Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Moo Moo Bells posted:

I should have also asked you what cables you are using. Are you using component cables to get 480p (the red, green, blue cables)? Or are you using the composite cable (yellow cable)? The yellow cable is only able to do 480i, a standard definition picture. The television has to do a lot of processing to deinterlace the image and then bringing it up to its native 720p.

Though I have never used anything on it that was standard definition, I have heard it does have issues upscaling the image to 720p. If you get component cables for the XBox, it should display the image into 480p (a progressive image). It should be easier for the television to just scale the image to 720p.

Madcatz component:
http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801798

That should hopefully fix the issue. I have never used that television for anything at standard definition, so I can't say for sure.

If you need the optical audio output, you'll need to buy the official component switch from Microsoft.

Final note: If you do have component all set up, make sure you have the video settings in the menu at 720p and widescreen.

Edit: Reading that Amazon list, it says it is an "Aspect Ratio: 4:3". Is your TV widescreen? Otherwise, I haven't used that TV at all. If it's an HD television and not widescreen, it's probably a cheapo economy line of television where parts such as processing is m'eh at best.

If it is 16:9 widescreen, Amazon becomes stupid for their listing.

To build on upon this there are really 2 options available, and they are not mutually exclusive (IE you can do them both if you want)

1) Most new TV's have a "Game" AV mode which speeds up the internal de-interlacing (the culprit for the lag) at a slight cost in visual quality. I'm not sure if the HL-S models have them, but I'm pretty sure the HL-R models did so I can't imagine why they wouldn't. In any case, if you've got it turn it on and give it a shot. Its the cheapest option.

2) As Moo Moo Bells mentioned, switch to Component cables. Since all XB games at least support progressive scan (something that isn't true with the PS2) that should eliminate the need to de-interlace and thus your problem. My old HL-P had TERRIBLE input lag (and no game mode) and this fixed the issue. Most PS2 games were still unplayable.

There is a third comedy option that involves you buying an external scaler or receiver and running the XB through that, but its money you don't need to spend because your problem will be most likely solved by one of the two above options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Anyone have anything negative to say about the Samsung LN-S4095D 40" LCD TV.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000GDEZLQ/ref=nosim/luby-20

It seems like a really compelling price for a 1080p set.

I looked into the 46" version of that Samsung when shopping for my new TV. It has excellent (for an LCD) picture quality, and is more full featured than the TV I ended up buying (It has PIP and a VGA input). I ended up going with a Sharp because I got a really great deal, and that Samsung doesn't handle de-interlacing 1080i inputs as well as the Sharp does.

The world-ending, soul-crushing AVS forums problem associated with that model of Samsung is "Clouding", which is light "cloud" artifacts that appear during a black background.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

CubanMissile posted:

If you have a cable box that will upconvert a signal and a TV that will also upconvert, which one should you set to do that job?

You want the one that does the best up/down converting. The only way to know for sure is to trial it.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Bukanza posted:

I'm having difficulty deciding between two very similar HDTVs. Can someone give their input? Here are the two contenders:

Sony 40" Bravia LCD (KDL40S2000)
- 1366x768 (720p, 1080i)
- 1300:1 Constrast
- 8MS refresh
- Only 1 HDMI Input
$1475

Sony 40" Bravia LCD (KDL40V2500)
- 1920x1080 (1080p)
- 1300:1 Constrast
- 8MS refresh
- 2 HDMI Inputs
$1799

Now what I'll be connecting is:

- Wii (component)
- Xbox 360 + HDDVD Player (component)
- Apple TV (HDMI)
- Upscaling DVD Player (HDMI)

So is it worth the extra $325 to have 1080p over 1080i, and save money on a HDMI switcher which will be required if I go with the cheaper option?

(As side questions: 1) How much are HDMI switchers and 2) If a 1080i set gets a 1080p signal, does it convert it to 1080i or 720p?)

The conventional thinking around here is that you have to have a larger screen to take full advantage of the 1080p screen. That said I've got a 46" 1080p and I think its fantastic, so your experiences may vary. Based on the uses you outlined, I'd say if everything else was equal get the 720p set.

There is a HDMI Video Switcher/upconverter that I've just recently seen, that retails for around 500. Its name escapes me but it looked like a pretty decent unit. Pure switchers are much much less (mono price has them starting at 30.00 for a push button one). . For your second question that depends on the TV. Most older TV's can't see a 1080p signal at all, but I would imagine the newer ones would down-convert them to whatever your panels native resolution is; so in the case of your panel, 1366 x 768

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

m3jsh posted:

Lt. Jebus, do you love your Sharp 46LC62U as much as me? Everything looks fantastic, especially Virtua Tennis 3 at 1080p. I seem to have two separate stuck pixels that are only noticeable on a black screen; I saw someone on avsforum suggest unplugging the set for a couple hours so I'll try that, but really no big deal. I love this TV.

I do. I really lucked out on that one. I'm on my second TV as my first had a self inflicted dead pixel cluster (like 4-5 in a clump) in the centre of the screen that was impossible to miss. One quick exchange later and the problem was solved. Note to self: Don't Wii Bowl with martini glasses within shattering range.

Interesting to note that I had TWO Sharps, both with serial numbers 6XX (the "problem models") and no banding to be seen.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

m3jsh posted:

Aha! I remember you mentioning this cluster of dead pixels, but you never mentioned WHAT caused it.

Yeah, the sad thing is everyone involved was super paranoid about making sure their wrist straps were secured.

At least it was me that did the bonehead move and not one of the other goons there.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Insidious5 posted:

I'm about to go pick up a Samsung HL-P4663W from tigerdirect.com ( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1362673&CatId=1830 ) tomorrow. I keep hearing about reliability issues and a buzzing sound coming from the cooling system as the set gets older. Anyone have any issues with this tv? I love the price on it, and I don't think I can get another comparable tv for that price.

I had this exact model TV for just shy of two years. Overall it was a decent TV. PQ was good on both HD and decent on SD sources as it had a really good scaler. Downside to having this good scaler was the input lag on SD consoles, and there isn't a built in game mode to fix it. Hope this isn't an issue with you. Has one HDMI and one DVI (which is nice) as well as VGA. I never notice "rainbows" and the silk screen effect wasn't too bad. Never had a buzzing problem.

Ultimately the TV proved unreliable, as it started to have periodic cooling issues and eventually complete failure of the cooling unit (rendering the TV inoperable) and I replaced the TV with a new LCD under the extended warranty (although it took months for futureshop to finally approve the replacement). Micro-displays are more prone to problems, especially when you look at the older models like the one you are looking at. Keep that in mind.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

bull3964 posted:

One thing to note, HDMI may have overscan. I know that's the case with my samsung.

That's not really an issue if you are just going to use it for a HTPC or playing games, but desktop usage may be a bit annoying.

On that note, Sony and Sharp TVs have a Dot-by-dot mode that is fantastic with HTPCs. Basically they eliminate overscan and work the same as computer monitor with it on. Not really useable with cable due to the fact that most channels are designed with some overscan in mind, and thus you get garbage at the top or bottom of the screen with that mode on.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

ShaneB posted:

Just to avoid any confusion, composite CABLES can carry an HD signal just fine. If you use a classic Red/White/Yellow cable for your R/G/B component cable it will work. Composite as an audiovideo connection standard will NOT carry HD. I know that is what you were saying, but many people are noobs here and may be confused.

It would probably be more apt to say that RCA cables can carry HD signals just fine, as if I was a video newb reading your post I would be confused as hell.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Mr. Gone posted:

Why are people so averse to buying DLPs? It seems like every time people come in asking what kind of set to buy, they're already locked into LCD or Plasma. I rarely see anyone considering a DLP. I have a Samsung HL-S5687W DLP and I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

DLP's are great from a screen size/price standpoint (I did own one for just shy of two years) but I went LCD because I like the form factor better, DLPs are more prone to problems and I was really tired of the Silk Screen Effect.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

.Nathan. posted:

No. That's ridiculous. Pioneer > Panasonic > everything else.

While I have no real knowledge of Plasmas (and thus am not agreeing or disagreeing), is there any way to quantify that other than "In my opinion..." or "The boys at AVS say..." ?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

jegHegy posted:

Yes, they are. They're either using values from their so-called "Dynamic Contrast" which changes picture properties depending on the scene that's being displayed, or just putting in eye-damagingly bright backlighting to bump the numbers up.

While its fun to hate on them, Samsung, Sony and Sharp are very clear on their websites as to whether they are stating Dynamic or Static contrast. Samsung only lists the Dynamic values (which are always like 10000:1) and both Sony and Sharp list both. While I realize they still aren't OMGDEEPBLACK plasmas, they've come a long way.

While I'm sure they use absolute best case scenarios to get those numbers (kinda like how Apple quotes an 18hr battery life on Ipods), that doesn't mean they are outright lying.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

SkaWes posted:

I read through the thread and I think I have a handle on this.

I am looking in to buying a 50" or larger DLP in the next few months. I play a lot of video games, but I play only on the 360 & the PS3. So from what I seem to be seeing in this thread is that lag will not be an issue since the games are all HD quality. Is this correct?

In modern sets input-lag pretty much isn't an issue period. But its even more negligible when playing on a 360/PS3/Wii through Component cables and above. So no worries for you

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

KaLogain posted:

I hope there is something I can do, I dont' want to have to pack this back up.

Is it doing it with all inputs? It looks like you may have a lemon. I haven't heard any "normal" problems like that associated with the 92U's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

New HD channels can't come fast enough... As it is Shaw Cable here in BC just updated their HD package with another 6 or so channels (essentially all the US networks timeshifted and HDnet). I'm waiting for the big switch when the "speciality" channels go HD. Although that might be a few years.

• Locked thread