Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I've read through this whole thread, and I'm still confused as to what the best software would be for my needs. I have my desktop pc, which is great, 1TB with tons of CD's and movies in .avi format saved. Using windows explorer is fine when I'm watching a movie on my second monitor by myself, no complaints there.

The problem I'm having is that when I go home to my parents, I want to watch my movies and listen to my music on their 5.1 HD setup. What I would like to do is take my sisters old p4 celeron 2.6 box and hook it up downstairs to the tv and be able to play files over the network. Only .mp3's and .avi's, dvd's and the like can be handled by the standard dvd player.

My only question is what software I will need to stream the media and organize it. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I messed around all evening with Meedio and its great so far. It imported all my music fine, the problem is it wont find my .avi movies. I tried every dang import option in the Meedio config, but it didn't work. So I'll look at Media Portal tomorrow if I can't figure out Meedio. I hope I can get it working because I was impressed with what I saw so far. If anyone has any ideas of how to fix it let me know.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I would like to upgrade my media setup right now but I have no clue about how to do it. I currently run windows xp on a 1.8ghz opteron. I have a 500 gig sata hard drive that is only for movies, and a 320 gig which has about 50 gigs of music. I manage my music with winamp, and movies I find them in windows explorer. I use Beyond tv 4 with a ATI theatrix 550pro tuner card.

I would like to have a second computer for my media needs so that my main rig will be for browsing the net/chatting/games/video editing. The problem I'm having is I have no clue what kind of hardware I should get. I would like to play HD content in the future on a dedicated tv, but for now I'd like it to be more of a media server. What would be the best and cheapest motherboard/cpu combo for this task? I'd also like to have room for 2x tuners, have gigabit Ethernet, and the ability to have 5.1 audio through either computer speakers or a home theater. I'm not sure what I should be buying.

The next problem I face is what I should run for a front/back end. I would like to be able to record tv, play/store movies with movie metadata, play music with album art, run stepmania, and run emulators all from this rig. Would it be easiest to use something dedicated like mythtv or should I use vista? I dont want to use mediaportal/meedio because I've played with them in the past and didn't like setting them up. If anyone has idiot proof guides I'd consider them again.

I'd ideally like to be able to have my machine set up, but also allow people to at least access the files on the network so my sister can copy music and movies to her computer, and at maximum, people on the same network could run an easily deployable client to access the contents of the media rig. Right now people get the files by being in the same work group and me sharing folders. I'd like to have either a web interface or a program they can run so that they can access the contents and abilities of my media box. I'd like to have the box hum away on a shelf somewhere while I can access all of its goodness on my main desktop.

I'm not sure if what I want to do easily possible or not, but I'd appreciate anyones input on the matter.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Noghri_ViR posted:

Anyone have advise on where to shop for a HTPC case? I usually shop at newegg but their selection is pretty lovely.

Try Tiger Direct, they have a different selection of cases.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I am planning on grabbing a used Xbox for cheap and modding it with XBMC. Problem is I don't know what chip I should get nor do I know a good vendor to purchase from. Softmod? Hardmod? Soldering or solderless? I'm curious to hear what the goon recommendations are to get XBMC up and running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm trying to set up nuvexport to transcode video from my mythtv recordings. My goal is to have readable names instead of a cluster gently caress of numbers and to compress recordings using divx or xvid. I followed this guide. I set everything up and told mythweb to transcode one of my recorded shows and it didn't do poo poo. I have absolultely no idea how to begin diagnosing this or getting it to work.

Here is my /etc/nuvexportrc :

http://www.pastebucket.net/e5l9fy

edit: ubuntu 8.04, latest mythtv

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 15, 2008