Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

I read through the thread and I think I have a handle on this.

I am looking in to buying a 50" or larger DLP in the next few months. I play a lot of video games, but I play only on the 360 & the PS3. So from what I seem to be seeing in this thread is that lag will not be an issue since the games are all HD quality. Is this correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Lt. Jebus posted:

In modern sets input-lag pretty much isn't an issue period. But its even more negligible when playing on a 360/PS3/Wii through Component cables and above. So no worries for you

Sweet, that was my only concern. Thanks!

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

maverick99 posted:

How much of a better picture is Plasma compared to DLP? I'm just curious because I watched the DiscoveryHD channel on a 50ish DLP and it looked freaking fantastic.

From what I have been told by a few friends that have it is that the picture is pretty much second to none. But from what I understand the burn in is terrible on plasmas, as well as the picture fading fairly rapidly over time compared to other sets.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Moo Moo Bells posted:

So has anyone gotten to use the new LED DLPs from Samsung?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HL-T5...2&s=electronics

I haven't seen it on that website, but I think I read somewhere it has a 16 microsecond response rate? Overall, it sounds like a neat innovation to rear projection DLP. I think it was the Texas Instrument DLP website, but it said that it had a bulb lifespan of 60,000 hours. Seems very energy efficient with less moving parts. The set hasn't arrived at Circuit City yet, so I haven't gotten to toy with it with my friend who works there. Anything new and exciting to come out of it?

I have not heard of this type of TV before, but if it eliminates the problem with the rainbow effect then it seems like it solves the one major drawbacks of DLP sets.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

EnergizerFellow posted:

For modern plasmas this is largely no longer true. Plasmas made in the last year or two have burn-in and fade rates as good as, or better than, the last of the CRTs. Did you have burn-in and/or fade issues on your CRTs, honestly?

I have never experianced burn in first hand, I have just been told by other people. I heard the problem really occurs in video games because they have lots of static images like HUD displays and health meters.

Is the picture fading faster than sets that use different technologies still a problem?

Moo Moo Bells posted:

http://www.dlp.com/hdtv/led_hdtvs.aspx?strt=t&ct=633122629255838420&strt=t&gd=4475c9b0-2f14-442d-bef3-2952e305b381

That's the official website, and it doesn't look like it was updated. It has last year's LED DLP TVs, and according to some websites (Google DLP LED), the Samsung on that page was $4,000. According to Samsung's website, this year's 61" LED DLP is $3,000. Huge price drop from what appears to be a prototype of sorts.

I'm trying to find where I read it, but I swear one website said that these LEDs eliminates the rainbow effect. However, because the 2007 LED DLP TVs were just recently released, it doesn't have much information about them. All the information I can find is on the HL-S model from last year.

I would be hard pressed to buy a $3000 dollar TV that I don't know anything about, no matter how good the claims, without hearing some reviews from people that have bought it. However I do have to say that those are some sharp looking sets they have on that website.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

.Nathan. posted:

No. No. No. Burn-in isn't a concern at all and i won't address it since i seem to make a similar post every couple of days about how much abuse i give my plasma.

Fading faster? In 16 years my plasma will only be at half brightness, simply turning up the brightness will put it back where it is today. That's far better than CRTs ever were in their prime, obviously better than every bulb-based set, and better than LCDs which, according to specs, only have a bulb rated for ~60,000 hours. Plasmas aren't perfect, but the ridiculous myths surrounding them are just absurd. You have to remember that plasma sets have had a short, but quickly evolving product cycle. While there may have been some rough issues in the first gen sets, those are long fixed. No one would compare a TI-83 display to a modern 1080p LCD, so don't believe everything you hear about plasmas from your friends' friends. Atleast i don't still hear people saying things about the gas needing to be refilled and other such nonsense.

Sometimes it's hard to know whats true and what isnt true with stuff like this. I can walk in to Best Buy and look at the TV's, but all of them look good in the store, and none of the sales guys have ever heard anything bad about any of the TV's.

But I may have to look in to a plasma now, I have always liked the picture quality, but there was always rumors swirling around that scared me away.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

EnergizerFellow posted:

To quote myself from this very thread: "For modern plasmas this is largely no longer true. Plasmas made in the last year or two have burn-in and fade rates as good as, or better than, the last of the CRTs. Did you have burn-in and/or fade issues on your CRTs, honestly?"

And after myself having been told the same thing on the page just before this one, I went out and read a bunch of stuff on Plasmas and reviews, and came across this to further solidify anyone who might not trust the wisdom of people from the internet:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PlasmaFAQ?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&langId=-1&catGroupId=24973

Panasonics own website talking about burn in and break in periods.

I think I might be going with a Plasma, I went to Best Buy today to look at some of the plasmas there and they all gave me wood.

Also since we are talking about plasma screens here, everything I have read says to play videogames for an "acceptable" amount of time, although they don't give an hour count, or even a rough estimate. After how long should you switch the TV to something else and give it a rest from all the static images in video games? (This is assuming the TV has gone past the break in period)

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Chemmy posted:

I play a lot of video games, I haven't had a problem and I'm still in the break in period. Honestly don't worry about it. Turn the brightness down when you first get it, and just use it.

Ok cool, I am glad that everything I had been told about Plasmas in the past was pretty much false, because plasmas are pretty sweet :rock:

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Mr. Gone posted:

Well, a lot of things about plasmas were true, but not anymore. I remember when Chemmy's earlier iterations of this thread were basically DON'T BUY PLASMA, and rightfully so at that time.

Personally, I think DLP sets are going through the same process right now. Many of the downsides of owning a DLP set have been overcome by new technology.

And in both cases this is good for me (Or any consumer for that matter)

It looks like the only thing I will be constrained by now is budget!

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

i have seen some hate for Sony in here, but I was at my cousins house last night and he had one of the SXRD's and WOW it looked pretty loving good. I don't remember what size it was, but I know it definately wasn't the largest size they make for that model. However the picture looked pretty loving excellent, anyone else have any experience with these?

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

.Nathan. posted:

They're by far the best rear projection set, but that's still like having the best form of cancer. If the lack of viewing angle, depth, shimmering screen, etc. doesn't bother you, then they're good sets from a price/image size standpoint.

Can you expand on the shimmering screen? I didn't notice this on my cousins TV, but I wasn't exactly there for an extended amount of time. Also what is the viewing angle on these sets? I was looking at it straight on and didn't thing to see how it looked at an angle.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

pickitup13 posted:

While you guys are talking about the Panasonic 42PX60U, I'm looking at the 37" model. Since I'll be using this mostly for gaming (sometimes hours on end), will there be a problem with burn in? Of course, I'll run one of those test dvd's for the first 100 hours, but provided I do that, will I still have to worry about playing my video games for more than a few hours?

Edit: Well, considering somebody just posted in a new thread that they have burn-in on their plasma after playing super paper mario and guitar hero for a few hours, then I guess this TV really isn't an option. Back to looking at the 37" sharp's...

From two pages a go:

.Nathan. posted:

No. No. No. Burn-in isn't a concern at all and i won't address it since i seem to make a similar post every couple of days about how much abuse i give my plasma.

Fading faster? In 16 years my plasma will only be at half brightness, simply turning up the brightness will put it back where it is today. That's far better than CRTs ever were in their prime, obviously better than every bulb-based set, and better than LCDs which, according to specs, only have a bulb rated for ~60,000 hours. Plasmas aren't perfect, but the ridiculous myths surrounding them are just absurd. You have to remember that plasma sets have had a short, but quickly evolving product cycle. While there may have been some rough issues in the first gen sets, those are long fixed. No one would compare a TI-83 display to a modern 1080p LCD, so don't believe everything you hear about plasmas from your friends' friends. Atleast i don't still hear people saying things about the gas needing to be refilled and other such nonsense.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

pickitup13 posted:

So, then how do you respond to the thread with someone who has burn in after playing for a few hours? It is a budget brand plasma that he has, but it's not like its a 6 year old plasma or something like that.

I couldn't tell you, I don't know a lot about plasma screen TV's, I am just reposting the advice I got, and from most of the research I have gotten online it seems that most major brands will not have a problem with burn in. It seems that most of the major brands use things like pixel shifting and other such technologies to fight burn in, and perhaps the lower end TV's do not use such technology.

I am sure someone who knows much more can give you a far better explination than I can.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

edit: nevermind

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

I was at Best Buy today and almost bought the 50" Sony SXRD, but I didn't because when I thought of putting that much money on my credit card it made my stomach hurt. I guess it b[]will[/b] have to wait until next year. :sigh:

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

What is the general census on extended warranties for televisions? The extended warranty for the Sony SXRD's is 400 loving dollars, in the end is it worth it? They told me it would cover replacing the lamp which seems like it would make it worth the cost alone, but I am not sure.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

EnergizerFellow posted:

In general they are worthless, IMHO, plus goodies like the Costco ones are history now too.

Oh, and friends don't let friends buy Sony. Do yourself and your wallet a favor a buy whatever rebadged model that Sony actually is.

The SXRD I was looking at is cheaper than just about every other DLP in the store, and looked better to boot. I don't see why I should buy something else. :colbert:

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Also, many credit cards automatically extend the warranty. I know my Amex card extends the factory warranty by a year. So, I actually have a two year warranty on my TV rather than just the one year.

I wasn't going to use a credit card, I was going to use my Best Buy card, and I don't think they are that charitable. :(

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

The price of the TV wasn't to bad, it was the price of the stands and the extended warranty that really jacked it up. I think I will wait until a new model comes out and they mark these models down.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

.Nathan. posted:

Grab a <$100 stand from Ikea, Target, etc. Extended warranties are a waste of money.

I don't have an Ikea near me, but I didn't even think of looking at Target. Doh :(

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Does anyone know of good websites that have a lot of pictures of peoples home theater setups? I looked through the thread in this forum but I would like to look at a lot more to get a feel for how I can set things up. I searched google but I am coming up empty.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

What is everyones opinion on phillips tvs? Best by has a 42 model with the ambient light in the back. The price is good, the size is good,amd its a 1080p set. I just dont know poo poo a out phillips tvs.

(Sorry if this has been talkd about n this thread recetlu, i am browsing frpm my phone and cant do a good search)

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Well I ended up getting an LG 42LB5D and I am loving loving it so far, goin from a 27" tv to a 42" tv is quite a move, it's awesome.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

What is the best system to use for adjusting the image on a LCD tv? I need something that walks me through the steps and explains whabi am suposed to be doing. I know there a few options like the spyder and the pantome huey, but I don't know what is the best.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, no problem with my 'generic' monoprice cable and I paid like 1/100th of what BestBuy wanted for a monster cable.

The other night I was at my friends house and he was teling me that I should buy Mnster Cables because they are better, because they have NITROGEN INJECTED COATING THAT MAKES THEM 100 TIMES BETTER THAN THE CHEAP CABLES.

I told him he was full of poo poo, monoprice cables work just awesome. He refused to beleive me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Does anyone use the Tivo HD boxes with their TV's? I have a regular Tivo and I am thinking of switching to a HD box and getting two cable cards, since it is only 3 dollars a month for both cards, which is less than the cost of a set top box. I am not to concerned about losing the On Demand stuff because I Really don't use it all that often, so it's no big loss.

I also can't tell what the difference between Tivo HD & Tivo Series 3 HD. They both appear to be dual tuners, the series 3 just appears to look fancier, have some more recording time, and have a backlit remote. Is that the only difference? As long as the regular Tivo HD can do all the things a regular Tivo Series 3 box can do, I am fine with that. (The only other thing I can see is that it doesn't specificly say you can pause live TV)

• Locked thread