Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

I may be looking at getting a new TV to replace my 40" Samsung. I was thinking in the 55-65 range (so, giant). I'm renting and can't mount my TV on the wall, so I am limited to entertainment units. Where are good places to look for bench style units? I figure this would be a good place to check and see what people are using.

Are you afraid of mounting anything to the wall, or just not willing to put the big gently caress off holes required for a mount? If it is the latter you can get away with buying some plywood, screwing that with drywall screws into the studs and mounting your TV to that. It will leave small, easy to patch holes, give some good contrast if you stain the wood, and let you still get a very flush mount if that is what you want.

My current TV is mounted to the wall but in the past I have done the above and it worked great. I actually added a inch thick spacer to use as a cable channel and plain shelf hardware to add some shallow shelves for my AV gear. It took up way less space than a stand, and since you only have to use screws big enough to anchor it to the wall the screws can be small. The plywood takes all the shear weight of the TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

AzCoug posted:

Anybody have pictures of/or use some sort of LED backlighting on the wall behind the TV. I've heard it helps with PQ (although not too sure how that works) and eye strain.

Any links where you can find them?

Bias lighting helps with perceived contrast. It keeps your iris from going all over the place due to changing brightness of the display in a dark viewing space which helps black reproduction.

Ever look at a display in the light and thing "man this looks amazing, the contrast and the black detail" then turn off the lights and think "wow what a mess?" Black is a very relative thing, and bias lighting helps control it. It also reduces eye strain and fatigue by giving your eyes a more constant light level.

While Ambient lighting can do this you have to make sure you get the various light settings right, or it will ruin the purpose. That is why you normally just go for the most neutral light you can.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
How many roommates do you have Jesus.

I actually shouldn't talk. There was a 45 and 62 inch plasma, a 32inch LCD and two projectors here until we managed to offload a bunch of them, and only two people live here.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

wtfmoses posted:

Just finished this.

Pictured: Samsung 8 Series 55" LED LCD TV
Velodyne Speakers and sub

Working on an HTPC solution and supporting alternatives etc. PS3 and Xbox + receiver in the cabinets.

Get some color in that room, that beige on beige is really sad.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

89 posted:

Anybody utilize fake plants? I'm trying to make my A/V living room more roomy and welcome.

Good fake plants can look good, just expect to spend way more on them than actual plants.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

89 posted:

I ask here because I don't know where to ask. This thread really initially inspired my thought anyways. Is there a proper place or thread here on SA to discuss room/living room setups and arrangement ideas? I guess like remodeling projects or mostly I'm interested in just ideas. Especially out of the box ideas. Not buying new furniture kind of stuff, but originality and ingenuity for room decorating ideas.

My room is half bedroom half living room (it's massive and it's the living arrangement I have with my two roommates). But, even though I have a bunch of cool stuff, I just feel like the room feels empty. Lacking in personality. So, I want ideas and inspiration, yo (especially considering the idea like...not having a lot of money. Like hunting at flea markets kind of stuff). Seems like there would be a place to find that at SA and I'm just looking right over it.

Not that I know of. a few tips right off the back is to think vertically, and use a lot of prints/paintings/other wall art. The biggest contributor to that "spartan" feeling in my experience is a lack of verticality. Furniture is all low to the ground, nothing but low stands and AV racks. It leaves a lot of empty space.

That can work if you say, have large windows, exposed brick, or other interesting features that add texture and depth, but most people just have a lot of plain drywall. It would be nice if we all lived in homes with baked in character, but we don't. The trick then becomes to cut into all that blank space. Think of your empty walls like a skyline. What looks more interesting a small midwest town or a major city?.

There are other things to. I prefer contrast, dark furniture with lighter linens and walls to add depth. I am also a big fan of quirky hanging light fixtures. Really though, just getting some stuff up on the walls and breaking up the "skyline" will help a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

The Dave posted:

Ugh I think that poo poo looks so ugly. Either wall mount it of have it sit on a stand. Also find it looking weird when you wall mount just to put a stand under the TV with all your media stuff.

Oddly enough I have a glass Sony Bravia stand I got as a hand me down that fits/looks amazing with out 55" Samsung.

I don't think it looks odd at all when done right. Wall mounting over a stand lets you squeeze out a bit more space under the TV. The real key is using a stand that isnt to tall, and mounting the TV in a way that doesn't make it look like it is floating way above the stand.