires or plastic wire hiding things running down the walls if I wall mount them up there. I think stands would be my best bet.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That looks like a relatively young house and dry wall? Even if you're renting it would probably take a relatively small hole to drill thrown and drop wire behind, then drill again at the bottom of the wall.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Not sure if this is the right thread to post in but I'm looking for an A/V switcher for an older TV. I have a cable box leading to the TV with just a single coax input. I'd like to connect a Roku along with the cable box. Looking for a switcher/splitter that will accept both an RCA input from the Roku and a coax input from the cable box and output coax to the TV.

Any recommendations?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-rf-modulator/2635031.p?id=1218343206935&skuId=2635031

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Thanks!